PDA

View Full Version : CGtalk FILM Collaboration, calling all people!

Pages : [1] 2

ChrisBG
06-29-2005, 10:06 AM
The CGTalk Animated Film Collaboration
Main post update: 9th January 2006

Welcome everyone, and Happy new year to you all! This is going to be an exciting year. Let me tell you about the Cgtalk film collaboration. I see a lot of recruitment topics around where often the goal is to make a large scale, ambitious animated film or game. It's really hard to work with people over the internet, especially when all work is being done for free!

Anyway, our goal is to create a 1 minute very short animation, similar to pixar's films. Nothing too fancy - but something we can easily get DONE, and be proud of. Work has begun on this project, and we have a treatment up, thanks to dbates.

The film is very simple - about a caveman who has trouble with an annoying little critter.

The project was a little still towards the end of 2005, however it has started to pick up again and we are very excited to get this running. But we need the help of the CGTalk community. Right now the team is:

TheFreak - modeling
omega3d - modeling
dbates - script
Erikoinen - scene modeling
Chris Hurn (me) - director, composer

We could really use a hand with modeling and animation at the moment. However, if you're not a modeler or an animator we would still love your help - post anyway. We are also looking for a storyboard artist now.

Dbates has set up a small site at geocities where you can view a little of the work that's been done. http://www.geocities.com/dbates_geo

There will be a website - however at this stage it's more important to focus on the project itself. Once we get a bit more done we can think about a website.

Right now we're working on getting the caveman complete, and other models. If you feel you can help in any way at all, please let us know.

Thanks for reading, and we look foward to working with you all.

-Chris

MystikGotan
06-29-2005, 10:42 AM
I'd like to help, although overal my skills arent really where they should be. I'm having holidays right now, and I'm going through all sorts of video's. I'm a beginning modeller, I can rig a bit, I can animate reasonably. I can't map texture but I have a very good experience in Photoshop. Also I have a very thorough basic knowledge of Combustion, and I can surely do some stuff with that. I'd really like to develop my skills, but I don't know whether you're looking for fully experienced members with a great portfolio or not..

Anyways I do know how to work around and have a good basic knowledge of pretty much al CG Aspects.

ChrisBG
06-29-2005, 10:52 AM
The thing is, everyone has something to offer, and I'm not going to restrict this project to those who have big portfolios and are really great modelers. It'd be great if they'd join the crew, but I want this to be a project where everyone can be involved. So sure, it would be great for you to be on board. We'd defenately be needing some stuff done in photoshop later on down the track, and there will be models for you to do too.

Thanks for the interest!

-Chris

MystikGotan
06-29-2005, 12:18 PM
Yeah I'm improving every day, by the way :) lol
I'm working on a Star Wars Droid right now (model) and then Ill probably be moving on to a CG Yoda. I have most of the knowledge, just need to practice a bit. But it's coming along really well :)

BOY1DA
06-29-2005, 01:23 PM
Hello, well I have no time at all to work on this because I am running
my own movie project in this section that will be a long term one.
But this is a good idea and something that I wanted to do myself just for fun.

However, I have some models that I made that I have no real use for myself.
They are made in 3dsmax and some are fully rigged some are half done.
But I guess they can be modified or mixed and matched to fit whatever use.

They are cartoon style character models, one of them is in my avatar.

Here are images of them. you can contact me by PM if you ever find a use for them.

http://www.3d-afex.com/PUFF_WIP/BASEBOYBODY.jpg

http://www.3d-afex.com/H2o/BOY_02.jpg

http://www.3d-afex.com/H2o/TERA_KID_01.jpg

ChrisBG
06-30-2005, 04:50 AM
Great models, BOY1DA. I appreciate the offer and I will PM you if I need them.

-Chris

TheFreak
06-30-2005, 03:59 PM
PICK ME PICK ME :P

I would love to join up. I am always up for collab anything, but they always seem a little too ambitious and end up falling flat on their face after a couple of months.

I will try anything but I am currently doing modelling and I have a good bit of knowledge in Web Design & Flash etc.

I have some stuff in my Sig and a couple of other models if you want to see something else.

I think this is a great idea, can't wait to get started!!

MystikGotan
06-30-2005, 04:19 PM
By the way I just saw you needed other people as well, like sound designer. Since I am a filmmaker I have experience in editing in Avid Xpress Pro 4.5, sound design, scriptwriting, some storyboarding & pre-viz, directing, etc.

Gotan

ChrisBG
06-30-2005, 10:29 PM
TheFreak & MystikGotan

Great! It would be really cool to have both of you on board. MG do you have any example storyboards we could take a look at? Nice models TheFreak. :)

Please feel free to start throwing round ideas. Would you like to do a pixar style animation? A dark, creepy one? What are your thoughts? :)

-Chris

TheFreak
07-01-2005, 10:30 AM
I would love to try something in a cute pixar style, but to be honest I will have a go at anything.

My friend had an idea a while ago to try and animate a Zen story. Some of them are quite interesting. The one we had in mind was "More is not Enough" but it might be a little long for this short movie project. I am definitly up for doing something short to begin with. No point in starting something we can't finish.

Here is a list of Zen Stories if you are interested: http://www.rider.edu/~suler/zenstory/zenstory.html (http://www.rider.edu/%7Esuler/zenstory/zenstory.html)

I have a couple of friends that do 2D stuff, I will see if they might be interested in helping out once we get an idea down.
I also have a friend who does Audio stuff. He could probably help us with SFX and Music if needed but it's only a suggestion.

I currently don't have the net at hom but hopefully all that will change tomorrow. So perhaps we can get together and have a chat about other Ideas and stuff.

*edit

What timezone are you guys in?
I am GMT

MystikGotan
07-01-2005, 10:57 AM
I don't actually storyboard anymore, mostly though. Just some shots I really want to be drawn by myself. We have somebody else to do that stuff for us, I'm sure he's willing to storyboard this film.

I haven't really got a lot of other examples. I can mix audio and design sounds (I really like that), I can composite stuff, I can animate and as I said I'm busy learning modelling & texturing, it's coming along really well.

I have experience in rotoscoping as well (using Photoshop). As I said I can edit as well, I have Avid Xpress Pro 4.5. So just fill me in, I'd be happy to some several kinds of stuff.

I will be working on some Star Wars animations this summer with Yoda, droids, etc, etc. But I don't realyl care about this film, pick something...

By the way I've also got a very cool Gollum 3d model on my computer. Made by a Portguese guy, I forgot his name ... :(

Gotan

BOY1DA
07-01-2005, 05:24 PM
Even tough I am real busy with my other project...
I may be able to help out with more of the technical aspects.
I have skills in all areas of CG so maybe I can help with putting all the
lose parts together. that is if you decide to use 3ds max to render the final.
So I guess I'll be a kind of "Technical Director".
I may be able to collect models, files and work from the other artist and
set them up to be rendered and send or direct files to who should do what next in
the production pipeline.

I agree with "TheFreak" LOL (by the way I like your avatar)
It would probably be best to do something in a "PIXAR" or cartoony style.
that way you don't have to focus on unnecessary details, much easier from a technical stand point.
And maybe a lot more fun because of the light hearted nature of something like that.

Well, so I guess we need a story RIGHT ?
We should try to get inspired from things like TV commercials.
because TV commercials are only 1 minute and some tell real good stories in that short time.

So any ideas ?!?!?

Maybe we can even get ideas from jokes, jokes are real short and have a funny punch line at the end.
Well that's my 2 cents.

TheFreak
07-01-2005, 05:39 PM
Actually now that you mention Jokes. I had an idea a while ago that i thought might be nice and easy for me to try.

It was going to be called "The Chat Up Line" and it was basically a loser trying out his best lines on the ladies.

No idea if it would have worked or what kind of work would be involved but there ya go.

Although i think maybe a non talkie movie might be good for a first run. That way we are concentrating on the art (and music) and there is less of a chance of pulling the quality of the movie down with bad acting :P unless you know any budding actors!!

*edit

Oh by the way, we can use any of my current models for this project. I don't mind. It might be nice to see them used. I don't know if Stewie and the Golden Condor could be used for copyright reasons but my new guy could be used. Maybe put some clothes on him though :P http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=236756&highlight=character

BOY1DA
07-01-2005, 06:15 PM
Yea we should try to keep the talking to a minimal.

I like that stripper model you have. That means we have some children and a stripper so far.
Now that is funny already… strippers and kids a good recipe for fun I always say. :scream: LOL

BOY1DA
07-01-2005, 06:38 PM
Take a look might get some ideas...

http://www.trema-art.com/openbook

The Prophet
07-01-2005, 07:18 PM
You can count me in if this get of the ground. the plan is really good -> we can accomplish something.

but back to me:

plus = good experience with 3d studio max: mainly moddelling and rendering
i can handle photoshop 2, but not really to make concept sketches -> no Wacom
and i also can use ZBrush.

min = i have problems finishing things i start with, but if i see other people around me accomplish things for the same project i have to be able to finish.

contact me at: cloather@hotmail.com
and i will check this boar often

thanks

btw: i can also build websites and flashanimations, something that may come in handy

////////////////////////UPDATE////////////////////////////////
My latest work(this will reflect my current moddelling skills)

BMW M6 (http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/3369/claypresentationbmwm65ty.jpg)

A older work( main objective is the composition and atmosphere)

Students Fall (http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/6396/finalprintsmall6ky.jpg)

and check my master/ servant entry (never got finished but will show you some creativity, i hope)

//////////////////////////IDEAS/////////////////////////////

i would like to see something futuristic, witch is my speciality :D and my favorit subject.
cool would be if the story would give a solution to an unsolved mystery from this time.
I also reccomed that we make a movier were the compostion and atmosphere plays an importand roll.

The Prophet
07-01-2005, 09:38 PM
i got some to say though on the previous replies, i dont think we should use any existing models. we should try to develop an own style, cause now we cut down on time and acting, we must put something in place.

this is no offence ofcourse, it are great models.

i have to think about it. i agree anyway with the talking, not so much. maybe some mubling to make teh emotions clear.

BOY1DA
07-02-2005, 12:22 AM
I really luv sci-fi and futuristic movies.
But I think there are too many futuristic style projects
in the collaboration section to join in on.

But because of the level of detail that is expected in that
genre it will be very hard to pull off. I'm working on a sci-fi
project and it took a year to do 1 min of fully rendered animation.

As for using existing models, I think that is the best way
to make the heavy load much more manageable. So far I see only 3 modelers
it may be too much work for 3 guys to do in a short term.

People really don't have much time, so we need to take as much
short cuts to see it to the end, we must stay focused and not get tempted
to try to make this the biggest and best thing ever done in the world.
lets just do something that we can see get done and be proud of and have some
fun. Keep it as simple as possible.

ChrisBG
07-02-2005, 06:29 AM
Thanks for the interest guys, great to see.

The reason we're going to try and use pre-modeled models is so we can speed up development time. We can get some great models, and our aim is to finish a very short film, not spend months modeling characters for a probably-will-fail film. We may find that we need to make most of the models from scratch but I think we should try to use as many pre-modeled ones as we can.

I'm all for the pixar-style idea, so let's see what we can come up with. Everyone start listing random ideas - Think about different environments and time periods. For example, forest, (cavemen, dinousaurs etc. or modern?), snow (the ice age, or modern times). Factory (robots? maybe an escape movie?). We want it to be set over a very small amount of scenes/environments, keep it simple. (But fun!)

As for talking, yes I want to have it but as BOY1DA said, we'll need to keep it to a minimum. Not mumbling though, It'd be nice to have some real dialogue. I'm more worried about the animators having to sync it than the acting, I know some people who would be interested, and I do voice acting. But we'll see how it goes.

Once we have a basic idea, we can put it foward to the rest of the Cgtalk community. Maybe we could run a competition. The thing is, a lot of modelers here submit great models to the gallery that never go anywhere. So we could ask them to model one of our characters for next time they submit something. We'll get a lot done quicker that way.

That said, we could use as many modelers as possible on the actual team. The more we get, the easier things become. We can split people into groups: Characters, objects, scenes etc.

People really don't have much time, so we need to take as much
short cuts to see it to the end, we must stay focused and not get tempted
to try to make this the biggest and best thing ever done in the world.
lets just do something that we can see get done and be proud of and have some
fun. Keep it as simple as possible.

Yeah, very true. People have other things to do, and don't want to spend time lingering on a project that has yet to produce a first model. If things get done, then more people become interested. I've worked on a few projects where people just drop off because nothing happens. Let's make this a project to be remembered.

Let's go Cgtalk!

EDIT: Technical director it is then, BOY1DA (http://cgtalk.com/member.php?u=74168) :)

-Chris

The Prophet
07-02-2005, 09:35 AM
here is some inpiration:

you can download the movie here (http://krapooyo.free.fr/)

/////////////////////////////////////////

well, i should agree with the above, if we want to acieve something we must not make it to complicated. i can do the enviroments btw. im working on some ideas today.

MystikGotan
07-02-2005, 11:04 AM
Sorry I forgot to mention something. Apparantly I can do good voice work. I've done several stuff for shorts and other stuff, some fictional characters: Gollum, Treebeard, Yoda, General Grievous, the Emperor. Also I do a lot of other voice work, so I could be of help in that way. That is if we are to use voices and lipsync some stuff.

gotan

members only hunter
07-03-2005, 05:10 AM
hey i would like to participate here too-

but i think that you have it backwards... the modeling doesn't take that long to do. really when you have an efficent modeler and a kick ass design then alot of times they model themselves. maybe i'm just a super modeler(not) but i can usually kick out a usable model in about 24hrs. that can be spread out over days, or weeks, or months. the real time consumer i see here is the animaion- that is of course that you do not want to go with mocap(please no). i even find it easy to put lipsync together more than i find the real hard animaion stuff. oh and the rigging(the horors).

anyways i think that if you want to put together somthing that we can put on a reel- somthing that we can be proud of then we must get behind a story first. then we will be able to come up with ideas on how to model , texture, animate, light and render. people often put those last 2 in with the least amount of time but... ho, wait. they are really important.

that's all i'm sayin.

chris

ChrisBG
07-03-2005, 07:45 AM
but i think that you have it backwards... the modeling doesn't take that long to do. really when you have an efficent modeler and a kick ass design then alot of times they model themselves.

Well, I was sort of thinking about students with little time on their hands. From my experience it usually takes a while to produce quality models.

I am not one to overlook the pre production phase, or the lighting etc. So be assured that we will not just go straight into modeling, or leave texturing and lighting to last.

Thanks for your interest!

-Chris

MystikGotan
07-03-2005, 09:52 AM
Chris,

how about the voices? If you want I could send you sort of a demoreel. I can pretty much do all sorts of voices.

gotan

fabianv
07-03-2005, 03:10 PM
I'd be interested to help out in 2d Concept Design for sure..

Here is an example of what I can do.

Very quick.. about 2 hours or so..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/fabianv/face-fabianv.jpg

If you need to contact me just do so through MSN or email.

BOY1DA
07-04-2005, 01:31 AM
Technical director :blush: , does that mean I may have to do some actual work? :cry:

Disclaimer: I will not be offended if my ideas are not used.
However, I then will have to kill everyone in this thread.:twisted: :scream:

It seems like everyone here is waiting for everyone else to make the next move.
I think we should try to start pushing this ahead.
It’s great to see people joining on, but we still need to get a story idea started.

Since I don’t see much people giving too many story ideas.
I will try to stir it up with a few ideas I have and things that inspire or I would like too see.
Oh and I also liked the idea "TheFreak" said about using Zen Stories.
I'm just too lazy to read them all. I did read the one he liked, but seems to have
a bit too much locations or maybe not ?. So if anybody wants to read some more of them and let us know witch are the good ones. please do so.:thumbsup:

Well one idea I have is with simple cartoon style robots.
Not like “Blue sky’s Robots”, but more like Rustboy (http://www.rustboy.com/) style robots or like this concept I found on the web.
(http://www.boy1da.com/Toon_Ref/lockersword.jpg)Why robots you say?, well just for the simple reason they are easy to rig and model.
We can put them in the future or we can even put them far in the past and make it a steam powered
or clock work style robot movie.

I also like the Animaniacs (http://www.boy1da.com/Toon_Ref/Animaniacs.jpg) style of character, by Warner Brothers.
because they have a simple style and no one really knows what the hell they are
supposed to be. LOL

These other ideas I have are based on the models we have so far.
Most likely using the heads with new modeled bodies.

We can do a boy meets girl type of a story… maybe the boy is trying to get his first kiss
at the end of a date, and the model “TheFreak” made (with clothes on) can play the girls father.
And maybe we can make up a plot with an embarrassing moment for them.
This can all be done in one location like the girls front porch.

