PDA

View Full Version : Burne Hogarth and Bart Sears

KBOC
06-27-2005, 06:45 AM
Back in the day... (early 90s) when I truly decided to teach myself how to draw properly, I happened upon a wonderful little series in Wizard Magazine by Bart Sears called "Brutes and Babes"

Now, I've since lost my collection, which I kept expressly because of that series, and I wish to god I still had it because of the elegant simplicity of it.

If anyone has any kind of link to a source for it, I'd appreciate it.

But I also received a couple of PMs for info on Hogarth's methodology for Drawing. One of the most invaluable resources I have was Burne Hogarth's Dynamic Figure Drawing, in which Hogarth shows how he adapted Michaelangelo's sculpting technique to figure drawing... which has since become standardized for anyone drawing comics.

Hogarth's entire series can easily be found. However, Hogarth's books are not simple... for a beginning penciller, I'd like to be able to recomend that series by Bart Sears...

So if anyone has a source... please post it :D

IanG
06-27-2005, 07:57 AM
Take a look here:

http://store.yahoo.com/wizarduniverse/jan052345z.html

It's a book containing some of the stuff from Wizard magazines

KBOC
06-27-2005, 08:18 AM
LMAO! I knew SOMEONE would come up with something... didn't think it would be this fast!

Just ordered it... hopefully it's in there, and from the description, it's very likely it is.

Thank you!

metroeast
06-27-2005, 09:07 AM
Hey I remember Brutes and Babes! It was a great intro to comic art. Bart would breakdown anatomy, lighting, and perspective once a month. Once he stopped, they tried to get other artists involved but no one could keep the readers interest like Bart. Very clean work. If you want to see samples of his work you can pick up an old issue of Wizard or the comic "XO Man of War (Valiant Comics).

All that said about Bart, Hogarth was the legend. So many artists have studied under him or read his books. I can't imagine a comic artist not familiar with his stuff.

KBOC
06-27-2005, 04:44 PM
If I remember correctly, Sears called his figure drawing method the "Potato Stack"

I'm very surprised by how few have heard of it. Your assessment of it is exactly as I remember it, clean, simple, easy to understand and to use as a tool to help build skill with a pencil. Best intro to figure drawing I ever saw.

Sil3
06-27-2005, 05:19 PM
Hey I remember Brutes and Babes! It was a great intro to comic art. Bart would breakdown anatomy, lighting, and perspective once a month. Once he stopped, they tried to get other artists involved but no one could keep the readers interest like Bart.

Really? Because i think that Greg Cappulo stuff was a lot more interesting than Bart ;)

CGTalk Moderation
06-27-2005, 05:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.