PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 8 wish list

David Lightbown
12-20-2001, 11:25 AM
Hey, I love Lightwave as much as the next guy... Lightwave 7 is amazing. But it can always be better ! Especially when you have competition. Without further ado, here goes !

- Edge manipulation and edge tools a la Mirai. (If this was added in, Lightwave's already insane modeling would go through the roof) I know, we have Extender and such, but REAL edge manipulation would be cool. Sometimes I think, though, if it were easily possible, it would have already been implimented.

- A pseudo-Biped system, like Character Studio. I know this has been accomplished in some other ways, but a Lightwave native way would be cool. Motion designer was a big step in the direction of CS though.

- A modifier stack for modeling. Nothing too insane, but I find it convenient sometimes to be able to go back in time like Max and Maya, to clear an object of all bend or taper effects, or copy an object over and over and change the tapering. This could be done with Morphs in Layout, but it's another method that would be nice.

Suggestions ? Comments ? Flames ? :)

David

Chewey
12-20-2001, 01:11 PM
Edge manipulation and edge tools would be nice, but as you've pointed out, there's probably some reason it hasn't been done already.

Not sure about the biped system. I find that skelegons and the ability to reuse pre-built skeletal rigs in new models provides some amount of convenience for the basics of skeletal creation. Maybe they could create something a bit more intuitive in the areas of IK setup and the tweaking of weight map interaction with the skeletal deformation to allow for the adjustment of weight map assignments and weightings.

I don't have much use for the modifier stack idea but I would like to see Layout have more than a single undo level.

I'd like to see a few more gui items tweaked a bit to help manage the floating windows and how they behave.

ambassador
12-20-2001, 04:03 PM
maybe an expansion of there partical system, more options, optimised for speed.

hmm, i will have to think of some other stuff later

David Lightbown
12-20-2001, 04:16 PM
See how hard it is ? Cuz Lightwave is THAT GOOD !

:)

David

hmc4me
12-20-2001, 05:12 PM
Rigid Body physics

Animal
12-20-2001, 07:45 PM
In modeler:

1. Stack (probably impossible).
2. More than 4 polys in SDS mode (!)
3. Edge edit mode (probably impossible).
4. Alternative construction planes (not XYZ, but user configurable)
5. Better bandsaw (non-modal) (and refine many other old tools like archaic array and set value and radial select for example)
6. more than 4 viewports at a time.
7. more than 9 viewport presets.
8. more configurable viewports (not using a few ready presets, but real configure with snappy height/width)
9. include/refine/integrate useful plugs (hire authors or such), like vertibevel, pointrailselector, planebeltotimizer, snapsets, quadsew, spintris,straights, edgesmoother, clonez, along-by-2points, symmirror, bandslice, align to rail & more.
10. easy configurable color schemes for interface.
11. sticky/configurable panels.
12. working all tools in symmetry mode and change symmetry axis (not only X/-X)
13. export square polys to 3ds/obj, not nasty triangles.
14. snap to point with center of operations (rotation for example). Now snaps work only with move.
15. dynamic degradation of SDS level and change normal shading mode to wire during operations like rotating/moving for better interactivity.
16. snap pivot to point option.
17. true transparency in viewports.
18. select surface from surface editor window (and reverse)
19. select whole surface when one polygon is selected with this surface.
20. multiple background pictures per viewport with more interactive scaling/moving/rotating in viewport.

That should be enough for the beginning...

Regards
Dariusz Zwierzynski

David Lightbown
12-20-2001, 09:10 PM
Oh yeah, I almost forgot:

- Tear-off windows a la Maya

- Snap with knife tool (even though Control L kinda does this)

- Align to view and align to normal for UV mapping

David

pixym
12-21-2001, 12:07 PM
Animal,

Could you please tell me what is Snapset? is it a set of tools for snapping as you can do it in any CAD modeler?

Thank in advance for the answer.

Animal
12-21-2001, 12:53 PM
To pixym:
Check this website and see for yourself:

http://www.geocities.com/lightwavespread/lscripts.html

Regards:
Dariusz Zwierzynski

pixym
12-21-2001, 05:45 PM
Thank you animal

Bye

cerreto
12-24-2001, 12:02 AM
well i wont say im disapointed becuase i dont know but i use messiah so i bought the 7 upgrade with hopes there would be a 7.5 for us modelers

7 in my opinion was a layout update and really modeler didnt really get much so a 7.5 would be justifed not that it needs alot but some plugins that would give bandsaw ( favorite tool ) more fuctionality point rail select is awesome also there are some studd they can give us like colored points and vertices aparently this is extremely difficult to do because i have seen this request at every single foruma and on all the mailing list whats up with that

Khar_Negt
12-24-2001, 04:45 AM
It's going to be hard to implement the edge toolset in Lightwave because of the way it render poly...
Mirai use a db with just edge in mind, it calculate the two polygon attached to the edge after drawing the edge... So the geometry is allways clear, and it could modify the geometry according to the edge.
Lightwave for what I know use a db with vertex and calculate poly from that. So the edge isn't really here, it's more an abstract view for us.
So it will means to rewrite all the underneath stuff to give you edge manipulation or find a way to make it possible : both are possible, very talented people working for Newtek I think. They should hire the Wing user before Discreet, A/W, Softimage or Izware so they have edge ;)

Vassago
12-25-2001, 11:23 PM
I think the stack would be horrible.

