PDA

View Full Version : Google Unveils Video Viewing Software (BIG DEAL: MICRO MARKETS FOR ARTISTS!)

RobertoOrtiz
06-28-2005, 07:11 PM
Quote:
"Google Inc. unveiled a video-viewing channel on its Internet-leading search engine Monday, creating another media outlet that may open new moneymaking opportunities for a company already so profitable its stock has tripled to above $300 in 10 months"

"Watching the amateur and professional videos in Google's index requires free software available at http://video.google.com (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/ap/ap_on_hi_te/storytext/google_video/15612566/SIG=10ptq32p7/*http://video.google.com). The software, consisting of about 1 megabyte, won't do anything except stream Google's videos through the Internet Explorer or Firefox Web browsers.
"

>>Link<< (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050628/ap_on_hi_te/google_video;_ylt=AlF6vrz_drdLK56XInX_viys0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3cjE0b2MwBHNlYwM3Mzg-)

-R

meats
06-28-2005, 07:20 PM
This is really cool for artists and animators that want to show their work.

They accepted my old demo reel, which I just submitted as a test <here (http://video.google.com/videopreviewbig?q=meats&time=0&page=1&docid=9174449964538830893&urlcreated=1119982541&chan=Uploaded&prog=Meats+Meier+animation&date=Wed+Apr+13+2005+at+7%3A22+PM+PDT)>.

It's nice that they allow you to see the video from various points, but I was surprised they don't let you play them full screen.

Interesting....

paul.yan
06-28-2005, 07:54 PM
actually, if you double click the video, it will play full-screen. :)

dmonk
06-28-2005, 08:28 PM
Two Words....

Super Cool!!!

g8ff
06-28-2005, 08:51 PM
very cool.

cyartist
06-28-2005, 09:11 PM
Meats saw your video stuff for the first time. Lovin it. This could be a great marketing tool for all of us.

meats
06-28-2005, 09:38 PM
Thanks cyartist. Paul - nice on the full screen - didn't see that right off...doesn't look so good full screen tho'.

Currently there are only about 14 demo reels on there - get on it people!! ;)

dmonk
06-28-2005, 09:45 PM
I seriously think this could change everything as far as content Creation goes.

eks
06-28-2005, 11:13 PM
I seriously think this could change everything as far as content Creation goes.

and i seriously agree with you. these guys are simply amazing!

damn! i wish i had enough money to buy some google shares!

eks

smoothoperator
06-29-2005, 01:12 AM
Doesn't support Safari on MacOSX :(
bad google..bad.

opus13
06-29-2005, 06:53 AM
i'm getting some weird errors when attempting to login via the uploader.

"Invalid SSL Certificate, connection aborted."

hmm.. and im sure i have the correct gmail name and password as well. damn.

tuna
06-29-2005, 07:37 AM
Yeah I cant login to the uploader either :shrug:

Gendou
06-29-2005, 01:45 PM
This is a little OT but still in the same ballpark.
Last night I was installing some software and I installed Winamp 5 again. Just before clicking on the "Internet Radio" listing in the Media Library window, I clicked on "Internet TV" accidentally. Turns out that it's just that, TV shows, mostly. I'm sure they're "illegal" rips from TV, but there were quite a few channels that had independent films, shorts, student films, animation, etc. It was really cool! It seems like Shoutcast-based or something, but it could be a little avenue, like the Google video channel, to get "airplay" on independent projects. It's worth checking out, the Winamp TV I mean. I'll have to check out the Google TV channel also.

-G

L.Rawlins
06-29-2005, 02:11 PM
Yeah I cant login to the uploader either :shrug:

Well it is still in Beta. It's not flawless just yet. :)

Larrikin
06-29-2005, 04:06 PM
I applaud Google for doing this. But I also can't help but admire DVD Jon for doing this today..

