PDA

View Full Version : Animated Ecosystem ?

kivanc_k
07-01-2005, 06:29 AM
Hi..
I`ve already made an animated material with using 2 materials and an image sequence applied as "Animated Map" function in filter of "Distribution of 2 Materials" part.

However, whatever I done, I couldn`t use similar methods when the materials are ecosystem since, I had to hit "Populate".

A solution I did is to add 2 materials, and animate them over time with "Distribution of Materials" (as mentioned first), then I`ve changed 2nd material from "simple" to "ecosystem", it didn`t work either.

Is there any advice ?

My aim is to make such scene : As a vehicle moves on terrain, grass under wheels disappear.

Thank you for reading.

kivanc_k

mdunakin
07-03-2005, 09:41 AM
I'm completely interested in this info also.
So, please, if anyone has any info on this, let us in on it?

thanx.............md :)

videodv
07-03-2005, 02:19 PM
I have been doing many tests with animated textures both on single and mixed mats with a lot of success but as of yet I have not been able to apply the same tec to an eco system, it seems to me you need to repopulate the eco for each frame of the anim.

I am going to try and see if I can workout a python script for this next week unless someone beats me to it.

videodv.

kivanc_k
07-04-2005, 12:24 PM
One VERY important thing about this subject :

Let's say, you populate on everyframe, depending on other variable settings (like density etc.) , you just can't set the exact previous location of new populated objects. Trees dance over the ground on each populated time.

If doing in python (I'd do the same but ceased because of lack of time), you must always define/remeber X,Y,Z coordinates of each object in "previous frame", which I think, opposes Vue style approach on huge element scenes.

mdunakin
07-04-2005, 06:39 PM
Hmmm,,, I was having a thought about this, considering I still don't even have the
program yet, but, couldn't the wheel tracks that get made over the grass somehow
be done with a sequence image map? First have your base scene (or whatever) and
then have your vihicle drive over whatever grassy areas it needs to and sve out the
tread from it somehow and then use that sequence as an image map and apply it to
your eco system in some mannor like that? Or somehow aplly it in another way that
I can't think of, since I don't know what the thing looks like yet?

Or some other version of this idea?

.............md :)

kivanc_k
07-04-2005, 09:38 PM
Yes, that`s exactly what needs to be done in LightWave and relative software. But unfortunately Vue, handles things different. And ecosystem is a huge polygon handling system with its own methods. In traditional systems (and hoped EcoSystem must do it either), we go with sequential image mapping with some parenting. But, ecosystem approach works different. Anyway, thank you very much for advise.

mdunakin
07-04-2005, 09:58 PM
Well, this will be one fun experimenting thing I can do whe I get into the program, as I know I'm going to need to do the same sort of things in my own animations.
So, if I "do" descover something, I'll be sure to post up what I find.
I love a good challenge like this one anyway.

...............md :)

kivanc_k
07-05-2005, 05:39 AM
Well.. I think I solved it...
First of all, I started (again) with the hypotesis,
-ecosystem is a group of objects
-placed upon a surface through surface normals, multiplied with some other variants
-and sticked to the OBJECT, as if they are its parented children

So, after that (although I have done any combonation with texture and material stuff)

I realized that, when an object is transformed with traditional methods, ecosystem over the surface was changing also.

So, I divided my main surface to sub objects (no big deal, I now have 3 cubes looking just my previous 1 piece cube). Movind, scaling etc. the middle object (3 were ecosystemmed), yes I almost grabbed the affect. Although it is not useable on most cases, it worked for me. I layered the objects and transformed them.

This might seem dull, but this is REALLY the only way in my opinion because, when an object is deformed with interaction (like booleans), the ecosystem suffers because it is once calculated upon objects model geometry. So, and deformation to model, must be keeping objects main form.

CGTalk Moderation
07-05-2005, 05:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.