PDA

View Full Version : Inspirational trees - larvae weave

madart
06-28-2005, 03:07 PM
I just read about a moth's larvae (häggmal), that eats the leaves from the trees, here in Sweden. There are some really inspiring photos of these trees with the weave covering them and the littel larvae crawling about.

The site is a Swedish newspaper, Aftonbladet. But you can click on the link, below a photo of one of these trees, with a small camera next to it.

It says: "Spökträd runt om i Sverige". (Ghost trees in Sweden).

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyheter/story/0,2789,665694,00.html

Maybe you have seen this kind of weave in other countries, but I have never seen it before, anywhere.

I thought these photos are really inspiring and wanted to share.

Please feel free to post other inspiring photos from nature if you like or add a link.

NOOB!
06-28-2005, 03:49 PM
your inspired by a tree? :curious: joke.

i haven't any pictures to share,but i am inspired by stuff like forests and jungles for some reason,i don't know why it is.

madart
06-28-2005, 03:58 PM
I'm not joking! :) I'm inspired by a lot of things around me. Trees do inspire me, with or without weave.

NOOB!
06-28-2005, 04:10 PM
alright then,i'm inspired by nature but not just one thing like trees,grass etc. i'm inspired by all of it as a whole.

i like the weeve trees though,i've seen it in allota art.

i prefer open forests though,in art,seems like they have deeper meanings and can tell fascinating stories.

Elaeria
06-28-2005, 07:23 PM
Wow! I didn't understand anything from the website, but wow! Those trees are craziness!! Those little larvae took over the whole thing! And the bike! Eeeek! :eek:

Those trees would definitely be inspiring for any type of scene you might want to draw. They can invoke a feeling of creepiness, ethereal, whatever you like. Amazing how many images came to mind when I looked at them. And not all of them negative (although I did keep thinking of those poor trees! *shudder*)

Nature is definitely the most inspiring thing for me. Good thing a forest starts at my front door! *grin*

Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:
Cheers,
~Ela~

madart
06-28-2005, 08:04 PM
noob, it's a good thing we are inspired by different things, :) some see the whole and others the little details.

Forests are very fascinating, there's so much hidden inside of them, you can really let your imagination wander, especially when you're in an old forrest with lots of moss.

Elaeria, I don't know what the larvae have eaten on the bike, but somehow they must have liked it... hehe

You can get all sorts of ideas from these photos, they're quite good for making sketches as well, some of them.

Imagine if you were quite small or the weave was really big and you walked into this, remove the larvae, I'm thinking of the weave here, you could use it as building material for a buildings and such. It's just sort of an idea I got for an image when looking at the photos.

BTW The trees don't die, and this doesn't happen every year. But it does take the trees a couple of years to recover and they will grow leaves again.

tntcheats
06-29-2005, 11:31 AM
There's a thread I just saw where people were pissed off at the lack of originality in pictures. Everything sci-fi.

I think it'd be cool for a few people to make pics of things like this, that look sci-fi, but explain and show pics of how they're in nature. Maybe combining them, too.

Joee
06-29-2005, 11:37 AM
Hey I like those trees called, weeping willow? they are nice.
Tntcheats - I know exactly what you mean, back to traditional subjects in pictures !

DrFx
06-29-2005, 11:56 AM
Madart, imho: Those trees are disgusting!:argh: Especially in the pic with the little larvae! And I pity the poor dude who got his bicycle hijacked by those little bastards! :scream: How you find that inspiring I cannot grasp, good for you if it works, though! :)

A little off topic: Michael Jackson has an "Inspiration Tree". No larvae, though, but he's a bit of a nutcase!

madart
06-29-2005, 01:29 PM
Hey I like those trees called, weeping willow? they are nice.

Weeping willow? Is that what they are called in English?

I think it'd be cool for a few people to make pics of things like this, that look sci-fi, but explain and show pics of how they're in nature. Maybe combining them, too.

That's how I like it, a combination of nature and sci-fi.

Madart, imho: Those trees are disgusting!:argh: Especially in the pic with the little larvae! And I pity the poor dude who got his bicycle hijacked by those little bastards! :scream: How you find that inspiring I cannot grasp, good for you if it works, though! :)

Well that's the thing, what inspires you are often things that evoke a feeling in you, and it doesn't just have to be something beautiful or positive. That's how I feel anyway.

I'm also quite disgusted by the look of these threes, and especially when you can see the larvae. But at the same time, the weave as such, is beautiful. What I often do, when something catches my eye, is try to look beyond what I'm actually seeing. Turn what I'm seeing into something else. And that is when I get inspired for my work. Well, that's how it works for me.

