PDA

View Full Version : Cityscapes

kizoku
06-24-2005, 11:35 PM
I wanna build a HUGE city in VUE, is it possible and if so, how do I do it? When I say city, I mean something like the one in the movie Appleseed 2004. Big and futuristic that is.

Dale B
06-25-2005, 10:21 AM
It depends on which version of Vue you have. If you have Vue Infinite, the easiest way is to hop over to Renderosity, go to the freebies, and do a search for Dystopia. This is a series of cityscape modules that Mobius 87 started a few years back. They come in Lightwave, Obj, and Poser specific formats. The first 20 blocks are in freestuff; the other 40 are in the marketplace in 10 block packages. These are the city blocks that Phoul used in the Vue Infinite demo reel. Just import them, convert them to Vue .vob files, and use them in the Ecosystem routine.

Earlier versions of Vue are more problematic; they haven't the memory management or instancing that Infinite has, so you will run into the wall fairly quickly regarding memory limitations.

kizoku
06-26-2005, 03:53 PM
There was only poser-files there when I made the search :P

Dale B
06-27-2005, 01:44 AM
True, but you get the .obj files, in addition to the cr2\pp2 files, and the textures. The lightwave files are only available in the marketplace, though. The only real info in the poser specific files have to do with texture placement, and the location of the block in reference to world center, and you can apply the textures manually; in fact in Vue this is even better. You can use Vue glowing materials for the streetlights and windows in the buildings.

BernieS
06-27-2005, 06:33 AM
You can also download the lwo files and textures (blocks 1 - 20) for free from here:

http://www.axeman3d.com/models7.htm

Regards,

Bernie

kizoku
06-28-2005, 08:58 PM
Thing is, that I'm a Maya-user :(

Megalodon
06-30-2005, 05:31 AM
Maya doesn't import OBJ's? And if so, what's the problem that OBJ's don't work?

Megalodon

kizoku
06-30-2005, 06:33 PM
I'll test again, maybe I missed something :P

CGTalk Moderation
06-30-2005, 06:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.