Other locations that would be good would be a roller blade place.
That way if we put the characters on roller blades, we don’t have to do walk animations.
Or even things like go carts, scooters, skates boards. would be fun to see.
Maybe we could use those props to show a dating scenario at each activity the boy tries to get a kiss
and fails each time and something bad happens to him leading up to the final chance
at the end of the date on the porch at the girls house ? or maybe the dad played by “TheFreak’s”
character could show up at all the locations in a different disguise trying to foil the boys plans.

Okay one more idea using what we have so far.

1 or 2 locations. The main location a kids birthday party.
With a big cake hats and balloons. Earlier that day the cake delivery company gets the address mixed up.
The cake arrives at the party and now it’s time for the kid to make a wish and blow out the candles on the cake.
All of a sudden, a male striper jumps out of the cake and starts dancing. All the music stops.
Everyone stops in shock , with the look on their faces like that kid in “The Incredibles” when
Mr. Incredible lifts up the car.

Well that my ideas, I know they are not that great or original, but we need to start somewhere !

LETS KEEP IT MOVING ! WHO’S NEXT UP TO BAT !?!?!?!

Great work by all the artist that have posted so far. VERY KOOL STUFF !

THANKS, OMAR.:D

ChrisBG
07-04-2005, 06:25 AM
Nice ideas - I like the robot thing. And the rollerblading idea was cool too.

For the robots idea, I think it would be much more exciting if they were escaping from a factory or something. We could make the robots quite simple and get them modeled up pretty quick. I have a friend who would be keen on helping model the building. they could be like toy robots or whatever, then we could throw the boy meets girl into the story of them escaping into the real world (outside the factory).

Anyway that's ONE thing I'd quite like to try, but what do you guys think?

-Chris

TheFreak
07-04-2005, 10:15 AM
I love robots!!

I would be up for a robot movie, i am trying to model one at the moment and i have a couple in the threads in my sig.

We could use my Jonny Cyborg idea (maybe not the model, don't know if it fits) The basic concept was a robot who desperatly wanted to be human. So in an attempt to become one he makes himself a human suit. He is not the most agile of creatures and basically the suit consists of old bits of hair glued onto his body in the appropriate places and some rubber gloves for hands and shoes that his feet won't fit in.

The picture I had in my head when I though of him was quite funny. Just imagine the worst human suit you can and then plop it on a robot :)

So the scenes could be:

Jonny looking around at humans with envy and then coming up with the idea
Montage of him collecting bits and peices
A backlit scene with him making his human suit
The final reveal of him in all his ugly glory :)

Well there is my idea. No idea how much work is involved. But there ya go. If you want, we could use some or all of the robot in the thread in the sig.

BTW My Internet connection in the house is still not up and running and I only have limited usage in work so I will try and comment when i can. Should be up and running by the weekend.

Cheers

MystikGotan
07-04-2005, 10:41 AM
I wouldn't have any problems creating cool robotic sounds. Those robots sound like a very good idea to me...

gotan

TheFreak
07-04-2005, 01:40 PM
Hey BOY1DA I was just reading your ideas again and the boy with the birthday cake sounds like it would be damn funny.

Especially if the stripper did some funky dancing :P

fabianv
07-04-2005, 03:26 PM
A reply to my offer to help would be nice :shrug:

TheFreak
07-04-2005, 03:55 PM
Hey fabianv,

I think we all got sucked up in the excitment of story ideas and what not :)

Anyway it's nice to have you on board :)
I think we are going with a pixar style of movie, so how does that work for you with 2D concepts? Your face looks pretty nice. Looking forward to seeing what you produce for the movie.

I think we will need loads of 2D stuff for backgrounds and the like. We really need to pin a story idea down before we do anything though :P Any Ideas?

Welcome aboard

MystikGotan
07-04-2005, 04:20 PM
A reply to my offer to help would be nice.

Yes... I've been offering all sotrs of help but Chris you didn't respond in any kind. I'm sorry but if you won't respond this time I won't be helping out anymore... :( As a a leader you should be well-organized and check out all the replies. It's no easy job...

gotan

TheFreak
07-04-2005, 04:50 PM
Hey Guys,

Lets not get off on a bad footing here. I know personally I am glad to see all this input. I think some of us are getting a little excited about making something new. You all seem like a great bunch of talented guys and that makes it all the more exciting.

I have seen a few posts from you Gotan and thanks for all the help suggestions. I think if you have any demo reels that you want to show then post them up and we will be all up for them.

This project is in the very early stages and things get over looked (especially all the needed thank yous) So take it from me, i am sure Chris is thankful of all the help and support even if he has not mentioned it on a personal basis.

It looks like so far we have a TD, a Modeller or two, a SFX guy, a concept guy and i think Gotan has a few more skills i missed. So this is all shaping up nicely. Please don't get too annoyed just yet guys. We have plenty of time left to annoy each other :)

Lets agree on a story as soon as possible and then everyone can start working and we will have loads of fun.

So keep posting them story ideas folks so we can get stuck in.

GROUP HUG!

fabianv
07-04-2005, 06:08 PM
Since you guys want a robot :P

Movie starts/

- Scene starts with a starry sky

-Text fades in to a starry sky ''The lonely robot''

-Text fade out for 2 seconds and camera perspective slides downwards until a hangar is revealed a few feet above ground perspective... (Description: the hangar is old and run down and dead straight ahead you have a broken down entrance with a crack in the large tin door.)

- Camera slides forward and through the crack in the door with a sweep or twirl to keep momentum and interest.

-Camera halts after the speeding momentum with a almost breaking halting upwards and downwards tilt effect to reveal blackness

-Camera perspective stays still and a light starts flickering revealing a robot on a chair sitting in dismay in the center of the hangar.

-Robot says ''Why... *long sigh.. * WHYY! .. why couldnt I have been human?!'' Whilst he is saying this the camera zooms closer towards the robot sitting in the chair until he takes up most of the screen.

- In a almost comedic and cheesy way a light bulb appears above his head and he lifts his head quickly with his finger pointed upwards saying ''A-ha!''

-Robot stands up and runs into the blackness of the hangar .. the sounds of clanging rings through the hangar as his metal feet knock against the ground. Whilst this is occuring the camera follows the robot slightly by turning slightly to the right so that the chair is no longer in the shot

- Sounds of drilling and hammering goes on in the back whilst pieces fly towards the camera out of the darkness. (this lasts longer to build up suspense and curiosity ..) (possibly some words or mumbling from the robot or other funny sounds could go in this scene)

- In a very comedic way spot lights shoot from 3 different angles in a very dramatic way sequencially one after the other after scanning the floor whilst a drum starts tapping reccuringly to build the suspence. (People start whistling and cheering in the background)

- The dressed up silly robot comes walking into the area with lipstick painted on his metal face.. high heels (could make a very funny sound effect in the background) and a pink tutu. drilled on him are two pony tails and fake metal cups for breasts which are covered with a ill-fitted bra. As the robot enters the shot the tapping drums turn into strange confusing beats and then one hit on the percussion and the whistling and cheering turn into "huh?!" (not sure how long this should last)

-''Boooo!!'' comes from the voices in the background and a tomatoe flies from our perspective and hits the robot smack in the middle of his forehead at such a velocity than the robot is knocked over flat on the floor in a very comedic way..

-Crickets make sounds in the background as nothing happens.

-Light bulb flickers and pops.. light is gone.

- Credits roll

THE END

Tell me if you guys like it.. if so.. I will start on timing and start storyboarding.

ChrisBG
07-05-2005, 06:13 AM
Hi there,

sorry for the lack of replies I was busy today.

@fabianv - Welcome to the team, that is if you're still interested. I tried to catch you on MSN but I had to go out and never got the chance. Sorry for not letting you know sooner.

@MystikGotan - Sorry about that, I only saw your new post today and missed your other ones. (I was in a hurry last night, sorry) We will need sound and voice overs at a later date, but you're certainly welcome to post and contribute in any other way until that time. (I did reply to you first post where you said you were interested)

As a a leader you should be well-organized and check out all the replies. It's no easy job...

I understand, and this is not my first project. I have managed much larger teams before, and I assure you that I will be organized on this one.

Regarding your idea fabianv - nice. That's really cool. I'd like to see other peoples feedback before I jump into any conclusion, but yeah that's neat. I think we could play around with some of the ideas a bit, but it has potential to be a cool short film. I'd like to see a bit more focus on him wanting to be a human, perhaps other robots laughing at his 'dream' etc.

Whatever we do, we need to write a treatment/outline of the story without camera angles first. The main reason for that is the same reason camera angles arnt written in a screenplay. It lessens the creative control of the director, and distracts the writer from the story and characters. (even thought this is a tiny short, if you do all the shot plan for me I'll have no job to do, except manage the progress of the other team members) After we have a clear, strong idea that the whole team agrees with, we'll talk about storyboards. If the others would like to go with fabianv's idea, then we will compile it into a short treatment/outline. After that I'll have a think about shots, and write out a shot plan. When that's being done, the robots/characters etc. can be designed (concept art). Finally I will talk over the shots with fabianv and we can get it storyboarded.

Thanks everyone! I am updating the first page of the topic with a crew list. I want this project to be one where everyone is committed to thier task, and where everyone WANTS to get this film done. I eventually want to set up a website for it, and get developer logs happening so people in the community can find out how the film is progressing, in all the different areas.

-Chris

TheFreak
07-05-2005, 10:43 AM
Just read your story fabianv, it sounds pretty much the same idea as my Jonny Cyborg story. Just a different surrounding.

My original idea was a lot longer than I outlined in the previous thread. It started with an old promotional film about the newest robot on the market. It could clean and cook and do whatever you want...then it moved to a newsflash with the robot being recalled with defects...then it moved to the present day with this one little robot cleaning a toilet in a military camp. The soldiers of the day are all cyborgs and they are lean mean fighting machines and they get all the ladies. They generally hound and tease Jonny, so in an attempt to improve himself he comes up with the bright idea of becoming a cyborg. during the day he gathers the bits and peices needed to make his suit and then that night he works hard to turn him self into a cyborg. The final moment was at the morning line up. The camera would pan across the soldiers and come to Jonny with his cyborg suit. His feet would be busting out of ill fitting shoes and he would have bright yellow rubber gloves for hands. Clumps of hair would be glued onto his body and the regular issue army uniform hangs awkwardly on his oddly shaped body.

That was the original idea. However I do like the crossdressing element you added to it. And the whole army camp thing I had was only a rough idea at the time, but i thought I would post it to let you know my original concept.

I also agree with Chris, in that we should only agree on a loose plot at the moment and then the screenwriter and director can flesh this out. Who is the screenwriter and director? Is that you Chris?

ChrisBG
07-05-2005, 10:45 AM
I also agree with Chris, in that we should only agree on a loose plot at the moment and then the screenwriter and director can flesh this out. Who is the screenwriter and director? Is that you Chris?

The screenwriting position is open to anyone who's interested, although I'd be willing to do it. And yeah, I'm the director. :)

-Chris

TheFreak
07-05-2005, 11:00 AM
Hehe I just seen that on the first thread once I posted.

I was going to edit but hey, no need to now :)

Looking forward to getting stuck into this, whatever we decide on.

BTW my rigging and animation skills are non existant. I am trying to learn it but to speed things up we would probably be better trying to source someone. Also we will probably all need to be able to export the models to whatever app the animatior(s) use.

I am gettin ahead of myself here arn't I. We don't even have a story down yet!!

** Me slaps himself about a bit ** "Wake Up Man!!"

As for the screenwriter. I are english great not. So i don't know if i am your man. However if we get a basic story down I am sure it will inspire me to come up with a few gags and funnies.

Lets set a deadline for a story and then we have a goal to work towards....what ya think?

fabianv
07-05-2005, 11:23 AM
Hi there,

Whatever we do, we need to write a treatment/outline of the story without camera angles first. The main reason for that is the same reason camera angles arnt written in a screenplay. It lessens the creative control of the director, and distracts the writer from the story and characters. (even thought this is a tiny short, if you do all the shot plan for me I'll have no job to do, except manage the progress of the other team members) After we have a clear, strong idea that the whole team agrees with, we'll talk about storyboards. If the others would like to go with fabianv's idea, then we will compile it into a short treatment/outline.

-Chris

Hey man... Ive never written a storyboard before so Im obviously very bad at it. I thought I'd just get the ball rolling by contributing an idea as I understood it. The other Cyborg idea is very cool and you dont have to use my idea if you dont want to.

Just thought id help out :shrug:

Id like to help out on Storyboarding when the idea is solid.. if anyone wants to talk about story ideas contact me on MSN im always willing to talk.. Im going out of town for a day or two so sorry if Im not there.

TheFreak
07-05-2005, 11:37 AM
Hey fabianv,

I think my original idea is a bit long for this project. And I do like the cross dressing idea. especially if the robot looks really butch and manly.

I think it would be nice to have some kind of flash back or some reason to indicate his confusion between males and females that makes him end up as a female.

And i am thinking he ends up looking like a real hooker. fishnet stockings and high heels :P

But then again i don't know if this is the story to go for at all. I like the thought of the birthday cake story and the robots escaping. Clockwork robots sound kinda cool, they would be fun to model, but of a pain to animate if we have cogs an all :P

Jeeze it's just so hard to choose!!

Chris, i think you need to make the final decision so we can get rockin!

**Edit

I don't have any Internet access at home right now, only in work and they don't allow MSN etc. Once I get it sorted I will contact you folks :)

If you want to add me my ICQ is 32222785 and MSN is richard_w_tsp@msn.com
Actually I think i can get the online version of AIM in here my id is MagikT0aster if you want to contact me there. I'll check for an online version of MSN

Cheers

BOY1DA
07-05-2005, 05:00 PM
I will try to combine the ideas I like and add a few ideas of my own.

-robots in a factory.

-robots are being destroyed because of a re-call.

- 1 robot gets the idea to escape to save his life.

- he makes a disguise, using a mop to make a wig.

Does it escape, I don't know because I'm not a writer :shrug: :p

I like the birthday cake idea, only because that would be so easy to make.
And will last less then 2 mins. and we already have models we can use.
That one can probably be made in 2 weeks to a month.
even though it's not the best idea or story.

I rather make a 1 min. movie and try to stretch it to 2 min.
then make a 2 min. movie and have to try to cut it down to 1 min.

fabianv
07-05-2005, 05:09 PM
We have to be careful not to make the story cheesy...

BOY1DA
07-05-2005, 05:31 PM
- In a almost comedic and cheesy way a light bulb appears above his head and he lifts his head quickly with his finger pointed upwards saying ''A-ha!''

lipstick painted on his metal face.. high heels (could make a very funny sound effect in the background) and a pink tutu. drilled on him are two pony tails and fake metal cups for breasts which are covered with a ill-fitted bra.

If that is not cheese then tell me what is !?!?! Cheese taste good.... I like cheddar myself and mozzerella on my pizza.

fabianv
07-05-2005, 05:34 PM
If that is not cheese then tell me what is !?!?! Cheese taste good.... I like cheddar myself and mozzerella on my pizza.

Birthday cakes and Military stuff O_O Cheese is good yes.. I love Gouda

BOY1DA
07-05-2005, 05:42 PM
:scream: LOL... YEAH ! , but cakes with strippers. Who doesn't love cakes and strippers.

fabianv
07-05-2005, 05:50 PM
:scream: LOL... YEAH ! , but cakes with strippers. Who doesn't love cakes and strippers.

I dont... :rolleyes:

MystikGotan
07-05-2005, 09:47 PM
Well thanks for the reply Chris!

I think with all these guys here you won't be needing much of my 3d skills. I'm just starting to become a modeler, no experience really with texturing, just a bit of rigging but that won't help too much I think...

However hereby I'd like to volunteer for the Sound FX editing & Montage. Also I will send you a demoreel with some voices in the next few days. I will put in some of them well known voices because I really don't know what kind of animation film this is coming to be (wow my english seems ****ed up now.. :S).

Anyways if you need an extra hand on animating I'd like to help but I'll probably be busy enough witht he editing & montage anyway. I'm quite busy with my next few projects.

Ohh right I'm also quite capable of compositing, because I've done several SW films and none of them so far needed big spacebattles. Just some flying ships, lightsabers, force lightning, blabla, other compositing. So I could help with that as well.

Well that sums it up pretty well I think. Expect a demoreel of the voices soon enough. My dad unplugged the keyboard and mouse on my PC upstairs and hid it so I can't use my mic. now :( Anyways expect it to come ASAP.

PS. While reading some more of page 3... I will probably design some conceptual sounds if you guys are busy animating. So expect a SD reel as well! I'll go for some robot stuff, which I can also do with my weird little voice, haha.

gotan

TheFreak
07-06-2005, 09:03 AM
I like the robot in a factory trying to escape thing. I think to get the most fun out of a short movie we need slapstick and cheese!!!

He could try a few things in his attempt to escape from the factory, each with a rather painful outcome (slapstick) then he eventually escapes "I'm Free, I'm Free" *crunch* and gets runover by a big runaway etam cheese (cheese) with guys running behind it trying to stop it.

