PDA

View Full Version : Storyboarding.... digitally?

greyface
06-24-2005, 09:29 PM
Hey movie-makers and others :)... I've heard that a lot of film studios do the storyboarding digitally now, I'd like to ask why... and how? Any advantages with digital storyboarding? I feel much more comfortable with the old ways, in the case of storyboarding, but wouldn't mind switching over if it was more productive.

tufif
06-25-2005, 05:58 PM
The biggest reason is that you can watch it in sequence to check timing. This can be as simple as scanning all of the drawings to change in sequence with how long each shot should be, to as elaborate as what could be seen on the special features section of the incredibles dvd. For animated films it lets you have something visual to record voices to, and also lets you adjust the timing and sequence of the shots to get the flow right before you even render the first frame.

Arkon11
06-25-2005, 11:44 PM
I am making a bigfoot movie right now, and I found a scanner and Macromedia's Flash (which Adobe now owns) very usefull. I didn't have any prior knowledge of flash, but after downloading the trial, and reading up on motion tweens. I was able to make basic, yet effective animated story boards.

You can also use Adobe Premiere (or something similar) to add sound to your story boards to help with dialog timing.

I hope that helped.

lokki
06-26-2005, 01:54 AM
Just for clarification, Adobe's purchase is not final, yet... Macromedia is still actively developing and working on the next releases ;)

As for storyboarding, I also do this in Flash MX2004 Pro, using the slideshow feature and a little timer that I can adjust independantly for each slide. This is an outstanding tool for this kind of work. You can also attach clips to each slide that hold sound, video or other animations. The storyboarding I do, however, is fairly low level... small animations, websites, and organizing presentations.

Given the functionality is similar, I guess you could do something similar with PowerPoint, but you'd have to either scan your sketches or do them in something like Photoshop then import... At any rate, PowerPoint has a timing feature, but it's not as flexible or robust as that in Flash Pro.

Give Flash Pro a try - it supports pressure (from a tablet, e.g., Wacom), and has lots of bulit-in functionality that really comes in handy.

mberrynk
06-27-2005, 02:32 AM
:thumbsup: i'm just wondering if you mean storyboards that are drawn with, for example, a wacom tablet that puts the image right into the computer without any paper at all. The example of the Incredibles is showing animatics, which is a previs step taken from scanning in drawn storyboards. So the boards are still drawn by hand, they do this on live-action films too, check out the return of the king extras for an awesome example. As for boards that are purely digital, i haven't heard of any major studio that doesn't use the hand-drawn type, they're easy to change, rearrange, and sometimes are even created during discussion with the director. But hey, what do i know...

mberrynk
06-27-2005, 02:35 AM
oh yeah, and as someone who has a background in flash, you can definitely use it for animatics (if you can afford it) but there are a lot of other, cheaper programs, such as Quicktime's $30 player that work a lot better

greyface
06-27-2005, 12:50 PM
Thanks a bunch for the responses, I used to use flash a lot, and still have it - but never thought of using it for this! :p

I'll reinstall flash and try that out :)

cheers

Arkon11
06-27-2005, 01:35 PM
Good luck with that.

Zacky
06-27-2005, 07:46 PM
If you want to render drawings to animated mpegs you can use this great proggy:

http://www.videohelp.com/~tin2tin/

CodeNothing
06-28-2005, 04:01 PM
Here at the collective (a video game company) they have EVERYTHING done digitaly. I do all my storyboards on the wacom tablet, and once you know what you are doing it is actualy faster than ink/marker or pencil/charcoal. and also easyer to change. For presentations i would print them out but there are rarely formal presentations here. They just want to see them on screen to e-mail them to the animators.

Brimshenz
07-03-2005, 01:59 PM
the digital storyboarding is important in one way that it is more interactive to the workers in your team. the old way in storyboarding is easier in a way that it is faster and cost effective.

plz dont hesitate to ask more questions
email: syrusvirus@hotmail.com:thumbsup:

itsallgoode9
07-03-2005, 10:39 PM
I personally skip storyboards and do and animatic using quick stills I create in Maya. That's just me though because for drawing, i am very bad at creating conceptual stuff, or stuff that i'm not directly looking at and referencing. So doing in Maya lets me test out more camera angles quickly, than just the one I had in my head. The lack of quality and correctness of my storyboards me them pretty pointless for me to create.

CGTalk Moderation
07-03-2005, 10:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.