PDA

View Full Version : 2 HD's? Which should be Master?

b.Schulz
10-22-2002, 03:01 AM
So in the new system that I'm creating I am getting 2 HD's probably. One for my OS and junk programs and the other for my apps and work. I'm wondering which should be the master and which should be the slave (I'm guessing the OS one should be the master). Or does this not apply or matter? One will be a 20GB Drive the other will be a 80GB w/ 8mb cache. The 80 GB is the one that I will be storing my work on. I'm setting it up and selecting my HD 1 to be the 20GB (assuming that this is where the OS is going to go) and HD 2 to be the 80GB. Any thoughts? :shrug:

MaDSheeP
10-22-2002, 03:23 AM
actually.. if i am correct... master and slave does not effect performance, it simple lets the computer know where to look for the OS

so set the OS drive as the master :)

derelict
10-22-2002, 10:43 AM
Helo,

Be it FAT, FAT32 or NTFS or whatever, it is always prudent to install or setup your OS on the bootable drive or at lease the partition within the same drive due to its PRIMARY config. Y? Because this is where all your file allocation table (FAT) or your NT tracks are written in whenever one boot up the computer (the limitation and the power of 8086 architecture) most of the 64k chunks are still used here but hidden away from nosey unqualified hands.;)

IF you do not want unwanted delay in booting and unwarranted misshaps...just install your OS in the primary drive as specially winxp pro! The stuuuupid hardware track is a bloody headache.

The next thing is finding out if your system is set for ata66 or 100 and check if your hdd is compliant to those standard. if the two disk is diff. set the faster one as your primer and the slower one as slave to your cd-rom drive (leaving the master hdd at its given speed) IF you have another ide device which occupy a slot... let that be the slave to your cd-rom and b happy to combind your 2 hdd on a single line.

There are many choices for placing and installing your apps. It all depends on what is your system usage. It would be better for the apps to be installed on the same hdd be it within or parking in a partitioned section. this will give you an added mobility in moving or storing your other hdd without much fuss and the most important of all is when your os crash.... u know your other hdd is somewhat safe.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.