PDA

View Full Version : Light setup while modeling

ThirdEye
06-29-2005, 08:52 PM
What's your lighting setup while you model? It'd be nice to hear something from the experience modelers since the more i model the more i realise the front light ain't enough at all and it's actually quite misleading.

StephanD
06-30-2005, 12:05 PM
You're rightusing camera lights is a very bad practice,it's almost had an effect on my drawings in the way I use lighting,for the worse.

What I personally like is to use a 3 sometimes 2 spotlights rig around the character and rotate it around different axis,then go on.Sometimes switching one off and playing with intensities and colors then go back to modeling.

One strong spotlight is good as long as you keep pointing it elsewhere,basically anything but the default camera lighting is better.

Obvisouly,you don't need advice from me though,just thought it'd be good to tell people,"Lighting is uber important,work on it"

PS:What about realtime G.I? ;) j/k

olioli
07-03-2005, 06:12 AM
being new to this, forgive me for asking, but why would you want to set up some lights and not just use default set up.

i would like to learn these techniques.

thanks.

ThirdEye
07-03-2005, 07:11 AM
being new to this, forgive me for asking, but why would you want to set up some lights and not just use default set up.

i would like to learn these techniques.

thanks.

Because using the default setup is like painting using a torch

ThomasMahler
07-03-2005, 11:33 AM
Hmmm... the only modeler where I'm actually modeling with different materials and lights is ZBrush. Most of the time, while sculpting in Z, I'm using the basic material with a slightly higher ambient and keep rotating the default light around, adding a second light, turning it on and off, etc. - that's very convenient in ZBrush.

Oh, and I also use the "Two Lights" option in Wings3d - But in every other modeler, most of the time, I stay with the default lighting.

FabioMSilva
07-05-2005, 12:04 PM
Because using the default setup is like painting using a torch

looool:applause:

StephanD
07-05-2005, 01:02 PM
Personally,I think 3D softwares default scenes should always be PITCH black...

That way,younger artists shall need to get used to manually and efficiently lighting up their scenes/characters.

CGTalk Moderation
07-05-2005, 01:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.