PDA

View Full Version : WIP Birdqueen

Llynna
06-23-2005, 04:55 PM
Hello folks, this is my first post here including one of my paintings. I never could get the courage to post somethings, because you are all so amazing^^.

Some time ago i watched "The Crow" and i was inspired to draw this picture. The only thing is that i am not ably to find a fitting bg. The setting is a dark, hostile future, maybe some industrial district.

If you have some crits or suggestions: please let me hear them

ditchman
06-24-2005, 01:16 PM
i think the softness of the figure and clothing will not mix well with a purely industrial environment. i may be wrong though, as of course it will be a striking contrast.

how about this for an idea, idustrial type materials and surfaces - made into organic forms (like steel plated thorny branches) sounds crazy? well i am!

like the pose of the head and shoulders so far.

Ilikesoup
06-24-2005, 09:02 PM
I don't mean this to sound harsh, but her outfit looks more theatrical than functional. Unless the wings are part of her costume I don't get the sense that they will be able to support her, and the "spray" from her headpiece looks like a it should be on a fancy hat for attending the opera. If you're trying to create a female Crow character keep in mind that he (Eric Draben?) couldn't fly. He was reanimated until he had exacted his revenge -- the real crow was what brought him back to life in the first place.

If you're still open to backgrounds, what if she lives in and opera house and protects it as her home. She could be peering out from a box seat at the stage. Perhaps there are homeless people seeking shelter there and she watches over them.

--Just throwing out ideas. I'd love to hear more of your thoughts regarding this character.

csgirl
06-25-2005, 01:17 AM
Hmm. Something is bothering me about her back. I think it is twisted. The center line seems to be off. Here, let me show you.

http://stringfellowart.net/images/cro41-Kopie2.jpg

Llynna
06-25-2005, 02:42 PM
@ilikesoup: no you are not too harsh. especially about the hair, but thats just one: oh i need something on her head solution by now. and i never intendet to create a female eric draven, but i but you are right that i have to work on the wings. her outfit is indeed more theartalic than functional, a corset is never functional because of the limited movement. i must admit that wehen i did the sketch, i nver thought of functional design but on a little dramatic costume. the second idea behind the figure is that she is a beasttalker. i read the new weitseher novels ( i dont know the english name of the books by robin hobb) and there are beasttalkers there whose behavior is slightly turning into that of their fellow beasts. but in my imagination she is becomg more and more like bird by apperance and behavior.
i just love your opera idea and will try to work on it right now.

@csgirl: thank you for your correction of the neckline, her back is causing me a lot of trouble.

@ditchman: crazy is just right for me ;). i think you are right about the contrast, i will try to combine your idea with ilikesoups opera idea.

thank you for your replies:D and i am sorry for the late answer, but i was on a little vacation at the north sea.

Llynna
08-07-2005, 10:19 PM
well, i did some major updates. i finally found a background setting that pleases me. i wanted her to push the curtain away with her right hand but i just couldn`t get the perspective right -.-. next thing to go will be her negline and the opera interieur in the background.

http://666kb.com/i/10nqrv6bxtou8.jpg

Llynna
10-10-2005, 10:53 PM
after a long long time of absence from this piece i came back on it. nearly put it in the trash can but finally her story and background is satisfying to me.

after being accused of witchcraft and therefore left by her viance she fled to the rim of the world. from the roots of the great tree she is watching the world from above, looking down to the mist of the valleys and the rising day. through her birds she keeps in touch with the world below her. legend says she comes down now and then to save those accoused but innocent.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b269/Llynna/cro10.jpg

i want to give it a more dramatic lightning and stuff. i think the branshes of the great tree will create some shadows upon her, so that the distant sunrise will be more eyecatching.

ajay1589
10-11-2005, 12:16 AM
that is definetly a great improvement, but i liked the long wings...considering the head and bird are so flowing and feather-filled i feel the wings should be too

ill wait to comment on the background since i can't see very much detail of it(besides the mountains, clouds, tree etc.)

pushav
10-11-2005, 01:40 AM
Nice progress. I was wondering if you ever finish this.

Llynna
11-28-2005, 11:43 PM
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b269/Llynna/birdie4.jpg

finally some update again^^. spectacular try and university start disturbed me a bit..... well and other paintings too and well....... am just slow.

but the end is finally within reach i think.

CGTalk Moderation
11-28-2005, 11:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.