PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Rotation.

rob-beddall
06-28-2005, 04:49 AM
Hey!!

I have been trying to learn zbrush. most things are going ok so far.
the only problem i have is rotating the model while in edit mode.
as i'm used to MAX, whe i try to rotate somethign in Zbrush it just seems to act completely randomly.
is there a knack for getting something to rotate the way you want it?
i only ever seem to be able to rotate in 2 axis. and spin turns the model in the same 2 axis.
although i can't manually rotate in the third axis, Zbrush seems to like nudging it gradually in that axis, and then i can't get it back. sometimes the Shift-drag will allow me to get it straight. but sometimes it just likes to annoy me and have a mind of it's own.

How do i tame this wild rotational beast?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers!!

Eddie_rossi
06-28-2005, 06:42 AM
I got zbrush today... It's a little confusing at first but I got the hang of modeling with it, yeah the rotation is a little weird but I think it just needs some getting used too.. maby there's a key you hold down to lock all directions but one, so you can spin it in one direction, but I haven't figured it out yet! :) , you figure out how to render something and actually get a bitmap out of it?

rob-beddall
06-28-2005, 06:53 AM
hey!!

in answer to your question....no, sorry.
i'm only using it to create hi-poly models for normal mapping game stuff.

cheers!!

Eddie_rossi
06-28-2005, 06:54 AM
Kewl, what kinda game, what's the normal program you use?

rob-beddall
06-28-2005, 06:57 AM
hey!!

they are not for any actual game. just game characters in general.
i've been using max for the normal maps but if i can get this to work then i might start using zbrush to create them.
i'll need to see how good it is at doing them first.

cheers!!

TVeyes
06-28-2005, 11:00 AM
Check the Zbrush Help for how to manipulate your model. Look under Zbrush Essentials > Hotkeys & Mouse Actions(PDF) for the various modifier+mouse combos.

Are you using the transformation Gyro to rotate or are you rotating in Edit mode? The Help file also contains some zscript tutorials on transformations. Look under Modeling 3D Objects > Transformations (Basic) and Modeling 3D Objects > Transformations in Edit Mode.

Eddie_rossi
06-28-2005, 06:57 PM
Thanks... I tried the help before and it's very hard to find stuff.

TVeyes
06-28-2005, 07:41 PM
Your welcome. I would highly recommend reading through all the help topics if you have the time and if a topic peaks your interest also run the Zscript tutorial (if available). At the very least read through the Zbrush Esssentials and also the first chapters of the practical guide to get a good idea of ZBrush. Hopefully more specific topics will then be easy to look up under Modeling 3D Objects, if you are interested in modeling and Painting & Rendering, if you are interested in creating and rendering a scene in ZBrush.

I am just talking in general here as I am sure you both have read much of the above topics.

Have fun.:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
06-28-2005, 07:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.