PDA

View Full Version : Assign vertex number

westiemad
06-23-2005, 04:44 PM
is it possible to assign either vertex or face numbers to a piece of geometry using mel, so far i can't find a way. Or is this gonna be a plugin job?

EDIT: Ignore that, doing it another way ;)

Cheers

AnDy

Nicool
06-23-2005, 10:41 PM
It is said it is not possible to renumber components (vertices, edges,..) in Maya's engine. Did you manage to do it?

westiemad
06-23-2005, 10:49 PM
i am using a different method, which is crap and slow. I know its easy to do in houdini, but would look cool in maya, shame really. I was gonna change the face name, but this requires sorting of 2 arrays so they match with each other, and its been a long day where I got lost in the baking heat, so i'm not up to coding that tonight. At the moment everyface has to be queryied (sp), which is woefully slow.

MCronin
06-24-2005, 05:59 AM
Why don't you just create a custom integer attribute and fillin the value at each face/vertex however you want and then just reference that attribute as needed? Does what you are doing require that you actually change the vertex numbers?

westiemad
06-24-2005, 10:31 AM
Hello MCronin, long time no see. Ideally I'd like to re-assign the face number, I could reassign the face names, although this will take some sorting, and I might try it today. Its an amusing challange for me, so will give me something to think about. Its not do or die, I'm just trying to be clever :P. How are you by the way?

CGTalk Moderation
06-24-2005, 10:31 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.