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/zd/20050628/tc_zd/155004

DePingus
06-29-2005, 04:11 PM
Anyone seen http://earth.google.com "a 3D interface to the planet"? Im convinced that Google was sent by aliens to take over the world. Be afraid!

opus13
06-29-2005, 04:15 PM
SSL issue solved. i had to start up IE and login to gmail first, then the uploader worked.

embodiedform
06-29-2005, 05:28 PM
Looks great Meats!
What are you allowed to put under the "About This Show" section? (can you put a link to your site, bio, production notes etc)

We're accepting digital video files of any length and size.
Note to Self: Buy Google stock:)

Chris Bacon
06-29-2005, 05:34 PM
OH this is BRILLIANT...finaly I can start to show my work

meats
06-29-2005, 06:23 PM
Thanks Bijarts -

You can add your URL and all - here is the link to the whole FAQ page:

Google Video Upload FAQ (https://upload.video.google.com/video_faq.html)

gga
06-30-2005, 02:15 AM
Not to be negative, but I do suggest you read the fine print on google's service. Basically, by uploading any video on to their site, you basically give google eternal distribution rights to it (and the ability to market it and add advertisement without a single penny back to you). Think careful about it if you have a good short film.

Also, be careful if you upload a demo reel. They often contain work done for hire for some company and a "fair use" may end up not applying.

NUKE-CG
06-30-2005, 02:31 AM
gMail initially gives Opera the finger, now Google Video.

I wish Opera would get off their ass and shake hands with big players to assure they're on the beta-list for upcoming technologies. I don't like Firefox nor Explorer.

Nice service anyway, Google are a solid company, with surprisingly higher business ethics than most.

EDIT:
Post #1000 *pelvic thrusts*

noisewar
06-30-2005, 03:55 AM
gMail initially gives Opera the finger, now Google Video.

I wish Opera would get off their ass and shake hands with big players to assure they're on the beta-list for upcoming technologies. I don't like Firefox nor Explorer.

Nice service anyway, Google are a solid company, with surprisingly higher business ethics than most.

my thoughts exactly... still tho, my opera license has been money well spent.

Peddy
06-30-2005, 05:23 AM
...so was firefox

google video is interesting. do they screen uploads? whats stops me from putting copyrighted content on there?

leuey
06-30-2005, 05:41 AM
I guess I don't understand the title of this thread. How is it a big deal and micro market for Artists? Is there a way to make money off of this? Any kickback from Ads placed on a highly viewed video? Anyway to sell/distribute content? I'm interested but I don't know what the 'big deal' is. (sincerely, somebody fill me in here.)

-Greg

westiemad
06-30-2005, 12:09 PM
i'm hoping that they'll take all the 3dcg training videos so we won't get raped for bandwidth costs.

dmonk
06-30-2005, 01:36 PM
I guess I don't understand the title of this thread. How is it a big deal and micro market for Artists? Is there a way to make money off of this? Any kickback from Ads placed on a highly viewed video? Anyway to sell/distribute content? I'm interested but I don't know what the 'big deal' is. (sincerely, somebody fill me in here.)

-Greg

I remember when first talks about this were out. They might allow the owner of the video to charge to view. There was a thread about this in a discussion a month or two ago.

Immagine you could charge $1 per view for your short with out going through distributors or external marketing people etc etc. It could be very profitable if you produce the right content.

Even if you don't charge, word of mouth could produce many clients or employers. The material just has to be appealing.

Think of the possibilities for independent film makers.

Slurry
06-30-2005, 02:16 PM
I agree with gga.

Be very cautious about what you upload, if anything. The most important asset you have as an artist is your rights to the work.
George Lucas is where he is because he kept the rights to Star Wars. I don't know if anybody is sitting on the next SW but you get the idea.
Conversely, artists for comic books and cartoons gave up the rights to their creations to the studios and were left with nothing. The studios went on to make millions.
You may be an unknown artist now and figure, what the heck, I've nothing to lose. But you may in ten years from now. Eternity is a long time.

Art

meats
06-30-2005, 06:51 PM
Please post your link to the "fine print". All I can find is the FAQ, which clearly says that you can take the video down any time.

I'm not the worst bit worried about goooogle stealing my animations from me, but if you are, keep them to yourself, safe and sound on your hard drive... :)
It may be time to embrace the digital age. Anything you put on the internet is considered fair game by many. It's something that has been accepted by me. The last thing I'm worried about is a large corporation stealing my work. China, russia, etc. - yes. Happened many times...