I hate that feature in MAX. It's just another feature that clutters the interface. Modeler has 128 levels of undo anyways, you don't need more than that! :)

I think layout should have a lot more than 1 undo though :(

Wishlist:

1) Faster Global Illumination/Full HDRI support

2) Raytraced Soft Shadows

2) Motion Capture settings for hardware items. In max, you can assign a mocap setting to a flight stick or controller, and use that as a manipulation tool for the animation of your model. That would be a nifty feature for LW8

3) A biped system woud be nice

4) More formats to export to. Personally, I think LW lacks here. It cannot export animations or models to many game formats. Everyone at Newtek is touting Lightwave to be good for game developers, but when you cannot export to common formats, what good does it do? Not all of us are script wizards ya know.
I'm personally unhappy that LW cannot export to the Halflife format, SMD.

5) More manipulation for grid snapping

6) Ability to customize color scheme of buttons/windows (perhaps make your own skin?)

7) Subdivision support for 5+ point polygons (ala Mirai).

Thats about all I can think of at the moment :p

cerreto
12-27-2001, 06:02 PM
id like to see drill and bolean operation s work on sub patch

JacquesD
12-28-2001, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by Vassago
I think the stack would be horrible.

I hate that feature in MAX. It's just another feature that clutters the interface. Modeler has 128 levels of undo anyways, you don't need more than that! :)

I think layout should have a lot more than 1 undo though :(

Wishlist:

1) Faster Global Illumination/Full HDRI support

2) Raytraced Soft Shadows

2) Motion Capture settings for hardware items. In max, you can assign a mocap setting to a flight stick or controller, and use that as a manipulation tool for the animation of your model. That would be a nifty feature for LW8

3) A biped system woud be nice

4) More formats to export to. Personally, I think LW lacks here. It cannot export animations or models to many game formats. Everyone at Newtek is touting Lightwave to be good for game developers, but when you cannot export to common formats, what good does it do? Not all of us are script wizards ya know.
I'm personally unhappy that LW cannot export to the Halflife format, SMD.

5) More manipulation for grid snapping

6) Ability to customize color scheme of buttons/windows (perhaps make your own skin?)

7) Subdivision support for 5+ point polygons (ala Mirai).

Thats about all I can think of at the moment :p

2) Raytraced Soft Shadows?
I'm not sure I understood right but what do you thing area light shadow does?

pixym
12-28-2001, 01:12 PM
Hi all,

The Ripper is right. Area lights ARE Raytraced Soft Shadows!

Pixym
http://homepage.mac.com/pixym

Happy New Year ;)

Vassago
01-03-2002, 11:58 PM
I've never seen an area light give smooth looking shadows without cranking AA and dithered motion blur up to max settings.

Without cranking those two things up, the area light always has a real gainy look to it. The soft shadows I've used in Mental Ray are really nice though, even at very low AA settings.

And I agree with Cerreto - it would be nice to see boolean work on subpatch surfaces.

Also, I'd like to see extender work with subpatch as well. If you use extender on a subpatch, it always creates the new geometry as non-subpatch polys. Very annoying at times :)

CIM
01-04-2002, 12:40 AM
Get Shadow Designer if you want to do great looking soft shadows.

Munson
01-04-2002, 08:26 AM
Who uses Booleans for modeling anyway? they are normally very messy and cause more hassle that modeling correctly.

I think that you should be able to make Quads into Tri`s in Subpatch mode, and yeah, SubDivs should work on more than Quads.

M.

flatcrap
01-05-2002, 03:18 PM
I'd like to see some slick-o animatable lattice deformation tools in Layout. I'd also like to see some better spline based modeling, more like NURBS modeling (Blending surfaces, etc...) in Modeler (In addition to the already awesome tools).

Chewey
01-09-2002, 04:08 PM
I'd like to see the image editor/loader fixed.
It worked better in rev 7 and got screwed in 7b.

Dump the sas lite and make it the full version and also include Napalm.

Make everything go faster!!!!

;>

Omita
01-10-2002, 05:21 PM
I have been messing with IK/FK blending in Lightwave for a while now. But I would rather have a built in system like Messiah.

Built in Sliders would be nice too... again... like what Messiah has.

And a Linux Version... or Linux version of Screamer Net... maybe use WINE for Plug-in support.

Chewey
01-10-2002, 05:39 PM
I just use Messiah for those features.
;>

harroldsheep
01-10-2002, 09:59 PM
centre object in persepctive mode.

that would be cool. :D

Chewey
01-11-2002, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by harroldsheep
centre object in persepctive mode.

that would be cool. :D

if you're talking about within Modeler I use
Fit Selected (key command "A") after selecting the object, or I position my cursor over the object in the viewport I want the object centered in and use the key command "g" and that area of interest gets centered in any of the views, perspective included.

In Layout the standard center tool works for centering a selected object in the perspective window.

CIM
01-11-2002, 09:35 AM
If you want features like Project:Messiah, Napalm, Impact, and etc.; go get the damn plugins. Sure, it would be nice to have it bundled with Lightwave, but that's the way it is.

Atleast Newtek attempts to give us (the Lightwave user) current plugins which enhance Lightwave. The things included in Lightwave for it's price are a bargain compared to Maya and Softimage.

Also, there a numerous lscripts out there that enhance Lightwave. Most are free! There is an lscript that makes use of sliders somewhat like Project:Messiah. There is also an lscript that allows you more than one undo in Layout.

Chewey
01-11-2002, 11:59 AM
Newtek has a long and checkered history of folding in 3rd party developer's plugins. They're also very good at listening to their user base for feature requests.

If you ask for nothing you're likely to get plenty of it.

marioucci
01-12-2002, 02:32 AM
ok heres mine:

- no more layout/modeler. i want to model with lights, cameras, bones(not skelegons) and all that stuff in only one interface!!!

- rigid body, shadow designer bundled.

