PDA

View Full Version : Meet the Artist: Nick Pugh

leigh
06-23-2005, 02:40 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/cgtalk/meettheartists/nick_pugh/header.jpg

Nick Pugh
Lead Concept Artist
Rhythm and Hues

Concept Designer Nick Pugh has been pursuing originality in the fields of vehicle and entertainment design for over 15 years, and currently works as a lead Concept Artist for visual effects studio Rhythm and Hues, where he creates original character, vehicle, FX and production design for feature films, commercials and print.

Recent film credits include: and [i]Garfield.
He also designs and builds unique concept cars that explore the limits of what is possible as well as pursuing a myriad of other artistic endeavors. His work can often be seen in books and media publications.
Nick has received numerous awards for his work including, most recently, the master award for transportation in Expose 3.

Related Links
http://www.nickpugh.com/

http://www.cgnetworks.com/cgtalk/meettheartists/nick_pugh/pugh_1.jpg

http://www.cgnetworks.com/cgtalk/meettheartists/nick_pugh/pugh_2.jpg

http://www.cgnetworks.com/cgtalk/meettheartists/nick_pugh/pugh_3.jpg

http://www.cgnetworks.com/cgtalk/meettheartists/nick_pugh/pugh_4.jpg

Post your questions or request for critique

The "Meet the Artists" forum provides a conducive environment where CGTalk members can have the opportunity to speak to some of the finest digital art talents in the world! CGTalk members can post questions and artwork, and have them answered or critiqued by these master artists. This is a fantastic opportunity to gain valuable insight from seasoned industry veterans!

Rules for Q&A/Critique:
1. Use your real name (edit your CGTalk profile in UserCP). Note: Anonymous postings may be removed at CGTalk's discretion.
2. Please be polite when asking questions or for critique.
3. Check the whole thread to see if your question has already been asked. Do not post duplicate questions.
4. When posting critique, please use the CGTalk Attachments feature so that the artwork remains accessible.
5. Note that the Artist is under no obligation to answer all questions or critique all work posted. It is at his/her sole discretion to answer questions or critique work.
6. If the Artist does not answer your question or critique your work, do not harass him/her.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fus|on
06-23-2005, 03:27 AM
Welcome aboard Nick!

Start stretching your fingurs, I'm sure your gonna be a hit in this Q & A Thread

penartist26
06-23-2005, 03:50 AM
hi mr. nick i like ur design conceptual design stuff specially the vehicles tottaly cool'
er' heres my quicky Q. sir

- hows life being a lead Concept Artist in a entertainment design industry?

- since im a fan of jim davis how about ur experienced in
Garfield the movie include Scooby Doo how is it becoming one of the instrumental of the designs concepts the animation' etc..

- i love ur cars concept wow! did u try to work for warner brothers "BATMAN" movies?

congrats to u and more power! :)

criminal
06-23-2005, 04:52 AM
your work has been really truely amazing and inspiring for everyone. ive got a just a couple of questions to ask.

1. i am really curious to know wich app u use in most of your work.

2. 15 years is a long time to spend in a industry. where do u find your self standing in the cg
world after spending such a huge period in it. do u think u have acheived what u aimed for
or not yet.

thnx

Lalecp
06-23-2005, 04:57 AM
Hi Mr. Pugh, I would like to thank you for participating and for taking the time to answer out questions.

My Questions:

The Ring 2 wasnt a digitally based film, what kind of work did you do for that movie?

What things do u think about while doing concept work?

and lastly

What inspired you to get into this field of work?

Thank You Very Much

-Alec

pogonip
06-23-2005, 06:43 AM
Hi nick love your work your an excellent artist !

Questions :

1: Are there projects you know your going to love to work on and projects that make you say " man not this stuff !!"

2: How much concept art are you expected to create daily say at the level of the Dino creature up there ? Or maybe you can break down how much is expected from you and how fast you typically have to work .

3: Are there R&H clients that ask for you specifically when they are in the design process ?

4: Do you work mostly digitally these days or do still do a lot of traditional media ?

5: What's your biggest motivator for staying in films as opposed to say visual development for Video Games or Animation for example.

6: Were you nerveous when you first started doing this line of work ? Did you ever have times when you thought you might fail ?

theuni
06-23-2005, 06:44 AM
Hi Nick,

I did a fast look at your website... really impressive work you did the last 15 years :thumbsup:
I just got one little question... did you study anything for doing this job?