\tinfoil hat off

slaughters
06-30-2005, 08:10 PM
Please post your link to the "fine print"....Good point.

I uploaded some videos a couple of months ago. Nothing great, just testing out the new Beta. I'll have to check to see if they are there when I get home tonight.

Slurry
06-30-2005, 08:25 PM
Please post your link to the "fine print". All I can find is the FAQ, which clearly says that you can take the video down any time.

I'm not the worst bit worried about goooogle stealing my animations from me, but if you are, keep them to yourself, safe and sound on your hard drive... :)
It may be time to embrace the digital age. Anything you put on the internet is considered fair game by many. It's something that has been accepted by me. The last thing I'm worried about is a large corporation stealing my work. China, russia, etc. - yes. Happened many times...

\tinfoil hat off

Look under terms of use.

There are many opportunities within the Site for you to actively participate. In the process of doing so, you may provide certain comments, suggestions, data, or other information to Google (collectively "Information"). Google shall have the right to retain and use any such Information in current or future products or services, without further compensation to you. To the extent such Information is protectable under intellectual property laws, you agree to cooperate with Google as needed to obtain such protection as Google may desire and you agree to assign your rights to such Information to Google. Furthermore, Google may share aggregate (not personally identifiable) Information with its business partners or other third parties.

You can still upload and share your videos/animations on to the internet without giving the rights away to a third party. But, it's up to you. I'm not saying DON'T do it. Just think before you do.

Art

RobertoOrtiz
06-30-2005, 08:29 PM
It not the same. there is NO WAY you can reach the same number of hits on your own. It not going to happen. And in their terms of agreement, there is a HUGE difference between personal information and CONTENT. Int this case, it is THE CONTENT that we want to control the rights off.

It is my understanding that they are following the marketting approach that Turbosquid has.

They host the file, you keep the rights, FOR FREE.
The advantage of this approach is that it fall in the hands of content distributor (GOOGLE) to make you work available to the biggest number of people. So in other words, the do MARKETTING, HOSTING and MONETARY TRANSACTIONS for you.

The difference between thatn, and previous sites, like ATOMFILMS, is that YOU KEEP YOUR RIGHTS. Huge HUGE deal.

-R

Slurry
06-30-2005, 08:51 PM
Hi Roberto,

I agree. It is unlikely a person would be able reach the masses that they could using VideoGoogle. I was just pointing out the was an alternative to keeping your videos "safe and sound on your hard drive..."

I am certainly no lawyer and don't know the specifics of this website/service. I certainly hope it is what you guys are implying it to be. In the Terms of Use, I didn't see anything that stated a difference between data and content. Hopefully it is as you say.
As far as money transactions go...

...Furthermore, the Site is provided to you for your own personal use, and it may not be used for any commercial purposes. For example, you may not do any of the following: use the Site to sell a product or service...

I've yet to see anything that officially declares that you keep your rights. Therefore I am cautious. I don't think it's wise to trust ANY corporation. They rarely have the little guys' interests at heart.
I am simply suggesting people go into this with their chin up and do some research before committing. If it's everything you guys say it is, then nothing lost but a little time.

By the way, the documentaty "The Corporation" is an interesting DVD. I recommend it.

Cheers!

Art

gga
06-30-2005, 09:18 PM

The fine print is right there. Once you agree to the video service and once you install the video uploader. Basically, while you do not sell your rights to google (you can still sell the video to others and if you create mickey mouse, he is still yours), google's video agreement is plain and simply the most aggressive legal document for getting your work with no pay.

Read VERY CAREFULLY what is said in point 3 of the agreement you accepted, meats.