So we could have a minute of mishaps (maybe 3 in total) and about 30 seconds of escape and crush :)

I so love a happy ending...

ChrisBG
07-06-2005, 09:31 AM
Sounds good MystikGotan - I'm looking foward to hearing your reel.

TheFreak -Lol, yeah. I'm really keen on the robot escape idea too. It would be really funny and cool to have him run out of the factory only to go into a busy world. He would take one step onto the road and get run over or something.

lol.

-Chris

TheFreak
07-06-2005, 11:31 AM
OR

What about we have the robot waking up in a dingy old factory on a conveyor belt. He looks about and sees the robots going into what looks like a big crusher, so he jumps up and makes his escape attempt(s). Finally he breaks out and get's run over, and then we flick back to the guys on the belt with the crusher. We see it slamming down on one of the robots with loads of steam and when it lifts up again he is all shiny and new!! The poor robot should have just stayed were he was!!

Real pain in the ass type of story!!! :P

fabianv
07-06-2005, 11:04 PM
Well thanks for the reply Chris!

Ohh right I'm also quite capable of compositing, because I've done several SW films and none of them so far needed big spacebattles. Just some flying ships, lightsabers, force lightning, blabla, other compositing. So I could help with that as well.

Well that sums it up pretty well I think. Expect a demoreel of the voices soon enough. My dad unplugged the keyboard and mouse on my PC upstairs and hid it so I can't use my mic. now :( Anyways expect it to come ASAP.

gotan

Why am I having trouble believing that someone that has a dad taking his keyboard and mouse did compositing in Star Wars? I am assuming you are referring to hobbyist/fan work?

TheFreak
07-07-2005, 09:19 AM
I was still trying to figure out:

A) why you need a keyboard and mouse to use you mic
and more importanly
B) How he typed that message! :D

LOL

Still, looking forward to your reel Gotan. I have seen some pretty impressive Star Wars hobby films so if you were involved in any of those then it will be cool to hear what you did.

Hope you have your keyboard back now :) such a mean daddy!!

Note: I am just reading the post again and it sounds like you have 2 PC's, well that sorts me out then!

ChrisBG
07-07-2005, 10:18 AM
TheFreak, that new idea was cool too. I'm going away for two days tomorrow morning, when I get back I will post what I think we should do. (Based on what you guys have posted, and I'll think about what idea I think is best) Of course feel free to keep throwing around ideas, but at this stage I'm really keen on doing the robot escape.

Thanks everyone!

-Chris

Pjanssen
07-07-2005, 12:31 PM
Hi Chris,

although I'm currently very busy with my own project (The Minas Tirith Project) and with some other minor personal projects too, I might find it fun to help a bit with this one.
You can have a look at my portfolio at www.endless-dimensions.com (http://www.endless-dimensions.com) if the MT project doesn't provide a clear enough image.
What I can do for a project like this is mainly modelling and cutting (Avid Xpress) and maybe some organisational or directing tasks if needed. You can contact me on msn or send me an email / pm (address is in my profile)

I really liked the idea of BOY1DA of the birthday party with the stripper coming in doing some kind of funky dance :D Some kind of funny story in the prehistorics would be great too.
I must say that I don't really like the robot stuff and all, but that's just something personal I think.

One more question: You say that you want to get anyone on board, no matter what his/her skills are. But what kind of quality of the final product are you aiming for?
I mean, from personal experience, it's good to consider this thing. Because, with all due respect of course, if you get a lot of unskilled people on board, it will be much harder for you and others to keep the qualitylevel up. So I think that it's good to find a fine balance in this. (I'm not saying that you should only let experts join of course)

TheFreak
07-07-2005, 01:22 PM
Hey Pjanssen,

Welcome aboard :)

Just having a wee look at your website. The MT project is pretty cool and you have some nice stuff there. I have not done much architecture, need to try it out sometime.

I like the prehistoric idea too, I think if we manage to make one movie perhaps we could go for a second when we are complete. So any idea we don't use now, we can use then. What ya think?

Anyway, as for the expert idea. I know what you mean. I am no great expert myself, I just tinker around, my texturing skill is very basic and my animation skills are even less so. I can model to a degree, but i have no idea how usable they are when it comes to modelling. However, I think that everyone has a talent, and regardless of experience in one area I am sure they can offer something to the project.

Chris: Looking forward to the final decision, hopefully I will be internet ready at the weekend and maybe we can all chat on MSN or something.

Pjanssen
07-07-2005, 02:10 PM
However, I think that everyone has a talent, and regardless of experience in one area I am sure they can offer something to the project.
A very true thing. I'm no great texturer either, and I'm still learning to animatie properly :P
The thing I wanted to point out was that I think one should be a bit reticent to getting beginners on the project. On a project which will last a long time beginners have the time to learn and can have the opportunity to improve the quality of their work over a longer period of time.
But in this case, a project with a much shorter schedule (if I'm right) they won't have that ability (or it will slow the whole process down in order to get to the wanted quality of work)

Just my 2 cents.. :)

Jay007
07-07-2005, 03:31 PM
Hey guys nice project idea u got going, id thought id add my 2 cents to the story, use it, dont use it, its up 2 you.

From what ive gathered so far uve got a robot(s) escaping from a factory of some kind. I like the concept and if going for a slapstick/Cheese comedy short you can rpoduce some very funny moments.

First up i think you should have only one robot escaping from the facotry so you can put more effort in to its personality and character instead of several robots. The type of personality the robot should have is a scooby doo type character. Even though he's scared of escaping he'll still do it and produce mishaps on the way. Next if its in a facotry with other robots theres got a be a reason why this robot is unique to the others and why this robot suddenly wants to escape.

Someone mentioned a robot recall and the robots getting destroyed which is good but maybe it could be a old/retired robot dis-assembly burning facility and while on the parts de-assembly line he accidently gets switched back on(if its a robot with AI) or if its a robot w/o AI maybe something happens thats triggers life into him(liquid gets spilt on to him, or the idea of a scooby doo doll/robot on the assembly line in front gets broken apart and his AI/Personality chip gets thrown back and lands in the robots upgrade port.).

You could then have a few comical moments on his way out and having him struggle to escape then as soon as he gets out something happens(cant think of anything atm) that dis-assembles him and then he gets set on fire which is exactly what wud've happened in the facotry. Finish with the line "Inevitability's a B**TCH" or something alodg those lines.

Havent thought about it too much(got a few ideas running in my head though) so its a bit vague, if you like the concept let me and i could do a full script.

TheFreak
07-07-2005, 03:46 PM
A very true thing. I'm no great texturer either, and I'm still learning to animatie properly :P
The thing I wanted to point out was that I think one should be a bit reticent to getting beginners on the project. On a project which will last a long time beginners have the time to learn and can have the opportunity to improve the quality of their work over a longer period of time.
But in this case, a project with a much shorter schedule (if I'm right) they won't have that ability (or it will slow the whole process down in order to get to the wanted quality of work)

Just my 2 cents.. :)

I can't argue with that :) Time is a killer when it comes to these things and I know that learning + doing slows things down considerably. I think leaving it open to everyone might still work though if we give the lesser experienced people tasks that allow a longer timeframe to complete. Then the more experienced can work on the more urgent items.

So far I think everyone has a decent enough degree of experience in their chosen area so fingers crossed :)

Pjanssen: You said in your first post that robots were not your thing, but are you still willing to work on this if it is the final story?
Also, alot of your 3D work is architecture is that your main love? or have you other stuff you would like to try in this project?
Most of my stuff is character based. So I am sure I will get a lot out of this movie too.

Pjanssen
07-07-2005, 04:08 PM
Pjanssen: You said in your first post that robots were not your thing, but are you still willing to work on this if it is the final story?
Well, it's not that robots aren't my thing. But I think that there have been so many robots in cg in the past that it would be better to do something without robots having a major role. But that's just my opinion, it's all up to Chris and the screenwriters to decide about the story.
So I'm not sure if I'll continue if there are robots playing the major roles.
I think that this will totally depend on the final script and the first storyboards and conceptart.

Also, alot of your 3D work is architecture is that your main love? or have you other stuff you would like to try in this project?
Most of my stuff is character based. So I am sure I will get a lot out of this movie too.
Yeah I've mostly been doing non organical modelling. So that's my strong point. I can do characters too, but I'm not that good at it.
For a project like this I'd love to do enviroments, props, that kind of stuff. But doing the cutting of the whole thing would be great too.

TheFreak
07-07-2005, 05:07 PM
I would be sorry to see you go over a robot issue. Personally I think that even if a robot does play a major role in this movie. It will relay heavily on a well constructed backdrop too. A factory would need to look very animated and busy to give off the right atmosphere.

I know the robot thing can be a little over done, and it would probably be a little more fun to go mad with proper organic modelling. I like the idea of a prehistoric movie. We could have a similar storyline with a cave man.

How about this:

A caveman is hunting wabbits :P (only kidding) DinoWabbits :) he sees a cute little bunny and throws his spear at it THUMP! direct it. Then out of the bushes comes the rest of the HUGE DinoWabbit. Caveman runs....Mishaps....Slapstick...Comedy....Escape...WOOHOOO! His rather inventive friend decides at that moment to test his new Wheel Invention by rolling it down the hill...WooHoo...Joy...Invention Works.....SQUISH!...our poor little cave man is resting at the bottom of the hill......cut to sunset with the wheel (with squished caveman) rolling along with DinoWabbit giving chase (with spear in bum) and the Inventor Cave man running after them both....END

What about that for an alternative :) Might be a fun move away from Robots....although i think there have been a few caveman movies on the go too!! I will be happy with whatever we do as long as we finish it!

Pjanssen
07-07-2005, 05:20 PM
What if we combine the robots and prehistorics? Like some sort of 'robot' constructed out of wood(branches) and rope to grab the killa-wabbits? :D

That sounds pretty fun to me :scream:

TheFreak
07-07-2005, 05:35 PM
A prehistoric robot! now that is a little different

I will give it a bit of thought and see what I can come up with. But it would be different that's for sure.

Are you thinking of the robot doing the hunting?

Actually then we could have the inventor rolling the rock down the hill as the robot was running up to safety :P

and all you would see is a mass of rocks and twigs left after the wheel hit him :P

fabianv
07-07-2005, 05:45 PM
Well.. personally I dont like Robots either.. its just that you guys were talking about robots and thought id make a mini story of my own to share..

I am really more into Organic things as it much more fun to play with values when its comes to that.

Pjanssen
07-07-2005, 06:05 PM
I am really more into Organic things as it much more fun to play with values when its comes to that.
Yeah I totally agree with that. You'll have much more freedom in the expressions for instance with organic characters.
I think that we can make a nice and funny mix of 'robots' or some kind of 'mechanics' and organical characters with the idea of mixing prehistorics and mechanics.

fabianv
07-07-2005, 06:18 PM
Yeah I totally agree with that. You'll have much more freedom in the expressions for instance with organic characters.
I think that we can make a nice and funny mix of 'robots' or some kind of 'mechanics' and organical characters with the idea of mixing prehistorics and mechanics.

In a way most people ive seen that make robots cant draw organic things to save their lives and hide behind geometric shapes that make up mechanical structures... but thats just me being biased :D

Pjanssen
07-07-2005, 07:09 PM
That's exactly why it's cool to work in a team with people from different 'trades' :)

BOY1DA
07-07-2005, 07:44 PM
Well,
the reason I joined this project is because, I wanted to take a break
from being the leader of a project , and wanted to relax with something
that is not so demanding on time or energy, and just fun.
I also wanted to meet and work with the people that normally would not
join into something like my project.

So my focus here is not so much quality based. I rather see something that just gets done.
I don’t mind if the quality is not that great , but I know I will be proud of the work I do
because I always do the best that I can no matter what. It don’t matter to me what
the story is about and I’ll say again I just want to see it done and have some fun.

Okay now speaking strictly from a technical perspective.
In the beginning I put in 2 basic style ideas, an organic style and a mechanical style.
Most went for the mechanical style.

Logically it is much more likely to get done working with mechanical models.
For technical reasons, you do not have to deal with deformations, morphing, clothe dynamics, hair dynamics and so on, so much time can be spent just to get those things to work and may burn out the
team before we even get to render a single frame. If you take those things away from and organic model
then it will just look like dolls or robots, hence the robot idea. That’s the same reason why toy story was pixars first major film and incredibles was their last. They waited until they had the skill and confidence to pull it off.

So if we really want to spend more time on the technical side while the other artist wait to see their work in action. I’m kool with that as well.

As far as some of the new ideas that have come,
stone age robots is a new twist on the robot Idea I like that .
Personally I’m pretty bored with sci-fi and dark and gloomy stuff. I do that all the time.
I like the mood of this Image (http://www.boy1da.com/Toon_Ref/jupiterrun.jpg) :p

Kirt
07-07-2005, 08:00 PM
BOY1DA makes some very good points. Also it should be mentioned that Pixar's first shorts were even more simplified in comparison to Toy Story. Please review Tin Toy, Luxo Jr., Knick Knack, Red's Dream and (their first short) The Adventures of Andre & Wally B.

Trying to achieve a finished film that has greater details or greater problems associated with it (like these examples) while communicating across the internet is going to be a massive task to undertake.

What I guess I'm trying to say is ... don't get too ambitious with your first try. Keep it simple.

Good luck folks! :thumbsup:

Pjanssen
07-07-2005, 08:11 PM
I completely agree to the things said above. But maybe it's good to ask ourselves this:
Are we trying to make a short with as little 'effort' as possible and try to complete it as soon as possible? Or are we going to try to make something as good as possible within a reasonable timeschedule?

Or said differently (and in a way that I asked a few posts ago): what will be the goal in terms of the quality?

If the goal will be to purely work to get something fully finished in a short time, than I can completely agree that we should try to keep things as simple and short as possible.
But you'll have to think this through very good, because you will want to keep things appealing to your audience.

BOY1DA
07-07-2005, 09:26 PM
An other short here on CG talk you may want to check out.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showpost.php?p=2442064&postcount=1

The Prophet
07-07-2005, 10:15 PM
Sorry for not posting, i had a week of vakation and no acces to any computer.

i have to tell you that we should really take the robot getting run over idea, if beeing worked out well that will be hilarious. i m home just now and just read all the post very fast. ill read it more carefully tomorrow.

Pjanssen
07-07-2005, 11:52 PM
i have to tell you that we should really take the robot getting run over idea, if beeing worked out well that will be hilarious.
Maybe I missed something, but which story/idea are you talking about?

TheFreak
07-08-2005, 09:22 AM
I completely agree to the things said above. But maybe it's good to ask ourselves this:
Are we trying to make a short with as little 'effort' as possible and try to complete it as soon as possible? Or are we going to try to make something as good as possible within a reasonable timeschedule?

Or said differently (and in a way that I asked a few posts ago): what will be the goal in terms of the quality?

If the goal will be to purely work to get something fully finished in a short time, than I can completely agree that we should try to keep things as simple and short as possible.
But you'll have to think this through very good, because you will want to keep things appealing to your audience.

I don't think it's a matter of effort. I know everyone will put whatever effort is required to complete the project. However, The more complicated the project, the more problems we will encounter. I think your second point is closer to the mark. As good as we can in a reasonable timeframe.

The goal in terms of quality, the way i see it, is to create something that you would be proud to show to another. In my case that would be just about anything :P by keeping the story short and the concept simple then we are more likely to complete this project to a higher degree of quality. The more complex elements we add to this, the bigger chance we have of getting tangled up in a mess of technical info.

I've said it once (i think) and i'll say it again, I really don't care what the models are, I just want to finish something that I am proud of.

OK, back to the concepts. IF we go for the prehistoric thing, and we need Chris for the final decision. What about a Hamster Powered Robot. Not so much a robot, but a machine that the hamster runs in to complete a task. That we, we have the easy option for robot animation (from a distance) and we can use up close shots of the hamster for organic expressions. This is going to be toon like after all so we can give the hamster expressions that a normal hamster would not normally have. I'm kinda thinking "Gopher from Caddyshack" here, not too mad on the expressions, but enough to get the point (and humor) across :P

What ya think? Or is that me just being silly :P it could be a cog-tastic nightmare :)

**EDIT

BTW, I am also still up for Strippers and Cake but it is just a great combination. Strippers and Cake....just say it slowly S t r i p p e r s a n d C a k e....pure class. And to throw little kiddies into the mix......brilliant!!