Magnemar
06-23-2005, 07:12 AM
Hi Nick,

You seem happy working in a variety of media and styles - do you find it a positive or a negative thing that you don't have an instantly recognisable 'style', in the manner of say Craig Mullins or Feng Zhu? Is this helpful when working on such a wide range of projects?

Cheers,

James.

Adamos
06-23-2005, 08:53 AM
Hi Nick!

First of all: RESPECT to you man! I've had a nickpugh folder on my hard drive for ages, so this is Q&A just wonderful!

Someone before me asked what you studied to get here, well I'll double that question and upgrade it:

1. What period of your life did you learn the most? Was it from someone, or mainly by yourself?

2. Who's/what's your inspiration?

3. Not a question, but a compliment: I think that your art is so fresh in so many ways, and it doesn't matter if it's not "recognizable" at once like someone mentioned earlier. That just means you've got lot's of styles and sides as a person/designer.

4. What are your goals in life/ work?

Thank you for taking the time to do this! It means so much to our community!

Thanks for inspiring.

Cheers, Adam

APD-Jack
06-23-2005, 09:57 AM
Hi Nick. Actually, i didn't know you til see this thread, but i searched about you, looked your site and very liked your works.
I wonder how improved your vision and do you have any tutorial dvd or media
Finally, do you have favorite concept artists?
Very thanks for sharing your knowledge

varunbondwal
06-23-2005, 10:04 AM
Hello Nick, nice to see you here. I want to know if youre into animation of vehicles as well. If yes, can you give me some pointers about where to start for animating a car according to physics laws ?

stefgrafx
06-23-2005, 10:09 AM
mouais... bof...

Jezzarts
06-23-2005, 11:13 AM
Nick, your art is full of imagination and inspiration!

The posibility of working as a concept artist on a C.S.Lewis film has been a goal of mine ever since I found out they were making the LWW. I see that you have had the pleasure of doing this.

I am 29, have been teaching myself concept art for just under a year and have been able to get a fair bit of freelance work... I consider my art to be just above average and I'm learning fast. My question is, do you think it's worth while me going to Uni to get formal training, or should I continue to learn from my freelance work. Would a studio such as R&H's consider someone with no degree for working on film concepts etc?

Thanks so much! keep up the great work - Jez

eggsrgood
06-23-2005, 12:24 PM
Hey Nick,

Your art is so varied and from another world. I purchased your first DVD and was really inspired from watching you work but mainly from the way you described your workflow. Just wanted to let you know that there is another realm, another layer so to speak. It is hard to reach but innocence and clarity is the only way. If you have ever looked into the world of seeing auras I think you would be very interested. My fiancee sees colours around people's heads, and she has taught me a gift of feeling colours. It is a strange sensation to feel a visual. No real question, I just wanted to confirm to you that there is a collective consciousness and it is possible to actually see it. keep up the amazing work.

THECLYKE
06-23-2005, 03:23 PM
YOU'VE DONE SOO MANY COOL PROJECTS ..AS AN ARTIST ARE THERE ANY PROJECTS FROM THE PAST THAT YOU FANTASIZED ABOUT DOING?

Your work is awsome....
I need some help with the themes going for my modeling reel
so far i got the typical warrior girl (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?p=2362823#post2362823) and a camel as a wip....any suggestions on
sumthin else?

Romero
06-23-2005, 03:50 PM
Hi Nick awesome portfolio, which leads me to these questions for you!

1) How long have you been sculpting for? How do you achieve such detailed results with your sculpy, and any tricks you can give to achieve nice detailed sculptures.

2) Since you have so many different skills in different mediums, how do you juggle your time or schedule so that each medium is always worked on and top notch, how do you prioritize them, and what do you find most chalenging?

3) Who are some of your favorite artists from what ever mediums?

Thanks for your time!

crossbones
06-23-2005, 04:35 PM
Nick,

First off let me say that you are definately one of the legends we talk about at Art Center. As a student there in nearly my 6th term as prod/entertainment program, I see your name and your work comes up quite often. Out of all the batmobiles I've seen designed yours was the coolest.

I have a couple questions for you

1) Did you feel that your education at Art Center, besides teaching you how to draw, maniuplate surfaces and build models really gave you sense of how to generate ideas? Rather then critics, was there ever a time where it wasn't about how flashy your renderings were, how tight your models were rather the process of the idea behind the execution.