3. Use of Content. By accepting this Agreement and uploading Your Authorized Content to Google, you are directing and authorizing Google to, and granting Google a royalty-free, perpetual, non-exclusive right and license to, host, cache, route, transmit, store, copy, distribute, perform, display, reformat, excerpt, analyze, and create algorithms based on the Authorized Content in order to (i) host the Authorized Content on Google's servers, (ii) index the Authorized Content; and (iii) display the Authorized Content, in whole or in part in the territory(ies) designated in the Uploading Instructions, in connection with Google products and services now existing or hereafter developed, including without limitation in products developed for syndication. This license gives Google the right to copy, excerpt, distribute and display Your Authorized Content via both streaming and progressive downloading technologies, and to display limited excerpts of Your Authorized Content for no fee to the end user. Google reserves the right to display advertisements in connection with any display of Your Authorized Content. Notwithstanding the foregoing, Google is not required to host, index, or display any Authorized Content uploaded, and may remove or refuse to host, index or display any Authorized Content. Google is not responsible for any loss, theft or damage of any kind to the Authorized Content.

If you are no good with legal mumbo jumbo, this means that any video you upload, for the price that it takes google to store your video and web page (what is it? $50 bucks a year or probably much less?), google can then:
1) Show the work for ETERNITY. This is simply outrageous. While a studio will obviously own all the rights to any work you do for them, they will also pay you much more handsomely for any movie you sell to them or they will be at least partial investors during the *production* of the film. When a movie is sold to a tv channel, they are also often sold with strict clauses (to show the film only XX amount of times or XX amount of years, etc).
2) In tv production, ads are often the province of the tv network. However, sometimes deals are made where a producer will get a percentage of the revenue from ads (this is more common on live action stuff).
3) Google can also decide to simply omit any of your content uploaded if you are not to their liking (nice way to bargain with you in the future if say... you were to take your 7th film somewhere else).
4) You give syndication rights to google. This is also huge. It means that if google tomorrow decides to, say, make google video something that can be shown in cell phones or sell your films to tv networks, you also will get 0 dollars from it. Currently, syndication rights in the US is a bigger business than anything.

There's no doubt that google can offer a captive audience like pretty much nobody else can, but giving them any content under the above rules is well... I'd say silly. You will notice that there is also another agreement for tv stations and large producers. I have not read it, but I guarantee you the clauses are quite different there.

Even a demoreel which may hold no value today is a potential money maker down the line. After all, how much would you be willing to pay to, say, see Steven Spielberg's home-made films or John Lasseter's first animation reel? And how much would someone pay for them *after* those great artists are gone? Hmmm.... I know of some Picasso sketches on a napkin that were sold for quite a chunk of money.

leuey
06-30-2005, 09:52 PM
I still don't see how this is an outlet for revenue generation for an artist. Unless there's some sort of kickback from ads, why would you post anything on google video for any reason other than kicks or the fact that your content is and will always be valueless and you want to show it to other people (here's my kid's 1st bday party kind of thing and I can't host it myself). Or maybe it's a good place to post your vids. from Siggraph so other people can see them? That kind of thing?

Am I missing something here - or is this a neat thing but doesn't offer any utility to hosting money making content? Anybody?

-Greg

slaughters
06-30-2005, 10:46 PM
...Am I missing something here - or is this a neat thing but doesn't offer any utility to hosting money making content? Anybody?https://upload.video.google.com/video_faq.html#overview7

"https://upload.video.google.com/video_faq.htmlCan I charge for playback of my video?

Yes. Or you can allow users to play your video for free. This is totally up to you and your video distribution goals. As the content owner, you decide whether you'd like to give away your video for free or charge a price that you set for it...."

richcz3
06-30-2005, 10:48 PM
Here's an interesting Link (http://current.tv/studio/contest/) I found today. This may be better suited to reaching targeted audiences.

--

I think the "deal killer" is the non commercial use. It pretty much eliminates website or commercial referrences. Google can reach the masses but what good is that if you have a trailor for a project or short film and can't entertain commercial investment interests?

