PDA

View Full Version : Ultra realistic wood, any ideas?

assistant pimp
06-29-2005, 05:31 PM
I want to model and wood cage type of deal, it will be deployed on the web through flash and will be seen up close at times. So I need the texture to be real good, complete with warps and pits and wear and tear. I am relatively a new jack when it comes to texturing so any pointers or tips would be greatly appreciated. One big question I have off top is about warping and should I model it in on each board? Also on texturing should I just planar wrap and if so how do I prevent it from becoming obviously being the same texture on each board? AS you can see I need help...lol.

assistant pimp
06-30-2005, 12:38 AM
please? any ideas? Also how do I know how big to make my texture in PS? Like if my object is 1m x 20m. What does that equate to in PS?

ages
06-30-2005, 12:44 AM
One way if using planr is to get the object full screen in modeller and take a snap shot and import it into ps to get the size... Makesure the snap u take is from the object as large as u can get it full screen. This is good if u are doing cubic mapping.
Many great tutes for texturimng can be found at

http://www.lwg3d.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=242
Theres a great brift in the mig tute on doing spec, gloss etc maps which are on your way to realism.

assistant pimp
06-30-2005, 12:50 AM
thank you ages. You know I thought about doing the full size thing, but I was like nah that wont work due to the sizing and equating those to PS pixels. I am going to hand make the actual texture, but the thing is I want to get it as life-like as possible so that has to onclude dirt and random inconsistancies of life type of things. Warping, wet and whatever else. I will definately read through that tut....thanks man.

ages
06-30-2005, 12:58 AM
Its not about the meg size of the material you use, or the pixel size, its more about the way you use it. Spec maps, gloss maps, difuse maps, example of the wood texture you use all have more a factor in realism. I use 200k jpgs most the time downsampled from 30 meg files.

blaqDeaph
06-30-2005, 01:28 PM
If you want ULTRA ULTRA real looking images, your best bet is to use a image texture rather then trying to recreate it with proceedurals. You can then use proceedurals on top of it to simulate dirt etc.

angus1965
06-30-2005, 02:12 PM
I want to model and wood cage type of deal, it will be deployed on the web through flash and will be seen up close at times. So I need the texture to be real good, complete with warps and pits and wear and tear. I am relatively a new jack when it comes to texturing so any pointers or tips would be greatly appreciated. One big question I have off top is about warping and should I model it in on each board? Also on texturing should I just planar wrap and if so how do I prevent it from becoming obviously being the same texture on each board? AS you can see I need help...lol.

1. Go to www.dvgarage.com

2. Under "Free Instruction" click "Tutorials and Samples"
You will need to create an account to do this. Do it. It is worth it.

3. In the lower-right corner, under "Texturing" click "crate"

4. Watch the movie.

5. Watch the movie a second time.

6. Watch the movie until it makes sense.

7. Make art.

nikopol_gfx
06-30-2005, 02:14 PM
Search with Google Images for good wood textures

or

try the IFW procedural textures from www.shaders.org (http://www.shaders.org)

A better procedural rendering system is DarkTree symbiont,
from www.darksym.com (http://www.darksym.com). This has very detailed procedurals,
including wood. Those can be found easily on the net.

Have fun !

assistant pimp
06-30-2005, 03:21 PM
Thanks guys!!

Angus I like rule #7!!

I will post some of my early renders for you guys to crit. I know it is only wood, but texturing is not coming easy for me. I got the hang of modelling pretty quick. I appreciate the help.

CGTalk Moderation
06-30-2005, 03:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.