- ik/fk slider for sure!!!!(newtek people, this is an order)

- edge tools
- deformation tools for animation

and now a lil dream:
a 3d uv painter bundled:)
(ok thats too much)

but if i have to ask only one thing it would be ik/fk slider for sure!!!!
and then layout/modeler no more.
thats it so far.

Andre Goersch
01-14-2002, 07:34 PM
Edge tools would be really a dream come true.

But I think the feature I would like the most is real (and fast) antialiasing, not just by oversampling the render. Take 3D Max for an example. The default AA is precise enough, and very fast. Why do I have to render the entire image again (Ok, there's adaptive sampling, but its not the same thing) just to get nice borders?

The same thing goes for Motion Blur and Depth of Field.
For DOF I have Digital Confusion, which is great, but what about motion blur?

One more thing, good suport for GeForce video boards.

Dis
01-15-2002, 12:10 AM
also adding some more support for AMD cpu's would be nice instead of optimizing things for Intel only :rolleyes:

Lamont
01-18-2002, 06:32 PM
A modifyer stack is a double edged sword if not implemented correctly. I don't see a need for one. I mean, if you are a sloppy modeler, then I guess you'll need one. Try in 3DS Max to rig a charcter, then scale it or anything heavy.. you will find that it will screw up. And it bloats the file sizes, and makes for easy file corruption.

And CIM said it best "If you want features like Project:Messiah, Napalm, Impact, and etc.; go get the damn plugins. Sure, it would be nice to have it bundled with Lightwave, but that's the way it is."

You can script ANYTHING in Lightwave.. it's just that the common user doesn't have the time or will-power to learn it. We needed an ascii file format loader and saver, we wrote a script. We needed some basic realtime physics, we made a script. Just about everything you are asking for is right at your fingertips.

There are 2 motion blur options for Lightwave, you can mix and match them. So you kinda have 3 options for it.

The most I'd ever want from Lightwave is bad-ass support for the Nvidia cards (yummy 128mb Gforce 3's are on the way..). I mean, with Lightwave as it is, I can do all aspects of an animation without a team behind me and a bank of programmers.

I think one thing that would help the newbies would be better docs.

Chewey
01-18-2002, 07:00 PM
I don't think the answer to posting your idea of requested features for Lightwave is to recommend that everyone go out and become a scripting geek and just shutup with the feature requests.

Let's see, Lightwave 8's single (and only)new feature is a healthy and informative textbook that teaches one and all how to script all your dream features yourself.

Newtek's docs are more than adequate. Most newbies don't take the time to download them and read them it appears.

It even appears that many users are incapable of using the search feature of their web browsers to locate the many Lightwave tutes that exist on line.

Lamont
01-19-2002, 03:10 AM
First off any schmoe can script. If I can do it, so can the next guy. Second, for the newbie the Book is a good place for reference, but not as good as it should be.

It is true that most newbies don't read the PDF that came with it. They exspect the knowlege to jump off the page and into their heads. The DOCS need to be HTML based, with search options..

CIM
01-19-2002, 09:42 AM
What I want is better LScript documentation. The current documentation is horrible (what is actually there). Newtek needs to hire more than one guy to develop and document LScript.

Chewey
01-19-2002, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Lamont
First off any schmoe can script. If I can do it, so can the next guy. Second, for the newbie the Book is a good place for reference, but not as good as it should be.

It is true that most newbies don't read the PDF that came with it. They exspect the knowlege to jump off the page and into their heads. The DOCS need to be HTML based, with search options..

Most users are concerned with creating 3cd content and are less interested (= no interest) getting involved with the coding, scripting side of things. Don't expect much new in that arena in the next releases of Lightwave. Very few squeaky wheels out there making a fuss over the state of lscript docs.

Here's a small lscript group that might provide some help should you have questions about it. (I read somewhere that lscript is really easy so you really shouldn't need much in the way of docs anyway.)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LightwaveLScript/

and here's a small lscript tutorial and info,

http://www.geocities.com/lightwavespread/tutorials.html

btw, you can perform searches in the pdf docs.
The hard copy docs that come with the licensed versions of Lightwave are more detailed than the pdf docs but I wouldn't expect the entire set of docs to be made available for the demo version of Lightwave.

Back on topic, I'd also like to see edge tools for modeler. I wonder why someone hasn't written a set of these tools already using lscript? Didn't someone say you can do "anything" using lscript?

;>

Lamont
01-19-2002, 05:53 PM
Edges, as any schmoe with any decent knowlege of lightwave would know, would require a complete re-work of the lwo format. This is probably the primary reason it's not there now. If Newtek would have implemented it in version 5.6 it would have been very nice, but if they do now, there will be all kinds of havok as ther are still lots of 6.X users out there who do on occasion swap files with 7.0 users.. and vice versa.

It's very nice that the file format is very versitile between versions of Lightwave. When I moved from 3DS Max 3 to 4, it was hell converting all my files. In Lightwave, I just opened the model.

And Chewey, I do use Lscript, and I do program as a hobby. Thank you , but I've already suscribed to those groups.

I personaly consider edges a perk if nothing else. I'd rather see support for nurbs with more than 4 verticies..

BTW, there is a script out there that fakes edges... and let's you edit your mesh as if there were edges...

Like I said, anything you want, it's there in some form.

Chewey
01-19-2002, 08:02 PM
Anything, that is, except the form of "real" edges. But then most lightwave schmoes already knew that, even some hobbyists. ;>
(btw, that lscript isn't quite the robust tool most folks who know how to model with edge support would like to see.)

Suppose it depends on what your definition of "anything" is. (Don't words mean what they used to?) Maybe you should have used " it does a whole lot of really neato, cool, wack stuff" instead of the "anythang" word?

