PDA

View Full Version : 2-MINUTE FILM CLUB!THE BIGCHASE: Valerio S. (Live action)

ZaKKoS
06-28-2005, 03:52 AM
[EDIT]

Plot: A person (a cop? a thug?) irrupt in the place where members of a gang are doing their dirty affairs, he shoot to one of them but another one escapes, at this point begin a chase between the two through the street of the city but in the end...

Time: 48hr (including lunches)

Software Video: Final Cut Pro, After Effects

Links (http://www.cgtalk.com/showpost.php?p=2465561&postcount=67)

----------------------------------------------
Ok, until this night (5:39am is the time here now) i thought that I couldn't join this challenge due to school exams and lack of crew/materials:sad: but I managed to get everything, at least on paper!:rolleyes: So now i go to bed but probably later today i will post something. I know time is against me but i'm positive. I (we) will make it anyway so when it will be finished i'll post it here in or out the challenge (i really hope "in"). Ok i'm really tired now, excuse me if I have made errors :) good night or day it depends on where you are!
Updates will come soon.:thumbsup:

ZaKKoS
06-28-2005, 09:05 PM
well...here we go!

1) Plot:

A thug irrupt in the place where members from the rival group are doing their dirty affairs, he shoot to one of them but another one escapes, at this point begin a chase between the two "bad guys" through the street of the city but in the end...

-------------------------------------------------------

Ok, this time my role will be the DP/director (with my friend)/actor (the thug)
We thought it with a cold feel with blue/green/grey tones
In some scene i will use a very fast shutter speed to give to the video a "fast" look (like on save private ryan)

all this things are just a pre-pre-production bunch of ideas so probably during the pre-production stage they will be modified...for now that's all...

Tell me what you think ;)

archerx
06-29-2005, 08:06 PM
good luck man, can't wait to see some wips!

ZaKKoS
06-30-2005, 01:13 PM
Thanks archerx, I saw the viewport preview you posted and it looks really cool. I'm impatient to see the characters! They're really neat :)

2) pre-production: storyboard/fundrising/materials finding

I've started making the storyboard which i'll post here when it will be finished. Since I suck at drawing I'm the only one who will understand it (not really useful uh?).
But before the other crew members have to approve that ;)

Yesterday we got the materials (well only a part to be honest) and a fresnel is already dead...we got a lot of redhead but no baby stands. Also we don't have a tripod (how we will do it is a mistery).

ZaKKoS
07-10-2005, 01:30 PM
very bad day...we planned to do the shots today but:

All the material was rented by other people that didn't return them in time. They don't answer the mobile.:argh:

Rainy morning, though now there is a bright summer sun. But we don't have the material! :sad:

Someone forgot to buy minidv. :D

Someone else forgot to inform one of the crew members that we were not shooting because of the weather :blush: poor girl... (my fault...)

Hope to do it tomorrow...

We will never finish it...:cry::cry::cry:

archerx
07-10-2005, 03:34 PM
don't lose hope man, i always say everything happens for a reason, so who knows maybe tomorrow will be an even better day!

ZaKKoS
07-11-2005, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the kind words man. Let's see what happens next...:bounce:

RobertoOrtiz
07-12-2005, 09:21 PM
Well the voting thread goes up next Monday.

Looking forward to your work.

-R

ZaKKoS
07-13-2005, 01:09 PM
UPDATE!UPDATE!UPDATE!

Monday we have shooted all the scenes (like Archer said it has been a beautiful day). Yesterday we have done the editing. I haven't slept for 3 days :)

Now we will make the final tweaking and then i'll submit it.

ZaKKoS
07-13-2005, 05:58 PM
rendering...

...and then audio editing.

I will post 2 files. one at full resolution and another one which is lighter. Please consider the one at full resolution for voting and the other one only if you can't download the first or if you want a preview.

ZaKKoS
07-14-2005, 12:21 AM
Well I say this at "mezza voce" (half voice).

I've put the low res version at my website. I put here the link to the version select page (though only the low res version is available).

If you can't wait download it but tomorrow i will put the high res version online. To download it stop the browser loading and save from the "file" menu. To watch it...well...wait until the download is finished!

>> version select page (http://www.lavendettadimanno.com/cgtalk/) <<

I want to point out that on this short have worked many people and that i've signed it only because I'm the only one that is registered here. I want to thank them a lot. Without them this work couldn't be done.

Daniele Manca - Codirector, editor, actor (the pursued), generic help (on everything from the screenwriting to the music selection).
Marco Torti - Actor (the last one), lended some locations.
Alessio Mannone - Actor (the first you see).
Elena Fonti - She drove the car.

and just for you to know (on who blame):
Valerio Sacchetto (Me) - Codirector, help editor, actor (the pursuer), D.o.p., screenwriter, composer:rolleyes:

ZaKKoS
07-14-2005, 03:34 PM
ok i have uploaded the "dino" file. Here I put the direct link to both because in IE you can't do what i said before...Please watch it fullscreen and then comment it!

