PDA

View Full Version : Two questions

ashe
06-28-2005, 01:35 AM
Hello, i have two questions. First off, I was just what messing around with a bodymesh i imported from 3dmax into zbrush. I like what ive done to it . The only thing im confused about is the mesh is sculped and i didnt unwrap it in 3dmax before i sent it to zbrush. Can anyone tell me if there is way to export the mesh back to max unwrap it there and then import it back to zbrush and still keep my sculped displacements?

My other question is the body mesh is headless. I do want to put a head on it, i dunno if i should do the head in zbrush or max. I would appreciate if someone could help me out with these two issues.

Thanks

ashe
06-28-2005, 10:39 PM
any ideas?

erebos
06-28-2005, 11:48 PM
regarding the first question, if you've already modelled displacement into the model in zbrush, then wouldn't you have had to already unwrap it (even using Zbrush tiling) in order to create the displacement map? If you have, then you can create a second uv set in max and as the underlying topology is the same, then that's a non issue. However, if you have added extra detail to the actaul mesh and not a disp map, then you can either export this model back into max or alternatively unwrap it in zbrush, the proper way or with tiling (search for tutorials on that, there are plenty).

regarding the second question, there are probably a dozen schools of thought on that, but to me, if i want to animate a head, i like to model it in xsi first to get a good topology and basic shape. then i import it into zbrush and add all the extra details onto the mesh i went. Then i send it back to xsi to clean up the topology and prepare it for rigging and animation. Finally i have the model back in zbrush to create a displacement map for.

Just my workflow though.

Cheers,
Erebos

ashe
06-29-2005, 05:41 AM
How do you unwrap it in zbrush manually? The only things there i see is cylinder,tile,etc. I also didnt make a displace map for it, but i did sculp into it. What i want to know it can i straighten out the uv in max, then import it back into zbrush, and still maintain my sculped details?

Micro26
06-29-2005, 04:59 PM
ashe hi,
zbrush has not unwarping tools like the ones in max. It has those(classic) options u said like planar spherical etc. It also has automated uvs, the auv and guv(u can find info about them in the help menu).
Usually u model,apply uvs(zbrush or else) and then detail and extract the maps(normals,disps).

U could apply uvs in max and then reimport the mesh(tool) back in z by selecting your sculpted mesh(switch to subd level1 ) and theres an import tab from the tool palette.
Your two meshes must have the same number of vertices to make the switch.
:)

ashe
06-30-2005, 04:26 AM
Thanks a lot guys i think i got the hang of it now. Zbrush is pretty damn cool.

CGTalk Moderation
06-30-2005, 04:27 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.