PDA

View Full Version : one object deforming another?

Werner
06-30-2005, 09:45 AM
Is it possible for one object to deform another.
Here is what I need. In the animated gif, there is a box that will be deformed by bones and endomorphs. In a different layer there is a lot of points (same shape as the box). I need the points on layer 2, to follow the box deformation (bones and endomorphs). I know that I can use the bones from layer one to deform the point layer, but what about the morphs?

Will something like FX Linker or MD Scan work for this? I would play around with this but time is not on my side at the moment. Please...if anyone know of a quick way to solve this, let me know.

Thanks

Eugeny
06-30-2005, 12:32 PM
Basically u need the same morph targets on points layer as in the object layer ...
If u made points with old point cloud, extrude and drill trick u probably don't have the morphs,
but if u get the points from freeze with jitter u mast have the same morphs ...

http://www.geocities.com/chuchae2003/Junk/Point_Morph.txt

evenflcw
06-30-2005, 12:38 PM
Yes, SoftFX + Meta_Link is the answer here. First make the points a child object of the box.
With the box selected, add SoftFX, go to the Operator tab of SoftFX and disable the default Operator1 map to disable any dynamics. Now select the points object, add Meta_Link (enough for bone def) aswell as Meta_Link_Morph (needed for morphs). That's it for the setup.

Now, do some animated deformations on the Box, then calculate dynamics and you should see the points deform along with the box. Although Meta_Link is acctually deforming/conforming in realtime, SoftFX will not provide it with updated information about the deformed mesh. So everytime you add to or edit the animation of the box you have to recalculate to update the information feed from SoftFX into Meta_Link.

CGTalk Moderation
06-30-2005, 12:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.