I can partly see why they would do this. They want to avoid rampant long bogus informercials hosted at their expense. But since there is a review process, that should not be tha case. My bet is that after they cache enough videos, they will advertise to companies using these user libraries to sell Corporate Video Streaming Solutions by Google. Google under those conditions will have the right to run any/all content provided by users as agreed to in the terms of use.
Worst case scenario is that Google could theoreticaly package types or genres of videos for various industry uses. So long as they remain on Googles servers and the rights remain the users, they would be able to do that indefinately. :argh:

The key people that Google Video benefits are people with demo reels that can't afford the bandwidth charges. By sending a Google movie link to prospective employers, they can have the hosting taken care of for free. For people that make video content for a living, this does not look like an ideal means of distribution.

meats
06-30-2005, 10:59 PM
Read VERY CAREFULLY what is said in point 3 of the agreement you accepted, meats.

Now that I've gone in and read it VERY CAREFULLY, I'm running around with my arms above my head screaming "THE SKY IS FALLING!!!"
Nope.
Ok. We are talking about demo reels here. The thing that we PRAY to get into the mindshare of as many people as possilbe. A demo reel. Please google. Please use my demo reel for free for all of eternity. Please advertise it for your own personal gain. Please. It's my demo reel. It's what gets people to go to my website and learn more about me. It's the thing that makes employers fill my inbox with job offers and freelance opportunities.

Thanks for hosting my video, Google. And thanks to the people that think their work is so wonderfull that Pixar will try and steal it and put their name on it and make milliions from it! Makes more room for the people that know the realities of the new digital world and want to compete in the 3d industry and want their work to be seen...

This message is typed with a smile ....:)

richcz3
06-30-2005, 11:19 PM
meats is right. This better serves people with demo reels. People who do commercial work and do this for their livelihood, simply put; by the Terms, we can't use it.

EDIT: WHOA

I didn't see Slaughters post above....

gga
07-01-2005, 05:40 AM
I'd argue that it is also pretty useless for reels.
Truth is you don't need to give away any distribution rights to any video to land a job. At least not yet. I don't think the job market is that saturated.
The way things work today, with a pretty picture posted with a link to your site at some site like cgtalk, cgchannel, siggraph, web page of some 3d package, some resume/contact web site, etc. you are already guaranteed hits by potential employers (unless your pic really sucks :). When artists have some spare time at companies, they surf the net and they usually stop at those sites. Good animations are often shared among artists and if the stuff is really good, it gets shared across the whole company or beyond. This does not necessary mean you will get a job right away, but names are usually remembered and I know of many instances where those reels end up landing the person a job some months down the line.
Your reel also needs to be redone every year or every couple of years, so hosting it for eternity is counter-productive.
Once you do work for hire (say your reel contains stuff from a movie), you are kind of in a jam to place it in a public place like google (putting it in your site is also technically not 100% legal, but the difference between sueing google and an individual is quite different).
In the new digital world, getting a service to host a site for a year is really cheap and spending time setting up your own web page also shows more dedication to your job than just relying on someone else's cookie-cut scheme (and if you are really good at 2d and design, your web page gives you another chance to show your skills).

meats
07-01-2005, 06:10 AM
I think your missing the point of putting your reel on Google video. It's free, unlimited bandwidth. And it's not a question of either to host it on your site or upload it there. You should do both. Posting your work to 3d sites like this is great for exposing your work to the 3d community, but in reality is a very small part of the web. Posting it on Google is exposing it to the world because it is more or less the ruler of the internet nowadays. It's a little calling card - saying,"hey, come check out the rest of my work and hear about me at my own site". More people, more possibilities. Where does your name come up when someone does a Google search for 3d art? # 2,000,435? On Google it could be more focused for you. At least for a little while.
And your right, if someone doesn't feel comfortable with it, then they shouldn't do it.

Chris Bacon
07-01-2005, 11:23 AM
Ive put my work on there.....how do you view it once its done

