PDA

View Full Version : Concept Game Challenge

cg2005
06-24-2005, 12:03 PM
Hi all, After my 1st game challenge sort of flopped, I thought I'd come up with a new one, and make it as interesting as I can.

This time, I got the idea from worms, so if you want to participate here's what your game should be like.

1) Get a character, any character.
2) Give your character a range of weapons (Minimum: 5, Maximum: 15)
3) Your weapons should be as whacky as possible. (Mad cows, exploding sheep....)
4) Destructible Terrain: This is a tricky one, but your game doesn't have to have it. (Although if you could figure out how to create "holes" in your terrain when a weapon hits it, that'd be great)
5) The game has to alow at least 2 people to play it.
6) Your game can be turn based, or it can be simultaneous, meaning 2 or more players shooting weapons all at once. (Total Chaos!!!)
7) If your game is simultaneous, it would be a good idea to have a delay once a weapon is used. (So if your character used a shotgun it should have to wait a few seconds before it can use any other weapon)
8) Another thing, if your game is simultaneous, you would either have to make a split-screen, or make everything small enough to fit into the viewport. Or you can just find some other way.
9) Your game can be 2d or 3d, although 3d sort of complicates things.

I think I will have to check with the mods on how the voting will be done.
To match the weapons, you can have whacky and yet interesting terrains and characters too.
You can post your WIP, such as what characters, terrains, or weapons you are going to use. If you want it to be a surprise, just keep it secret.:)

Have fun!!!
http://www.game24.ru/covers/ps2_25993719898243E38.jpeg
Team 17 Worms 4 Mayhem

cg2005
06-25-2005, 08:56 AM
Here are some cool concepts used by Worms Armaggedon:

1) Funny dialogues - James Bond, Shakespear, Scott
2) Cute characters (In my opinion anyway) - Worms
3) Destructible Terain
4) Crazy Weapons
5) Weapons affected by wind

You can use these in your game.
There are no participants so far, is it cos the game will take too long to make?
Questions anyone?

ChimpanG
06-25-2005, 04:55 PM
you realise that all these things you have asked for can take YEARS to develop...

cg2005
06-26-2005, 02:00 AM
Oh ok, sorry, I seriously didn't realise.
Cos, for me to make the simplest version of the game, such as 2 players with 5 weapons, in 2D, would take 3 days, working 3 hours each day. How long do you think you would take?

So how to improve the challenge?

Johny
06-26-2005, 02:31 AM
well...what you ask is simply riddiculous, do not take me wrong please, but i doubt that making a game is the same as making a character, and not everione has the same workflow as you:P

i would suggest go by parts, modeling characters, like challenge to model characters, etc , cause asking to make a full game even if it is 2D doesnt sem reasonable to me , and yes..it takes ages to develop if we want it to be minimally decent:P

cg2005
06-26-2005, 03:02 AM
I really have no clue on how long it takes to make a game.
I use axeledge, by mindavenue, and it is sort of like a point and click program to make 3d games.
I don't know why, so few use this program, cos using it games can be made pretty fast, you should download the trial version.

ChimpanG
06-26-2005, 10:34 AM
ah i see. well you see, most people here would have had to program the game from scratch, which meant even that basic game you spoke of could potentially take months.
point and click programs dont have the required versatility to create games of any standard in my opinion.

cg2005
06-27-2005, 08:39 AM
Yup that's true, point and click programs are quite limited.
In my opinion however, axeledge combines the 2, and allows you to include custom scripts, so you can have custom triggers and reactions.

Anyways, I'll try again to create a challenge, cos if 1st you don't succeed try try again right?
Don't know why I want to create challenges, guess I am just a competitive person:)

obelisk
06-27-2005, 08:55 AM
well if you're competitive, why not enter a challenge, rather than starting one (bentlama does a great job of this already). there's one just kicked off in the unnofficial game art challenge if you're interested, and the competition's hotting up.

-O

cg2005
06-27-2005, 11:31 AM
er...bad choice of words. (On my part)
I'm not competitive, not much anyway, but I like starting competitions. Don't know how to describe it.

For me I think it is easier to start a challenge than enter one.:)

Ghostscape
06-27-2005, 05:20 PM
Please, as someone who has deveoped small team indie games, what you are asking for is not something you can do in your spare time as a hobby.

er...bad choice of words. (On my part)
I'm not competitive, not much anyway, but I like starting competitions. Don't know how to describe it.

For me I think it is easier to start a challenge than enter one.:)

Exactly. saying "you should have 5 weapons and 2 player support" is a lot easier than writing a game that features multiple weapons and network communications.

cg2005
06-28-2005, 11:54 AM
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean?

Exactly. saying "you should have 5 weapons and 2 player support" is a lot easier than writing a game that features multiple weapons and network communications.

Network communications? For a 2 player game as described above, an easier way out would be to make the entire 2d terrain big enough to fit into the screen, so no split-screen or online play is necessary.

And it is a lot easier, to just create the challenge.
I didn't realise how difficult it was to make the game, as I have mentioned before, with a point and click program; it is so much easier. Sorry for my ignorance, at least I learnt something from this.

Anyways, I tried coming up with less ridiculous challenges.
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=253363
Visit the thread and give me feedback?

Pleeease :)

CGmonkey
06-28-2005, 12:22 PM
And it is a lot easier, to just create the challenge.
I didn't realise how difficult it was to make the game, as I have mentioned before, with a point and click program; it is so much easier. Sorry for my ignorance, at least I learnt something from this.

It's not that difficult to make it actually, I've been doing these kind of games since I was 8 -9 years old in MegaZeux (dos, ascii). People just don't realize their oppertunities!

It takes a bit more time than you anticipate though. :)

cg2005
06-28-2005, 01:38 PM
8-9 years old?!!!
That's way cool.
Can you post a link to the game so we could see how it looks like.
I'm really curious.
How long did you take to make the game?

CGTalk Moderation
06-28-2005, 01:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.