The Prophet
07-08-2005, 12:06 PM
A caveman is hunting wabbits :P (only kidding) DinoWabbits :) he sees a cute little bunny and throws his spear at it THUMP! direct it. Then out of the bushes comes the rest of the HUGE DinoWabbit. Caveman runs....Mishaps....Slapstick...Comedy....Escape...WOOHOOO! His rather inventive friend decides at that moment to test his new Wheel Invention by rolling it down the hill...WooHoo...Joy...Invention Works.....SQUISH!...our poor little cave man is resting at the bottom of the hill......cut to sunset with the wheel (with squished caveman) rolling along with DinoWabbit giving chase (with spear in bum) and the Inventor Cave man running after them both....END

i think this is a cool idea, but personnaly i think we should place this in a mechianical eviroment (mentiont already). so like the trees are made of nuts and bolts, mix stuff up. And i think we can give the robot enough expression by giving it an human face with big eyes and all.

we should really get the ideas down now, and start working on something. i think this way we will create more intrest from other people, and maybe our crew will get bigger.

btw: i can model a nice robot in 1 day if someone else makes the design and hand that over to me.

and sorry for all the bad english.

ChrisBG
07-09-2005, 04:35 AM
Ok guys, I'm back. Some very good points have been made, and I will take time to read over everyone's posts once again.

@Pjanssen (http://cgtalk.com/member.php?u=34731) - Welcome aboard. Yes, I say that anyone is welcome aboard. I don't expect that this movie will look brilliant, because it's going to be simple, and done in our spare time, but I imagine that it's going to look good. We'll just make everything more simpler (such as the story, the models, the length of the film), so it looks like a good simple film, rather than a bad complex film, if you get what I mean.

I agree, that a robot factory would be quite a complex thing to do. We could take shortcuts, but we could also go to something simpler: The prehistorics is a cool idea. The backgrounds could be VERY simple, and we could do something similar to what TheFreak suggested. The caveman wouldn't have to talk much, just make noises, and we could come up with a range of funny things he could do.

Are we trying to make a short with as little 'effort' as possible and try to complete it as soon as possible? Or are we going to try to make something as good as possible within a reasonable timeschedule?[

The answer is really number two. We don't want to spend too long, but we also want a decent film. That said, we're going to make things as simple as possible.

We could spend the next year talking about ideas, but we want to start working. So we're going to vote. I want everyone involved to WANT to get this project finished, so I want as many people as possible to express their opinions and vote on an idea.

Option 1: Original Robots idea - Basically a short film about a robot trying to escape from a factory. He longs to get out and see the world. There's a whole lot of things we could do with this, but I really like the idea that TheFreak suggested, how once he gets outside he gets run over. The only real downside I see to this is the factory could be hard to animate and model. (In a short time period, if we want it to look good)

Option 2: Prehistoric idea - basically we do a movie about a caveman. I don't have an idea yet, but I could imagine that we could come up with some really funny things. The backgrounds etc. could be really simple, and there's a lot of flexibility here.

If you REALLY dispise both ideas, please say so. I'd like confirmation from as many people as possible on an idea, and then we can get to it. I am a bit worried that if we try to do the factory idea, we'd spend too much time waiting for it to be modeled and animated etc. and some people would drop off the project. We want things to run smoothly so everyone has something to do all the time, and people are seeing progress regularaly.

-Chris

fabianv
07-09-2005, 10:37 AM
Option 2 - As it is far more fun to conceptualise :D I think our workflow would be faster with something simpler like this.

Pjanssen
07-09-2005, 10:44 AM
We could spend the next year talking about ideas, but we want to start working. So we're going to vote. I want everyone involved to WANT to get this project finished, so I want as many people as possible to express their opinions and vote on an idea.
I think that we should not try to hurry on this point actually. I mean, decided the subject and making the final script/storyboard and concepts are in my eyes crucial to the rest of the process. So I would opt for not rushing through these stages (even though I'll have to wait for it before I could do some work on the project :P )

For the subject: I would go for option 2, the prehistoric idea. I think that this has more potential in terms of storytelling and if worked out properly could result in a much more appealing story. But if you disagree with this, please say so, it's your project of course :)

fabianv
07-09-2005, 11:51 AM
I think that we should not try to hurry on this point actually. I mean, decided the subject and making the final script/storyboard and concepts are in my eyes crucial to the rest of the process. So I would opt for not rushing through these stages (even though I'll have to wait for it before I could do some work on the project :P )

For the subject: I would go for option 2, the prehistoric idea. I think that this has more potential in terms of storytelling and if worked out properly could result in a much more appealing story. But if you disagree with this, please say so, it's your project of course :)

What is the point of rushing anyways? :) We take it slow and enjoy what we're doing.. but at the same time we should not neglect the project. :thumbsup:

TheFreak
07-09-2005, 03:05 PM
I am up for Option 2, the prehistoric idea sounds like it would be a lot of fun and we coule create a very stylized look to the animation.

BTW I am finally on the Internet in the house. Feel free to MSG me on MSN or ICQ.

Cheers

BOY1DA
07-09-2005, 06:01 PM
Well I am willing to go with what the majority likes.
I'm pretty much here for the ride so I don't mind any of the ideas so far.

The Prophet
07-09-2005, 06:45 PM
although mechanics are my favorit subject, i will go for option 2.

TheFreak
07-11-2005, 08:51 AM
Jeeze I finally get the net in the house and nobody is talking LOL :D

It looks like everyone is happy with option 2. So what about this for a basic concept.

We could do a prehistoric Wile E Coyote and Roadrunner type of thing. The cave man could be the equivilant of wile e coyote and we could have a wee dino or some other cute critter as the roadrunner that always outwits him.
We only need to do one encounter between the pair to make up the 1-2 min slot. And if it works maybe we could do more.

What ya think?

ChrisBG
07-11-2005, 08:59 AM
Yeah that's a cool idea. I think we'd need more than one encounter though, it would be much funnier if he had to try a number of times.

-Chris

TheFreak
07-11-2005, 10:13 AM
Well if we allow about 30 seconds for each encounter then we could get 4 into a 2 min slot.

I know the original Wile E had a few encounters per toon, but some of them were quite long and unless we want to extend the animation then i think we need to limit ourselves.

I guess we will need to see what the writer comes up with.

fabianv: do you want to have a go at some caveman concepts? or cute animal concepts?

I might have a go myself but you are a hell of a lot more talented than me at the 2d stuff :P

Pjanssen
07-11-2005, 10:23 AM
Yeah, but don't forget about the intro. You'll need to take some time for that too.
And there have to be reasons for say four encounters between the two characters too.

TheFreak
07-11-2005, 10:32 AM
I don't know if we need to have a reason other than the caveman hunting the creature for food, and hopefully this will be obvious when he trys to catch it (and fails). The only thing i really remember from the Wile E cartoons was him chasing the roadrunner and then they would pause the cartoon and put the name of the character below them in a latin style.

I don't really mind how many encounters we do. I would think one would be easier to script because it would have a start - middle - end. However I am sure we could script a couple with the same end result.

Pjanssen
07-11-2005, 12:44 PM
A couple of direct confrontations will be good I think. After all, the whole short will be about the confrontation of those two isn't it? :)
Something like
'caveman needs food, sees the creature'
''caveman tries a couple of tricks to catch the creature but fails each time'
'something of a conclusion'
:)

TheFreak
07-11-2005, 01:01 PM
A couple of direct confrontations will be good I think. After all, the whole short will be about the confrontation of those two isn't it? :)
Something like
'caveman needs food, sees the creature'
''caveman tries a couple of tricks to catch the creature but fails each time'
'something of a conclusion'
:)

That works for me, especially if we have the falling off the cliff thing weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee whack (puff of smoke) :D

Pjanssen
07-11-2005, 01:04 PM
Haha yeah. We're slowly heading towards some kind of slapstick now :scream:

TheFreak
07-11-2005, 01:21 PM
hehehe yea i know, ok maybe that is a little silly :P

Looking forward to something being scripted though. In my current state of mind i don't know if i would be the best man for that job, i think all this heat is getting to me. Us Irish can't cope with it!!

Geohound4
07-11-2005, 04:00 PM
hey i would love to sign up i have somemodeling exp and can do any concept work you would like.

TheFreak
07-11-2005, 06:48 PM
Hey Geohound,

It's up to Chris at the moment who comes aboard but I can't see there being a problem. I think he is looking loads of people to help out :)

we are still trying to figure out the story yet, but once that is complete we will be starting to work.

fabianv is the main concept artist at the moment so you could always work with him on concepts to begin with.

It looks like we are going for the cartoon caveman movie, so I am sure any prehistoric backgounds would be a welcome start from anyone.

fabianv
07-11-2005, 08:03 PM
fabianv: do you want to have a go at some caveman concepts? or cute animal concepts?

As you wish captain! *takes out his tools* :D Will update soon

TheFreak
07-11-2005, 09:04 PM
I am no captain, i am just a pushy deck hand :P

fabianv
07-11-2005, 10:45 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/fabianv/concept1.jpg

Very rough, very quick.. just sortof playing with ideas.

TheFreak
07-11-2005, 10:49 PM
I like the idea of making him out of proportion. It might be fun to look for something that would have existed back in those days and then freak it up a little.

I don't know about huge legs but then again this is just a rough concept so anything goes :)

I think the original idea was to make a pixar style animation, so we need to make him kinda cute and toon like too. Or would that not work??

What ya think?

fabianv
07-11-2005, 11:35 PM
Another damn quick 2 minute drawing...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/fabianv/concept2.jpg

This one totally contrasts with the previous one and has a bit of a pixarish feeling to it.
Instead of being droopy and lame and slow and tired this one is hyper and looks like its on drugs. Its short legs compliment to the comedy and irony towards the stupid caveman trying to chase it. As he runs you could have his legs spinning around like mad and have him speed off ;)

Anyways.. just another quick idea.. its raw scribbling.. not aimed at quality or anything like that.

TheFreak
07-11-2005, 11:45 PM
hahaha i love the head

i like the idea of it being a bird and the small fast legs. And a flightless bird is even better :P make the caveman seem even more useless :)

nice one keep it up

**edit just had a thought on th look a little more and i think it might be funny if it was a really nervous creature. he looks a little on edge already but perhaps he could act like he has had too much coffee and is very edgy and paranoid!

BOY1DA
07-12-2005, 12:20 AM
I don't think the critter concept has to be a bird like animal.
In my head I see a small lizard like animal ...

Maybe you can get more ideas off of that ?

ChrisBG
07-12-2005, 02:18 AM
Great stuff guys. Nice concepts, they look really cool. It would be funny if our little critter looked really stuipid, so when it just sat there the caveman would get really frustrated. I think a bird-like creature with really big eyes would be funny, but we could cross creatures to create something a bit newer. This is pixar style.

I think the original idea was to make a pixar style animation, so we need to make him kinda cute and toon like too. Or would that not work??

Yeah, the cuter and more stupid he looks, the funnier it becomes. Look at puss-in-boots(?) from Shrek 2, for example. In our case, its eyes could get really big and it could look cute and fuzzy - it makes you think "oww, who would want to hurt that?". The audience feels like the animal/thing/critter is cute and harmless, but the caveman is really annoyed and frustrated, and just wants to kill it. (eat it?)

-Chris

Pjanssen
07-12-2005, 08:10 AM
I don't think the critter concept has to be a bird like animal.
In my head I see a small lizard like animal ...

Maybe you can get more ideas off of that ?
Yeah I agree, if we're to go for the prehistoric idea, it would have to be would lizard like to make it convincible.
I don't want to stop fabian from making concepts, but shouldn't we (or someone) write the script first, so that we know what kind of look and feel the characters should have?

BOY1DA
07-12-2005, 08:31 AM
Yeah I agree, if we're to go for the prehistoric idea, it would have to be would lizard like to make it convincible.
I don't want to stop fabian from making concepts, but shouldn't we (or someone) write the script first, so that we know what kind of look and feel the characters should have?

Yea , I also have to agree ... having a script would be nice :shrug:

Oh and as for critters.... Jason Gillen's work has some kool looking critters. (http://www.jaygillen.com/sketches/index.htm)
Maybe get some more ideas off that stuff.....

TheFreak
07-12-2005, 09:22 AM
Yea I do think a lizard would make more sense, I guess i was swayed by the ghost of roadrunner :P

How about it being a slow fat creature, and the humor could also come from the fact that the caveman is so bad at hunting that he can't even catch this lump. I am seeing the critter just sitting on the ground blinking and chewing on a bit of grass. And when he moves he waddles slowly. :P

OK I am just making stuff up here, It would be great to have a script. Do we have any takers for the task?

**EDIT

BTW that guys critters are fantastic!

The Prophet
07-12-2005, 11:45 AM
Ok here is my input for the story:

The caveman is very hungry

The caveman sees a little cute creature, and looks at it like "its sooo cute i want it" but the audience knows the caveman just want to eat it.

But then the creature runs away pretty fast.

The caveman totally obsesst about the creature, invents the wheel to get after him faster.

after some problems the caveman finally has the cute creature.

but then just when the caveman wants to take a bite out of the creature, its looks at the man with its big cute eyes, and the caveman tottally falls in love with the creature.

and them BEM! a big T-Rex type creature eats them both real quick.

and maybe we can call the movie: Human "evolution" so litterly with the ""
--------------------------------------------------------------------

what do you guys think about this story, is it to long? to complicated?
i think it will be very funny.

nomadicrain
07-12-2005, 04:40 PM
This project is looking very neat. I would love to help out with it. I can model decently (check the links in my sig for some models that are not quite finished but give you an idea) I am also learning to animate as that is what I really want to do so if you guys just let me know what you want I can do it.

I look forward to seeing this concept fleshed out some more. I will think on it and see if I can come up with something to add.

TheFreak
07-12-2005, 05:13 PM
OK Here goes at my half assed attempt at a script. This will probably be a pretty nasty ride so hold on tight and keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle at all times.

----------

We open on a bright blue sky and a glowing sun beams down. The title fades in with the gentle tones of a classical score celebrating this fine and pleasant morning.

The scene slowly pans down to reveal a rocky mountain side. Small bushes grow on the sides and their ripe berries glow in the morning sun.

Slowly we come to the base of the mountain and to the beginning of a cave and a small clearing. The ground is well worn down and scattered here and there are the bleached white bones of animals. Some rotten fruit ferments in the corner and small flies hover above.

Laying flat on his back snoring, is a man. He is scruffy and unkept and the only garment of clothing covering his vast body is a small piece of animal skin flopped over his genitals. He grunts and snores loudly and swats at flies as they hover over him attracted by the smell.

He coughs loudly and painfully several times before sitting up and spitting out a globule of phlegm onto the ground trapping a few unsuspecting insects in the process. He angles himself to the side in order to let out a loud satisfying fart. What little of the garment that covers his body is flapped by the force.

He stands up and stretches loudly, and then proceeds to scratch his over hanging belly. A strange roar is heard and his face lights up with a mixture of fear and mystery. He stands silent in the clearing nervously looking around him...the roar is heard again and he looks down in relief at his jiggling rumbling stomach.

He looks at the mass of rotting fruit and animal bones in the clearing and is frustrated at the lack of food available to him. He pokes about in a vain attempt to find a morsel but each attempt reveals nothing.

While he is poking he hears a rustle in the bushes. He stops poking and slowly shuffles over to his spear propped up against the mountain side. He silently sneaks across the clearing to a nearby bush and pops his head up over the top to see what is making the noise.

A few meters away he sees a little plump lizard scuttling around from plant to plant munching on leaves and twigs. He raises his spear, never taking his eyes off the feast. The spear is hurled through the air, spinning like a drill aimed at the little lizards head.

The lizard moves quickly out of the way of the spear and grabs it in mid air in his teeth. The cave man looks shocked and annoyed as he sees the little lizard munching down on his only spear. The lizard munches the spear down and then coughs lightly several times before puking up the stone tip of the spear before running away again to find more food.

The caveman, is furious. He runs at the lizard screaming and waving his arms and chasing the lizard from plant to plant. The lizard is quick and the cave man does not stand a chance. After a few seconds he stops chasing to catch his breath. The lizard continues to feast on the vegetation around him.

The cave man thinks for a second and then Ah ha!! He runs off only to appear a few seconds later disguised as a bush. He has twigs poking out of the waistline of his clothing stuffed into the back of his pants is a small club.

He sneaks up to the critter slowly, the lizard looks oddly at the moving bush and then scurries over to feast. It nibbles on a few of the lower leaves and then runs up his leg. A look of shock comes across the poor cavemans face and without thinking he grabs the club and strikes at the critter. WHUMP!.. He lets out a small wimper and collapses on the ground in the fetal position. The lizard scurries out from under his loincloth and proceeds to eat the branch he was previously holding.

The Caveman is boiling with anger and he jumps up quickly and gives the critter chase again. The critter runs around quickly and heads towards the edge of a cliff. The caveman feels he has him beat and picks up speed. The little critter keeps running and jumps off the edge. The opens his arms and legs to reveal he can glide on the skin in between (like a squirrel, not sure what you call that). The cave man looks in shock as the little lizard swoops and glides over his head back to the cliff edge.

The caveman looks at the lizard on the edge and then looks down.......gravity kicks in and he falls down the canyon.

