PDA

View Full Version : Game Character

Blighto
06-23-2005, 05:53 PM
Been working on a character in low-poly. Its not for a real game, im just doing it for practise because i havent done a low-poly character before. And since i want to go into games, i figured this is the kind of thing that will look good on my CV.

I still need to do the hands and feet, as well as add a little more detail to the body. The head/face is done. Im modelling maybe a bit high-poly for most games these days, but its also an excersize for me getting the anatomy and realism right. And games are getting higher and higher poly anyway. Heres a couple of renders. Using max 6.

Oh and please crit. I will also be texturing it and will probably need a lot of help (since i havent done UV texturing before :P)

http://www.web-zealots.co.uk/blighto/other/man_face.jpg

http://www.web-zealots.co.uk/blighto/other/man_body.jpg

jOBe
06-23-2005, 06:28 PM
cant tell much without a wireshot.

upper body looks quite ok, the legs are horrible. the upper parts are way too long, the legs are overall too thin.
oh and just because games are getting "higher and higher poly" doesnt mean you wont have a exact polylimit when working on a game character so i'd suggest you place yourself a limit.
other than that its a solid beginning, go seek some anatomy guides and give us some wireframe shots ;-)

AgustinLV
06-23-2005, 07:01 PM
Good start. Are you modelling the Oscars? Just kidding. Jobe's right though, do some anatomy research before starting any humanoid model. Actually, you should do some reference research before starting any kind of model.
What polycount are you aiming for? In any case, don't over 5k polygons for now, and try to stay at 3k just to adquire the good habit of not abusing polycounts, lol.

roteo
06-23-2005, 07:51 PM
hi blighto!

i`m no professional and maybe some other guys here can help you much better but i think with new gaming engines and especially normal maps lowpoly stuff isnt that important anymore as its no problem to "bake" highpolycharacters on a lowpolymesh; but anyway highpoly starts with low..so its a good start i think

cheers

Blighto
06-23-2005, 07:52 PM
I took care to ensure that the proportions where correct. If the legs look out of proportion i think its mostly because i havent added feet yet, but we'll see. I do need to shape the legs a little better though, and that will be coming soon.

Augustin, i have been using references and i do know enough about anatomy for a humanoid. I have a subconcious poly limit of about 4k i think, i certainly dont want to go over 5k.

Thanks for the replies anyway. More coming tonight / tomorrow hopefully.

goatrape
06-23-2005, 08:02 PM
Looks good so far. I think your anatomy is right on, 8.75 heads tall i presume(after you add the feet). I agree that a wireframe shot would help further your critique

Blighto
06-23-2005, 08:21 PM
Here are the wires. As side notes:
1. The eyes are just there as a guide for the lids, and will be lowered in poly count.
2. Im not trying to copy anyone elses work with the reference pics, they are just an anatomical guide. I also used 2 photos when i was doing the face.

http://www.web-zealots.co.uk/blighto/other/man_body_wires.gif

http://www.web-zealots.co.uk/blighto/other/man_face_wires.gif

Schoende
06-24-2005, 01:31 AM
Well what I'm always interested in is triangle count... so could you please post that too?

You used too much edges to define your model. What I want to say is the level of detail is not very high, but still you use many edges to get this result. Maybe you should try deleting some edges.

The anatomy looks nice as far as I can see. I only have one little problem the torso looks much too big. I don't know how this comes, but hey it's just my opinion....

How far are you planning to go? are you going to texture this model? If yes you could also practise normal mapping???

I got one problem with the nose... If you are going for an afro look make it less standing out of the face. If you are going for a wester look you could decrease the width.

Well keep going!!!
And don't forget to post the triangle count??? :D
I'll be back :)...

Blighto
06-24-2005, 09:55 PM
Schoende - 2216 polys (thats not including the eyes, as i havent modelled the final ones yet).

The nose does look a bit big/wide for a westerner, thanks for pointing it out. Ill make it a little thinner, especailly at the bridge i reckon. Ill be working on the hands and feet too.

