PDA

View Full Version : Mental Ray Artificating, HELP! :(

mrselfdestruct1994
07-01-2005, 02:36 AM
Hi there guys, I hope this is the right forum for this question but if not mods feel free to move it.

I am trying to light an indoor architectural scene but am having great difficulties so far. I originally decided to go with mental ray because it seemed so much easier than Radiosity and I am using a significant number of mental ray textures. In the early stages of development I noticed a bit of artifacting in the form of coloured spots:

http://www.exelarm.com/17.06.05.v2.hiqual.jpg

I originally thought, ok fine, I'll just photoshop things like that out, however recently when I tried to render the finished piece with the same settings I got this horrible render:

http://www.exelarm.com/26.06.05.MentalRay.7.42.Hours.jpg

This took 7 hours to render an 800 x 600 with default final gather and gi settings, one mr area omni. How can I stop mental ray being retarded? Also, is it possible to render the lighting and shadow information to texture like you can with radiosity or not? I have to do a flythrough and it would take a lot less time if I didn't have to calculate lighting every frame.

Thanks in advance.

CiaranM
07-06-2005, 12:38 AM
I suspect that you have a problem with your GI settings. Turn of FG and play around with your GI settings - start with a low number of photons emitted by the light, say 1000 and increase the GI intensity of the light, maybe 1000000, until you can clearly see the photons. Gradually increase the number of photons and change the intensity until you get a good balance. You should also be tweaking the GI radius to get a smoother result.
In MR you can save the GI and FG maps to disk so that they do not need to be re-calculated every fram, or ad the very least the file can be appended to.
There are plenty of tutorials out there regarding Mental Ray and GI etc.

Good luck.

CGTalk Moderation
07-06-2005, 12:38 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.