A small puff of smoke plumes where the caveman landed. The camera zooms down to reveal him lying face down on the ground embedded in the soil. There is a small rumbling coming from the caveman and his loincloth flaps as he lets out another fart.

END

-----------

OK that might be a little long and i have no idea how to animate all that!!. But we can cut it down and I am sure someone will know the animation and if not then we can learn :P

Just an idea folks so let me know what you think.

Cheers

nomadicrain
07-12-2005, 06:25 PM
I love the idea...it had me laughing pretty hard. Already got some ideas for how all of this would look. Just let me know what you guys would like me to do.

BOY1DA
07-12-2005, 06:29 PM
:applause: “TheFreak” I’m luving that one so far… good character moments at the start.

Oh ,oh, oh…..Okay let me try one.

Sunny day….
Start off looking at a beautiful flower.

Small animal “CRITTER” eating bugs or licking sap or dew off the flower, standing in front a big rock.

All of a sudden ,out of nowhere springs a cave man from behind the rock screaming his battle cry like a mad man. Holding a big club or stone axe over his head.

He swings at the critter missing, and crushing the flower. critter runs off.

Then a funny slap stick gag happens with the cave man almost getting the critter.

Critter runs off into the distance into some bushes beside a small cave.

The cave man assumes that it ran into the cave.
The cave man runs into the cave, he stops in the dark turns around with a strange look.
The camera zooms out from the look on his face out of the cave to reveal , a very large dinosaur. closing his mouth with the cave man inside.

THE END.

SOME NOTES:
Maybe we can put some bones, in front of the so called “CAVE”
as well as large rocks and bushes . to hide the fact it’s not a cave.

When the cave man is in the cave maybe he sees a human skull.
Or he feels that his feet are slimy, and looks down curiously.

I really like how “TheFreak” started his story as well , maybe we can start it like that.
if it is not too long. Then cut to the flower after he farts.

A concept I drew of a critter. and a quick doodle of the caveman jumping over the rock with his club.
http://www.boy1da.com/CGTALK/CRITTER_01.jpg

nomadicrain
07-12-2005, 06:42 PM
I like the creature design you have there...very cute.

TheFreak
07-12-2005, 07:05 PM
Hey guys,

glad you liked the ideas. I like the flower Idea i think it has some nice humor and style.

Although I think from a purely technical point of view, my story could be a nightmare.

We are trying to make something quick and not too difficult. This being the case i think it might be better to have everything done within the same backdrop. With a little creative camera work we could make it look a lot bigger than it is.

Take a look at this animation, it is a similar concept. It is also very well done and very funny.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=189227&highlight=atomic+monsters

I don't want to copy it, but i think we can learn from it.

Cheers

fabianv
07-12-2005, 08:05 PM
I would personally go for The_Freaks story.. ChrisBG can simplify it and make it more practical but please KEEP the farting :D I LOVE IT!!! :D :D :D I laughed so much!

ChrisBG
07-12-2005, 11:48 PM
This project is looking very neat. I would love to help out with it. I can model decently (check the links in my sig for some models that are not quite finished but give you an idea) I am also learning to animate as that is what I really want to do so if you guys just let me know what you want I can do it.

I look forward to seeing this concept fleshed out some more. I will think on it and see if I can come up with something to add

Welcome aboard. ;)

I think it's been established now that our caveman is lacking food, and wants to hunt this creature, but has a hard time. Now, I think we should all list a whole bunch of 'attempt' ideas, and also think about a few things: Do we want our caveman to succeed? Why/why not? What will happen to the critter? etc. Then we can put it together into a small script.

Great ideas TheFreak, I really liked how you dealt with the characters. Your story is pretty close to what we'll end up doing probably. We might need to simplify it and such, but good work.

-Chris

Kirt
07-13-2005, 09:02 AM
TheFreak - Love that story idea you wrote up. I think you're heading in the right direction. Keep it to just two characters and one set and I think you might have something managable. A few suggestions if I may ... You could have the whole story happen in an area just outside of his cave and the lizard scurries between plants and the nearby rock surfaces. The cliff is nearby and visible in most shots (foreshadowing his demise at the end :D ). Change the spear "throw" to a "jab" and have the lizard turn quickly to catch and eat the spear, pulling it from the caveman's hands as he chews towards the end. Have the caveman stand nearby in disbelief as the lizard eats his spear and then (mockingly) spits out the stone part to hit the caveman in the face. After this happens and the caveman becomes furious he could then grab for the lizard in vain as the lizard quickly darts away from capture several times and then goes back to munching on plants as the caveman's face turns red with anger. A large branch or cliff face could jut out at the top of the cliff for the lizard to run along while being chased to the edge (just to bring the creature up to eye level with the caveman so he becomes oblivious to the danger underfoot).Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

TheFreak
07-13-2005, 09:31 AM
wow i am flattered by all the great comments.

I think some of the points that Kirt brought up would really help us make this a reality. Working in one scene would help us speed up the modelling process and it also means we can concentrate on making this one scene look great instead of several scenes rushed.

With some good camera movements and closeups we could really make the most out of a small space and therefore reduce the need for additional work.

I would also like to hear other peoples ideas on the slapstick sections of the story. We kinda have a beginning and an end so far, and we have a middle but it might be nice to have a few middles to choose from :)

Looking forward to hearing what you come up with.

** EDIT
Fixed my funky spelling mistake (Sorry Kirt :))

fabianv
07-13-2005, 01:54 PM
I think some of the points that kirk brought up would really help us make this a reality.

I think you mean Kirt :D

TheFreak
07-15-2005, 08:38 AM
Hey Folks,

Has nobody got any more ideas for the script?!

How about concepts? I have an idea for a caveman but on paper he just doesn't look right. I might have a go at modelling a quick version of him from my head and see if it works out.

I'll post progress as soon as i have some :)

joewalker123
07-15-2005, 12:44 PM
Sounds cool. Ime currently working on a short sci fi battle scene animation. But would love to get involved. What ideas do you have in mind?

fabianv
07-15-2005, 07:45 PM
Sorry I have been so busy lately .. will do something soon enough; we're not in a rush are we?

TheFreak
07-17-2005, 04:10 PM
Hey folks,

I got bored so i started to mess about with a caveman idea.
Came up with this so far. Not working from any concepts so it might look a little strange :P

The general idea was to give him a big head and a little fat body. Any comments are welcome. I'll probably finish im regardless of weather we use him or not.

http://www.mad-theory.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/start.jpg

Cheers

TheFreak
07-18-2005, 12:33 AM
Hi Folks,

Played about with this model a bit more. Like I say this is just my version of a concept drawing (because my 2D drawing is not great). Anyway I hope this gets across the body shape I was going for. I am not liking the head so much now, i would like a more cartoon feel.

But maybe this will inspire someone else to come up with some concepts.

C&C is always welcome.

http://www.mad-theory.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/cave1.jpg

http://www.mad-theory.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/cave2.jpg

http://www.mad-theory.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/cave3.jpg

Cheers

*edit

I still need to add the hands.
I am getting kinda worried that all my characters so far are naked with just a bit of cloth covering their bits!!! Would that be considered a style :P

BOY1DA
07-19-2005, 06:08 AM
I wanted to pretend that I was a concept artist again :hmm: :p

TheFreak: How bout "Popeye" arms !?!? :shrug:

http://www.boy1da.com/CGTALK/caveman.jpg

TheFreak
07-19-2005, 10:05 AM
oh i like i like!!

my redesign of the face didn't go to well last night but i might have a few ideas to fix this one. I like the chin in your concept too so i might just play a little more with this guy. I'll post stuff as soon as it's done.

Cheers

BOY1DA
07-19-2005, 12:17 PM
I drew this while I was trying to think up ideas for my movie project.
Drawing is a good way to take a break from holding a mouse.
I guess all you guys with fancy tablets, don't have that problem.:rolleyes:

http://www.boy1da.com/CGTALK/Caveman_02.jpg

TheFreak
07-19-2005, 12:57 PM
That is one cool caveman.

I LOVE IT! :)

He has loads of character and a funky caveman look.
He gets my vote!!
Great Stuff

jesuislinus
07-19-2005, 01:24 PM
funny...

ive got a wip called sord...
here are two renders:
http://www.linus.de/cgnet/m1.jpg
http://www.linus.de/cgnet/m2.jpg

the basemesh was made in cinema:
http://www.linus.de/cgnet/2.jpg

maybe it could be transformed into something toonlike, as your
models are toony...

if intersted just reply, and ill put the model online for you.

jesuislinus
07-19-2005, 01:39 PM
heh....

http://www.linus.de/cgnet/urmensch.jpg

TheFreak
07-19-2005, 02:46 PM
Hey jesuislinus,

Thanks for the offer of the model, it looks pretty good.

As yet i don't know whats happening with the critter. We have a couple of concepts but nothing final. However we will keep your model in mind. His it been through z-brush? you seemto have a lot or detail on a rather low poly model!

I like the caveman too, different style but a nice little sketch none the less :)

jesuislinus
07-19-2005, 03:12 PM
its tuned in zbrush but i think if u used in your project it shoul get some toonlook, so things would have to be done a bit different. what software do you use for modeling ?

jesuislinus
07-19-2005, 03:27 PM
maybe something like this for the head:

http://www.linus.de/cgnet/urmensch2.jpg

TheFreak
07-19-2005, 04:39 PM
hehe you are a busy man!!

Yea i would like to make the critter very toon like regardless of what we go for in the end up.

I am using Lightwave btw

ronaldomiranda
07-19-2005, 11:59 PM
Hey ppl...i just walk across the thread , and liked the design , the characters!
i have talked to The Freak and would like to help on this way:

I am a composer/musician...would like to m ake some original soundtracks.

if you would like to hear my work, please visit my site http://www.stystudios.com

thanx

Ronaldo

TheFreak
07-20-2005, 01:08 AM
Hey Ronaldo,

Welcome aboard, I am sure your help will me more than needed once we get a final storyboard etc up and running.

Anyway, I liked BOY1DA's concept so much i thought i would give it a go. Here is my progress after tonight. I have just started on the head, hopefully get that done tomorrow.

I really like the feel of this guy and I think he will be quite funny in a movie. As always C&C is welcome.

http://www.mad-theory.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/caveman2.jpg

The Ears and Feet are from the other guy (saves a bit of modelling time :D)

BOY1DA
07-20-2005, 04:06 AM
I tried to draw a simple version of his body , to help you out.

And also tried to give you some tips. Some stuff I tried to draw didn’t really look as good as in my head.
I hope you still can understand what I’m trying to show in the image below.

First thing , come on man does he really need that stump, between his legs.
Give him a belly button instead, and maybe some nipples.

His posture could be tweaked a bit,
move his upper body back, and pull his lower body forward just a tad
to give him kind of a slouched but laid back feel.

If you look at what I drew his head and body are one, he has no neck.
so when you model the head you should try to model it as one big part.
you should put a big spear there to guide you as you work.

I think his upper arms could be a bit shorter, and the lower arms more dominant,
your over all size looks real good.

The hands could be fatter chubbier. The size you have now is real good.
I think the feet could be bigger, but they also look good small too.
I think you should make the feet a bit more simpler. take out the tendon lines.

I also think you could simplify his mid section. and make it shorter and smaller.
The upper abs look okay but the love handles look strange, maybe take the love handles out.

Oh and maybe we can make a smoother transition between his butt and his upper leg.

Well that’s my crit list for now. I wish I could work on him too. But I got to model
some crap for, yep, you know my dumb movie …. but if you need help we can tag team up on him I can try to help with the tweaks. I’m sure you will do a great job, and won’t need my help.

No fare you get to have all the fun :p

http://www.boy1da.com/CGTALK/caveman_crit_01.jpg

ChrisBG
07-20-2005, 08:52 AM
@ronaldomiranda (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=37766) - Thanks for your interest. I was actually planning to score this film, but I will defenately listen to your music and will contact you in the near future, it might be nice to collaborate on this or something.

@jesuislinus (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=121356) - Thank you! Yeah we haven't decided on what our critter will be like but I would defenately like to see a few dinosuars or something in there. Would you be interested in working on making some cartoony dino's? Especially birds etc, they'll be used to set the scene and some other things.

@TheFreak (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=8526) - Great job so far. I've been reading over BOY1DA (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=74168)'s comments and that pretty much covers what I had to say. Forget any rules you learnt about proportions, because breaking those rules is what's important here. Pixar caveman, pixar caveman. Thanks for the great work and I look foward to it's progress!

For the rest of us. Let's keep thinking about that critter thing. Something annoying, but cute at the same time. What sort of thing do we want him to be etc.

Looking good!

-Chris

TheFreak
07-20-2005, 10:13 AM
WOW that is a lot of crits :) glad to see it. OK here goes with a Quote Fest:

First thing , come on man does he really need that stump, between his legs.
Give him a belly button instead, and maybe some nipples.

Awww i like the stump....lol....consider it gone....I guess i was still in stripper modeling mode :D
The details will come when i have the base mesh down.

His posture could be tweaked a bit,
move his upper body back, and pull his lower body forward just a tad
to give him kind of a slouched but laid back feel.

No Problem. I should have posted a few views of him for you but i was tired :P

If you look at what I drew his head and body are one, he has no neck.
so when you model the head you should try to model it as one big part.
you should put a big spear there to guide you as you work.

I didn't actually know what why the head was modelled, so this clears things up. I see what you have done in the sketch below so i will go for that.

I think his upper arms could be a bit shorter, and the lower arms more dominant,
your over all size looks real good.

I agree, it looks a lot better.

The hands could be fatter chubbier. The size you have now is real good.
I think the feet could be bigger, but they also look good small too.
I think you should make the feet a bit more simpler. take out the tendon lines.

Yea, i played with the look of them for a bit last night, but to be honest i didn't think of chubbing out the fingers to make the land look bigger. You look at these things so long you miss the obvious :D The feet are big-ish, the perspective view makes them look smaller than they are, but i'll play about with them a little more and see how they look with big crazy clown feet....lol only kidding

I also think you could simplify his mid section. and make it shorter and smaller.
The upper abs look okay but the love handles look strange, maybe take the love handles out.

Love Handles RULE!!! Well thats what I tell myself anyway. I suppose they are a little too much for a toon, so out they will go.

Oh and maybe we can make a smoother transition between his butt and his upper leg.

The legs and feet were from the other guy and they were the last thing I did last night. Didn't tweak them much so I will do that tonight.

Well that’s my crit list for now. I wish I could work on him too. But I got to model
some crap for, yep, you know my dumb movie …. but if you need help we can tag team up on him I can try to help with the tweaks. I’m sure you will do a great job, and won’t need my help.

No fare you get to have all the fun :p

He is a fun little dude to model, no doubt about that. I think he will be very funny once he is animated.

ChrisBG: Hows things, havn't seen you on in a bit. I hope we can get things finalised soon for the script and then we can begin storyboarding. If you are happy with BOY1DA's Caveman design then we can go with it for the final film. Once I get him finished (and learn a bit of UVing in the process) then I will try a few critter ideas (if no one else has started them)

Cheers

Pjanssen
07-20-2005, 09:05 PM
Some nice stuff around here. I haven't had time to read all the posts, so maybe this has already been said.
Chris, I think that it would be good if you clear some things up on the workflow side. I mean, what do you want people to do at this moment? Starting with a couple of concepts to a script, or working from a script to concepts?
I personally think that the second one would be best if you want to get things rolling quickly and structured.

Another thing, how does the team look at the moment? Are there any crucial positions left unfilled?

ronaldomiranda
07-20-2005, 09:36 PM
thanx for the reply man...

I am just waiting any contact.

cya ;)

fabianv
07-21-2005, 12:00 AM
I just came back from my 6 month holiday from Europe and I feel lazy because only in a few days there has been so many comments and works.. I will try do something asap.. theres so many great ideas already. :shrug:

TheFreak
07-21-2005, 01:59 AM
hey guys, trying to give you a good big update so here he is after some tweaking and some additions:

http://www.mad-theory.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/front.jpg

http://www.mad-theory.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/persp.jpg

http://www.mad-theory.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/side.jpg

Comments always welcome, sorry about the big pics, to tired to resize them :P

Mr.No
07-21-2005, 03:20 AM
I think I can do some modeling.I model in 3DS Max 6-Polymodeling(preffered).

But you still need an enviroment modeler.
As I've notised you are making a cave story.You can put something like the monkey of Lion King-he was funny and the bird,also I liked the caracters-they are easy to make but effective.

I like the idea about the robots and the idea about the birthday party(nice and funny).

Just tell me what do you need and I'll try to make it.

I will do the modeling in my free time(in summer I have a lots of free time) when I don't make my project "Genius at Work".

If you want me I'm yours (hehehehe he).

[How can I insert pic from my computer to show you my progress(little noobish but not every1 is born with the knowlege)?]

