PDA

View Full Version : GOOOOOD Rigging tutorial

Katarzis_o
06-29-2005, 07:08 PM
Can someone please direct me to a good rigging tutorial of a human body?
There r a lot of them and i can't find something satisfying.

Thanks!

WillCameron
06-29-2005, 07:19 PM
the digiwonk one on the www.kurvstudios.com site (in the free tutorials section) is very good. A bit dated with the introduction of bone tools and the newer easier ways to set
pitch rotations etc, but certainly a good (and free) place to start.

- Will.

Katarzis_o
06-29-2005, 10:23 PM
Thanks!
:)

R-6
06-29-2005, 10:25 PM
Yes I have been looking for one as well.I have a few ,but not much luck getting a result from them so far.:scream:

I wished someone could do a rigging tutorial in LW 8.3 that is clear and easy to follow.

T4D
06-30-2005, 05:23 AM
what area do you need help in R-6 ??

I got a 5 min complete IK leg rigging video ( 80 megs )
but need a host or a way to pay for the bandwidth ?

looking at doing afew more but would like You guys to tell me what you want ?

I got arm IK/FK blending video already on my site
I think the Video for the plugins go over skelegons in modeler ( basicly covered )
the free N_joynulls plugin comes with free Joystick face rig videos ( basic expression etc )

the only thing beside the leg video is a upper arms shoulder deformation video
but would anyone want it ?? or is there anything else you would like ??

WillCameron
06-30-2005, 05:28 AM
Thomas, you should drop KURV a note, I'd bet they'd love to host some more free turotials - thats a secton of their site thats been sorely empty for quite a bit.
Simplylightwave.com might als be another option (and i do believe there is one or two
riggin videos in their free section as well Katarzis_o).

- Will.

dines
06-30-2005, 08:31 AM
@ T4D:

are you dealing with the new Tools introduced in LW[8]? I can not host them but I am certainly interessted in watching them...

Kid-Mesh
06-30-2005, 11:26 AM
T4D: I second the idea to contact KURV, thats an excellent choice imho :)

R-6
06-30-2005, 12:01 PM
what area do you need help in R-6 ??

I got a 5 min complete IK leg rigging video ( 80 megs )
but need a host or a way to pay for the bandwidth ?

looking at doing afew more but would like You guys to tell me what you want ?

Well like I said a few video tutorials on the subject but not one is complete.I downloaded one from Newtek and the guy just speed his way thru it and missed out stuff.
What I need is a clear to follow biped rigging video tutorial that doesn't leave important stuff out from start to finish from someone who knows what they are doing.Just thought there are heaps of talented LW users out there that wouldn't mind sharing some knowledge.
T4D is your tutorials for LW 8.3 only or with your plugins?
The complete Ik leg sounds good.

MooseDog
06-30-2005, 12:22 PM
http://www.puffandlarkin.com/lightwave/tutorials/character_rigging/

it's not a video, but very complete ntl, and very well done

Vojislav+Milanovic
06-30-2005, 12:50 PM
If you're going to do it really good and efficient I cannot recommend highly enaugh Tim Albee's LW 8 Character animation book. He goes in depth about rigging and animation and make sure you fully understand what are you doing. His prebending tehnique and combination of IK and IKB makes it very fast ease to animate your character in whatever fashion you like. I went through most of it in about 10 days or some.

adrencg
06-30-2005, 04:26 PM
http://www.puffandlarkin.com/lightwave/tutorials/character_rigging/

it's not a video, but very complete ntl, and very well done

This rig is very good....second only to Maestro's rig.

Mike

R-6
06-30-2005, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the all the input guys !:thumbsup:

Fongool
07-02-2005, 05:31 PM
"If you're going to do it really good and efficient I cannot recommend highly enaugh Tim Albee's LW 8 Character animation book."

I disagree. Tim's book is nice, but it attempts to cover so much ground that every subject is presented in an overly simplistic manner. If you want the most detailed LW rigging info I've found to date, you want Jonny Gorden's two-volume LW 8 Cartoon Character Creation.

Add a copy of Richard William's Animator's Survival Kit and you've got neraly all the topics in Tim's book covered in vastly greater detail.

WHich isn't to slight Tim's book, it's a nice overview to be sure, but for real meat and depth you'll do better with the suggestions above.

Just my opinion. :)

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the free Digiwonk video series is very nice and in-depth as well. I'd love to see him update them to cover the new tools!

T4D
07-02-2005, 05:50 PM
Add a copy of Richard William's Animator's Survival Kit

Your just not a character animator untill you read that book :bowdown:

froggyplat
07-06-2005, 12:34 AM
I could probably host your video for a while, T4D. I'm not doing anything with digiwonk.com right now, so I have the space.

I might be able to recompress the video. I should be able to get a 5 minute video down from 80 MB to something more resonable. What is the format and dimensions? Did you already compress it?

Let me know....I'm happy to help.

~digifrog

T4D
07-06-2005, 12:47 AM
Sounds cool It is already compressed using that bloody techsmith codec
so I've tryed to recode it but no lucky

Give me afew days Maybe this weekend ( extemely busy )
I'll post it up so you can check it out

coffeefery
07-06-2005, 02:23 PM
Katarzis, I would recommend both Timothy Albee's book as well as Johnny Gorden's books. Johnny's books go in-depth and you will be able to learn so much stuff about the LW toolset, as well as how to make a great character rig. Timothy's book focus more on animation itself more than the rigging part. It's easier to create, yet for animation purpose, it's a superb rig. I learnt a lot of stuff from Johnny's books. But for my project, I'm using Timothy's rig so that I can concentrate on animating rather than fighting with my rig.

As for becoming a good animator, nothing beats Richard Williams' Animator's Survival Kit. Like what he mentioned in his book, Animator's Survival Kit is the anatomy of animation. You can learn 90% of how to do animation from his book. As for the other 10%, that depends on your talent.

CGTalk Moderation
07-06-2005, 02:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.