PDA

View Full Version : Video Card for new System??? (Animator)

b.Schulz
10-21-2002, 05:31 AM
So now that I've figured out what I'm gonna get I need some help deciding. I know it's really my decision in the long run but I'm curious as to what you guys think.

Here's system number one
-Dual AMD Athlon MP2000+'s
-1 Gig Ram
-80 WD IDE Drive
-GeForce 4 Ti 4600
-Win2k

System 2
-Dual Processor Motherboard with "a" AMD Athlon MP2200+
-1 Gig Ram
-80 GB WD IDE
-Quadro4 700 or 900 XGL
-Win2k

Both would roughly in the same ballpark in price (roughly) and have a DVD player and Cd-RW burner and decent sound card. The only thing is that I could have the dual processor right off the bat with a non-workstation videocard. Or a single processor system with a little more powerfull processor (until I have money to get processor numero 2.) with a workstation video card (or I could save a lot of money and not get the workstation card at all??). I like to play video games, but that's not the highest priority on my list but it's important(I'm an animator first and foremost). So I'm not sure which route to go. The dual processor system is gonna be a little bit cheaper too, and I'm not totally sure if going with the Quadro 4 900XGl is really worth it???

Oh and I'm open to other video card suggestions (Ie. ATI FireGL 8800, Cheap and easy Ti 4200 for the time being until something great comes out)

Thanks in Advance.

Actually by now I have for the most part decide to go with the single processor system just because I can get a little higher speed and don't really need the dual processors for rendering just yet. So I'm mostly concerned with the video card. Should I shell out the money for a Quadro 4 750-900XGL? Or should I save some cash and get a ATI Fire GL 8800 (entry/mid-level workstation card) or Ti4600 (game card but would proly be just fine in maya)?? Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance. :beer:

jjburton
10-21-2002, 12:52 PM
I just recently built a new system and I chose to go with the FireGL 8800. It was at a great price then, and I'm sure it's even cheaper today. I'm a Lightwave user and initially I had some problems with lockups but called ATI and and got their latest beta drivers (now regular drivers) and it works great. I want to work in a dual monitor enviornment and the reviews I read gave the 8800 the nod over 750 or 950XGL. I upgraded from a GeForce 2GTS, so my speed improvement in OpenGL was phenomenal. I think it's a great card at a great price and I'd definately recommend it.

Hope this helps:D

GregHess
10-21-2002, 03:33 PM
Its usually better to buy both cpu's in a dual proc system at once. Over time different steppings are released on various processors, which can cause subtle differences in the chips. The greater the differences, the greater the chance for instability to occur, or a slight reduction in performance.

Technically if possible, you should buy cpu's with adjacent waffer #'s. (Aka the cpu code # is just one higher or lower then the other cpu).

As for video card recommendations...it depends on the program. If you were using 3dsmax for example, I would steer away from most ATI products.

b.Schulz
10-21-2002, 05:47 PM
Interesting point on the processors...I never thought of that. Thanks. I'm using Maya so I am assuming that the ATI will work well with it???? Does anyone know if maya is multithreaded....(meaning it will use both processors besides just for rendering)--that is the correct terminolagy right...geez...I can't spell for $hit. Anyways. I figure I"m gonna get a cheaper card now...either the Fire GL 8800 or a Ti4600 (both about the same price) just because I know that video cards are gonna start to take a big leap when the Nv30 stuff comes out. Thanks for the tips on the cpu stuff that's really helpful. Also I'm also goign to be upgrading from a Geforece 2 GTS to one of these newer cards so I'm glad to hear that your speed improvement in OpenGL was phenomenal. :D Any other suggestions??? Thanks again. !! :beer:

Oh...and for the motherboard...since I was planning on going dual AMD which motherboards do you guys recommend. I was looking at the Tyan Tigers? S2460 or something similar? The only thing I'm skeptical on is that some places where telling me that this board won't work with a 400+ Powersupply?? Any suggestions on boards while were at it???

jjburton
10-21-2002, 06:10 PM
One of the reviews I read on the 8800 was Maya focused and its the one that pretty much sold me. Here's the link:

Click here. (http://www.animationartist.com/2002/06_jun/reviews/firegl_part2.htm)

Like I was saying driver wise, just make sure you get the right ones.

For a motherboard recommendation, I'd recommend checking out both arstechnica.com and anandtech.com. Arstechnica's God box buyer's guide almost always features dual athalons. Anandtech did a workstation buyers guide not long ago that also featured a dual board. That would probably also answer any power supply questions you might have.

Good luck. I love building new systems!:D

b.Schulz
10-21-2002, 06:13 PM
Great...thanks for the link. Yeah...buying new systems is great. I'm always learning something. :bounce: So with these drivers...how would you know which ones are the right ones? Thanks again for the help and recommendations. :thumbsup:

jjburton
10-21-2002, 06:19 PM
No problemo...

If you go with the 8800, look here:

http://www.ati.com/support/products/workstation/firegl8800/firegl8800drivers.html

b.Schulz
10-21-2002, 06:24 PM
Cool thanks!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.