BOY1DA
07-21-2005, 09:04 AM
Okay,
First of all I’d like to compliment you on the good job on what you done so far.
Man, you’re a liar your not lazy at all, yea I called you a liar :p
Great job on the head, I think you captured the eye brow really good.
Now time for my crits of the day …I’ll try to keep my crits to a minimal today.
Because I’m actually the lazy one.

Well I’ll try to give it a broad stroke first.
The thing that catches my eyes over all is your body parts
seem to be very segmented, even tough they are all joined together.

I can almost see where you stopped to model each part.
Because he is organic we really want to hide that.
You have all the parts there if you isolate them they are modeled great.
But they don’t flow into each other .
You have a lot of broken surface continuity between parts.
You want to try to get the parts to flow together somewhat like “meta balls”
or the flow that a “nurbs” curve has.

When I drew him. I had a basic theme going and that was trying to draw him
using “arcs” that flow around the 2 main circles. I would like to see more
of that feel in the model.

Well that’s it for today , I have a few more but , they are all minor nit picking type of stuff,
I’ll save those for the next time I feel like to pick on someone :twisted: :p

In the images below,
I drew red lines to show parts that can be adjusted and may need a bit more work.
The green likes show lines that I like the flow.
The blue line shows the same as the red but just to show a extreme direction change.
I broke up the curves in places, just so you can see the arcs more clearly.
but they are meant to be modeled as one flowing shape…

Oh one last thing, can you render your wips on a different colour back drop,
because he is gray he is a bit hard to see on a grey back drop.
The contrast helps to see form and silhouette.

Keep in mind this is all just my artistic opinion . Added to the fact that most of the time
I have no idea what the hell I’m talking about :curious: :shrug: :p

http://www.boy1da.com/CGTALK/Stumpy_persp.jpg

http://www.boy1da.com/CGTALK/Stumpy_side.jpg

TheFreak
07-21-2005, 11:10 AM
As usual you have great crits :)

I will try and make all the changes to your specifications.

The shots are just basic screen grabs from modeller so I will render them out next time with some basic lights. It might help highlight other issues too.

I'll post my progress tonight

Cheers

Mr.No
07-21-2005, 05:16 PM
Hey guys I was thinking (I do think.....sometimes :) ) maybe we can put the caveman and the robot in the same animation. The caveman can find rusty old robot (must be cute) and start to wonder what it is.Then the caveman will activate the robot(by acident) and they both stare strange at eachother.The caveman is scared because the robot tries to serve the caveman like his master allways goes after him and tries to clean him...could be funny.

The idea needs some work but I think it can be good.
We need just a small location by the cave (or in the cave,and we can do some fire-if we can,the lighting would be fenomenal).

O I just got the idea:the previous master of the robot was a female,so the robot is trying to make him look good as a woman, so from the hands of the robot diferent things emerge(comb,towel,razor,toothpaste and so on).

If you like the idea we can make it work. :bounce: juuuuuuhhhuuuuuuuu

TheFreak
07-21-2005, 11:47 PM
Hi Guys,

Here is another update. This will be the last before the weekend as I will be away all weekend.

I tried to fix all the crits BOY1DA mentioned and I added some details (nipple and belly button) I also changed the style of the eyes. I think this give him a little more character and it will help when we come to animate i am sure.

As usual C&C is welcome, I hope you don't mind the big pics but they give the most detail.

Cheers

http://www.mad-theory.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/back%7E1.jpg

http://www.mad-theory.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/front%7E0.jpg

http://www.mad-theory.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/persp%7E0.jpg

http://www.mad-theory.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/side%7E0.jpg

fabianv
07-22-2005, 12:03 AM
Very good cave man. I love the comical proportions! :buttrock:

jesuislinus
07-22-2005, 11:44 AM
hey freak!

is it nurb modeling?
could you post the low-poly version?
i think it's allways interesting to see
the technique of others.

nice work by the way:applause:

TheFreak
07-25-2005, 11:24 AM
Hey Guys,

Just back from my weekend away, I thought there might have been more crits? So either I am doing something right? or everyone is busy busy busy :D

I'll try and post the low poly version tonight if you really want to see it, but it's not plesant viewing. I tend to make a basic mesh in low poly and then do the rest in Sub-D mode and this can make a mess out of the low poly mesh in some areas.

Anyway, has anyone put any more thought into the critter? I'll maybe have another go at a script and see if we can get something final to begin storyboarding with. What about scenery ideas?

I think we can still produce some work for this short without any scripts or storyboards so lets keep going folks. We have a basic outline of what is needed for the movie so let work with that while the story is being developed. What do you think?

Cheers

Pjanssen
07-25-2005, 12:24 PM
We have a basic outline of what is needed for the movie so let work with that while the story is being developed. What do you think?

Maybe a stupid question, but is the story/script actually being developed?

TheFreak
07-25-2005, 02:07 PM
No, not that I am aware of.

But my point is, we should keep going with the modelling etc while someone works on the script ideas and plot line.

I will try and produce another story and if it is agreed upon then Chris can finalize it and the 2D guys and get a storyboard put together etc.

Things seemed to have slowed down quite bit and I have no idea where Chris is these days either so I am just trying to keep things on the the move.

So if anyone has anything they would like to contribute then go for it. We may use it we may not but it's all part of the fun.

Cheers

ChrisBG
07-26-2005, 05:15 AM
Yeah I'm still here! sorry guys I was out quite a bit last week. Anyway looking great TheFreak, and thanks for all your feedback BOY1DA. About the critter - yeah, we defenately need to decide what sort of creature we want it to be. Something cute, but evil at the same time. Do we want it to be a creature that did exist? or not?

-Chris

BOY1DA
07-26-2005, 05:50 PM
I just had the biggest battle with 3dsmax trying to rig a character.
After hours of fighting I came out victorious !.:buttrock:
Scarred but with a lot of new skills that I can add to my arsenal
of new weapons. I luv it when a plan comes together.
When in doubt just push random buttons.;)

Anyway that's another story....
I would really like to say that a 3 year old child drew the following pix.
But sad to say I drew them.:surprised I've been extra busy so I had to really rush the images.:argh:

:lightbulb TheFreak, here are my ideas for the hair modeling.

:lightbulb And a idea I have for the set, 1 location like Kirt said.
Maybe one of the real concept artist here can draw my idea over
better looking with more detail with better scale.:arteest:

Well I'm out for now.:cool:

http://www.boy1da.com/CGTALK/hair_concept.jpg

http://www.boy1da.com/CGTALK/Set_concept.jpg

TheFreak
07-26-2005, 06:57 PM
Hey BOY1DA

Glad to see you beat the rigging beast, it sounds like it was a nightmare!!

Anyway, i like the ideas. I had a similar idea for the single strand placement, but mine might be a little more solid looking. I also had an idea for the main head of hair but i need to try it to see if it works.

I'll let you know how it goes as always :)

Cheers

TheFreak
07-27-2005, 12:15 AM
Hi Guys,

OK I had a little play about with the hair idea i had in mind. This is just an idea but I think it turned out not too bad. If i don't use it here I will probaly use it in another character at some point.

The eyebrow was kinda slapped on there at the end :P

No idea how this would animate, but I am thinking a fuzzy dreadlock texture for the strands.

I will give BOY1DA's hair idea a go too and see how it turns out.

http://www.mad-theory.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/head1.jpg

http://www.mad-theory.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/head2.jpg

http://www.mad-theory.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/head3.jpg

C&C Always Welcome.

Cheers

BOY1DA
07-27-2005, 10:51 AM
I like it, no need to give my idea a try. Leave it as it is.
My only crit is the 2 strands that meet in the middle. look too symmetrical.
maybe put one strand behind the other. Oh one more crit
for the hair even though I like the style of the sideburns maybe make the strands a bit thinner.
They look too much like balls from the side. But no big deal.

The eye brows look good to me as well.
My only wish is that it could have animatable hair.
Maybe we can rig a few of the top strands?

The eyes look okay too, my crit on that would be to give him more skin
on his eye lids so it can be easy to pull them down without too much stretching
unless they do have more skin and I just can't see it.

Maybe the tip of the nose can be a bit more tapered it looks okay from
the side from the front it looks a bit flat. Even tough I know that is the style you are going for.

So what you gonna do next ?

TheFreak
07-27-2005, 11:23 AM
Hey there buddy, didn't see you on MSN last night so i didn't know if i would get any feedback from until tonight :)

I agree with all your crits :)

I only did some tweaking on the symmetry of the hair so i will need to do some more anyway so i will fix those hairs you mentioned. The sideburns were a little bit experimental, so i wasn't sure on the style myself. I think I will go for more of them at a thinner length.

As for animation I would love to see the hair flowing a bit. I don't know if it would be good to move too much but like you say perhaps we could add some rigging or dynamics to a few strands to give it some life.

As for the eyes, He does have enough to create blinking morphs (i did a little test on this earlier). I can always add a little more geometry later if i need to.

As for the nose, I have been meaning to fix that for ages now. I keep forgetting to do it. There are a few things i want to tweak around there so I will fix that tonight hopefully.

** edit **

Thought i would up date this post with a to do list, and just check things off as i do them. Let me know if i missed anything.

To-Do List:

1. Fix Nose
2. Add Mouth
3. Add more hair
4. Add Clothes
5. Make a test rig and poses
6. Texture the beast.

TheFreak
07-28-2005, 01:58 AM
OK Another update,

He now has a mouth and a tweaked nose :)

*edit
Oh yea i closed the eyes a little just to show that they work with the morphs. Not sure how this will be done in the final animation.

http://www.mad-theory.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/teeth1.jpg

http://www.mad-theory.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/teeth2.jpg

softdistortion
07-28-2005, 02:09 AM
Looking good guys ;)

BOY1DA
07-28-2005, 02:15 PM
"Mr.The Freak", :wavey:
I have to call you "Mr." out of respect for your work so far :cool:
Looking better and better all the time. No crits today.:thumbsup:

I would like to help you out with learning the texturing part.
But seeing that I'm a max user and you use lightwave,
I think your answer may be in the post right above mine...

"Softdistortion" is a lightwave user I think.
I know that they are big lightwave fanatics over at his project.

Maybe you can offer some modeling services or texturing help
in exchange for uv and texturing tips.. just an idea.:lightbulb
Unless "shirow project" tips are top secret.
But they seem to be kool guys over there.
Softdistortion may want you to name your first child after him
but, that's a small price to pay for some knowledge :p

nomadicrain
07-28-2005, 02:26 PM
I think this model is looking great. I like the new sideburns better. Looking great man.
:thumbsup:

softdistortion
07-28-2005, 03:15 PM
..I would like to help you out with learning the texturing part.
But seeing that I'm a max user and you use lightwave...
Hey Boy1da :) Thanks for the kind words, would be happy to help on LW if needed. I do think the basics of UV work are pretty well the same across apps. Like hair for instance. your example is the same way I would do it in LW if I wanted that type of hair...infact anything is easier to UV if it is flat like you suggest to start out the hair flat and then form it to the head. Since this guy already has hair formed it will be a bit more work to UV, or you guys could just use procedurals? ;)

TheFreak
07-31-2005, 10:42 PM
Hey Folks,

Just back from a weekend away there so just catching up.

Mr Freak indeed!! This nothing compared to the work you have pumped into your project Mr BOY1DA :) But thanks for the compliments.

As for the texture help, softdistortion you would probably be a great help. I will give it a stab on my own, but i might need to contact you from time to time. I would be happy to help in your project in exchange for this but i don't know exactly what too offer :P

As for your help BOY1DA, I still think you can help me with actual texture designs etc. Once the model is unwrapped it doesn;t really matter what 3D package we use because it's all down to programs like photoshop etc. to get the final product looking right.

Anyway I still need to do some more modelling so we won't worry too much about that yet.

Well i'll chat to you all later and hopefully we get some more work from other folk making an apperance here this week!! :D

softdistortion
08-02-2005, 07:23 PM
...As for the texture help, softdistortion you would probably be a great help. I will give it a stab on my own, but i might need to contact you from time to time. I would be happy to help in your project in exchange for this but i don't know exactly what too offer :P

:)...I'm available if you need it, but I am pretty sure you guys will be fine without an extra guy kickin around. :thumbsup:

Pjanssen
08-02-2005, 09:05 PM
Chris, could you maybe give us an update on the status of the project?
I'd like to know some things like how the team looks like at the moment and how far the development of the script is.

Thanks. :)

ChrisBG
08-03-2005, 05:46 AM
Sorry guys, I've been a busy beaver lately. I'm still keen to hear some ideas and such from you guys before I put everything together into script format. If everyone listed one or two funny things that the caveman could do to catch this critter then it would be great. ALso some more opinions on what sort of critter we want would be nice. It has to be something cute but also annoying enough for the caveman to want to chase after it.

TheFreak - is it possible to detail that hair a bit more?

-Chris

kperison
08-03-2005, 07:09 AM
it would be funny if all he was trying to catch was a stinkin rat....

TheFreak
08-03-2005, 11:12 AM
What sort of detail are you thinking about?

Making more hair? Adding Thinner strands? etc etc.
If you can throw together a quick sketch of what you are thinking of I will give it a go :)

Sorry for the lack of updates the past few days, i have had a hectic social life this week. I am working on his clothes and perhaps a little texturing. I also want to give him a basic rig and try a few poses. I'll post some stuff before the weekend.

Cheers

TheFreak
08-05-2005, 12:46 AM
Hey guys,

Finally got to play about with this guy tonight. This will probably be me for the weekend. So no more until next week.

Created some clothes for him and tried a little texture for them. Needs tweaked but it's late and i need to sleep :)

Oh Yea i messed about with a hair idea for the arms and feet (and chest maybe) it's quite high poly though so i don't know if it will work. My PC is chugging because of it. But then again I dropped from 2Gb to 512Mb because of faulty RAM. Need to get that sorted too :P

C&C is welcome from everyone...

http://www.mad-theory.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/cave5.jpg

http://www.mad-theory.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/cave4.jpg

kperison
08-05-2005, 07:25 AM
Personally, I'd say loose the 'modeled' on hair. Looks cheesy to me...

If you were to go with hair on the arms and legs, maybe go with a texture?

Modeling looks great though! You're doing a superb job!

TheFreak
08-05-2005, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the comments

By loosing the moddeled hair i assume you mean the hair on the arms and legs. If so then i agree with you. This was just an idea ratteling around in my head so i though i would put it to the masses to see.

I would have used a hair plugin for the hair but i don't what the final app will be for animation so i am trying to say away from anything that is specific to my applicaton. i.e. hair plugins

i'll try texturing it and see how it turns out. Any ideas or examples would be great.

Cheers

kperison
08-05-2005, 07:45 PM
Something by the lines of this.

ChrisBG
08-07-2005, 01:17 AM
Great work. kperison (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=64826) - the hair on the arms looks better there, can we try that TheFreak? About the hair - I think it would be nice to try and make it a little more realistic. I'm no modeler or hair expert, so it might be good to hear BOY1DA's opinion here.

-Chris

TheFreak
08-07-2005, 05:27 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the sketch kperison I am gonna try a few things on the arms and see how it turns out.

As for the hair, to be honest i quite like it as it is. The only other option is the one BOY1DA suggested a couple of pages ago and i think we both agreed the one we have worked for the toon look. I am going for a dreadlock feel to the hair and i don't know if that would be possible with alpha maps and poly plains etc. It will hopefully look better when it's textured.

softdistortion
08-09-2005, 01:07 AM
I like the hair as is too... :thumbsup:

ChrisBG
08-17-2005, 06:43 AM
Ok, yeah, with some texturing it should look nice. Does anyone want to try playing around with some textures? How's the model going TheFreak? I still haven't had many new opinions on what the critter should be, anyone have anything to add?

-Chris

TheFreak
08-17-2005, 10:29 AM
The model is going fine, I am learning some texturing at the moment and then I will texture him. I also need to rig him to test out the mesh.

As for the critter, i think it should be small and definitly lizard like (this reduces the need for hair plugins etc.) Anything at all to be honest, but something that looks either annoying or really cute :P

We are still in need of a final script and storyboard to plan the shots and we also need an environment for this to happen in. If any of the concept artists want to put something down for this then that would be great. BOY1DA put together a little concept earlier in this thread so it might help you with the ganeral idea.

Also if anyone has just found this thread, please feel free to join in. There is lots of work to do and we can use all the help we can.

Also if you are an animator, sound designer etc. please feel free to put your name down. We might not need you just yet (early stages) but we will definitly need you as the project progresses.

Cheers

teabgs
08-25-2005, 09:35 PM
I *might* be interested in animating. Here's the thing... as you all know people only have so much time. I was going to read this entire thread to see what the movie is going to be about, but I really have other stuff that I should do instead. BUT, what I did read (1st 1 1/4 pages ) sounded promising.