I say bring on the mocap support. (Haven't seen any lscripts for it yet.) Maybe they'll up the sas lite to saquatch 1.0 now that 1.5 is out! And how about fixing that image loader?

ambassador
01-19-2002, 11:36 PM
unlimited " BACKDROP" Gradient colors would be nice, and other types of gradients, such as radial, and mirrored.

radiosity support for "volumetric" particals, not just solid...even though you can use an array of 70 spotlights for fake GI which looks fairly decent, even though the render times are heavy.;)

and ability to choose which lights use "shading noise reduction

Lamont
01-19-2002, 11:39 PM
Well you can apply a white image as your backdrop and apply a gradient to that in the image editor.

ambassador
01-20-2002, 12:11 AM
yeah, but it would not be tied in with the lighting like the built in gradient...if i was going to go through all that i would not waste my time in image editor, i would just make it in PS.

Chewey
01-20-2002, 01:35 PM
true,true. Image loader has some problems.
I'd like to see the particles enhanced, kicked up a notch. I think they're getting there little by little.

It's always interesting to go back to the version 5 to remind oneself of the improvements Newtek's made.

Ethangar
01-22-2002, 10:10 PM
there are some really good ideas here. I'd be alot closer to being happy if there was edge weighting and point. My bigest wish would be for instancing in layout.

rendermonkey23
01-22-2002, 10:30 PM
It's very nice that the file format is very versitile between versions of Lightwave. When I moved from 3DS Max 3 to 4, it was hell converting all my files. In Lightwave, I just opened the model.

That's odd... What kind of problems did you have? I havent had a single one. :)

cerreto
01-24-2002, 08:04 AM
honestly id just like to see a few modleing tools in the form of a 7 . 5 updater for free i mean modeler should have gottren more tha 3 tools for a full update , like mayb connect or edge extrude making split polys work from side to side or split vertices i hope they give us modelers a lil bone before another 500 dolaar upgrade :(

policarpo
01-24-2002, 11:41 AM
guess i'll throw in my 2 cents of what i'd like to see in 7.5 and 8:

1. faster Monte Carlo (GI) rendering...it's a little slow compared to Brazil for Max.

2. support for fast SSS (i wonder how fast and nice Taron's Volumetric Translucency is at faking SSS in production - i hope we get to find out ;) ).

3. support for subPatch (subdivision surfaces) objects of 5 or 6 vertices.

4. make bandslice a standard feature of modeler (http://www.m2estudios.com/plugins.html)

5. allow Bezier object type to retain their handles until you convert it to a polyobject (i guess this would involve some sort of Procedural Based programming to allow it to retain it's handles/history until it is converted).

6. allow full importation of .Max and Maya scenes (lights and animation) so we can stop using these subpar rendering engines that we have to work so hard with to get to look good. :D -i know this ain't gonna happen!

7. i really haven't starting animating much in Layout...but how important is the need for Multiple Undos in this environment?

8. offer turtorials on the following subjects to be included with the documentation:
a. Modeling a realistic head (imagine a tutorial by Menithings!!)
b. Motion Graphics quality logo animation (from concept to completion)-sci-fi channel bumper quality animation!
c. how to use lightwave for industrial design (model and texture and animate some semi-complex machine type object...maybe part of an engine or a really cool coffee maker) (imagine a tutorial by Menithings!! or the guys at Foundation Imaging)
d. learn how to set up and light your scene the way the pros do! (imagine a tutorial by Menithings!! or the guys at Foundation Imaging!!)
e. 13 ways to do what Maya and Max users do, only faster and better!

9. have layout hook up with After Effects 5.5 the way Cinema4DXL does so we can take advantage of the robust 3D environment AE has implemented... http://www.maxon.net/jumps/c4d_ae_e.html
I guess all it would take is the implementation of the full .RPF format like there is in Max, since AE now import .RPF files.

that's all i can think of at the moment.

cheers,
-policarpo

:p

Lamont
01-25-2002, 02:27 PM
I deal a lot with character set up, and my biggest problem was envelopes not working the way they did in 3. A lot of my rigs had to be re-done. A few settings had new options and required that I go in 3 and save out the info and import it in. When you have a HUGE sceene and characters all over, re-initializing the physique would take a long time. And then you have to go back and check the settings, because some wouldn't be there.

So I'd open Max 3, write down all the settings, save out the data I can. Then put the characters in a default pose. Go to Max 4, open the moded scene, re-initialize up to 13 charcters, and adjust/check/import the settings for all of them.

Some IK stuff didn't work right as well. So I had to re-do some of those. But what was strange is that I had two scenes with the same set-up. One had to be fixed, the other didn't.

Chewey
01-25-2002, 07:19 PM
sounds like a job for some custom scripting.

marioucci
01-25-2002, 10:05 PM
i dont know if its possible or not, but iŽd like that in modeler, i was able to drop a selection without having to drop the current tool first.
for example, im draggin points in a selected poly, i want to deselect it and keep dragging the rest of the mesh without having to drop the drag tool first!!!!!
that would save me a lot of time in a project!!!!

JacquesD
01-27-2002, 01:56 PM
I really like Lightwave the way it is, of course some things are missing so as other 3D packages.
I talked with Gregory Duquesne(Developer for Newtek) on the phone and he told me, they were working really hard on Lightwave 8.0 but couldn't tell more(NDA) about new features.

What I personally miss the most is a really good cloth simulator.

manfromatlantis
02-02-2002, 05:44 PM
Well Ripper, don't know if you've heard of this software by Curios Labs, called POSER.

Fer me it's a real gem as you could import/export between LW and it's pretty fast too.(depends on your rig too :D )

click here to check it out...
http://www.curiouslabs.com/products/poser4/index.html

Regards,
Fish N The C...