- My personal feeings is that generating ideas is something that Art Center pulls out of you rather then teaches you. When I and a group of friends entered art center, we realized that a sense for design is something that isn't necessarily "aqquired" but rather "inspired". We would see work by the upper term students and get really inspired to create somthing just as useful or stylish.

2) Where you see the fine line between art and design? What consitutes an artist, what constitutes a designer?

3) Last and final question, its very expensive degree to recieve at a major Art/Design school these days, do you think it necessary to have a degree to do the kind of work you are doing?

Thank you so much for bringing your designs into the world for people to enjoy. Also, thanks for showing Neville that cool trick about painting zoomed out (digital painting), he told us about it in class and its helped my sense of composition greatly!

ynvamsi
06-23-2005, 06:09 PM
Hi nick

I would like to thank you for taking the time to answer out questions. Excelent concept Designs from you.

ynvamsi
06-23-2005, 06:18 PM
Hey nick,

I love u r sclupture work. Could u explain u r sclupture process.

Do u know 3d modelling? If u know please explain the modelling process in 3d.

ThanQ.

DirtEater
06-23-2005, 06:53 PM
Hi Nick, I'm sure you're going to keep getting flooded with questions so thanks very much for taking the time to do this for us. I have your DVD "Originality in Design" on the way in the mail and it looks really wonderful.

My question is: Did you set very high goals when you were first learning art and if yes, did this cause you to feel unhappy about your work until you improved?

I'd love to hear whatever's on your mind about this and the perception of one's own work in general.

Thanks very much again for taking the time to answer questions, I hope you enjoy the attention!

fabriciomicheli
06-23-2005, 08:59 PM
hi nick! Impressive stuff is that you make man!
Im fabricio. Im from Argentina, a country where CG is in its initial stage, and the market is not the big thing, nevertheless I want to hear your opinion about how to face a career in this kinda situation. I mean, your vision as a professional.

And I wanted to know your opinion about digital and traditional media. I mean, do you think that is right working directly on a machine or you need the material contact that traditional art gives you?

Congratulations man. Its really cool that youre here at CGTalk!
Best Regards.

nick pugh
06-23-2005, 09:41 PM
hi nick! Impressive stuff is that you make man!
Im fabricio. Im from Argentina, a country where CG is in its initial stage, and the market is not the big thing, nevertheless I want to hear your opinion about how to face a career in this kinda situation. I mean, your vision as a professional.

recently i have been fortunate to be working with an artist (andres roppa) from montevideo. he is building a vehicle design i have done for intersection magazine due out next fall. the point being that with the web and attendant tech you can be anywhere working on any number of different things. i often prefer to have contacts and relationships from afar rather than the distraction of face to face interchange. try to cultivate this approach

And I wanted to know your opinion about digital and traditional media. I mean, do you think that is right working directly on a machine or you need the material contact that traditional art gives you?

all is better than any one media, there advantages and satisfactions from each.

Congratulations man. Its really cool that youre here at CGTalk!

thanks

Best Regard

nick pugh
06-23-2005, 09:46 PM
Hi Nick, I'm sure you're going to keep getting flooded with questions so thanks very much for taking the time to do this for us. I have your DVD "Originality in Design" on the way in the mail and it looks really wonderful.

i hope you enjoy it, it was really fun for me to make.

My question is: Did you set very high goals when you were first learning art and if yes, did this cause you to feel unhappy about your work until you improved?

i am always in a combined state of discontent with my work and a sense of euphorea that comes when new challenges are achieved. the more varied and difficult the path the more fun it is, like climbing a really difficult rock. discovery is what it is all about.

I'd love to hear whatever's on your mind about this and the perception of one's own work in general.

Thanks very much again for taking the time to answer questions, I hope you enjoy the attention!

hussein
06-23-2005, 09:55 PM
Hi Nick, thank you for taking the time to answer our questions :)

- Which movie would you have liked to work in as a concept designer?
- From all the design fields you're active in, which one is your favourite?
- Will we see more Gnomon educational DVDs featuring you? if yes, what will be the subject?
I hope it will be about rendering chrome - your chromy vehicle is one of the most amazing vehicle renderings I have ever seen.

Thanx again :)

nick pugh
06-23-2005, 09:57 PM
I love u r sclupture work. Could u explain u r sclupture process.