>> THE BIG CHASE << (http://www.lavendettadimanno.com/cgtalk/VALERIO_S_2MINUTE_FILM_CLUB%28720x360%29.mov)

small (360x180) 49Mb (http://www.lavendettadimanno.com/cgtalk/VALERIO_S_2MINUTE_FILM_CLUB%28360x180%29.mov)

igorsandman
07-15-2005, 02:09 PM
Hey,

I just whatched your film. I love it. Now that's self derision! haha! And it's very dynamic. Good job.
I wish you luck.
-IS-

ZaKKoS
07-15-2005, 02:17 PM
Thanks Igor, I saw your right now ^^ You've done a good job with grading and the music is also well selected! Now i rewrite this in your thread ;)

and then i go watch sergio's

stevesherrin
07-15-2005, 08:43 PM
Great cinematography! Wish I had the film skills you have. Puts me in mind of Run Lola Run, with an amuzing twist. Great Job!

RobertoOrtiz
07-16-2005, 05:21 PM
First I would like to thank Samuel Kvaalen for coding this voting page and hosting it.

Go >>HERE<< (http://kvaalen.com/cgtalk/2minfilm/enter.php?num=5) and post your infromation if you want your animation to be part of the voting on Monday night.

Just FILL ONE of the entries and press SUBMIT at the end.

-R

ZaKKoS
07-16-2005, 07:05 PM
Great cinematography! Wish I had the film skills you have. Puts me in mind of Run Lola Run, with an amuzing twist. Great Job!

Thanks a lot steve, your comment is like a breath of fresh air to me because I'm a lot into cinematography and reading that someone liked the way I did everything breaks some tension!

I forgot to mention that all the materials (camera/lights/Mac/software/place to edit) was kindly lended to us by "progetto atelier" (http://www.progettoatelier.it/)

archerx
07-16-2005, 08:06 PM
i loved this one! especially the ending. great work !

stepington
07-16-2005, 11:10 PM
Just watched your flick - great fun! I'm gonna go check out marathon man now. . . .:thumbsup:

ZaKKoS
07-17-2005, 12:30 PM
thank steph!
Probably you will see some similar parts and also the acting, directing, photography will be pretty the same...:rolleyes:
Ok who am i fooling? ;)
I hope to see yours anyway:thumbsup:

RobertoOrtiz
07-18-2005, 01:12 AM
2M FILMCLUB MONDAY VOTING PAGE (POST HERE If you want to be included!) (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=259259) -R

supermd
07-18-2005, 04:57 PM
Congratulations! Great job. Great interpretation... http://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

ZaKKoS
07-18-2005, 08:40 PM
let me introduce you Daniele
All the things he wrote under his nick are false (except for the city):twisted: and "carrello" means "shopping cart"
Jokes apart he is the pursued guy and most important he is the editor :applause::applause:

sergioKomic
07-20-2005, 11:22 AM
Good idea nice cinematography , but the actors dont convince for one moment, (IMHO)

If you were chased by a guy w a gun you would run like hell....

Maybe if you had worked more on it, it would shine....
Still good stuff in the movie!

Keep it up:bounce:

ZaKKoS
07-20-2005, 11:55 AM
Good idea nice cinematography , but the actors dont convince for one moment, (IMHO)

If you were chased by a guy w a gun you would run like hell....

Maybe if you had worked more on it, it would shine....

I know but it's not our fault...it's that we don't have "le physique du role". The day after the shot we were all broken, aching everywhere...:p:argh:

Eh eh eh thanks anyway next time we hope to get some true actors!

Wolfmonster
07-20-2005, 05:16 PM
Yea, the actors weren't really convincing, they just lacked expression on the face. If my bud just got shot in the face, I would look pretty freaked out, not just turn my head and start running. Also the guy getting shot, and correct me if I'm wrong, but his eyes don't seem to look up at the guy that shoots him the entire time. I noticed both of these things the first time I watched it through. The guy shooting did very well.
This one was shot and edited together very nicely. The footage looked good, and the ending was the best! Bravo to the people that made this short!!

ZaKKoS
07-20-2005, 07:22 PM
Yea, the actors weren't really convincing, they just lacked expression on the face. If my bud just got shot in the face, I would look pretty freaked out, not just turn my head and start running. Also the guy getting shot, and correct me if I'm wrong, but his eyes don't seem to look up at the guy that shoots him the entire time.

