PDA

View Full Version : Reflection Falloff?

johnnyh66
06-30-2005, 03:58 PM
I remember some time back someone came up with a method for creating realistic reflections with falloff. I think they used gradients in the reflection channel but it wasn't incidence angle... I don't think. Does anyone know where that info is?
Thanks.

essencedesign
06-30-2005, 04:12 PM
You could place a null where you want your falloff and use it as a refernce obj. in your texture channel....or a distance to obj. gradient in the reflection channel :shrug:

DMack
07-01-2005, 09:08 AM
One way to mimic this effect (and this is why it actually happens) is to add a very fine bumpmap to the floor. This way, the reflections get spread the further they are away from the source of reflection and thus appear to weaken aswell...I've done this a few times to great effect. If you want to get deep into reflections, you may want to check out hypersmooth. I don't have it but it deals with all tis kind of stuff and Evasion 3D (the makers) create VERY solid and fuctional software.

Hope that helps.

johnnyh66
07-01-2005, 01:51 PM
I actually do have a bump on the floor (everything actually) and the reflection is kinda disapating over "distance" but I'd like to have control over it. I know G2 has this abillity but unfortionatly it doesn't work with F-Prime.

I don't have time to experiment with this project but when it's done I'll work on the problem. I have a few changes to make to this before my final render.

ages
07-01-2005, 02:33 PM
Photoshop.

johnnyh66
07-01-2005, 02:36 PM
I was thinking the same thing, render it without the reflection and comp them together.

monovich
07-01-2005, 04:05 PM
it's a great render, if that counts for anything! :)

johnnyh66
07-01-2005, 04:14 PM
thanks monovich, I just moved it to the WIP section. :thumbsup:

toonafish
07-01-2005, 04:23 PM
Are you sure it wasn't incidence angle ? because that's the effect you get with an incidence angle gradient.

zuzzabuzz
07-01-2005, 04:41 PM
looks like the fresnel effect combined with microbumps. so yeah, incidence angle.

kevman3d
07-01-2005, 11:06 PM
Or, you could use the 'Reflection Blur' option under the Environment tab... As per the sad little example image below... :) If you combined that with a 'distance to object' fadeout, you could get a nice effect...

gerardo
07-02-2005, 02:51 AM
I agree with Toonafish and Zuzzabuzz. As far as I understood you don't need soft reflections, just falloff; but if you would need soft reflections, maybe this trick works for your project as well:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=253345
(avoiding SoftenReflections filter is 100% compatible with FPrime and you can get enough softness for some materials)

Also check this link for more info:
http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7003

Gerardo

johnnyh66
07-05-2005, 02:16 PM
Thanks Gerardo, Tesselator had actually just pointed me towards your thread... looks good! I'll try and incorperate it into my next project.

That motion blur... works every time! :bounce:

johnnyh66
07-05-2005, 02:20 PM
Or, you could use the 'Reflection Blur' option under the Environment tab... As per the sad little example image below... :) If you combined that with a 'distance to object' fadeout, you could get a nice effect...

Thanks for the sample kevman... but you see how it gets grainy towards the bottom and it really doesn't falloff... it just gets grainy. That's what I was trying to avoid because that what I have now. :hmm:

minus23
07-05-2005, 10:55 PM
Aye... just posting another example of Reflection Blurring with Incidense Angle. Did this years ago though.... Fprime does read reflection blurring from suface settings and it could be much cleaner now for the time involved.

1600x1200 image (http://www.opnotic.com/wip/greyaa.jpg)

CGTalk Moderation
07-05-2005, 10:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.