Stahlberg
06-29-2005, 04:13 PM
It's called Birdcherry in english I think. My last name used to be Hägg (until I changed it to Stahlberg, mom's maiden name). :)
Cool images

madart
06-29-2005, 05:07 PM
I actually looked "hägg" up to see the English name and Steven, you're absolutely right, it is birdcherry! :)

It's quite a name change going from Birdcherry or Hägg(?) to Stahlberg or is it Ståhlberg? :)

dbclemons
06-29-2005, 05:24 PM
Back in East Texas there were Tent Caterpillars that had a similar nest to them which stretched between limbs of a tree, but nothing as serious as those things. Wow! We also had bagworms that wold make these cute little pouches. The tents also had a pungent odor to them that was most foul.

-David

Stahlberg
06-29-2005, 05:28 PM
Technically it's Hägg-Ståhlberg in my passport, but that's a bit long...

madart
06-29-2005, 07:30 PM
Back in East Texas there were Tent Caterpillars that had a similar nest to them which stretched between limbs of a tree, but nothing as serious as those things. Wow! We also had bagworms that wold make these cute little pouches. The tents also had a pungent odor to them that was most foul.

It doesn't say anything about a smell from this weave, which is a good thing I suppose, as there is quite a lot of it. :D

There are so many fascinating animals, insects, plants etc in nature, you just have to keep your eyes open to it.

Technically it's Hägg-Ståhlberg in my passport, but that's a bit long...

Ok, I get it now, Hägg-Ståhlberg, right! :)

tntcheats
06-29-2005, 11:17 PM
I like the pictures regardless of their disgusting contents. As long as I don't have to put up with the little buggers, and they make stuff that's this awesome, they're cool.

jmBoekestein
07-01-2005, 08:42 PM
This is pretty fun madart, I cam across a tree completely consumed by caterpillars a while back in Amsterdams central park. I will look for the photographs, I had a camera becaus I was hunting textures. :D

I'll post them later on, I haven't developed the habit of writing on my cd's what they contain.

madart
07-04-2005, 07:16 PM
This is pretty fun madart, I cam across a tree completely consumed by caterpillars a while back in Amsterdams central park. I will look for the photographs, I had a camera becaus I was hunting textures. :D

I'll post them later on, I haven't developed the habit of writing on my cd's what they contain.

I'd love to see those photos!

Great system you have there for your CD's, BTW! ;)

Maidith
07-04-2005, 07:40 PM
Eek! These moths will give me the creeps. @_@

jmBoekestein
07-05-2005, 06:50 PM
Well I got them finally, turns out they weren't even on a cd yet, still on another computer. :rolleyes:

I colourcorrected them a bit, they were abominable on their own. And included a close up of the grub sacks. :p There were thousands of them literally, and every thread you see hanging has grubs in it. ;)

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/5262/grubtree3ey.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)
http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/7250/grubtree24jg.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

and for special occasions just this once, the Grubs.
http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/1236/grubtreesacks1bb.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

madart
07-05-2005, 08:05 PM
jmBoekestein, I don't know what is "worse", the Swedish photos or your photos! :scream: Those sacks, it looks as if there is a bat hanging upside down inside! But I can see the grubs if I look carefully. Those long threads.... it's almost like horror film reality... Fascinating stuff!

How big is one of those sacks?

Maidith, I think jmBoekestein's photos are somewhat creepier than the ones on the Swedish website, don't you think?

mv
07-05-2005, 08:31 PM
Species that build their own environment (humans included) , are pretty fascinating. Thanks for the pics.

jmBoekestein
07-05-2005, 11:46 PM
Weird isn't it...:surprised, I guess the sack you're looking at should be 40cm in length, the caterpillars/grubs are all fully grown I guess. I was quite surprised to find grubs in those sacks because they are really big. Most people didn't notice at all to be honest, the few that did were also the ones to point out I was standing rigth under one. :D It gave them the willies allright, lol.

Enayla
07-06-2005, 09:41 AM
The way the Swedish trees look... it's started here already. It happens every year since a few years back. If you walk underneath them when they are entirely covered ( which I prefer not to ) you will hear a soft rustling, strange, eerie sound of the larvae moving around.

