PDA

View Full Version : how do you achieve these renders??

ant_sutton
06-29-2005, 09:55 PM
hi guys.

I am really amazed by the architectural images done using lightwave (see link)

http://www.3dlinks.com/gallerydisplay.cfm?ArtistID=1807

Could someone please give me some pointers on how the objects in these scenes are textured? For instance the would the surfaces be made up of layers using photoshop or procedurals etc? Are these objects made pergfect are have some layers of dirt and grime been used to add realism. I just cant work out how to get results like this. I know if has alot to do with the light too, so any tips on interior lighting would be great

Also, does anyone know of any tutorials or threads that may help me with this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Ant

evenflcw
06-29-2005, 11:10 PM
Why don't you ask him?

http://www.cgtalk.com/search.php?searchid=1888175

I believe he also frequents LWG3D.com, he might have revealed/be more likely to give elaborate answers there.

IC12
06-30-2005, 08:49 AM
It's as easy to produce images like this in LW as it is in any 3d app (and when I say easy I mean really difficult!)

You have to learn everything about how to texture and light your scene but there's no shortcut. The Inside LightWave books are a great start and then just read everything you can and practice constantly.
Also, look at materials and how light reacts with them in the real world. Read up on physical properties and photography too.

Also bear in mind that he's a very talented guy. Unfortunately we can't teach ourselves that!

Scarvin
06-30-2005, 10:57 AM
Actually he made a tutorial of "The Diner":
http://67.15.36.49/team/tutorials/po_diner/diner.asp

biliousfrog
06-30-2005, 11:09 AM
Forget about the software for a second, turn off your computer & learn how to see. If you can see past a metal object just being shiney & a brick wall being uniformly bumpy & shadows being dark then you'll understand how to recreate things in a realistic way.

Everything is unique, even mass-produced products. Everything has a history, things get bumped, polished, scratched moved things that stay in one place for a long time get dusty, things that are moved a lot get greasey prints on them.....Try to think about how each object is made, how it is handled, how is is finished & how it is kept.

blaqDeaph
06-30-2005, 01:24 PM
More importantly than how the object looks is how it lighted. Without lights, it doesnt matter how the object is textured, and nothing will show up. You might want to look into some of the advanced texturing and lighting books for lightwave.

IC12
06-30-2005, 02:28 PM
More importantly than how the object looks is how it lighted.

Not sure I agree with you there. Even with the best lighting set up, a bad model or poorly textured one will still look bad or poorly textured.
It's a good balance of all three that makes a great render (imo).

nikopol_gfx
06-30-2005, 02:32 PM
The pictures look awasome! Obviously, the lightning is crucial in his images. He uses image maps, textures, shaders etc. If you want good result in texturing, use layered textures, procedurals combined with maps and gradients and good shaders. Some 3rd party shaders have different illumination response than standard LW Phong, for metal or velvet surfaces, for example. And a standard little tip: when assign a bitmap texture, lower it's layer visibility a bit, and choose a suitable color.

Have fun!

CGTalk Moderation
06-30-2005, 02:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.