PDA

View Full Version : Best way to model character?

booker21
06-28-2005, 05:49 AM
hi, this is my first post!...
I`m also a noob, so far i made a few scene but nothing out of this world like the stuff i saw, so i`ll be here very often asking very stupid question, for sure.. so i apologies for that in advance.

Anyways, i`m starting a new model and this is my first dressed character (yeah, the other one was naked).

Basically i`m not sure what i should do, i was thinking of doing his body and cloth all with the same object and then do appart the accesoreis, gun, granade, helmet, etc.

What would you guys recommend me?

I was thinking of a swat character, so if someone knows where i can get some blueprints will be great!.

Thanks and sorry for the dumb question.

Opelfruits
06-28-2005, 09:52 AM
hold your horses, your getting a little bit ahead of yourself, its good to have ambition but you would be better off doing some simple tutorials first.

herbicide
06-28-2005, 10:33 AM
Don't just jump in straight away, you'll be disappointed by the results.

(Whatever app your'e using)

1 - mess around: start off with a primitive and just make something, preferably using as many options as possible (Bevel, Extrude, Bridge etc)

2 - When you have a hang of the controls, do some tutorials.

If you've already done so, I wish you luck, and try looking for counterstrike models, as that has a SWAT type character choice.

booker21
06-28-2005, 02:56 PM
Sorry, im considering a newbie, but i already did all that.
I already did a Human character but it was naked, so i dont feel it will be that imposible, i think.

I just want to know how you guys will deal with it?, do the body with the cloth on and then do the accesories apart, or do only the body and cloth apart?..

Btw im going for a Low poly model, so it wont be that hard..

digital19
06-28-2005, 04:09 PM
Low poly?
Model the clothes as part of the body.

Mayan Escalante's videos on Gnomon are very good:
http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/dvds/mes02.html

booker21
06-28-2005, 05:40 PM
I was thinking of modeling cloth with boddy but leave the gun, granades and maybe radio or some stuff like that to do it as another element, what do you think?

CoolDuck
06-29-2005, 05:53 PM
Learn to model with good edge loops. (Topology)
One of the most important things for characters.

And study anatomy!

Like the rest already said, practice the tools until you master them, or feel comfortable with it. The tools should not be a restriction to your modeling process.
When you model, always start from a design, start simple, blocking out first. Don't put detail too early. Just keep observing your model, and pay attention to the topology (how certain muscles flow).

Good luck!

Opelfruits
06-29-2005, 06:24 PM
When you model, always start from a design, start simple, blocking out first. Don't put detail too early. Just keep observing your model, and pay attention to the topology (how certain muscles flow).

for a bigginner yes i would recommend box modelling, but i find it easier to get better topology if you put the detail in first. and if your making a low poly model it wouldnt be very dense anyway.

StephanD
06-30-2005, 12:35 PM
for a bigginner yes i would recommend box modelling, but i find it easier to get better topology if you put the detail in first. and if your making a low poly model it wouldnt be very dense anyway.

That depends what you mean by that.

Some people would argue that the best way is to cut your own detail in on a solid box base while others will say that extruding edges around will define the loops faster and better.

I personally use every method I can think of or imagine.From boxmodeling,polybpoly,Edge extrude and splines...and even,and especially, more.

Opelfruits
06-30-2005, 12:44 PM
i have tired boxmodelling heads and i havnt had any luck at all, people say that box modelling helps you get the proportions down before you start putting in the detail but its not hard to adjust the proportions of a dense mesh, this is where lattices are your best friend.

sometimes i model semi poly by poly, occasionally i make a wider edge loop with the intention to cut into it. buy on the whole i put the detail in right from the beginning.

if you like to box model then i dont have a problem with this at all, its just not for me.

StephanD
06-30-2005, 01:12 PM
Hey,I get you.

My point is just not to stick with only one method,that helps alot.

booker21
06-30-2005, 03:08 PM
Im really confuse.

about the terminology of modeling.

So far i believe i only know 1 way to model, that is Box modeling, where u create a box and start extruding thei legs, arms, hands etc and then u move the vertex to make the body looks like a body, then u connect the edges to add more poly and give more detail etc..

What other techniques are available and if u can describe them ill apreciate.

At the same time when im modeling im wondering if im doing right, what i mean is... there are several path to reach 1 point, and how a noob like me know if that is the way to go?.

Example..

Im making Gun, MP5 model, my first try was doing a box and start doing the layout, i mean the siluete of the gun.. you know, moving vertex to reach the diagram of the gun, but then i realize it will be a pain to add detail to that, so i decidie to divide the gun and start doing the part separately, example, canon, magazine,etc.. and then attach all the parts.

My question is.. how do i know if im doing how is suppouse to do it? i dont want to learn the bad way.

Other example is... to make clear what im talking about is.. how do i know when i should extrude and then give it form or i should creat a new object and attach to them?.

Both roads take me to the same place and on the rendering scene the result is the same...

that is what is bothering me lately... i dont know if im modeling on the right way.

Opelfruits
06-30-2005, 03:26 PM
At the same time when im modeling im wondering if im doing right, what i mean is... there are several path to reach 1 point, and how a noob like me know if that is the way to go?.

there is no "right way" to model something, the end result is all that counts

box modelling - you start with a box and hack it to bits (you go from low detail to high detail)

poly by poly - you start with a single polygon, you can extrude the edges or add another poly with the add polygons tool etc. its up to you how you extend the surface. (you start with high detail)

different objects require you to model in different ways, for organic modelling poly by poly suits me best

if i was going to model a glass or something like this then i would use nurbs, and maybe convert to polys if you need to.

you just have to figure out what method suits you best for each situation. you might even feel the need to start box modelling and make parts of it poly by poly.

good luck

CGTalk Moderation
06-30-2005, 03:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.