Do u know 3d modelling? If u know please explain the modelling process in 3d.

i have so many different techniques it would be hard to explain all of them, sculpy, chavant clay, metal, plastic etc. each very different. for cg modeling i have not used 3d tools in some time, at one point i used alias and rhino a little and good 'ole bryce. i do use deep paint for texture/materials for character work. usually my process goes: concept sketching, color comps, ortho layout, sculpted(real) model, scanned into digital, clean up, 3d texture mapping. at this point i hand it off to the setup guys to rigg, animate scene light etc.

nick pugh
06-23-2005, 10:05 PM
- Which movie would you have liked to work in as a concept designer?
- From all the design fields you're active in, which one is your favourite?
- Will we see more Gnomon educational DVDs featuring you? if yes, what will be the subject?
I hope rendering chrome - your chrome vehicle is one of the most amazing vehicle renderings I have ever seen.

i will try to answer as many questions as i can, but it could become a full time job;) these forums are amazing, so active.

1)not that garfield was a theatrical masterpiece or that i got a deserving credit on it, but the role i had and the complete nature of the process i was able to engage in would put it in the lead. i got to develop the pre green light pich, work directly with jim davis a bit, and then was responsible to fully realize the design all the way to prelighting with very little distraction. mystery men was fun too because i licensed some original art to them and followed it through production.

2)i like it all, but car design is probably my greatest love(other than my family)

3)a chrome, high gloss rendering dvd may be on the horizon

nick pugh
06-23-2005, 10:20 PM
First off let me say that you are definately one of the legends we talk about at Art Center. As a student there in nearly my 6th term as prod/entertainment program, I see your name and your work comes up quite often. Out of all the batmobiles I've seen designed yours was the coolest.

thanks, but i did not realize i had designed one, i would like to though!

I have a couple questions for you

1) Did you feel that your education at Art Center, besides teaching you how to draw, maniuplate surfaces and build models really gave you sense of how to generate ideas? Rather then critics, was there ever a time where it wasn't about how flashy your renderings were, how tight your models were rather the process of the idea behind the execution.

i have always looked at the process of doing any kind of creative endeavor as being a synthesis of concept and technique. one or the other alone is weak. you must have both in full force to make a signifigant impact

- My personal feeings is that generating ideas is something that Art Center pulls out of you rather then teaches you. When I and a group of friends entered art center, we realized that a sense for design is something that isn't necessarily "aqquired" but rather "inspired". We would see work by the upper term students and get really inspired to create somthing just as useful or stylish.

inspiration must come standard, practice and mass volume of work create conditions where the raw unrefined inspiration can become something great

2) Where you see the fine line between art and design? What consitutes an artist, what constitutes a designer?

that is a hard question to answer easily. i guess in general terms a designer is someone who satisfies a client and an artist satisfies himself and a patronage follows later if he is lucky. i think this was a very hard lesson for me to learn, that i thought design was more like art where you did what you loved first and the structure would follow, but in fact it is the opposite much of the time. it took a long time for me to figure this out and now i balance my efforts about 50-50 art/design

3) Last and final question, its very expensive degree to recieve at a major Art/Design school these days, do you think it necessary to have a degree to do the kind of work you are doing?

the amount of professional advantage, network and prestige definitely has payed the tuition back along time ago. i also know people who are supersters that never went to school

Thank you so much for bringing your designs into the world for people to enjoy. Also, thanks for showing Neville that cool trick about painting zoomed out (digital painting), he told us about it in class and its helped my sense of composition greatly![/QUOTE]

nick pugh
06-23-2005, 10:32 PM
1) How long have you been sculpting for? How do you achieve such detailed results with your sculpy, and any tricks you can give to achieve nice detailed sculptures.

since i was 3 or 4 i guess. i always drew or woked in clay

2) Since you have so many different skills in different mediums, how do you juggle your time or schedule so that each medium is always worked on and top notch, how do you prioritize them, and what do you find most chalenging?

this is hard, not to become a 'jack of all trades, master of none' i always seem to gravitate to new and unknown mediums for the thrill of discovering something new in each. the concept can drive the core of the development of art and the learning process you get in each new medium keeps you fresh and naive, i think this is great. the risk is that you will never really master any one medium. i look at the process as a lifelong journey where you are always learning and growing

3) Who are some of your favorite artists from what ever mediums?

daniel brush(metal) stewart mcsherry(cg fine art) Issey Miyake(fashion) chip foose(hotrods) scott robertson(artist champion) manymore

Thanks for your time![/QUOTE]

nick pugh
06-23-2005, 10:38 PM
thanks for the compliments

- hows life being a lead Concept Artist in a entertainment design industry?

it is really fun. working with rhythm&hues has always been a great pleasre, the people there are nice and very talented. they also give me the freedom to work in my own studio and be fairly autonomous. i am a hands on guy and prefer to work alone or in relative seclusion. the projects are varied and i get to express many different styles and techniques.

