PDA

View Full Version : Analytical Thinking

Poopinmymouth
06-24-2005, 09:59 PM
I've had this paper planned for a while, but finally got off my butt and wrote it. This is more of a general advice paper, than a real tutorial, but I enjoyed it and I hope it helps everyone anyway.

http://www.poopinmymouth.com/tutorial/analytical_thinking.htm

and if you want it in pdf format
http://www.poopinmymouth.com/tutorial/analytical_thinking.pdf

bruizar
06-24-2005, 10:28 PM
Very nice piece, I've noticed this effect aswell in the past. I'm a pretty slow learner but occasionally my progress spurts and it are times where I analyze my own behaviour that I notice those spurts. I will try to apply it in more common things in life from now on and see if its going to help me.

Having others critique whatever you are doing also helps a bunch, hence this forum I guess ;)

BobbyKarate
06-25-2005, 12:20 AM
GAY...
People like me because I am punctual and often on time. I like a good pair of slacks. And years later a man will tell you that I have an IQ of 48, which some would refer to as being mentally retarded. Mayonaise.

Wayne Adams
06-25-2005, 02:56 AM
I love lamp

I stabbed a guy in the heart.
I saw that, Brick killled a guy.

Poopinmymouth
06-25-2005, 03:43 AM
What in the world?

I don't really understand your posts animalistic and Wayne. If I didn't know better I'd think you were mocking me for taking the time to try helping the community.

xenoid
06-25-2005, 04:13 AM
Hey Ben thanx a lot for taking your time to share all these with us. I've been following ur tutorials all the while, and this really came out as something very different. Think most pple know what we should be doing, and what we shouldn't in our hearts. Juz that we can't really bring ourselves to really do them or not to do them. Glad that you've found your way of doing things. I'm still searching for mine. :thumbsup:

aesir
06-25-2005, 04:45 AM
You dont watch enough movies if you dont know what theyre talking about poop :)

Why they're posting it here... not really sure.

Wayne Adams
06-25-2005, 05:11 AM
Sorry, ben, I posted that cause animalistic was quoting anchorman.

I'll keep off topic comments out. Hope I didn't offend ya.

obelisk
06-25-2005, 09:29 AM
Thanks PIMM. I'm with you on the talent thing. But I can't help but point out that, while the internet is may things to many people, it's the only place anyone could seriously consider taking self-help advice from a guy called (instructively?) Poopinmymouth.

Keep it rolling fella.

Cheers,

-O

ninjacore
06-25-2005, 05:11 PM
Intresting artcile. Intresting because lately i'v been really getting into thinking and anaylising the way i work . i apply a logical train of thought through everything i do, even if its making a sandwidge or popping into town for something. At work I'v started to constantly assess my work methods and how i'm going about creating stuff. also trying to think about my next step and trying to keep a constant final picture in my mind. I make real life objects all day and i spend a decent amount of time looking at reference pictures and planning out a course of action which will be the quickest and produce a well solid model. same with textureing, i spend a bit of time going through the vast texture and refrence library we have, always trying to find that perfect texture. And anything that i see that i think, hmm, that could be used for this model later, i'll note it down so i remember later. I like to experiment as well, try certain modelling ideas and work out what was best. so far i've made a bunch of things and at the end realised there was probely a better way to do it.

I've also started really analyising how 3d max works and i've found myself starting to dislike it more and more. i have a rant in the 3d max forum here about the awkward selection errors and annoying UV tool gripes.

bruizar
06-25-2005, 06:10 PM
Maybe a bit of a side question, but do you guys create libraries of bodyparts for yourself so that you only need to grab the right bodyparts , attach them and tweak them a bit in order to speed up the process of creating a character or do you start from scratch each time over?
If you do, what polycounts do you prefer to handle?

Thanks

franklyn
06-25-2005, 06:46 PM
hey ben (is it ben?) , thanks a lot for the article i found that i could really relate to many aspects of it especialy what you said about predicting outcomes people dont realise how important it is to analyse the different turns ur project can take. a single color can change the mood of your work indefinitely . thats why i keep every highlight and shadow in a different layer that way you can control each part .i dont think we apply much thought to the steps that we take though. i cant imagine observing the outcomes of every color , shape i use i just go by trial and error relying on what instinct i have. but i guess fileing , recording what works and why it works would be a good idea. also art being nurture as oposed to nature, do you have any evidence for that ? ive often wondered about what makes an artist as for me ive never had any "talent" for it but i dont rule out that it exists because there are people that get it from the first time they touch paper .

RO
06-26-2005, 12:08 AM
I am totally on the other side about talent. I believe every human born has a tendency for something. It could be engineering, art, or whatever.

I started drawing from a very young age and also drew plenty better than many kids my age. I hate to say this but pretty much till I got to college I did not meet anybody who was to my degree of skill. I am not saying I did not work hard at it. But if you do not like to draw at all you’re not going to learn. I believe every person comes with a pre disposed trait of some kind, the key is finding your own traits and using them the best way possible. Some people never find those traits because of many reasons… Family economy, living in a town with no schools, and the list goes on…

I agree that talent does not make people good, but the practice and value of good practice. But if you have a talent for something you’re going to peruse it (unless you have other issues stopping you).

I could find a genius who has analytical thinking to the tenth degree but he will never be able to draw as well as other artists. Firstly you have to like something to do it. If you do not like something you will never be able to get good at it to a high degree.

This is something people have to ask themselves when entering their profession. Do I really like this or am I just entering the graphics realm because it pays well (Which is a load of crap even for professions such as doctors, It takes work to get to the good paying positions). I have seen countless people most likely studying the wrong thing. I have also seen people who absolutely love art and love to do design but they are not great at designing at all. But if you ask them about technical questions in art those people are amazing with explaining how design works and such. Finding your trait and talent is the real important thing. Anything you love you will start thinking of it in more technical form when you get deep into it.

My brother is a computer technician in UPS. He loves what he does. Sometimes he speaks shop to me and I am like Yeah… Yeah…Yeah… OH… < --- Acting like I understood what he said. Getting technical about your work is the right step to improvement after a while… But I am still a firm believer with following what you feel inside more so than thinking everything through. Those are the true surprises of design and art.

marque-pierre
06-26-2005, 12:19 AM
I always like your stuff Poop. Thanks for taking the time to get it together, and for sharing it freely!

CGTalk Moderation
06-26-2005, 12:19 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.