*edit*

Oh and yes i would like to texture it and set up bones. I would like to try normal mapping it, but i dont know if im prepared to rebuild the whole character in high poly. Any other good ways?

Schoende
06-26-2005, 03:34 AM
welll you don't have to rebuild it... you can use this model (else this would get messy anyways). Take your low poly model. Correct me when I'm wrong, but there's a smooth option in 3dsmax right??? Well use that 1 time and add some detail (like on the muscles, face hands)... you should not change the model to much. if you need more detail smooth is again... if you like it just make a normal map of it.

if you want to go very far (and want to make a very detailed normal map) add a bump map indicating the skin structure to your highpoly model....

Augh
06-26-2005, 06:47 AM
Are you sure on that count man? Seems awful dense a mesh for 2k and change triangles. I think the reason Schoende asked about "what's the triangle count" is that while Max will count in quads/ngons or triangles, whichever you like, all game meshes are triangulated, so their count should always be taken in tris. I'd guess these guys are saying 5k triangles as a limit, but I can't even be sure there. In short it's possible you could have a double count on your hands, don't take my word for it but take a check and make sure, or you might run into the limit too early. Of course this all may go without saying in which case I'm a brick.

You gettin good crits and I got nothing that I could usefully add hehehe. So I just thought I should warn you of that poly count deal. good luck with the rest man ;)

Cheers!

Blighto
06-26-2005, 04:23 PM
Heres the finished mesh. 3464 triangles (i checked in the help file and the max poly counter does count in tris - if not, how do i find out the count in tris?). The hands where nasty to the count though, adding on like an extra 1000 or so.

http://www.web-zealots.co.uk/blighto/other/man_body_2.jpg

Now im debating wether i should model clothes, or just add them into the texture (but it might look a bit "gay model" if i have all skintight clothes, which this character is not, and im not gonna do him naked :P). Either way i want to get him textured - modelling clothes might be good practice i guess. Then again, clothes shouldnt be that hard as i can just pull polys out of the existing mesh.

Any tips on doing hair?

Cheers - Blighto

Blighto
06-26-2005, 05:10 PM
Hmm, that render came out in quads mode. Heres the real wireframe.

And im certain now that poly count is correct (did a face count).

http://www.web-zealots.co.uk/blighto/other/man_body_wire_2.gif

AgustinLV
06-26-2005, 06:43 PM
That depends on what type of haircut you wanna give your model. What I use to do is to make the base hair from the head mesh and then add strips of flat meshes with alpha maps to add those loose hairs around the head or going down the neck if Im modelling a woman. It works very well and gives a very natural look.

Schoende
06-26-2005, 10:24 PM
Do you have any ideas for the clothes (like concept art)??? I would really like to see that...:D
BTW I would not make a new model for the clothes, just model them out of your current model. And add some folds to your normal map.

For the hairs AgustinLV gave the right idea on this, it works nicely... maybe you should look for some nice tuts on this.

I see you got rid of some edges... and it still looks nice :D... I don't know if that's possible in 3dsmax (it should be), but I guess you haven't softened your normals (there should be a option somewhere) because you have some ugly edges in the torso area... but that has nothing to do with the model or something :P.

The nose looks much better now!!! Good job till now :D

Blighto
06-26-2005, 10:54 PM
Augustin - thanks for the tip, i had thought of a method like that, but didnt know what kinda results it would have - probably have to try that one then. Also i will probably going for slightly longer, shaggier hair than most (but not past neck/shoulders).

Schoende - Dont have any concepts drawn out. Actually saying that i did a scene a week or so ago, well actually it was a kind of concept idea for a big mmorpg game, and that character had post global-disaster, ripped jeans etc kinda clothes, i might have to adapt that a little and use it. Ill post as soon as i get something sorted.

The weird normals on his stomach i did purposely - just to help with when i paint the texture. I will smooth them after that.

CGTalk Moderation
06-26-2005, 10:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.