- since im a fan of jim davis how about ur experienced in
Garfield the movie include Scooby Doo how is it becoming one of the instrumental of the designs concepts the animation' etc..

garfield was fun and the work was rewarding. i got a lame credit and that sort of sucked since i designed the cg cat

- i love ur cars concept wow! did u try to work for warner brothers "BATMAN" movies?

i would like to very much, if the deal was right

congrats to u and more power! :)[/QUOTE]

nick pugh
06-23-2005, 10:45 PM
thanks,

1. i am really curious to know wich app u use in most of your work.

photoshop, deep paint, sculpy, chavant, metal(stainless, aluminum, chromolly, titanium), glass, plastic, oil paint, mixed media on vellum, wood, foam, photography(nikon d70 nikkor 18-70 lense) prismacolor on newsprint pens of all sort etc

2. 15 years is a long time to spend in a industry. where do u find your self standing in the cg
world after spending such a huge period in it. do u think u have acheived what u aimed for
or not yet.

definitely not. i have struggled with more dissapointment and letdown because my goals were soooo high and rare. i may be able to get there by the time i am 60 or 70

thnx[/QUOTE]

nick pugh
06-23-2005, 10:48 PM
The Ring 2 wasnt a digitally based film, what kind of work did you do for that movie?

i painted all the textures for the cg deer attack sequence

What things do u think about while doing concept work?

too many to answer, or sometimes as little as possible

and lastly

What inspired you to get into this field of work?

i always loved it since i was a small boy

Thank You Very Much

-Alec[/QUOTE]

nick pugh
06-23-2005, 11:01 PM
thanks so much,

1: Are there projects you know your going to love to work on and projects that make you say " man not this stuff !!"

yes, always there are better and worse projects. i have been fortunate enought to work on some of the more cheesy ones in my career;) in this process i have also learned that you never know how things will turn out as you begin a project. it might look pretty bleak when you first read the script but when the team gets going you have a great time. and the contrary, a really cool sounding project might be run by an @&^%# and this poinsons the effort and makes everyone miserable. because i spend so much of my time on my personal work i feel quite insulated from being too tied up in how wicked a project will be

2: How much concept art are you expected to create daily say at the level of the Dino creature up there ? Or maybe you can break down how much is expected from you and how fast you typically have to work .

always more than is expected. say they think you should do 3 comps do 7 and better than you lead on. this will give you freedom to work where and how you like

3: Are there R&H clients that ask for you specifically when they are in the design process ?

yes

4: Do you work mostly digitally these days or do still do a lot of traditional media ?

all

5: What's your biggest motivator for staying in films as opposed to say visual development for Video Games or Animation for example.

i have an exclusive deal with r&h and i work on what they get. i have turned down many other oppertunities as a result. i would love to work on more video games if they came in

6: Were you nerveous when you first started doing this line of work ? Did you ever have times when you thought you might fail ?

i failed at some other things i tried that were much more difficult than this type of work, so i think this gave me confidence

nick pugh
06-23-2005, 11:01 PM
Hi Nick,

I did a fast look at your website... really impressive work you did the last 15 years :thumbsup:
I just got one little question... did you study anything for doing this job?

transportation design

nick pugh
06-23-2005, 11:07 PM
Hi Nick,

You seem happy working in a variety of media and styles - do you find it a positive or a negative thing that you don't have an instantly recognisable 'style', in the manner of say Craig Mullins or Feng Zhu? Is this helpful when working on such a wide range of projects?

Cheers,

James.

i guess it is both ways, it is positive because i can do anything that comes at me and enjoy the process of learning new mediums, and negative bacause i am invisible in some sort of way. the plus outweighs the minus because my long term goal is to be more of a rennaisance man than a specialist. it also helps with the health, the workout of physical fabrication balaced with the cerebral of sitting in front of a screen

nick pugh
06-23-2005, 11:17 PM
Hi Nick!

First of all: RESPECT to you man! I've had a nickpugh folder on my hard drive for ages, so this is Q&A just wonderful!

