PDA

View Full Version : Futuristic Helicopter

brian
06-23-2005, 10:26 PM
Heres my first model that I ever made in my entire life. I made it with XSI Foundation 4.2. total poly count is 2598 Triangles. What do ya think?

yaya, sucks...I know

Blighto
06-23-2005, 10:58 PM
Someone been playing C&C? ;)

If it really is your first ever model, then its a very good start. :thumbsup:

brian
06-23-2005, 11:26 PM
really? cool

When I was modeling it, my brother came and said "Are you tryint to model the Orca?" (thats the helicopter in command and conquer) I didndt really try to model it after anything, I didnt have any refrence images either.

yes, this is my first model I've made. I very recently purchased XSI, and it is spectacular so far. I kinda think the poly count is to high. am I wrong? the engines take up 1960 triangles alone.

ok, I'm off to do some texturing editing. Any good tuts you/anyone could point me too? Thanks

Schoende
06-24-2005, 01:04 AM
Well this isn't really my expertese, but I'll try to help (I'm more into modelling organic things)...

At first cool you told what triangle count you have. But it would be even better to have a pic with the wireframe too... It would be easier to tell what edges are useless... I'll try anyways..

You are using cubes for the popellor blades right? maybe a plane with a nice texture and alpha map could be enough. The cylinder around the propellor could be less detailed too. I don't know if you are planning on using normal mapping, but that could do the trick on this issue.

As told I dont know where the edges are, but if there are transverse edges on the wings delete them (of course only when they don't define a mature part of the model).

Please send a pic of the wireframe... more peeps will try to help out then I guess...

Noc
06-24-2005, 03:53 AM
wireframe would help too.

brian
06-24-2005, 06:07 AM
Thanks for the feed-back

I think I may re-do this model, but this time with reference images. But I dont really know how to put them in. I tried Roto-scope, but that didnt work well at all. It was very hard to get it to allighn right. There must be another way to import images...anyone?

well, If I can clean up my model a little bit, maybe I'll keep the current one. But I still would like to know how to import reference images.

" maybe a plane with a nice texture and alpha map could be enough."

Sorry, but Im very new to XSI, and I really dont know what that is... Also, is normal maping engine related?

i attached wireframe (without the engines, they took up ALOT of polys. I didnt realize they took up so many. I need to re-do those atleast.

PS: oh, and I nearly lost the entire model it-self. I accidently over-rided it with another scene, but luckly found a copy in the backup folder. :)

Wayne Adams
06-24-2005, 06:10 AM
thank god for the autoback folder. lol
always push ctrl s every five seconds when using max LOL

brian
06-24-2005, 06:44 AM
I hide my original model (my heli) to test something out real quick (that was stupid of me) and I forgot that I was in my helicopter scene, so did it my self, lol.

Funny though, 10 mileseconds after I hit the save button, I went "F**K F**K F**K S**T!!!" hehe , I got it back and all is good. :thumbsup:

Schoende
06-28-2005, 01:52 AM
So how is it going now??? Have you modelled any further???

brian
06-28-2005, 10:22 PM
Thank you for your concern.

Im going through alot of tuturials for much more technical "know-how" before I go for another attempt. :)

Everything is going smoothly so far. I'll post back right when I'm finished.

CGTalk Moderation
06-28-2005, 10:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.