It's quite beautiful from a distance but awful up close. I'll see if I can take some photos when they're all covered, though my photography isn't anywhere close to those pictures displayed on the site.

jmBoekestein
07-06-2005, 03:03 PM
I wonder what it's like when they turn into butterflies...:)

I've seen huge swarms of those monarch butterflies in rainforests, it's a sight to be seen allright...:surprised

Enayla
07-06-2005, 04:58 PM
So, on our walk to the river, a friend and I came across one of those trees where the webbing has just started. I didn't want to stand underneath it for too long, because there's a tendency for the larvae to... drop. And I didn't want any in my hair. So I snapped a few really, really quick pictures and ran off. I'll take more if you guys would like, when it gets worse. (all of these except the last one are actually cut-outs from one single photo).

http://www.furiae.com/images/webbing/1.jpg
This first one is just an extreme close up of the webbing itself and how it seems to gather... ick. From a distance, the trees appear ghostly, beautiful, but close up they're quite disconcerting. Blurred in the background, you can see some of the larvae, pale in colour.

http://www.furiae.com/images/webbing/2.jpg
Just another close up of the webbing itself. It's strange, because it looks so smooth and silky, doesn't it? Except where the black stuff gathers like in the first image. I don't know what that is, do you?

http://www.furiae.com/images/webbing/3.jpg
Here you can see the larvae better. This is what makes the experience less than 'beautiful' for me. It's like, hey, there's a gorgeous, ghostly tree... but it's crawling with... things.

http://www.furiae.com/images/webbing/4.jpg
One of the larvae. Not too easy to take this image, I'll tell you. It was slightly windy and it kept swinging back and forth, back and forth on its thin webbing and I didn't want it to get stuck on me (nor any of the others to fall on me). I just snapped two photos and made a run for it. It's a miracle this one turned out so sharp.

nineinchneil
07-06-2005, 05:32 PM
wow! these trees look awesome. especially the second picture that jmBoekestein posted. some nice web reference right there. . .

Elaeria
07-06-2005, 05:40 PM
Okay, these photos are seriously making me want to start a new pic...heh heh...even though i already started the sketches last night...*impish grin*.
I propose a friendly mini-competition here...don't know if anyone is really up for it, but ya know...just putting it out there. Of course, I'm not sure where the competition would come in...ahhh, forgive my prattling on.. :D

It would be neat if whoever is interested worked this concept into a new pic. It would be neat to see what moods and styles people would use this in and how many different ways it could be used...any takers?

~Ela~

jmBoekestein
07-06-2005, 06:49 PM
lol, must have been..an experience.

Those black things are caterpillar droppings, they seem to have left that part of the tree to look for more lush bits of the tree.

I'd love to see more photo's later on, if you could I'd like to see those trees in full view :D. I really love seeing things like that.

Really cool stuff.

sorry elaeria, no time...would be fun later on though. DSG topic, ghost trees.

madart
07-06-2005, 07:27 PM
Wow I see things have happened while I've been away today! :)

Great photos Linda! You say that this happens often where you live, may I ask where in Sweden you live? The photos on Aftonbladet's website are all from around the Greater Stockholm area.

There is a tiny little web where I live in Gothenburg (Guldheden) on a small tree, nothing scary or inspirational at all. :sad:

I can definately see why you didn't want to stay for too long underneath those larvae, Linda, not that pleasant to get a bunch of them in your hair.....

jmBoekestein, 40 cm! :argh: and you were standing right under one! Well you did get some good photos!

madart
07-06-2005, 07:41 PM
Elaeria, they are inspirational aren't they.

Great idea for a minicompetition, using the ghost trees as inspiration. But like Boekestein suggested, maybe it's something for the daily sketch group. But it would be interesting to see what everyone would make, from using these photos as inspiration. Both 3D, paintings and drawings.

So what do you folk say?

jmBoekestein
07-06-2005, 07:45 PM
I couldn't resist having a look for them. I found some neat pictures of monarch butterflies, these creatures navigate en masse across fast stretches, t's completely amazing. :)

here's some pics, I wonder how those swedish caterpillars will end up. From the photogrpahs Linda posted you can tell they're caterpillars. They'll turn into a lot of butterflies :love:.

http://www.learner.org/jnorth/images/graphics/mexico/ElRosario0077.jpg
http://www.learner.org/jnorth/images/graphics/mexico/ElRosario0087.jpg

You'll notice the unexpected colours on them, I think they change colour along their journey due to certain substances running out.
So here's how they can also look:
http://tompawlesh.smugmug.com/photos/13047746-L.jpg
http://tompawlesh.smugmug.com/photos/13047757-L.jpg

here's a link to a high res one of the last photograph: >:wavey: (http://tompawlesh.smugmug.com/photos/13047757-O.jpg)<

These trees apparently grow up to 200 feet tall and are completely covered by these. :)

Rudeone
07-06-2005, 07:59 PM
OMG now that's a sight, AMAZING!!!

madart
07-06-2005, 08:18 PM
Those photos are absolutely amazing! Beatiful, incredible! Did you take those, Boekestein? Where were these photos taken?

You sure know a lot about caterpillars and butterflies and stuff, it's a totally new world to me. I never know what the little larvae you see here and there will turn into. Either yukky little bugs and insects or beatiful butterflies..:)

jmBoekestein
07-06-2005, 08:36 PM
I didn't take them myself. These are grabbed of google. Apparently these travel from the north of america to FLorida and Mexico, I believe the bottom two are taken in Mexico, the upper I can't tell.