JacquesD
02-02-2002, 06:57 PM
I'm sorry but I don't really get your point.
If it's about cloth simulation, I know poser a bit and I don't think it does it at all.

Fabool
02-03-2002, 04:58 PM
Edges in modeler and tools to go with them would be cool, though not necessary as it is quite a bit of work to write the new .lwo architecture, I suppose.
A 'polyline' tool would be handy, meaning a tool similar to the bezier or spline draw, that would just draw 2-point polygon lines, not curves or anything. I'm currently using the bezier tool and a subdivision setting of 1 to accomplish this, but it's a of a pain to use.
More minor things would be to be able to change the color of the wireframes, a feature that shows the polygons as triangles in quad mode (a bit like in max, where you can hide the lines).
Oh.. and a lock viewport position button! It's REALLY annoying when you accidentally pull one of the windows in to a small box and have to tweak ten minutes to get it to it's original position.

Not much to change in the Layout side, as I primarily use Lightwave's Modeler for low-polygon work.

JacquesD
02-03-2002, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Fabool
Edges in modeler and tools to go with them would be cool, though not necessary as it is quite a bit of work to write the new .lwo architecture, I suppose.
A 'polyline' tool would be handy, meaning a tool similar to the bezier or spline draw, that would just draw 2-point polygon lines, not curves or anything. I'm currently using the bezier tool and a subdivision setting of 1 to accomplish this, but it's a of a pain to use.
More minor things would be to be able to change the color of the wireframes,

Actually, if you use LW 7.0 you can set your display to 'Color Wireframe' then in the 'Detail' panel you can change the color of your wireframe with the 'Sketch Color' button.
The only drawback is that you've got to apply it every time you create new poly. I just assigned a shortcut to it, it's no perfect but it works.

a feature that shows the polygons as triangles in quad mode (a bit like in max, where you can hide the lines).
Oh.. and a lock viewport position button! It's REALLY annoying when you accidentally pull one of the windows in to a small box and have to tweak ten minutes to get it to it's original position.

Not much to change in the Layout side, as I primarily use Lightwave's Modeler for low-polygon work.

Mike RB
02-03-2002, 10:52 PM
you can change wireframe color in LW 7.

Fabool
02-04-2002, 12:15 AM
Ah.. yeah, I do know that, but as I typed the message in a hurry forgot to mention that I meant especially the wireframe color in wireframe shaded mode, the white is a bit annoying there and as far as I know, it's impossible to change unfortunately, although it's not that a big deal :)

Adam Klein
02-04-2002, 11:54 AM
It would rule to have multiple point/poly selections, so less time would be spent re-selecting dropped selections.

Also, I don't know if its different in 7, as I use 6.5, but I hate not being able to reach those points in subdivision surface model when they get pushed behind the mesh. That is a real pain in the butt.

Ooooh, and in Layout, I don't know how many times I think I'm switching between Rotate and Move and get stuck, only to glance down and see the cursor in the numeric input full of a bunch of t's and y's, After inputing numerically, I wish any click or movement of the mouse even, would get out of it instead of hitting enter to cycle through.

Ohhhh and another.... in panels, tab should shuttle down the input perameters, while enter should allow the complete exit of that one input without 'tabbing' to the next as it does now.

I think I worded that correctly.. heh,heh
AK

David Lightbown
02-04-2002, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Adam Klein

Ooooh, and in Layout, I don't know how many times I think I'm switching between Rotate and Move and get stuck, only to glance down and see the cursor in the numeric input full of a bunch of t's and y's.

God I hate that... I do it ALL THE TIME :P

Chewey
02-04-2002, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Adam Klein
It would rule to have multiple point/poly selections, so less time would be spent re-selecting dropped selections.

Also, I don't know if its different in 7, as I use 6.5, but I hate not being able to reach those points in subdivision surface model when they get pushed behind the mesh. That is a real pain in the butt.

==snipped out a bunch of extra stuff===

I think I worded that correctly.. heh,heh
AK

Have you tried using the parts name feature for poly selection? There's also the poly select by sketch color assignment that's pretty helpful.
You can use a combination of both for selecting and hiding polys.

I'm using 7b but it does have multiple point select sets and you can create sets that contain points that have already been assigned to other sets.

Mike RB
02-04-2002, 08:36 PM
as far as the tabbing goes, the numeric keypad enter and the normal enter work differently. check it out.

Mike

ambassador
02-04-2002, 09:13 PM
Alpha layer for "texture enviroment", which really should not be to hard to include in LW8. Or even better, multiple alpha layers for selected layers in texture enviroment.

The ability to exclude geometry under sasquatch fur to be AA'd, would really help render times for my orangutan:)

Ibanezhead
02-04-2002, 11:43 PM
More than one undo in Layout

Edge Selection
Individual Edge Division (as a one click feature)
Vertex Connect
Edge Connect (Basically Edge Divide and Vertex Connect in one)

Link tool

Point and click IK setup

The option to use Icons if you want them

Smooth/Wireframe Edge view with texture option

Integrated 3D Paint Program. And when you paint a texture over a seam, it applies it seamlessly, unlike BodyPaint 3D...

Be able to make any viewport into any window. I could have one view as the Scene Editor, one view the Graph Editor, and one view as the Cam, or whatever... Be able to snap any window, any size into any nook or cranny on the screen... Basically, BodyPaint 3D type viewport interchangeabilty.

Vic

Ibanezhead
02-04-2002, 11:45 PM
Oh, and an Align tool!!!! Maybe LW has this and I just don't know it????