Someone before me asked what you studied to get here, well I'll double that question and upgrade it:

1. What period of your life did you learn the most? Was it from someone, or mainly by yourself?

2. Who's/what's your inspiration?

3. Not a question, but a compliment: I think that your art is so fresh in so many ways, and it doesn't matter if it's not "recognizable" at once like someone mentioned earlier. That just means you've got lot's of styles and sides as a person/designer.

4. What are your goals in life/ work?

Thank you for taking the time to do this! It means so much to our community!

Thanks for inspiring.

Cheers, Adam

thanks adam

1. it is hard to say because it has been such a journey, learning and growing all along the way. art center was a big jump, my interest in reptiles as a kid, star wars, building my concept cars and now all the stuff with scott robertson and gnomon

2.nature, mathematics, physics, engineering, art NOT politics, religion, social conditioning

3.thanks, exploration and discovery demand this from me, and a restless heart is satisfied

5.in some way i have reached them(freedom of time and constant creative challenge) and in some ways i have failed so far(having lots of clients building concept cars, making lots of money off of my own property)

nick pugh
06-23-2005, 11:20 PM
Hi Nick. Actually, i didn't know you til see this thread, but i searched about you, looked your site and very liked your works.
I wonder how improved your vision and do you have any tutorial dvd or media
Finally, do you have favorite concept artists?
Very thanks for sharing your knowledge

most of my development is self taught, art center was great, i do enjoy watching my friends tutorials to see what new tricks they are cooking up;), there are so many artists that i admire it would be unfair to single any one out, probably all the usuals anyway

nick pugh
06-23-2005, 11:24 PM
Nick, your art is full of imagination and inspiration!

The posibility of working as a concept artist on a C.S.Lewis film has been a goal of mine ever since I found out they were making the LWW. I see that you have had the pleasure of doing this.

I am 29, have been teaching myself concept art for just under a year and have been able to get a fair bit of freelance work... I consider my art to be just above average and I'm learning fast. My question is, do you think it's worth while me going to Uni to get formal training, or should I continue to learn from my freelance work. Would a studio such as R&H's consider someone with no degree for working on film concepts etc?

Thanks so much! keep up the great work - Jez

thanks,

it is hard to say, so many people have formal training and do well but some have none and do great as well. r&h bases their hiring on talent and quality of work, the degree is often just a way of networking(which i can stress is very important)

nick pugh
06-23-2005, 11:29 PM
Hey Nick,

Your art is so varied and from another world. I purchased your first DVD and was really inspired from watching you work but mainly from the way you described your workflow. Just wanted to let you know that there is another realm, another layer so to speak. It is hard to reach but innocence and clarity is the only way. If you have ever looked into the world of seeing auras I think you would be very interested. My fiancee sees colours around people's heads, and she has taught me a gift of feeling colours. It is a strange sensation to feel a visual. No real question, I just wanted to confirm to you that there is a collective consciousness and it is possible to actually see it. keep up the amazing work.

i am so glad you enjoyed it, i really had fun making it and learned alot about the process as well. auras, hmmmm, sounds neat. i will look into it. often, in the moment when a discovery is gained i feel connected to something similar to what you describe.

nick pugh
06-23-2005, 11:34 PM
YOU'VE DONE SOO MANY COOL PROJECTS ..AS AN ARTIST ARE THERE ANY PROJECTS FROM THE PAST THAT YOU FANTASIZED ABOUT DOING?

Your work is awsome....
I need some help with the themes going for my modeling reel
so far i got the typical warrior girl (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?p=2362823#post2362823) and a camel as a wip....any suggestions on
sumthin else?

thanks,

i am doing them, i guess. just more and better of the same type of stuff

i like what you are doing with the assymetry of the costume, why not play that up in her physical anatomy and surface/texture/color as well. this could be disturbing but memorable

Halfman
06-24-2005, 12:06 AM
hi sir.
your designed are so cool and fabulous. I am a student of master of information technology at Ballarat university in Australia. I am studing more on 3d design. could you please tell me some resources or books that can help me to improve my knowledge and could you please tell me how can I enter to the design market?
thanks for your attention
houman

warpy
06-24-2005, 03:09 AM
Nick,

i think i have seen your car concept on wired magazine a few months back (the gray one with the green flames), i dont want to be crude or anything but imo the head lights, the right one in particular has the inside curve opposed to the left's one and is not right in term of prespective.

i was wondering how do you tease your brain to come up with these wonderful designs everytime ? you must run out of ideas at a point, please tell us your secret :) .