As for knowing, it seems much but is very little compared to what's really out there. I have always been an insect lover, had a collection too. But there are billions of insect species.

Insects are odd, for instance a dragonfly larvae is a gruesome predator that impales it's victims so to say, it's hideous too. :) But turns into a dragonfly, mostly very beautiful creatures. But I'd write pages if I'd get into this now. :D

edit: I found the page again. :) here you go: monarch butterfly winter home (http://www.learner.org/jnorth/tm/monarch/HabitatWinterTour.html)

madart
07-06-2005, 09:09 PM
Insects are interesting, I sometimes look them up, but that's really trying to figure out if they are a threat to my wild strawberries...:D Should I kill them or let them live... hehe

Those photos really are amazing, the ones with the aerial views especially!
Didn't know that about the dragonfly. There are so many interesting stages from larvae to insects. Both repelling and beautiful.

jmBoekestein
07-06-2005, 09:37 PM
Just a quick illustration for you of the nymphs(dragonfly larvae) mandibles. Those long graspers you see, fold out, they're the front part. Looks closely and at the end you'll find its claws/teeth. These or a needle like thing deliver a paralysing poison(I don't remember exactly), it stuns all smaller animals instantly and delivers a painful sting to larger animals, even humans. They eat anything about their own size even fish. I love these multifacetted aspects of insects.
Well, uhm, anyway, they look like giant lice otherwise, quite hideous.
http://www.imagequest3d.com/catalogue/freshwater/images/u009_jpg.jpg

Well, to be honest madart, it's because of poisoning that you are having these plagues, the natural predtors that eat these butterflies and caterpillars are being poisoned by consuming multiple prey with less poison in them. They are eventually the victim and the solution. Tough luck huh.

madart
07-06-2005, 11:17 PM
Oh, yikes! :argh: And here I am worrying about my two pots of wild strawberries on my balcony! :) Better not look too closely now on that photo or I'll have nightmares! ;)

Boekestein, when you're talking about a plague, what kind of plague is that? Do birds eat the caterpillars and butterflies? I really haven't got a clue. You're mowe than welcome to tell us more about it!

Elaeria, I'd really be interested in seeing what you've drawn/sketched or painted, from being inspired by these photos. And anyone else!

jmBoekestein
07-06-2005, 11:46 PM
By plague I meant the amount of caterpillars suddenly appearing. Linda said they appeared suddenly a few years back. Either these things happen periodically as balances shift between predator and prey, or suddenly a link is missing somewhere in the food chain. Since predators consume a multitude of prey they build up poison in their bodies, after a while too little survive. Especially with insects this can go relatively unnoticed untilll there's a burst.

For instance I've noticed a decline in spiders around our house since 5 years ago, I can clearly remember seeing fat spiders all over, now I barely see them at all, well the fat ones that is. Chances are in five years they'll be all over again. I think this because now there is time for abundance of prey, as soon as that happens more spiders will eat and survive the winter, after a while there'll be loads of them again.

There are ways to counter this, there's a natural enemy for every creature. There are a lot of wasps who only eat one type of prey, or rather lay eggs inside them, ahem...:surprised...well humanely is different but nature's balance is harsh.

madart
07-07-2005, 04:20 PM
Nature sure is fascinating!

I'm sure these caterpillars have been around for a long time, and weaving these webs, I remember it from when I was a child, but I could only see it on different kinds of weed and plants. I don't know what has changed in nature to create this "huge" amount of caterpillars, which of the two you suggested.

But have you noticed how much bigger and taller a lot of plants and weed have become during the last few years?

There are certain types of weed and grass, that only went to my knee when I was a kid and now they are the same height as me, and no I haven't shrunk...

Maybe it's the green house effect.

jmBoekestein
07-07-2005, 09:11 PM
I haven't noticed an increase in the height of weeds here no, that could be the greenhouse effect yes. I heard a while back that people seem to think the greenhouse effect is actually a natural occurance, that the earth has been warming up and cooling down for ages. Seems logical since everything else happens in some sort of flux. It could very well be having an effect. And it would still be natural. But I'm quite sure poisoning had a profound effect on animal populatoions in a lot of ecosystems. Well we're a bit off topic, but it sure is interesting matter.
I hope someone will be taking photographs when they hatch from their cocoons :), that would be quite the sight. :D

madart
07-07-2005, 09:41 PM
Yes, I'm not sure either about the green house effect, probably noone knows.. Yes it is a bit off topic, but interesting yeah...:) Thanks for all the info on caterpillars Boekestein!

Come on everyone, more photos, if you see anything like that! Or drawings for that matter!

CGTalk Moderation
07-07-2005, 09:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.