Vic

Mahlon
02-05-2002, 07:26 AM
What about being able to render from Modeler. Seems like this would be necessary while modeling. Can it do this already?

M.

Fabool
02-05-2002, 11:13 PM
Remembered that docking windows (the numeric window and others) in modeler would be cool, meaning something like how for example ICQ can stick to the side of the screen, of course this would scale the primary window of modeler accordingly as well.

sherban
02-06-2002, 12:18 AM
i agree with Adam Klein, 'It's the Little things'

first and foremost:
MULTIPLE UNDO'S IN LAYOUT.
This is such a major sore. I'm surprised only one person has mentioned it.
in my opinion that's the first thing to be fixed.

Some interface changes in modeller:

SUBPATCH:

subpatch should work even if points are selected. I hate going thru modes just so I can keep my selection.

I HATE clicking OK when I have a 5-point poly. You don't have to tell it can't be converted [i]everytime[i], I've been using this program for a while.

smarter toggle. I'd like to be able to toggle my subpatch objects on/off without inadvertently affecting my non-subpatch objects.

I don't care how many points were welded. If I do I'll look in the selection box before.

multiple selections ('Part' is very cumbersome and you can't have overlapping parts). i'd like to be able to make a permanent half-volume select for deleting+mirroring for example instead of reselecting everytime.

symmetry to work with knife, bandsaw and such (would eliminate the whole select+delete+mirror).

the whole numeric window filling up with u's and tttt's.

oh yeah, one last thing....
MULTIPLE UNDO'S IN LAYOUT!

Chewey
02-06-2002, 12:47 AM
Here's a tip for your #4 item and the annoying weld message. Those messages can be disabled by going to the display option properties and setting the "Alert Level" to "Expert". Those annoying messages only pop up if you have that option set to "Beginner".

You can use a combination of parts and wireframe color selection under the Polygon Statistics window to use overlapping poly selecting. It's a bit of a work around though. But using the select by wireframe color would work good for making that half of your model selectable with a single click.

I use the Polygon Statistics window to select my subd objects to avoid inadvertantly toggling other items' sub patch state.

ambassador
02-09-2002, 10:25 AM
Ability to load/use surface presets for "geometry", on "solid" particals.......would save me alot of time of having to copy, and past layers, and manually copy perameters of shaders.

JacquesD
02-09-2002, 02:54 PM
Ambassador,

I don't know if I understood right but I think that presets for surface, HV,... work really good.
You just need to multi select the surfaces you want the preset to be applied to and double click on the preset to assign its settings to all the surfaces you selected.
I think that's cool.
Why would you like to change that?

Now if I misunderstood, I'm sorry for that and forget what I all said :)

ambassador
02-09-2002, 10:24 PM
RIPPER,

oh, no I mean the ability to use/load a SURFACE preset for an actual MODELED object, on SOLID HVs.

You can try to load a saved surface for an actual geometric object to apply to a solid HV, but dont waste your time trying;)

JacquesD
02-09-2002, 11:00 PM
Got it now Ambassador.
Apologize my misunderstanding.

rickycox
02-12-2002, 02:01 AM
01. Sub Surface Scattering
02. HTML Colour Picker
03. SWF export
04. Massive debug session
05. Mac friendly reference guide
06. Better Selection sets window
07. Estimates of total render time
09. I'd like to be able to go File>Close without quitting the application
10. Some kind of 3d paint system

That's enogh for now

efishta
02-12-2002, 04:17 AM

Cman
02-14-2002, 08:04 PM
Sherban:
My good friend Faulknermano did a couple scripts that answer your prayers about toggle subpatch even with points or polys selected!

http://thespread.topcities.com/

He's go lots of cool stuff.
Check it out!

fredlight
02-15-2002, 02:27 AM
You don't seem to know that 3DS format object is only triangles....and even when Max show you quads, look behind..still tris...

Cheers
Fred

13. export square polys to 3ds/obj, not nasty triangles.

That should be enough for the beginning...

Regards
Dariusz Zwierzynski [/B][/QUOTE]

ambassador
02-18-2002, 04:36 AM
Nurb based METABALLS, that actually output a nurb model, not a poly one, with the numeric option of how many segments the cages have.

Plus the ability to paint them with a stroke, pressure sensitive while your at it, so you can paint them with a tablet, so you dont have to use the "spray point method" or splines.

JAS
02-19-2002, 04:39 AM
I would like smarter subpatches and a ruler tool that doesn't vanish just when your about to move something.
How can an artist make a precise measurement? Drawing on the screen? Ha,ha,ha

rickycox
02-19-2002, 04:47 AM
Use ya eyeometer hehe

good point though, if you in Layout you can convert a Null object to a ruler

ambassador
02-19-2002, 04:58 AM
or a numeric distance that appears abover your mouse as you move an object.

yeah thats true, sometimes when you click off non objects in layout they disapear until you select it again.

Cman
02-19-2002, 04:59 AM
Hi,
Thanks for the responses so far.
I've been working on my Lofting script some more,and that led me to MultiMerge. Let's you weld multiple points in order of selection.

Maybe some will find it useful.

http://www.m2estudios.com/plugins.html

Thanks...

ambassador
02-19-2002, 05:00 AM
oh, i forgot OPEN GL procedurals, and much more precise bump displacements, that only add geometry were the object gets distorted.

JAS
02-19-2002, 05:07 AM
actually I meant the ruler in modeler. Silly me I ...forgot..(sarcastic)...its two programs and had to be specific about which one.

JIN
02-26-2002, 06:17 PM
shadowmap ist not so good .

Cman
02-26-2002, 06:59 PM
Jin,
take a look at OGO's SSS plugin. It has very nice looking option for soft shadows! Haven't really tried it much (been scripting too much), but it looks cool.

JIN
02-28-2002, 05:04 PM
ja,ich have already the Plugin ....very cool...thank u.
but ..i think it is a little sllowly.

JacquesD
02-28-2002, 05:13 PM
Jin, What don't you use 'Area Light'? it gives the best soft shadow among any type of lights, you just have to learn how to use it.

JIN
02-28-2002, 05:30 PM
Area Light ist also good..but i Mean that the Position of the shadow is not so good.The Problem is not only SOFT shadow or hard shadow.

JacquesD
02-28-2002, 05:35 PM
Hum, The Position of the shadow?????

cerreto
03-01-2002, 11:23 AM
cman just wanted to say thanks for multimerge very kick ass man look fdorward to more gret plugins if youre doing more ! i posted a l sript suggestion in this forum but i dont think it possible though you may want to take a look and see thanks again very nice of you !

DiscretioN
03-01-2002, 05:18 PM
that stupid numeric box is annoying, yes it's better then having to press 'n' like in the old ones but SO oftern i go to render the frame and i sit there hitting th F9 key over and over trying to figure out why the hell it's not doing anything :P

but the main thing i want in lightwave is something to make F ing hair, I've been looking all over the internet for some good plugins or tutorials for hair and the only good one i found cost like US$599

CIM
03-01-2002, 06:13 PM
Lightwave does come with hair, but I guess you're using an old version of Lightwave or you'd know that. Just upgrade to Lightwave 7.

DiscretioN
03-02-2002, 05:11 AM
Actually i only just recently upgraded and still have alot to learn about the new version.
How do you get the hair?
is there a tut on the net about hair with LW7?

ambassador
03-02-2002, 05:23 AM
Numeric control over SHADING NOISE REDUCTION

CADster
03-02-2002, 05:51 AM
For the modeler -

1. vertibevel INCLUDED as a modeling tool .

2. Autocads snap functions (endpoint, near, midpoint, perpendicular, tangent, quadrant, grid). This should be for points as well as faces or a given selection.

3. edge tools (ala: MAX). Select edge of a face and extrude or... or... (hell, i guess thats all you can do to an edge ;) )

4. A direct copy of the MAX UV tools (MAX ripped off LW with the movable windows so its fair play IMO). If not, then the ability to view the UV window in any of the 3 coords. (U, V, W) ala: unwrapUV ... immm, this might not of been explained very well. What i want to be able to do is map a part on X and then rotate it to Y in the UV window.

5 detachable menus (tear off style, ala: Rhino).

6. the option to use the perp. window as a preview window (remember the old days of 5.6 ?). I would want this an option so i could choose to use it to model in or preview only in .

6. the 3ds import and obj import would READ the imported files UV data (good by, 3D explorer) .

7. improved magnet tool (more options and goodies .. dont know what I want, but i know i want more ;) )

8. hitting 'TAB' works on faces with more than 3 sided polygons.

For the animator (Layout)

1. multiple/adjustable undos (just like the modeler)

2. read and write BIP files. save poses as BIP files (single frames)

3. snap function (just like Autocad, explained above))

4. something that would tell you very, very quickly if the program was rendering or locking up (ala: Autocad .. its got this little spinning line thingie). Hit F9 and what does it do ???? it sits there for a minute or two, then it either starts rendering or gives the not enough memory error, or worse... i need to know whats up sooner.

I personally love the seperate interface ... God i hope it stays this way (i dont animate when i model). Maybe a setup option (ala: Premiere) when installed giving you the option of either a combined or seperate interface would make both worlds happy.

CADster

cerreto
03-02-2002, 06:40 AM
lets just hope we get a nice features release like they have done with the past 3 releases instead of jumping straight into 8 that would make me happy a few modeling tools to go with the big lw 7 layout upgrade ;)

Cman
03-02-2002, 07:39 AM
I agree with you Cerreto.

@Cadster
never used Autocad. I've made a "snap" tool called Move&Align. I've been playing with the idea of adding the ability to move to a particular point. Unfortunately, I can't imagine - "perpendicular, tangent, quadrant, grid" - and how that would work.
Maybe you could provide some images?
As for "Vertibevel", I think I gotta stay away from that one. I think I've figured out how to do it, (Don't think it's much different from my Bandslice actually) - but I'm sure I'd get sued if I gave it away! ;)

CADster
03-05-2002, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by Cman
@Cadster
never used Autocad. I've made a "snap" tool called Move&Align. I've been playing with the idea of adding the ability to move to a particular point. Unfortunately, I can't imagine - "perpendicular, tangent, quadrant, grid" - and how that would work.
Maybe you could provide some images?
As for "Vertibevel", I think I gotta stay away from that one. I think I've figured out how to do it, (Don't think it's much different from my Bandslice actually) - but I'm sure I'd get sued if I gave it away! ;)

ok, i made a few gif animations of some of the Osnap tools in Acad and here they are -

i did not do any for endpoint, midpoint, or center. Endpoint snaps to a point. Midpoint snaps to the middle of two points, and center snaps to the center of a circle or shape.

CADster

CADster
03-05-2002, 02:52 AM
this is the quad snap .. not real usefull for LW. Its used more for numeric input (in surveying)

CADster
03-05-2002, 02:57 AM
this is the one i would really want (uh, and of course endpint, midpoint, center)

CIM
03-05-2002, 10:56 AM
Lightwave wasn't designed to do CAD work, so I don't see why ppl. are complaining about it. I guess ppl. are gonna complain next because it doesn't cut your grass and take out the garbage.

