PDA

View Full Version : dvi and vga, big difference?

sha$xl
06-29-2005, 03:55 AM
im gonna buy a 6600 GT and a second LCD monitor. the two monitors are 17" dell ultrasharps (1703fp, and a 1704 fpt which is being shipped). should i get a 6600gt with dual dvi or one with a D-Sub + DVI? im only in high school and got a low budget but i love to use programs like photoshop and im learning to use blender. also i play some games, but i dont need to have top of the line effects ( the 6600 GT will suffice for those things i think). i can save a few bucks by getting a a card with one DVI and one vga, but im worried that the picture quality is going to be noticabley different.

edit: oh and does anyone know if nvidia will make a 7 series mid range model (like a 7600 or siomethin) soon? if so i'll wait for that

lots
06-29-2005, 04:29 AM
I would guess that a midrange 7 series Geforce is definately in the works. I would assume about the same ammount of time will pass before we see them as did when the 6600GTs came out. So a month or two? perhaps...

jbw
06-29-2005, 09:49 AM
I run dual iiyama as4637 on a card with DVI and VGA at work and I find the DVI is sharper than VGA. With two of the same monitor I can notice the difference. The monitors you have chosen are supposed to be great, if the difference is only a few bucks (say $20 or so) I would pay the extra for dual DVI and have lovely sharp images on both monitors.
If you're on a limited budget and willing to wait for the 7600 surely the 6xxx series of cards will have dropped in price by then? You might then pick up a bargain on a 6xxx card that is adequate to your needs?

ta,
jbw

CGTalk Moderation
06-29-2005, 09:49 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.