PDA

View Full Version : Key Mapping Questions

FlexGiddy
06-27-2005, 05:42 PM
I have just recently started using XSI....and I must say there are a few very sexy features. Anyway, I'm transferring over from using Max and Maya (still using them though). Well I was told by a few friends that you can't change the keyboard short cuts as easily as you can in Max and Maya. Is this true? I haven't done it yet because I don't know how (yet)....well that and I just started so I am trying to figure out why the people of Softimage created the keyboard shortcuts they did.

Ed

*EDIT* I'm asking because it's killing me that my space bar doesn't max\min my viewports.....:rolleyes:

Nakary
06-27-2005, 06:16 PM
Hey Flex.

Sure you can map your keyboard almost to whatever commands you want. The first BAD thing, considering you come from MAYA, is that you CAN NOT MAP THE ALT KEY, that means you would have to navigate with the default (S) key, which I am getting used to, but still find it awfull...
Under preferences, camera, make your you have the @use alternative mouse mapping@ on, that would make your mouse to behave like MAYA;s. Whis is great.

About the spacebar issue... go to. Appliclation, keymap... find the XSI settings and map the *MAximize / Restore current viewport* to the spacebar and voila...

I dont have XSI on this computer so I am sorry I can not guide you better, anyways, hope it helps.

Regards.

Ablefish
06-27-2005, 07:23 PM
While I understand the pain of moving between packages- don't be too hasty - spacebar is great for dropping out of a tool and out of a component selection filter and the Alt key is used as a modifier for a LOT of tools/commands in XSI, not the least of which being the temporary pivot control.

JDex
06-27-2005, 08:21 PM
I agree w/ JP... do yourself the service of spending some time with the core hotkey setup as you progress w/ XSI. It is very intuitive and well worked out... everyone for the most part does some hotkey customization, but the core navigation, modeling, and system key configurations have a very good flow once you get the hang of them...

Don't try to make XSI like your old app, you'll only run in circles.

Splin
06-27-2005, 08:40 PM
Don't try to make XSI like your old app, you'll only run in circles.

Totally agree with you! In some extent I could say that I understand you Flex Giddy fairly well. With me was it also so that XSI became after Maya. First I critizied how weird shortcuts XSI had compared to maya etc. But after some experience I really started to like even default configuration, it is pretty well straight forward as JDex put it. While now after some months I dont need to throw a view to keyboard for finding the right key for basic operations...fingertips know what is where. And once so far, whole workflow feels a bit more fluent since you have more control...

just my 2 cents

ThePumpkinKing
07-11-2005, 12:08 AM
Okay, I have a question, as long as this is a thread about hotkeys: What is the name of the "Set Edge Crease Value" tool in the Key Mapping box. I can't find it!

CGTalk Moderation
07-11-2005, 12:08 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.