Could you put an update in the first post with a tagline, short description of the project? That would be absolutely awesome. Also, when would animation be starting? Because I'd like to start doing some stuff now while I'm inbetween jobs.

you can see my experience here and also check out some of my work: http://www.mindoverpixels.com/resume.html

TheFreak
08-28-2005, 07:28 PM
Hi teabgs

Just popping in to say hello, I am currently away from my home PC and work is going a slow at the moment. I can't edit the first post but i will give you a brief run down of the loose story.

The general theme of this project is to have fun with a little project. We are trying to make a short of maybe 1 - 2 minutes. The current theme is a prehistoric roadrunner type thing. Caveman vs Critter with lots of slapstick. So far I have been working on the caveman model. but to be honest we are short of a script and storyboarding so i'm afraid animation is a long way off. I don't want to make promises i can't keep in that field but I do hope we can make this project work eventually. So if you keep popping back now and again i am sure there will be work for you eventually.

Thanks for the offer of help and hpefully we can use it when animation begins. If you think you can offer any other services you are more than welcome.

We could use:
Script Writer
Storyboard Artist
Concept Artists
Modellers

We need to work on those before we begin animation etc. This is just my personal opinion so perhaps Chris might want to add to this.

Cheers

fabianv
08-28-2005, 09:21 PM
Hey guys... sorry for being silent :)

If you got assignments for me to do, email me or reply to this...

About the caveman: Dont like the anatomy, texturing, overall look.. sorry :(

dbates
08-29-2005, 12:06 AM
Hey guys! I just skimmed through the thread (whew) and decided to see if I could help out. I do some scriptwriting off and on, so maybe I could help out with the script? I can email Chris samples of my work if he wants (I've done a comedy script, a Star Wars fan fiction story, a script adaptation of the same, some plot development for three disjointed movie ideas that I'll never have the money to finish, etc.) Also, while my posts may not reflect the fact, I know English grammar fairly well (in case that helps any).

Can you guys use me at all?

--dbates

Loki89
08-29-2005, 02:34 AM
Hey, I haven't really been here for long but I'm interested in doing some modeling, so if you have a list of things you want me to do I can start, and I'll post some pics so if you don't like them you can just tell me to get lostxD:rolleyes:

TheFreak
08-29-2005, 03:02 PM
Hey there,

Nice to see a few more posts:

fabianv: Well as you don't like the caveman, perhaps you might want to give him a go :) or failing that we still need the scene concept.

dbates: You are just the person we need right now. I put together a small script idea a while ago (you might have read it) the loose plot is Caveman Vs Critter with slapstick. Feel free to go mad with that. It isn't going to be a long film by any means so a couple of pages will probably do i think. Looking forward to whatever you have to offer.

Loki89: Good man, the more the merrier. We are in desperate need of concepts to work from as well so if you want to have a go at anything there, you can. Also post some of your work. We might be able to use some of it out-of-the-box so to speak :). We need a critter (and maybe a caveman if fabianv puts some funky concepts out there.

Well for the moment i will stick with the caveman i have. He still need texturing and rigging so there is a lot of work left. Post some concepts for your version of the caveman fabianv and we can decide what to do from there.

Cheers

dbates
08-29-2005, 04:17 PM
I might be more than a few days working on the script--hopefully not more than a week or two. I'm just starting my fall semester in college (today in fact), so spare time is a precious commodity. Thanks for letting me help out though!

-dbates

dbates
08-31-2005, 03:44 AM
Here's my first script draft:

Open with a cartoon-style sunrise over mountains and forest. Beams of light shoot out from gaps in the clouds, and one such beam shines directly into the Caveman’s cave.

CAVE INTERIOR: The Caveman wakes up. His stomach rumbles loudly as he rummages around the cave. He does not find any food, so he grabs his club and saunters to the cave’s mouth. Looking out at his “patio” of rock and dirt, he sees a small creature munching on a branch, its back turned to him. The Caveman gives a toothy grin and starts tip-toeing towards the creature.

CAVE EXTERIOR: The Caveman is tip-toeing carefully towards the unsuspecting creature, when all of a sudden he lets out a fart. The sound startles the creature; the Caveman swings his club, but the alerted creature dodges out of the way. It turns towards the Caveman and starts irately chittering at him. The Caveman, undaunted, swings again, with the same result. When the Caveman swings his club a third time, the creature jumps on top of it and starts eating madly away. Wood chips fly everywhere as the club is demolished within a few seconds. The creature looks up at the dumbfounded Caveman with a satisfied smirk on its face and belches.

The Caveman is thoroughly irate. He starts waving his arms and stomping his feet while roaring at the creature. The creature performs a mocking imitation of the Caveman’s “dance”, warbling in a taunting squeak. The Caveman grows more and more furious and finally charges the creature, ready to smash it with his bare hands. The creature dodges his hands and runs between the Caveman’s feet—straight back into the cave.

The Caveman teeters on the edge of the cliff, barely stopping in time. He recovers his balance and dashes back to his cave, grunting with exertion. Unfortunately, he forgets to duck as he enters the cave, and bashes his forehead on the rock. Dazed, he staggers to the side, holding his head and whimpering like a baby.

The creature takes this opportunity to race out of the cave. It goes back to the branch that it was originally munching on and proceeds to finish it off. Meanwhile, the Caveman (feeling better by this time—cavemen have thick skulls) peers inside the cave. When he does not see the creature, he turns around and spots the creature finishing up the branch. He staggers towards it, but the creature skips aside and the Caveman falls over the cliff’s edge.

END

dbates
08-31-2005, 03:59 AM
I thought it might add to the humor if we put a tic-tac-toe grid, half completed, in the area between the cliff and the cave. The Caveman would have scratched it in the dirt with the narrow end of his club.

I was visualizing a over the shoulder shot when the Caveman tiptoes out of the cave. It would have the creature in the foreground, out of focus, and the Caveman approaching with club held ready. When the Caveman farts, the view would cut to a side shot covering both characters.

Another creature character idea--maybe we could make it a prehistoric woodpecker (to help explain the club-eating behavior).

Lastly, to TheFreak: Yes, I plagarized your story mercilessly. What can I say? I liked it!

-dbates

BOY1DA
08-31-2005, 06:25 AM
Hey guys here is a FREE MODEL (http://67.15.36.49//ffa/meshes_v2/tex_rig_chara/dries_reynders01/model_main.htm) from "3D TOTAL.COM (http://www.3dtotal.com/)"

It might be a very good model for the "CRITTER" ? It is also rigged in lightwave .
And textured as well.

ChrisBG
08-31-2005, 06:59 AM
Alright guys, I'm back. I've been busy with exams and stuff. Fortunately that's over shortly. Anyway - welcome aboard dbates. Yeah that's a cool story, I think we can go with it. We may need/want to make slight alterations etc, and put it in screenplay format but great job. Next step is drafting scenes, characters, working on a shot plan and storyboarding.

I think a woodpecker would be really funny, let's try that. Would anyone like to sketch up a funny looking woodpecker?

teabgs - I will update the front page ASAP with info, crew info, pics, etc. Thanks for your interest.

Loki89 - Do you have any samples?

-Chris

TheFreak
08-31-2005, 11:08 AM
Hey Guys,

dbates: I love the story (no problem about the plagarizing, you fixed it up more than plagerized it :)) The only thing i'm not sure about is the ending. Maybe i just can't visualise it properly. Once we get storyboards etc together it might come across better. The rest of the story i love. Glad you kept in the fart gags...nothing like a good bit of toilet humor :) I think this is a great version of the story and it all seems quite viable from a small movie stand point. Great stuff dbates :)

BOY1DA: I love him, he is so cool :) He gets my vote for the critter. It will speed things up for modelling etc and he looks annoying enough for the storyline. Nice Find. Lets see what other people think.

ChrisBG: Glad to see you are finsihing up your exams. They can be a pain in the ass. I hope this all kicks off again, it will be great to have a finished animation.

Cheers for now

dbates
09-12-2005, 03:58 AM
How's the project coming, guys? I'm no good at storyboarding or I'd be working on that. . .

Do I need to revise my script, or is it okay?

omega3d
09-12-2005, 06:11 AM
I would like to get in on this... I am a rigger/animator. Jonathan Reyes (Junior in high school - just thought I would get that out of the way, so you can yell at me :))

Keep me posted on any new projects. I love this stuff..

TheFreak
09-12-2005, 12:16 PM
Hey Guys,

Sorry for the lack of posts on here but I have not had a chance recently. Swamped with other work.

I will try and get back to this soon.

Just thought I would let you all know :)

Cheers

BOY1DA
09-16-2005, 01:12 PM
Hello all I’ve been very busy lately with my project.
However I’ve been keeping an eye on this one.

It seems we need to keep things moving along .
Here are my ideas hope this helps to move things on.

Based on what we have so far….

“Stumpy” the cave man is pretty much done in my eyes.
As far as his body I think it is good to go.
However I think his clothes needs some work to really sell the concept.
As it is right now, the outfit needs to stay closer to the concept art.
What I mean is that , it looks too segmented as it is, and makes his body look
too geometric and looks like he is wearing a lamp shade.
It should be as a one piece thing that flows over his form.
I also think he does not really need the bone/tooth button as much as I like the idea
and how it came out, but that’s just my taste, don't quote me on the button thing
because I may say keep it on it looks good later on:shrug: ,
What I’m trying to do is soften up the look of the model over all.
The arm hairs I don’t think we need them at all.
They will look great texture mapped. I’m even willing to whip out my hair plug-in
and do it if need be. As well I think that we should tone down the color to a
solid brown for now and maybe later we can try to put hair on it, if not
then we can just use hair painted on and that will look great as well !
the reason I say tone down the color is because we are not sure of the over color scheme of the movie yet so keeping it simple will avoid it looking too messy when we start putting
more and more stuff in the scene.
So here is the game plan, I hope I can get all your support to see this stage trough.

The Freak: I think you should export the naked version of “STUMPY”
to an “.obj” file ... so you can send him to be rigged. while he is being rigged
you can work on updating his outfit if you are too busy , I will volunteer to do his outfit
for you. It should not be too hard to make the changes …

I see that we have a new “rigger/animator”
Hello “omega3d” your work looks really good.
Maybe you can take the cave man model and rig him.
I am also a MAX user and I should be able to help you out if you need any help.
I’m in charge of putting all the pieces together so that they can be ready to be rendered.
I hope you are still interested , because it looks like it would be real fun to work with you
as well learn more about rigging as we go along.

Well that’s my game plan for now, lets bring Stumpy to life !

If anybody else wants to jump in just say, and I’m sure we can find something for you to
do, we still have lots to do.

THANKS AND PEACE!

TheFreak
09-16-2005, 04:08 PM
Hey BOY1DA,

That is a good update :)

I agree with you on the clothes, wasn't too sure what way to go with them when I made them and I have not touched them since. I will export the naked version of "Stumpy" and then he can be rigged.
I will have another go at the clothes but if you have an idea in your head, feel free to go ahead and try it out. You know what you want from the model and I am sure you would like to give it a go.

I agree with the hair and the texture for it. The last image I posed was some time ago and I didn't like the hair then and I don't like it now. It has been removed on the model but I have not updated the pictures :)

Can you guys PM me your email addresses and i'll post the model off to you for rigging.

Looking forward to seeing him in action

Cheers

BOY1DA
09-16-2005, 06:16 PM
I will send you my e-mail right now.
Make sure no mesh smoothing is on the model.

I'm just waiting for omega3d to reply , I sent him a PM as well.
Even though I have the skill to rig it myself it would be much better to
have someone dedicated to rigging him, instead of my quick a dirty ways.
I'm not the cleanest when it comes to rigging as well as my time factor and work load.

Talk to you guys sooner or later

omega3d
09-17-2005, 01:54 AM
I wasn't sure if you received my PM, but yeah, I would like to work on this film. I was wondering what type of movements this character would need to be able to do. Do you guys/gals have a story board? i will now go searching for a story board in this long thread. :) Keep me posted. Thanks,

Jon

omega3d
09-17-2005, 03:39 AM
I am sorry, I didn't see the story, ugh :)... Sounds like a good start. Is this planning to be cartoony (with extreme stretches in character mesh) or realistic movement?

omega3d
09-17-2005, 04:01 AM
So this is the situation for me. If I get the rig this is basically what I plan to do.

(You can see the drawing in the attachments)

Body rig:
Independent eyeline & multibone spine
Independent hip movment vs upper body movement
Twist bones (for mesh control)
Stretch bones (for pex and such)

Facial rig:
Morpher targets (unless you want control objects)
independent jaw and mouth movment
Will probably end up adding some extreme mouth movement for burp.

Foot & Hand rigs:
These will have a control object for each and will contain sliders for finger/toe movement... (will you need one toe moving or all of them? this will make it a lot easier for me if you don't need individual movement :))
For the foot, I am going to do an inverse foot rig with an IK solver for the knee

What do you think? Input please.
Jonathan

BOY1DA
09-17-2005, 09:03 AM
Hi Jonathan.

For the face I think morph targets should be fine.
I’m not sure what to do about the hair yet….

I don’t think we will need toe bones, maybe just one big one for all the toes but I could be wrong.

Other then that it’s pretty much up to your judgment and what you think is best.

Will you be doing any animation in the final movie?

I don’t think we have any animators yet?

We may have to find one or more if we can but is seems to be hard
to find too many max animators .We may have to tag team up for animating
as we go along.

Have you received the model from the freak yet ?

omega3d
09-17-2005, 03:36 PM
I wouldn't mind animating. I can use this in a portfolio (of course giving credit to those who helped)?

I havn't received the model yet.

Jonathan

omega3d
09-20-2005, 04:02 AM
Hey,

Just posting back to see if anyone is still there :). I was wondering how the model was coming before I can rig that puppy... TTYL.

Jon

ChrisBG
09-20-2005, 05:15 AM
Sorry guys!! I've been incredibly busy recently...so many things to get done and not enough hours in the day. Anyway, I am in japan for 2 weeks starting in a week. When I get back I will post a treatment/script file and info for the storyboarder.

Jonathan Reyes and Omega3d, welcome aboard, it's great to have you on board with us. From now on I will be fully active, other than when in japan. Sorry about this. I have been offered the job of music on a few games recently, and I have been tied up with that and insane amounts of schoolwork.

It'd be great to see some progress on the caveman when I get back, and if anyone else wants to join please email TheFreak or BOY1DA (or just post here). I will see if I can get a storyboarder, and talk over the shots I have planned with him/her.

-Chris

omega3d
09-20-2005, 05:31 AM
Thanks for the soft welcome! :)

Planning on working hard. :)

Jon

omega3d
09-21-2005, 10:10 PM
Whats up! I just got the rig today. I opened it up just fine. I was wondering what you were requesting about the detached head and the morpher targets. Could you go in depth a little for me?

This is a post from about an hour of work. I have the spline IK as well as the inverse foot rig, and the arm configuration figured out. I just need to add the fingers, custom attributes, facial morph targets, and such.

I am going to have a jaw control instead of a morpher target, probably 3 morpher modifiers, one for top of head and one for nose area & upper mouth, and one for the bottom of the mouth... Not sure yet. I am thinking of just inserting bones where it would be most convienient. Anyway... Let me know what you think.

Jonathan

PS. I can't work on it any more today, because my computer crashed (@ home) so I will have to result to my school computer for a couple of days. Peace out!

BOY1DA
09-21-2005, 11:12 PM
Well what I was saying about detaching the head is so that
If we need someone else to help out and create morph targets
You can send a copy of the head to another person while you do the rigging.
You then can add a edit mesh or a edit poly or a weld modifier to weld the head back on
before you skin the model. This method is also used so that you won’t have to create
morphs for the entire body if you just want the eyes to blink or something like that.

I don’t know if you get what I am saying ?

omega3d
09-21-2005, 11:23 PM
I totaly get the concept. I just don't know how one will be able to access the morpher modifier once it has been attached to the model.

BOY1DA
09-22-2005, 01:15 AM
Yea,
I have never had to do that for any of my models , because all of the models
I ever made have clothes so that the head can be a separate object .
But because Stumpy has no shirt to hide the neck seam you may have to do the above idea.

It works great, all you have to do is separate the head,
Make a copy for morph targets , the key is that you put all the modifiers on the head.
So that means you first put on the morpher on the main head then you put
The edit poly or mesh modifier on the main head above the morpher.
Then you weld the body to the head(not the head to the body), the head will keep all the modifiers in
the stack, you can just go down the stack to add targets and last you put skin on top of it all.

Well that’s the way it worked when I tried it… let me know if that is a dumb idea ?
I never done it before so I just did a quick test and it worked fine.

omega3d
09-22-2005, 04:17 AM
Oh my goodness... lol. I didn't even think of attaching it to the head. I was stuck on getting the head back on the body... Brain freeze.

Lol. Thanks.

Jon

TheFreak
09-22-2005, 07:25 PM
Hey Guys,

This has been a right little post fest hasn't it. Sorry I have not be around much lately I have been doing other work and also a bit stressed out in my normal job and I had kinda stopped 3D for a while as a result.

