PDA

View Full Version : Mapping a cube/box

moocowfish
06-24-2005, 12:57 PM
Hi i have a newbie question, i need to wrap a single texture like say a dice with numbers onto a cube, ive created the bitmap in photoshop and it resembles a "T" in shape, you know what i mean? When i assign it to my cube it doesnt map correctly, i use the UVW map, and put it on box/cube and it maps my whole image over one face, i would like to get it over all faces at once.
Can anyone help please?
thanks in advance
Rob

frankco
06-26-2005, 01:13 AM
Hi moocowfish,

Here is what I'd do. I'd add six images instead of just one. Here's how.

Divide you picture in Photoshop so you have a picture for each side of the dice. Label them so you can tell what they are.

Go to the material editor and pick a material then click on the Standard button just below the materials. Select Multi/Sub-Object and click discard for the old material when it ask you.

In the Multi/Sub-Object choose the first material and click the button next to the Diffuse color and choose bitmap. Pick the first image for your dice. Click the up arrow, just under the material to navigate back up to the Multi/Sub-Object level.

That material will have an ID of 1. You can set it to anything but just leave it at 1 for now. Now just to see the faces on the dice being added, drag the material on the dice making sure that the whole dice is selected. No pollygons just the dice. Now click the dice and go to pollygon mode. Choose the the pollygon where you want the image to appear.

In the Command panel go down to Pollygon Properties and enter 1 in the Set ID section. You should see the your image appear on the pollygon. Don't worry if you see it on all of the pollygons, we'll fix that later.

Just repeat this for each face. You'll match up your image IDs with the Pollygon IDs. Select another pollygon and set its ID to 2. Go to the Multi/Sub-Object and pick the second material. Make sure its ID is 2 and put another image in its diffuse slot. Work your way around the dice.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.
frankco

moocowfish
06-26-2005, 11:42 PM
thanks for making the effort to do such a detailled reply, im going to give your way a go now.
thanks again
Rob

CGTalk Moderation
06-26-2005, 11:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.