PDA

View Full Version : modo to xsi import issues

erebos
06-25-2005, 04:42 AM
I've been playing around with the modo trial and so after creating a pretty simple model in modo, i wanted to import it into xsi. I've tried several different permutations, but basically I tried to export a simple single layer polygon mesh from modo using the OBJ standard. When i try to import it into xsi, nothing happens and the script editor records the following error:

ERROR : 2000-ObjImport - Unhandled exception in custom command. - [line 400 in C:\Softimage\XSI_4.0\Application\DSScripts\importexport.vbs]
ObjImport

I've never had issues importing OBJ files before (I use Zbrush) and just to make sure, I imported the OBJ from modo into zbrush and that was fine, but then when i exported from zbrush and into xsi, it still spat out the same error.

This is probably an xsi error but has anyone had similar problems before? THere wasn't anything special in the model and I don't think i fudged any settings.

any ideas?

Thanks,
Erebos

erebos
06-25-2005, 02:51 PM
okay, so after several hours of frustrating problem solving, I've narrowed down the issue i'm having. The problem seems to only occur after i use the "merge" tool from the vertex menu (what i see as the equivalent of weld from xsi), now weld is an useful tool which i use a lot, so do other people face this problem as well? is there a workaround? I'd really hate to give up on modo just because of a random bug.

Cheers
Erebos

yog
06-25-2005, 06:30 PM
Sounds like the merge tool is creating 1 or more likely two point polygons. This isn't a problem for Modo or LW (Sometimes it's desirable), but XSI just wont be able to handle them.
Have a look for them in Modo's statistics window, then just delete them.

erebos
06-26-2005, 12:46 AM
thankyou yog! you've saved me another day of tears, pain and howling at the moon. I think i spend about three hours trying to isolate the problem and then about another 2 trying to fix it. thanks a heap!

btw. your sig suggests a scrubs fan:thumbsup: .. could be wrong though

Cheers,
Erebos

CGTalk Moderation
06-26-2005, 12:46 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.