gga
07-02-2005, 08:19 AM
I think you are giving google too much credit, meats.
Google is certainly the most popular internet search engine but it is far from ruling the internet. Its popularity just means that their main search page gets hit billions of times each day with a search. But not its video web page, and particularly not for job seeking nor for cg information. highend3d, cgtalk, monster.com, etc. are way more popular gateways for that.
Google video as a popular demo reel repository is pretty much doomed from the beginning as it, logically, does not allow hosting of material you don't own the copyright to. This means that anyone that has a movie, game or commercial on their reel will not get past google's screening, assuming it is done properly. This means that roughly all of your experienced cg artists in the biz will not be able to place their demo reel there, which will make the whole google video an unlikely stop for someone looking to hire.
I don't follow in what way will google video be more focused on your person? Once you have thousands of home movies in there, you will not be able to browse thru it. You will be faced with the same task as you do with web pages today: having to search for special terms that will hopefully hilite your video. How will your video distinguish itself and appear at the top of the list? Google's ranking is not based on a first-come-first-serve basis. You will not be #2,000,435 as there's bound to be less videos than pages but you will probably still be pretty far from the first 25 or so hits that appear in the first page.

meats
07-05-2005, 06:23 PM
I think you are giving google too much credit, meats.
Google's ranking is not based on a first-come-first-serve basis. You will not be #2,000,435 as there's bound to be less videos than pages but you will probably still be pretty far from the first 25 or so hits that appear in the first page.

I give Google the exact credit that it deserves. The most popular search = control of the internet. And they are growing very very quickly.
And seniority does come into play with Google. My Google placement is even above this site - # 29 out of 10,200,000 in a search for 3d art. # 12 in a search for 3d artist. I also have two images on the main page of an image search for 3d art. I'm probably the worst person to try and convince that Google placement won't lead to jobs, interviews, and freelance work. Just trust me on this one ;)

<sorry about placement braggin', just trying to show you where I am coming from>

Like I say, if you are worried about it, just pass it up. It's easy :)

Nemoid
07-05-2005, 07:38 PM
Exciting !!

planning to upload Shapeshifters - the beginning -
in this sytem too, once finished. :buttrock:

ReBootedOne
07-05-2005, 08:21 PM
This is exciting, although I still feel a wee bit iffy about it... I don't think I would ever trust it with any work I would actually submit when applying to places and stuff, (I'm not paranoid about theft or anything, just, meh).

However, I feel no worries at all as I upload my dancing juicebox video. :)

-eric

paul.yan
07-05-2005, 10:18 PM
i uploaded two video clips about two and a half weeks ago and they are still being verified. I'm not complaining about how long it's taking but it's interesting to note that this probably means each video clip is being personally monitored by a real human being. If this is true, I wonder if they plan on continuing doing this as the base grows.

opus13
07-05-2005, 10:30 PM
how do you tell that they are being verified? i uploaded via the software utility, and... nothing. i didnt get an email receipt or anything. id there an area that lets you know the status?

DB3D
07-05-2005, 10:45 PM
ok, i think this is great because I've been wanting to show some of my animations to friends people i know who work at companies just to get a critique from them. I havent really spent much time learning web design so i dont have a website yet. I have an account for this google video but im still waiting to read more till i put something up on there. What I'm wondering is fi i submit one of my like 40 second animations I dont want google to be able to edit it or something like that in the future. If they do use it for something it has to be shown in its entirety correct? I hope that makes sense. thanks

gga
07-06-2005, 06:21 AM
And seniority does come into play with Google.

Sorry. But seniority has nothing to do with google's rankings. Why do I say so? I don't claim to know how google does its rankings today (that's their main secret), but...
The founders of google did publish a paper and a patent describing their (original) indexing algorithm. It was simply based on references, similarly to what happens with scholarly papers. That is, a web page that was referenced the most by links in other (important) web pages would get ranked higher.
For more info on google's ranking (and how to place yourself higher at google), read for example:
http://www.akamarketing.com/google-ranking-tips.html
Even so... I'll explain why seniority cannot come into play. If you take times into account, your average search is usually interested in current information first, old information last. Imagine someone typing "ibm technology" or "cancer treatments". If seniority was given priority, you'd be pointing towards pages with more than likely older cures or old technology.
These days, I'd bet google adjusts its rankings also based on clicks from their web page after the search (ie. if I type "meats" and then I click on your web page instead of a food web page, I wouldn't be surprised that your web page shows a tad higher next time someone searches for the same term. I estimate this since google is now also counting clicks to web pages from their newsgroups).
google's video search engine cannot take advantage of their patented page ranking system and seems to be based on keywords/clicks mainly. Still, they do seems to give more priority in searches to network tv programs rather than user's contents.

