PDA

View Full Version : Projection Map in LW?

lorigosolo
06-29-2005, 01:08 AM
Hi all!!

The other day i saw a cool way to paint UVmaps using projection maps in Maya, the problem is that i would like to know how to do that in Lightwave, it can be done? Can i project an image and bake that as a tiff file? :shrug:

Would ask this in the LW forum too!

Thanks guys and gals for the help!!
Lorigosolo

leigh
06-29-2005, 07:58 AM
Are you talking about the way you can adjust the camera angle in Maya and then project a new UV map from that angle? If so, then no, unfortunately there is no similar option to that in LightWave.

lorigosolo
06-29-2005, 04:35 PM
Thanks Leigh for the reply, i was hoping you would drop by and help me out with that , as you do awesome texturing using Photoshop and LW and know a lot of stuff about the software! :thumbsup:

Yeah, that was the cool way to texture that i saw the other day, in the tutorial he use this "projection map" with the camera in Maya and i thought that LW had something like that. There is no tool or plugin that can do that in LW? What about Surface baker, i can bake the texture and acomplish something like (Tiff image :) ) of the uvmap, but donīt know if it is the same as the proyection map that Maya have.

And taking advantage of the situation :bounce: , what kind of uvs do you use in LW, always planar or depends wich part/model you are texturing? Better use Photo reference for texturing or create your own?

Thanks!!

leigh
06-29-2005, 06:14 PM
I actually don't use LightWave anymore heh :)

LightWave can bake textures to a UV map though, but you need to set up the UV map beforehand, and of course in doing so you're limited to LightWaves regular UV functions. Depending on the shape of the model being unwrapped, I usually used to use planar and cylindrical projections, and then edit them to perfection. There is a Texture Guide tool in Modeler that gives you a little bit of intuitivity when creating texture projections, but there is no camera angle unwrapping option like Maya has.

And as for photo references or your own, that depends on the nature of the work. Most of the time I use a combination :) It depends on the actual thing being textured, as well as the deadline. Sometimes photographs can be even more work that simply painting your own from scratch.

If you like that function in Maya, you might want to consider getting ZBrush. ZBrush offers a totally hands-on, intuitive way of projecting multiple images onto a model and then saving the result as a texture map. It's a quick and effective approach to dealing with complex characters and such that have multiple seam areas :)

lorigosolo
06-30-2005, 07:00 PM
Ouch!! Should read cgtalkīs forums more often :blush:

Zbrush looks pretty cool, at least the stuff that i saw was pretty amazing.

If you donīt mind, can i ask you some questions related to LW, Zbrush and yourīs new software and adaptation?

If the answer was "No i donīt mind", here are the questions ;)

First of all now that i updated my knowledge, i would like to know if XSI and Maya are hard to learn, because LW modelling tools looks a lot more easier to use than Mayaīs and the interface of Maya is a little confusing isnīt it? It was dificult to get used to that? I know XSI name only, never had the chance to try it, it is good? I heard that it is a very cool modelling software as good as LW modeler, is that true? This one is easier to learn than maya, coming from LW or the two have the same level of dificult?

So Surface baker only apply the texture to the UV already created, but the proyection map do something like that, or at least the tutorial i saw the UVmap of the head that he was texturing already had a UVmap set up and he was using the proyection map to create planar views (Front, left and right side, back) and than he would go to photoshop and merge those 4 planars maps and create the full texture for the head. So if i want to do that i should be able to do it with the surface baker? :shrug:

Like you, at least when you used LW, i love to model using point by point modelling and Zbrush is more clay modelling right? Like box modelling, and iīm terrible at that, did you had a hard time getting used to the modelling style of Zbrush and the userīs interface?

Thanks Leigh for your time, I hope i`m not abusing of your kindness :bowdown:

leigh
06-30-2005, 08:42 PM
Of course I am happy to answer your questions, but just always bear in mind that they are my own opinion, and based on the way I like to work. They may not necessarily be all that appropriate for someone else since we're all different and have different ways that we like to approach tasks in our work :)

But here goes...

First of all now that i updated my knowledge, i would like to know if XSI and Maya are hard to learn, because LW modelling tools looks a lot more easier to use than Mayaīs and the interface of Maya is a little confusing isnīt it?

Personally, XSI is my favourite 3D tool. I found it easy to learn and very intuitive to use, although it actually has a lot of incredibly complex stuff bubbling just beneath the surface. Compared to LightWave, it basically has a lot more options, settings and depth to it. The same goes for Maya, although I will admit that I don't like Maya's interface very much. It's not that it's confusing, it can just feel very cluttered and a bit intimidating at first.

I always find it very difficult to say if something is "easy" or not because that varies from individual to individual. I never really had any problems learning Maya but there is a lot more to learn about it compared to LightWave.

I know XSI name only, never had the chance to try it, it is good? I heard that it is a very cool modelling software as good as LW modeler, is that true? This one is easier to learn than maya, coming from LW or the two have the same level of dificult?

I think many LightWave artists find XSI very easy to learn because there is something similar about its interface and workflow. I do highly recommend trying it out - it has an excellent integration of Mental Ray for rendering and the toolset is fantastic. I've been using XSI for 18 months now and absolutely love it. I use it both at home and for some stuff at work.

For me personally, I would say I found XSI easier to learn than Maya. But that's just me :)

So Surface baker only apply the texture to the UV already created, but the proyection map do something like that, or at least the tutorial i saw the UVmap of the head that he was texturing already had a UVmap set up and he was using the proyection map to create planar views (Front, left and right side, back) and than he would go to photoshop and merge those 4 planars maps and create the full texture for the head. So if i want to do that i should be able to do it with the surface baker?

No, LightWave does not enable you to project in a planar fashion onto a ready made UV map in that way. You could create four seperate regular planar maps and merge them together yourself to fit the UV map, but it would be quite a bit of work since LightWave does not have that interactive planar placement function.

Like you, at least when you used LW, i love to model using point by point modelling and Zbrush is more clay modelling right? Like box modelling, and iīm terrible at that, did you had a hard time getting used to the modelling style of Zbrush and the userīs interface?

I don't personally use ZBrush for modelling. I only use it for painting displacement details and projecting images :) I use XSI and Maya for modelling.

I hope this helps!

CGTalk Moderation
06-30-2005, 08:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.