PDA

View Full Version : MAX - bones- hand question?

Gamoron
10-22-2002, 08:21 PM
I'm adding bones to the hand of my character and I'm using R4. Now I knnow that in older versions of MAX bones were a pain and you couldn't scale them. But in R4 its okay for me to scale and move them around independently to get them in the right spot. Or should I be doing it like in older versions - by rotating the parent bone in hopes that I'll get it in a relatively good position?

KiboOst
10-26-2002, 03:03 PM
I really don't think you should scale bones, even in r4/5. Rotate/move the parent. You can also edit its properties (into modify panel), or if it still doesn't match your goal, put an edit mesh and play with this.

Kib

LFShade
10-26-2002, 09:28 PM
The preferred method for editing bone rotations/positions in R4 is to switch to the Hierarchy panel and hit the "Don't affect children" button. Then you can drag bones around at will without the nasty side effects of scaling. The only thing to consider is that in order to effectively work with a bone this way, it must have a child bone (you'll understand when you're doing it).

Gamoron
10-27-2002, 04:27 AM
Cheers guys. Okay I'm gonna just delete them and start again. I hate rigging!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.