PDA

View Full Version : Level art for an RTS...

marque-pierre
06-26-2005, 12:20 AM
Hi there,

Got a freelance contract to produce art for a medieval action puzzle game. I suppose the art will closely resemble what you would find in your run of the mill RTS. Does anybody here have experience making such stuff?

It seems that at every turn I have to keep asking myself, whether to make this or that in 3D or 2D. It seems the workflow is very much a balance between these two. Like make something that looks bearable in 3D, then touch it up in 2D, and produce the sprite from there...

Shore
06-26-2005, 11:34 AM
Dont you have any concepts to work from? Also what type of rts is it? massive scale warfare like rome, or smaller like c&c? c&c generals was mainly fully 3d, simple 3d, but still 3d and thats quite old now.

Neox
06-26-2005, 11:49 AM
well this all depends on the engine specs and gameplay, are you able to turn the camera? then you have to do more, are able to zoom down and look up? then you again have to do way more work...

oh and yould you pleaaaasssseee use another antialiasing method for the pictures on your homepage? i think i'm crosseyed when looking on them, they are way to blurry

marque-pierre
06-26-2005, 01:31 PM
Well, this is a small company consisting of some ex-industry coders. I think they worked on City of Heroes, who are trying their hand at indie games released and sold over the net. So I am pretty much... the art department. Don't think there would be work enough for more people in this title I am working on. Such projects are many on the net, but this paid! Like cash up front and all + royalties. Still can't believe it... Anyway compared to the first title they did it shouldn't be too hard improving on the art, but I want it to really shine. You know something more than what would impress a programmer... But as such there are no art direction or concepts beyond: make a castle!

It is from a fixed perspective in a 2D engine. The suggestion was to make it pure top down, but do you have any idea how hard it is to make things look good in pure top down perspective?

NEOX: Sorry about that. What AA is it that you are talking about? And if you have suggestions on how to improve things, I'd be happy to hear them...

Neox
06-26-2005, 01:40 PM
are you using max? then you can change the antialiasing method in the render options, just take catmull-rom and everything is fine, or at least try to shgarpen it up in Photoshop using the unsharp mask tool, but currently it (at least for me) is a pain to look at because everything is soo blurred

marque-pierre
06-26-2005, 01:50 PM
Hmmm. I never ever considered this before now! I suppose saving your renders as jpegs doesn't exactly help either...:eek:

Neox
06-26-2005, 01:54 PM
I save my images in jpgs, that shouldn't be such a problem as long as you don't compress them too hard. but absicly i'm rendering them to tga and then convert them with photoshop to jpegs (save for web) to see how it will look in the end. If the image has limeted colors i'd use gif instead it has a nice crisp look...

CGTalk Moderation
06-26-2005, 01:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.