I hope to get back to this soon and get some more things made.

I know nothing about rigs omega but it looks good to me, it's kinda cool to see him beginning to take shape, can't wait to see him move :)

OK I will try and get some stuff again in the next week or two.

This is all looking great guys, congrats on all the great work.

Talk again soon

omega3d
09-22-2005, 10:56 PM
Hey whats up!

Just another update... I have some custom attributes on the hands with presets and sliders. Here is an image. I also comepleted the foot with custom attribs with sliders.

The spline IK will have to be tested with the skinned rig, cannot know if it works well or not yet.

I have upnodes for the spine so that if you get in a weird position, and the bone flips, you can just move that little point so it is in the right direction.

Morph targets are now last on my prio list. :)

Jonathan

omega3d
09-22-2005, 11:09 PM
Did you want me to animate in this film? I am looking forward to animating... Be fun. Just for an update, who is on the team?

dbates
09-23-2005, 03:44 AM
I'm the scriptwriter, so you can yell at me for the bad story. . . I won't be doing anything else though due to lack of software (Maya PLE) and/or lack of ability (observe my WIP thread in Game Modelling for evidence of that.). Anyways, that's what I do here.

omega3d
09-23-2005, 04:32 AM
Very cool... Do you have the script in a file right now? I saw some of it in previous posts. I was wondering if I could get a copy of that for action references.

Nice meeting you,
Jonathan

ChrisBG
09-23-2005, 06:32 AM
Very cool... Do you have the script in a file right now? I saw some of it in previous posts. I was wondering if I could get a copy of that for action references.

Nice meeting you,
Jonathan

Well, it could be good for everyone who's active to make a post now and introduce themselves breifly, I'll put the new info on the front page etc. before I go to japan. Just so everyone knows I am the team leader/director and composer for the project, so please feel free to email me any questions and such. I will be inactive for 2 weeks while in japan though (starting in 4 days).

About animating, yes, you are most welcome to do some animating, we could use all the help in that department possible.

dbates (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=187477) - It's good to have you on board and thanks for your work so far.

We are currently in need of a good storyboarder, so please send an email to chrishurn@gmail.com if you are interested. I have left TheFreak and BOY1DA in charge while I'm in japan, please do not get the storyboards started until the 10th of October, because as director I'd like to talk over some shots with him/her. Concept art is okay though.

Keep up the great work everyone,

-Chris

omega3d
09-23-2005, 01:46 PM
Well, I guess I should start off with myself.

My name is Jonathan Reyes, and I am from Reno, Nevada. I am a 17 year old student attending a 3D design class and have fallen in love with every aspect of this field. :) I am the current TD in this project. That is about it. lol. Besides my freetime... I movie it. (I am trying to turn "movie" into a verb)

Peace out.
Jonathan

BOY1DA
09-23-2005, 02:40 PM
Well from what I’ve seen in this project, it is more of a free for all then a set team.
People come and go as they want and do what ever they want.

I’ve been following this pretty much from the start and I’m still here.
I guess the same goes for the freak.

I’m also doing some of the “TD” type stuff as well as some art direction type stuff…
And at night I’m a porno star LOL:scream: , well maybe only when I’m dreaming :D

SEE YA !

TheFreak
09-23-2005, 04:21 PM
Hello there,

During the day I work in a secret government project called project "tea boy". This project requires me to supply hot beverages to lots of important people and try and gather information. This is top class intelligence but covers things like "the number of sugars in a tea" and what type of biscuit goes best with said cuppa.

At night I moonlight as a lap dancer in my local pub. They don't officially have a lap dancer but I just wander around and gyrate myself on anyone I see. It usually ends up in me being escorted off the premises. I guess it's because I am so sexy and I am putting off the bar staff.

I also have a job doing web design and some other crap but the spy and lap dancers are my REAL jobs.

I guess I am the resident looser type nobody in here who feels the need to post crap to justify his existence.

Looking forward to working with you :)

I have left TheFreak and BOY1DA in charge while I'm in japan
Oh dear sweet lord in heaven, what have you just done!!!

*edit

P.S. I suppose officially I should say I am one of the modellers on this project. So far I have done Stumpy wearing a lamp shade (good style!!)

P.P.S. I think you messaged me last night BOY1DA on MSN. I think I said hello but not much else. Sorry about that, g/f arrived at the same time. I am not normally that ignorant, it usually takes 10 or 15 minutes before that happens :) (although it might not have been you :P)

P.P.P.S. If I had a fully blown conversation with you then I am going senile and I won't even remember typing this post........where do I live again?!

omega3d
09-26-2005, 10:01 PM
Here is my update, I am getting TO'ed at this twist bone stuff... One side works, the other doesn't... I mirrored the sides, and they should be skinnable with symmetry. I am going to do some more work on it tomorrow.

Do we have a world yet?

Jonathan

BOY1DA
09-28-2005, 11:31 PM
Well I don't make my rigs from scratch so I can't really give you any tips as far as that goes.
I use character studio and then add any extra bones I need. I also started to use scripts for rigging that I find online to help me with that too.

Nope we don't have a world yet, at least we have a crap concept that I did.

omega3d
09-29-2005, 12:11 AM
I figured out the mirror, a pain, but its a mirror :)... I screwed up the finger wiring, so i will have to redo that, but other than that, all I have to do is skin...

TheFreak
09-29-2005, 09:57 AM
Nope we don't have a world yet, at least we have a crap concept that I did.

As this is our only world concept it is FANTASTIC. The best we have in fact :)

I think the word you were grasping for was stylized

omega3d
10-06-2005, 09:10 PM
I apologise about the bewilderness on my behalf... I have been hit with multiple projects in school and they were of top priority... However, I did find time here and there to work on the rig... I have an update here. It is basically the same rig with clavacle movement and stretch muscle bones... I am going to work hard on skinning it correctly... I am about half way done skinning it... How is the scenery going? Do we have a cliff?

-- Day 4 --

Peace out!
Jon

Pjanssen
10-06-2005, 09:17 PM
Looks good omega3d. I'd like to see some of this in action to see how the deformations on the skin are looking.
The fact that you're rigging the model, means that the model is final, right?

A while ago I offered some help for this project, doing some environment or something alike. At this moment I really don't have time to do more than just following the thread a bit, but I'd like to contribute to it later on.
But first I'd like to know more about the organisation on this project. That will be quite important to make this a succes.
-Who's actually leading this project?
-What's the exact goal? (short anim, how many minutes?)
-Who's doing (or going to do) what?
-Is there a planning or schedule?
-Is there a final plot, script, storyboard?

TheFreak
10-07-2005, 09:57 AM
Hey Guys,

Just letting you know I am still alive.

This week I had possibly the worst thing to happen anyone in this game. I lost my hard drive.

This hard drive had all my stuff on it, but luckily I had backed up most of it last month. I just hope I have all my work on that backup. I am trying to recover as much as I can but it's a long and very slow process.

Fingers crossed I get back all my stuff.

Glad I sent you guys stumpy anyway (just in case)

It will probably be a while before I am back on my feet but I will keep popping in. Looking good Omega, I want to see him move :P

omega3d
10-07-2005, 09:58 PM
HEy there... I am just wokring on the rig again.. still skinning, his entire back doesn't move.. lol.. getting there.. tedious task.. lol lol lol I am get tired of saying lol. anyway.. hope your stuff comes back... as for the questions noted above, our director is in japan... so when he gets back we will make them answer you .. lol (<-ugh). Anyway.. peace out I am losing work hours... hehe <ah ha, not lol.. peace out!
Jonathan

omega3d
10-13-2005, 02:06 PM
When is the director going to be back?

BOY1DA
10-18-2005, 01:58 PM
:wavey:

I guess no one answered your last question because nobody knows the answer !?!? :shrug:

So on that note, right now you are the “STAR” of the show all eyes are on you :cool:
Until you are ready to pass the “torch” to the next runner to keep this alive.
If anyone out there wants to model something feel free to jump in.
I’m still here I’m just very busy , but I will jump in as I am needed.

PEACE!

dbates
10-18-2005, 03:02 PM
Will you guys have any need for basic compositing? I have After Effects (I'm still learning compositing, and it would be great to have a project to work on).

BOY1DA
10-18-2005, 03:39 PM
Yea, as far as compositing goes.
We will need it… and it should be pretty simple to do.

The only problem is that the files used in compositing get very large.
Because you will have to deal with uncompressed image files.
And as far as I know, we have no way to send such large files back and forward.
So the person who will be doing the compositing should also be the person
doing the video editing and should also have a copy of 3ds max so they can render
the frames that they will need, the 3ds max files should be setup so all the compositor
has to do is push render and tell the program where to dump the images files.
well that’s my take on it anyway.

dbates
10-18-2005, 03:42 PM
Okay, just thought I'd ask. Yeah, a couple thousand frames of uncompressed TIFFs would probably crash my email server. . .

omega3d
10-18-2005, 11:29 PM
I apologise for the delay in my efforts... I have been hit with around 20 projects.. lol... some for school, some for work, and some for other stuff.. I have had to do some serious multitasking, and am sure to keep on doing it.. I have been finding little time to work on stumpy, but i will get him done.. unless someone wants to take over the skinning...

omega3d
10-18-2005, 11:31 PM
i was just kdding...

frinkky
10-30-2005, 03:35 AM
Well, hello all. The lip sync guy, who, unfortunately, doesn't use max. This could all get very tricky.

I'm currently learning blender, however, if i could keep using c4d i'd much prefer that :P

Still, i'll adapt as best as possible.

Anyway, good to meet y'all.

BOY1DA
10-30-2005, 03:58 AM
Yea that would be a bit tricky added to the fact that I don’t think there will be any talking in the short ?
But I could be wrong….:shrug:

frinkky
10-30-2005, 03:32 PM
Lol. My bad guys. Wrong thread.

BOY1DA
10-31-2005, 03:44 AM
LOL ! :scream:

Erikoinen
10-31-2005, 08:18 PM
Hi!

Because I don't want to read every post in this thread but I am interested of joining, I'd like to see a homepage or any website about this, which could include the plot, the models, the sketches, joining opportunities, etc. if they exist.

So, Chris, if you have the time and inspiration for it, please do one, or tell me where it is if it already exists.

Cheers!

omega3d
11-01-2005, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the lipsync scare.. :) I think that a website would be really cool... That would make it a lot easier to understand some things and send/receive files.

I am done with the rig, but the skinning is pretty much kicking my butt (just the shoulders). I cannot get the armpit to deform correctly. ugh... anyway. Do we have someone on the scene?

BOY1DA
11-01-2005, 11:30 PM
Erikoinen
I don’t know where Chris is, but no big deal, maybe you can jump in anyway.
It would be great to have you join us, the show must go on as I like to say
I really luv the 2d work you done in your sig. maybe you can help us to do a better version of
This environment concept !?!!? (http://www.boy1da.com/CGTALK/Set_concept.jpg)

omega3d
Yep the shoulder will get you every time, I had the same problem in my project.
I can’t really help there because I got so mad I just cheated it with sleeves.
But I guess that won’t work in this case.

No big deal if it is not perfect we may be able to cheat it with fancy cam shots.
But again that is just my take on it. Or what I would do in that kind of a fix.

omega3d
11-02-2005, 01:04 AM
I am going to keep pluggin away at these clavicals... Will get it eventually. lol. hopefully.

Erikoinen
11-02-2005, 11:33 AM
BOY1DA, I was hoping to do 3d-environments that would be used in the animation.. I'm bored to 2d for now, sorry. :hmm:

BOY1DA
11-02-2005, 12:26 PM
Well no one is doing 3d-environments , so you are more then welcome to try that if you feel :shrug:

Pjanssen
11-02-2005, 01:07 PM
Does anyone know anything about Chris?
I don't want to sound harsh, but without a director or any kind of organisation, continuing this project is totally useless.

TheFreak
11-02-2005, 01:57 PM
Hey Guys,

Just to let you know I am still alive here. I have not been doing much 3D or artwork in general for a while. I have been distracted by other things I am afraid.

Hopefully I will try and sit down and kick this off again and make this guy some nice clothes.

I might even have a go at a critter to get myself back into the swing of things.

Glad to see this is not dead I am looking forward to starting it again.

As far as websites are concerned I do, do this in my job and outside of work so I am sure I could put something together for us. However I don't really know if we have enough content for a decent site! I will try and grab what I can and make some concepts for us.

Until then
Cheers

softdistortion
11-02-2005, 02:37 PM
I don't want to sound harsh, but without a director or any kind of organisation, continuing this project is totally useless.

Good point, or so it seems......Directors?? Organization??..Havn't always kept other collabs alive and active...It's a strange, upsidedown world this collaboration zone!
... but where else could you see such a thing exist? :shrug:

Erikoinen
11-02-2005, 04:02 PM
BOY1DA, yes I would try something.. I'd just like to know what you guys need, so I wouldn't be doing anything useless. :)

BOY1DA
11-02-2005, 09:42 PM
Hello Pjanssen.:)
I really respect the stuff you are doing over at your project.
I hope we get a chance to collaborate together on something one day.

I have left TheFreak and BOY1DA in charge while I'm in japan, please do not get the storyboards started until the 10th of October, because as director I'd like to talk over some shots with him/her. Concept art is okay though.

Keep up the great work everyone,

-Chris

It'd be great to see some progress on the caveman when I get back, and if anyone else wants to join please email TheFreak or BOY1DA (or just post here).

Time for my big speech…:wip:
I think the sprit of this project is to be a free form open collaboration.
And the idea is for it to take on a life of it’s own.

I’ve been here from the start pretty much…
It was open to any idea. We all worked together and came up with the caveman idea.
Story drafts have been written. The main character has been modeled.
We know what the goal is. All that is left is to do it !

Until all the assets are made, Chris does not really have to do anything.
From what I understand Chris wants to direct the action, not necessarily to direct the project.He just happen to be the one to start the ball rolling by starting the thread.

I joined on because , I know their will be many holes and gaps to be filled in as we go,
so I volunteered to be that person that is responsibly to fill in the gaps
and pull all the lose parts together. Right now Chris is not available, no big deal
if anyone feels that there is a gap that needs to be filled then let us try to COLLABARATE
together to try to fill the gaps….. We all can’t be available all the time, that should be understandable.

When or if Chris comes back then we can take it from there,
and I’m sure he would be more then happy to see it still alive.
I see no real reason for us to stop.

But hey, life is pointless so if you want to stop then stop.
That’s the good part of it all,. we don’t really know why we are here
but for some strange reason the world keep on turning … :shrug: :p

BOY1DA
11-02-2005, 09:45 PM
BOY1DA, yes I would try something.. I'd just like to know what you guys need, so I wouldn't be doing anything useless. :)

Hey well sounds good to me, lets talk about it. Well you seen the image I drew.
Lets see if we can bring that to life... how would you like to attack it?

Erikoinen
11-03-2005, 10:41 AM
Hmm.. Is it supposed to be a still image or 3d-environment? I could try 3d-environment but I don't actually know how would I create something like cloud or sun nicely in 3d, except with fog effects or 2d-planes.. Actually 2d-planes could work alright, and sun could be just tweaked lens flare.. I'll start working on it when I get back to home and show you whenever I have something to show. How does that sound?

TheFreak
11-03-2005, 02:17 PM
Hey Guys,

I guess BOY1DA said it all in his little speech. I too have been on this from the beginning and it has moved in many directions before finally finding it's way in the dark woods of the collab forum.

Many people have come and gone with this project and they are all welcome back if they want to contribute again. This is a free flowing collaboration and we all have our lives to live outside of it.

I agree that Chris has not been about the whole time (and neither have I) but as BOY1DA said there are still plenty of us to answer your questions and push people in the right direction.

I have been away from 3D for a while now. Other things have pulled my interest away. Can't say I am happy about that but i have the attention span of a 3 year old so these things happen :) I am going to get back into this hopefully in the next few days. So if you still want to help and contribute you are more than welcome.

Erikoinen - I am looking forward to seeing any scenes people make as we have nothing in this area at the moment. BOY1DA pointed me to a short made by Blur Studios called 'In the Rough'. Our concept is very similar too this (this was not intended but no biggie). It is a very inspiring short film to watch to prep you up for this project and I am sure you will see plenty of things that will burst your inspiration bubbles. (http://www.blur.com)

Go forth and create my flying monkeys of 3D....fly my pretties.....FLY!

Erikoinen
11-03-2005, 03:32 PM
Hmm.. If I'm starting to do it now.. I'd like some info at least about the actual scene. Is it day? Evening? Morning? And umm.. I was wondering about something but can't figure out now what. :P

TheFreak, for some reason I couldn't download anything from that blur site. I opened the site and it's working fine except that I can't click any of the images (except the menu on the left) nor the quicktime-download-trailer-things. :hmm:

? :shrug: