10-22-2002, 09:00 PM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/7/27720.html

SheepFactory
10-22-2002, 09:43 PM
so whats new ? , lol

:D

Munson
10-22-2002, 11:00 PM
I just wonder how long they can hold on to Maya and maintain it they way it needs to be. They did close all the offices before, maybe that was just Alias|Wavefront but its still a big worry. If SGi made some decent and cheap kit they would survive. :hmm:

meloncully
10-23-2002, 08:57 AM
of course they are going to lose money, i mean look at the boxx systems coming out, for a half of the price, or even a third you can buy an awesome dream system from boxx, or you can buy an overrated slow machine that doesnt compare to the boxx for say 20k more? (correct me if my prices are off)

Goon
10-23-2002, 09:40 AM
might i ask what possible advantages an sgi machine might have, disregarding its lack of modern day speed? is there something special about it that makes it sufficiently desirable inspite of its venerability and cost?

PNelson
10-23-2002, 11:05 AM
Pretty soon, anyone can afford Maya.. I'm not referring to the software, but the COMPANY!! ;->

Sorry couldn't resist..:p

Philip

playmesumch00ns
10-23-2002, 03:22 PM
So what happens to Alias if (maybe when) SGI goes under? I couldn't carry on without Maya *sniff*

policarpo
10-24-2002, 02:17 AM
Apple might just hafta do some purchasing....
:beer:

beaker
10-24-2002, 03:11 AM
SGI is too big to just dissapear. Their main focus over the last few years has been their origin servers/onyx line of supercomputers. 90% of their sales come from them. With almost every government in the world using them, especially the huge amount of defense spending thats going on(especially the USA). I really don't see sgi's demise anytime soon.

Also SGI has allready said that a/w is up for sale. It is just a matter of finding someone with the cash to purchase it. Everyone is hurting because of the economy, so there aren't many that can or want to buy it.

policarpo
10-24-2002, 03:34 AM
we should all put our money together and buy A|W....how funny would that be...

who knows...maybe microsoft will try once more.

:rolleyes:

beaker
10-24-2002, 04:43 AM
Do you have a spare 200 million? A/W isn't exactly cheap. :)

policarpo
10-24-2002, 04:50 AM
would i be here if i did?

:D

mind
10-24-2002, 07:40 AM
well if had 200 million I'd be opening a kick ass studio in the french polinesia and hire the most talented software developers and CG artists in the world and for sure Id be browsin CGtalk and hire some of you talented artists:applause:

and I would buy SGI just when buying a couple of Inferno and Fire systems as it comes standard with the system.

We would work with every package available but I'd put Maya as the king of the working pipeline...

mmm...we'd have the fastest internet connection, fiber optic intranet, DLT high performance robotic archive storage and an online HD based storage system with more than 30 terabytes of capacity...state of the art render farm, kick ass tech support dept, Philips Spirit film scanning with DaVinchi color grading interface and some of the finest traditional artists...and many many more goodies oh and the minimun salary would be 3500 euros....not to mention to enjoy the beaches of the pacific...my dreams are sweet, aren't they?...ahhh:cool:

krisr
10-24-2002, 07:55 AM
correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Discreet moving their Flame and Inferno products to the x86 platform and pulling the SGI hardware?

beaker
10-24-2002, 08:06 AM
>>correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Discreet moving their Flame and Inferno products to the x86 platform and pulling the SGI hardware?

Nope.

Though they are making strata/mezzo for x86 which is sorta like flint. There are rumors that they canned it though(atleast canned a bunch of the dev team). It is at the same exact price point of flint, in the 100k+ range for D1, and another 50-100k on top of that if you want HD.

There is still nothing that compares very well to the perfomance of sgi HD output for the octane and onyx, especially at 10 bit 1080p. Even the new pci-x bus is still pretty shitty compared to the XIO on the sgi, especially if you want 4-8+ streams all playing in realtime, pci-x falls way behind. Hopefully in the next few years with hypertransport and other busses, it will change, but not for the moment.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.