Targ8ter
03-05-2002, 02:03 PM
Man, it'd be cool if LW could help out around the house... ;)

But if we're going throught outrageous feature lists, I would just like to say: Sub Pixel Displacement Mapping!!!

And maybe a better, more integrated soft-body dynamic engine.

Cman
03-05-2002, 05:04 PM
The perpendicular one, it looks like 2 connections are made...is that correct? Or are you just demonstrating how the point moved?

CADster
03-05-2002, 07:27 PM
Just demonstrating how the point moves. In LW i believe only snapping to a point, a midpoint and a center would be all thats needed.

@CIM

your right, but most 3d apps have these Osnap (or simular) features and i would like them in LW.

CADster

Lamont
03-05-2002, 07:54 PM
http://www.dstorm.co.jp/DS_E/index-e.html

Cman
03-05-2002, 09:20 PM
http://thespread.topcities.com/

Faulknermano has "SnapSets". These might help give you what you are looking for, at least as far as moving points and objects to points in Modeler.

No Perpendicular or Tanget though.

raffael3d
03-06-2002, 07:19 PM
and finally a construction history for the Layout!!! I have been waiting for this since version 5.5 and it's still missing, it sooo essential. but still missing.

jambhala
03-06-2002, 10:30 PM
Only add two things more to layout! :

1.- Add a slider control to control everything (such in messiah) and a tool such messiah motionblender.

2.- New soft body dynamics. MD crashes too many times and go trought geometry :(

Greetings, Carlos Reding.

Cman
03-06-2002, 11:09 PM
What about SliderBox?

http://mfleurent.free.fr/html/f_lw.htm

felix_man
03-07-2002, 12:58 AM
I read this post after I posted some suggestions on a nother post about building plugs. <clipped>

1. I have always wanted a bevel tool that includes rotation, rotation around the normal (flat rotation) would be the most important but all angles would be even better. here is what I was thinking. when beveling a poly the controls would be the same...only with the addition of three handles for rotation. Crap I would love this. and being able to bevel multi polys together like Vertibevel (my most used plug) would be kick A$$. Maybe a check box in the bevel numeric panel?

2. Add handles like layout to modeler . When you select some poly/points you would get the appropriate handle for move, rotate and stretch... you know the little arrows for move, the circles for rotation, and the axis strecher for strech in the center of the selection. Also would be cool if you could hit a key ( [ins] in Maya) then move the manipulation point. This would help the work flow significantly!

3. A maya style FFD (Free Form Deformation). i.e. Select some poly/points and use the FFD whcih would overlay a sectional box with a variable number of divisions on each dimension, now you can select and move individual (or a multi selection) of points of the box and get a smoothly distributed deformation of the actual selected points. If this rambling doesn't make sense let me know and I will post some ScreenShots from Maya.

4. A airbrush (like the weight airbrush) that clings to the surface, helps to visualize while painting weights... and (next)

5. A airbrush style, cloner. i.e. choose an object (like a hair) and then brush it over the surface of another object to clone it with adjustable random sizing, rotation, spacing. this would be kinda like the paint geometry artisan tool in Maya (not to be confused with the Freakishly magical artisan paint effects). Max has a tool like this too... its' called....ummm...uuummm...I don't remember what it is called, but who cares it's MAX anyway (snickering). This brush should also be able to drop multiple copies at one time, i.e. press the brush down once and get a small grouping of copies. Would be great if you could also asign settings rotation, scale spacing to pen tablet pressure.

6. A nice built in rigid and soft bodie deformation system. Now don't get me wrong motion designer is great... but man nothing I have ever seen can touch Maya's ease of setup, and holy crap it is such a fast solver. I have never had to bake any dynamcs (even horribly complicated) in maya. I have been waiting for the beaver project to be finalized just so I could use Maya's dynamics in LW. If LW had a system as easy and FAST as Maya's I would never open Maya again! Just select an object in maya and hit add rigid/soft body... KABLAAAM! instant REALTIME dynamics! Don't know why no one has been able to match AW on this front, AW must have a magic dynamics pixie included in each copy of Maya. :)

Any way thats contribution to the wish list.

CIM
03-07-2002, 09:53 AM
Project:Messsiah's dynamics are just as good, if not better than Maya's. It is real time and works wonders (compared to Lightwave's own).

Anyone can just shell out a few hundred bucks and get Project:Messiah or some other cheap plugin, saving the thousands you would have to spend for a few nice features found in Maya.

Munson
03-07-2002, 04:11 PM
I don`t know what experience you have with Maya CIM but you`ll find that Maya has the best Dynamics currently available. Messiah has something called dynamics but you`ll find they are faked. It has some sort of softbodies but it goes no where near maya as that has Soft/Hard bodies with Cloth too ( if you pay extra )

True what you say about messiah being better than LW though.

Cman
03-07-2002, 05:17 PM
Yeah,
I'd like to to see Dynamic Realities, or some other company come up with a hard core SoftBody system - whether LW makes it or not.
As you say, Munson, in Maya you gotta pay extra for the good stuff, and I'm more than willing to do that for LW too! ;)

felix_man
03-07-2002, 06:24 PM
Heck I would be willing to pay a little extra just for a fast realtime ridgid body system. soft bodies are great, but the I use the ridgid stuff way more often.

MadMax
03-09-2002, 12:42 AM
I buzzed through this topic quickly so this may have been mentioned already.......

for me, a couple of simple tools would really make me happy.....

Fillet

Chamfer

Maya rocks with filleting edges on intersecting objects. Makes for some great, neat models.

shivacola
03-12-2002, 06:39 PM
MetaNURBS with bezier controllers.

shivacola
03-12-2002, 06:42 PM
try to search kag_extender+ at www.flay.com

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.