You're not only right you're absolutely right! He's not looking at me...he's not looking at all!
I've updated the page i've dedicated to this short on my site. There you can find some fun facts about it and one of these is that one of Alessio not looking. You can also find a lot of grammar errors :D
http://www.lavendettadimanno.com/cgtalk

The guy shooting did very well.
I'm that guy so I thank you directly

This one was shot and edited together very nicely.
The footage looked good, and the ending was the best! Bravo to the people that made this short!!
Thank you Karl, this time from all of us! As I have already said these comments/critics are very appreciated. It's a good feeling to hear such things.

jammin
07-21-2005, 05:55 AM
hey ZaKKoS, nice job man!

you built up a lot of anticipation but i didn't feel like you used it very well. i felt kinda let down by the ending (kinda like the whole 'i woke up and it was all a dream' thing).

i missed your storyboards and that film grain and fast shutter thing you were going for. there are also some times when the guy being chased seems like he's lost the guy with the gun and then in the next shot or so, he's right behind him again.

i wonder if you did this on purpose -to support the guys reaction to the movie? because over all, your shots seemed well laid out and your cuts and their timing seem to flow. you obviously did a lot of work, told your story and made the deadline (something many of us cannot say) so i give you a :thumbsup:

ben

ZaKKoS
07-21-2005, 04:26 PM
hey ZaKKoS, nice job man!

you built up a lot of anticipation but i didn't feel like you used it very well. i felt kinda let down by the ending (kinda like the whole 'i woke up and it was all a dream' thing).

We were aware of that. The ending you saw in the released version is not the original we thought, it came to our mind during the shooting, we saw all the difficulties we found and what we have thought was "this movie can't become good". The rest is history.
Although the first one was not so exciting. We knew we hadn't a strong story so we focused on the look and on a funny ending but I assure you that we still have put all our efforts in it.

i missed your storyboards and that film grain and fast shutter thing you were going for.

I made the storyboard but since i can't draw it's just a bunch of lines which I barely understand myself. If you want i can scan it.

Fast shutter scenes were shooted but they didn't add or remove anything to the story. I can grab them and put online if someone ask for them. It's an interesting effect but simply didn't fitted in this short. At least I have learned something (which is the spirit I had when I decided to participate).

Film grain. Well this is a way of life: You get film grain when you shoot on film. You get the film look when you shoot on film. If you shoot on video you can get an astounding video (better than bad film) but not a thing that looks like it was shooted on another medium. This is how i see things so i don't look for a film feature on video.
p.s. this was not an attack on you!! I thought that this was a good occasion to tell my point of view also because a lot of people think that their products are bad because they are shooted on video. The truth is that if you know what to do you will end with a good product anyway.
p.p.s. I prefer to shoot on film :D

there are also some times when the guy being chased seems like he's lost the guy with the gun and then in the next shot or so, he's right behind him again.

i wonder if you did this on purpose -to support the guys reaction to the movie? because over all, your shots seemed well laid out and your cuts and their timing seem to flow. you obviously did a lot of work, told your story and made the deadline (something many of us cannot say) so i give you a :thumbsup:

ben

You've got another weak point. :applause: in those scenes we were only two. One at the camera and the other one running. We managed to cut the part behind Daniele during the editing so you may think that i'm right behind him but you don't see me. All those weakness leaded to the actual ending.
Our models were those pesky tv-movie that you find mostly on saturday afternoon and particularly during summer. I think German and Italian people understand me well but I think that there are similar things all around the world!

Thanks jammin for criticizing this. I'll keep all of these for the future!:thumbsup:

jammin
07-21-2005, 07:27 PM
i apologize if it wasn't constructive criticizm. i certainly didn't mean to put you on the defensive! i was just, as an average (perhaps typical) viewer, sharing some of my observations.

peez

ZaKKoS
07-21-2005, 07:35 PM
No jammin you don't have to apologize, or you misunderstood or more easily i said something in a bad manner!
I have appreciated your critics, really!

You also said things like:
"hey ZaKKoS, nice job man!"
and:
"your shots seemed well laid out and your cuts and their timing seem to flow"
which I liked ;)

I'm always happy to discuss works from me and from other people and I try always to share what I know so when it's my work I can tell the behind the scenes (that sometimes looks like excuses) but by doing so other people can feel the way I feel and know the problems and solutions I have found.

I apologize if I've said something in the wrong way but it's endemic to me as I'm not a native english speaker.

ZaKKoS
07-26-2005, 02:28 PM
Temporary solution
www.supermd.it/cgtalk (http://www.supermd.it/cgtalk)

please download the small version (360x180 49Mb QT sorenson 3)

RobertoOrtiz
07-27-2005, 01:35 PM
Just wanted to personally invite you to join:

2-MINUTE FILM CLUB!:Challenge:2 "The fight" (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=261978)

-R

ZaKKoS
07-29-2005, 02:20 AM
Well I don't think we will participate this time. Anyway I said that I will have posted something to thank all of you and here it is. Enjoy!

>>ringraziamenti<< (www.supermd.it/cgtalk/ringraziamenti.mov)

stevesherrin
08-02-2005, 10:53 PM
Again, my hat's off to you! Wonderful job!

ZaKKoS
08-06-2005, 01:48 AM
Thank you stephen, I hope to see you in another challenge! :thumbsup:
I watched your m&s work: pretty good!

CGTalk Moderation
08-06-2005, 01:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.