meats
07-06-2005, 06:14 PM
For more info on google's ranking (and how to place yourself higher at google), read for example:
Why would I need to read read up on that (read it years ago)? If you read my previous post, you would have noticed that I already have excellent ranking - the type of ranking that people usually pay to get. Just curious, but have your theories about how Googles ranking system work ever come into reality? Do you have any sites in the top 50 or so? My theories (you are right, nobody knows but them) got me above 2+ million other pages. Maybe I'm guessing right? Maybe I'm just lucky, I don't know.

These days, I'd bet google adjusts its rankings also based on clicks from their web page after the search (ie. if I type "meats" and then I click on your web page instead of a food web page, I wouldn't be surprised that your web page shows a tad higher next time someone searches for the same term. I estimate this since google is now also counting clicks to web pages from their newsgroups).
google's video search engine cannot take advantage of their patented page ranking system and seems to be based on keywords/clicks mainly.

You have just varified my original reasoning for adding a video to the Google video page. It's all about clicks and connections. What are you linked to and who is linked to you. A video on the Google site is a golden link (and important in the eyes of Google *guessing*) back to your site. Putting a video on Google is a calling card that may lead back to your site. It may not. Definately not losing anything by adding it.

Slurry
07-06-2005, 06:36 PM
... # 12 in a search for 3d artist...
<sorry about placement braggin', just trying to show you where I am coming from>

:)

Erm, when I searched 3D artist you were ranked #11.
So you moved up one spot!
But the total of returns was only 12. So it's a good ranking sure, but you could also look at it as being 2nd last. It's all about context I guess.
Also, when I searched 3D art, you didn't show up at all and there were only 32 returns...not 10,200,000.
Any ideas why there is a discrepancy between searches? Does Google give random returns?

Cool video btw Meats. I remember seeing your stuff a while back. Cool motion tracking.

Art

meats
07-06-2005, 06:44 PM
Slurry -

Thanks.

I'm talking about the regular internet Google search, not the Google video search.

Second to last on the videos - glass half empty or half full? ;)

Slurry
07-06-2005, 06:58 PM
Ahhh, I see now. Glass half full. Always better to be an optimist although I struggle with it sometimes!

Art

gga
07-06-2005, 11:04 PM
Just curious, but have your theories about how Googles ranking system work ever come into reality? Do you have any sites in the top 50 or so?

Sure. That web link I pointed you to is ranked:
#2 on google (after google's own webpage, so I'd say it is really #1)
#8 on yahoo (after 3 or so google web pages)
#9 on altavista (after 3 or so google web pages)
when you search for any of the main terms in their title ("google ranking", "google algorithm", "pagerank guide", "yahoo ranking", "yahoo algorithm" ).
I wouldn't make that much out of it, thou, without a more comprehensive sample. That being said, these guys actually do make a living trying to help your web page rank higher.

Now.... google has recently published a new patent (right before april fool's day) which indicates google is slowly moving away from their original pagerank towards a relevance tracking scheme (something many suspected as google's friendliness has been getting worse in a number of areas).
http://www.mediajunk.com/public/archives/000365.html
http://www.seomoz.org/articles/google-historical-data-patent.php
The patent does clarify something about age of webpages being taken into account. In general, it seems google will give preference to newer pages using a simple formula (which they give in the paper). Yet, for some search terms, they mention google searches may end up preferring stale web pages instead, based on how often they are favored clicking based on search results.
Interestingly enough, to make this new system work really well, google's patent hints at getting access to a lot of, currently, private information (cookies, browser habits, mail scanning, etc).
Hmm... I think it is time to make yahoo my new search portal.

DB3D
07-14-2005, 08:43 PM
Has anyone read the fine print yet? I was wondering what rights you lose if any by submitting a video? Really I dont care if they used whatever i submitted as long as they cant edit the video to their likeing. Mostly because im putting my info on the bottom corner. So if they wanna show it around thatd be fine by me. free advertising.

CGTalk Moderation
07-14-2005, 08:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.