PDA

View Full Version : M.C. Escher

remcv8
07-01-2005, 03:31 AM
After seeing the Dali thread I figured I'd start an Escher thread.

What are your views on M.C. Escher's work and how does it influence your work?

http://www.mcescher.com/Gallery/recogn-bmp/LW448.jpg

DimensionalPunk
07-01-2005, 08:16 AM
If he was alive today he would be doing CG art and he would be making us all look really bad.

DaddyMack
07-01-2005, 09:43 PM
Escher was one of my 'heroes' when I was young, the mathematical nature of his work still inspires me and I often find myself using negative space to create additional imagery in pieces... I've done a lot of original celtic weave styled designs and I often find Eschers influence in the direction the take... The guy was a freak!

NOOB!
07-01-2005, 11:15 PM
if he did that wierd pic with the stairs in 3d or even 2d animation,that wud be one trippy movie.

Margie
07-01-2005, 11:53 PM
Someone (Christobál Vila) made a 3D animation based on that snakes Escher pic. It's awesome!

http://www.etereaestudios.com/docs_html/snakes_htm/snakes_index.htm

ThirdEye
07-02-2005, 12:04 AM
Ok now i realise where this cd cover comes from

http://www.meshuggah.net/p/cover-c33-big.jpg

P.Alexander
07-03-2005, 03:15 PM
So this is the man whose work these staircases you encountered in Act 2 in Diablo II are based on, very nice work :)

sambrade
07-03-2005, 03:41 PM
Escher has been one of my favourite artists since a very young age. I have spent many hours creating my own tessellation images based on the principles I learnt from his work (see example below entitled leaves - hand drawn in ink, pencil crayon and water colour). From traditional to digital art Escher continues to inspire all aspects of my work.

Nemoid
07-03-2005, 06:12 PM
Well, Esher approach to art is very fascinating to me and in everyone of its pieces you can find something really interesting.

i don't always like his drawing style in every piece ,(i like his B/W pieces more than coloured ones) but i appreciate the most the studies he made on perspective and to express the concept of up/down, the pieces with the stairs and the two hands drawing themselves.

he really expressed mathematical concepts , perspective ones, and also paradoxes through etching, used to study and project them very carefully, cause he had a really analytical mind.

he made me understand that the impossible can be imagined and drawn

Blikkie
07-03-2005, 11:02 PM
Escher wasn't an artist. He saw himself strictly as an illustrator. I for one don't know what to think about that, I like his work, some of it a lot, but well, if he didn't intend it as art, it might not be art after all.

So maybe his approach to art was that he didn't want to make art, but explore the graphical consequenses of his mathematical ideas.

Rudeone
07-05-2005, 06:20 PM
if he did that wierd pic with the stairs in 3d or even 2d animation,that wud be one trippy movie.

Then you would be very interested in this short 3d animation in wich I'm doing the concept-art and storyboards. One scene is completly devoted to the work of Esher and it does contain those stairs. It also features Esher's Mobius strip, topsy-turvy's and one of his famous patterns. It's gonna be one trippy animation like you stated.

As for my opinion on Esher's work, dispite being really sick of it right now (after spending days in a row going trough a book with his complete work, trying to catch his work in my concepts, loads of stress and sleepless nights) it keeps amazing me every time. I really like how a master in mathematics, in wich logica is the keyword, can come up with these impossible designs, although a lot of his work isn't surreal and impossible at all.
The man was clearly a genius and if he did live today he would no doubt be one hell of a cg-artist.
BTW Esher was born in my hometown, quite close to where I live wich I think is pretty awesome.

CGTalk Moderation
07-05-2005, 06:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.