thanks in advance.

nick pugh
06-24-2005, 03:41 AM
Nick,

i think i have seen your car concept on wired magazine a few months back (the gray one with the green flames), i dont want to be crude or anything but imo the head lights, the right one in particular has the inside curve opposed to the left's one and is not right in term of prespective.

i was wondering how do you tease your brain to come up with these wonderful designs everytime ? you must run out of ideas at a point, please tell us your secret :) .

thanks in advance.

i guess the camera does lie, that part of the picture is a photo. it is a distorted image however and i am sure you are right, the perspective is a bit funky overall, it is what they wanted, cartoony but real...

nick pugh
06-24-2005, 03:46 AM
hi sir.
your designed are so cool and fabulous. I am a student of master of information technology at Ballarat university in Australia. I am studing more on 3d design. could you please tell me some resources or books that can help me to improve my knowledge and could you please tell me how can I enter to the design market?
thanks for your attention
houman

the gnomon workshop has many dvd tutorials for much of what you are seeking.

warpy
06-24-2005, 11:58 AM
Nick,

so i guess the camera does lie :)

many times when i try to make something original i get stuck without ideas, i know that for some people ideas are a dime a dozen, again i am wondering how do you get your ideas, i heared that some people take 2 old ideas and combine them together but i never found this to be something i like to do.

i know all of you big time artists have some magical way of coming up with those original concepts, what are yours ?

thanks again .

anakinskywalker
06-24-2005, 02:21 PM
Hi Nick,

Do drop in sometime in the VC room sometime... A hi from all of us here in India.

-Hrishi

nick pugh
06-24-2005, 05:03 PM
Hi Nick,

Do drop in sometime in the VC room sometime... A hi from all of us here in India.

-Hrishi

the VC room? i would like to visit r&h india some time, it would be cool to do some sort of project that demanded it

k4k
06-24-2005, 06:11 PM
the VC room? i would like to visit r&h india some time, it would be cool to do some sort of project that demanded it

what project you are in now??

Do you outsource some of your work to R&H India? If so, What kind of work??

warpy
06-24-2005, 06:27 PM
just wanted to let the guys (and gals?) that never read wired magazine to know where that hybrid picture was published http://a1112.g.akamai.net/7/1112/492/20040528/www.wired.com/wired/covers/sm13.04.jpg

Chris_Bolton_NSM
06-25-2005, 04:06 PM
Hey Nick, great work!,

Im a studnt in England studying Computer Animation at portsmouth uni, i find that nature inspires me alot, and helps me to think and develop ideas, for example walking in the countryside, although im in a city now at university so dont have alot of that around me.

Q. Is there anything that you do specificaly to help inspire you, or anything that generaly helps you think about your work? Sight, sound, etc

Q. Is there anything that you think from your life, or other artists work that you admire, which is influencial to you, that translates alot into your own work at all?

Thanks alot :)

Chris Bolton

StylusMonkey
06-26-2005, 12:17 PM
Yo Nick, just wanted to say I love your work and I've been a fan since getting Concept Design 1 a while ago, I REALLY loved the cloud car concept, totally seriously out there, so totally abstract and organic.

Regards, Darren.

mindgame
06-28-2005, 04:54 AM
Hi nick,

I just want to say that I am a really big fan of your work and I'm hoping to save enough money to buy your dvd's. I'm currently seventeen years old and I attend the Saturday High program for high schoolers at ACCD.

Here are my questions:

1. Can you explain your process of going through your photoreal vellum renderings?

And on average, How long does it take for you to do a vellum rendering sketch, such as the rendering of your xeno1 on your website?

2. I have a problem with applying pastel and baby powder on my vellum. The rendering starts to get dirty as I apply more and more Pastel, even if I apply fixative. Do you have any suggestions?

3. When coming up with an idea for a car design, Do you feel that free form is much more important, or functionality?

4. Before you had entered into coventry and eventually into ACCD, did you have any prior experience or lessons in rendering automobiles? If so, where?

5. Do you give drawing lessons, if I live in the LA area? :)

Thanks nick. I really enjoy your work.

mindgame
06-28-2005, 11:45 PM
hi nick,

I'm a really big fan of your work. Its so incredible. The free form and spontenuity of it is incredible and ingenius.
I have a couple questions:

1. I'm still in high school, but I would like to know of how you undergo those large vellum renderings you did, such as the one in the xeno concepts.

2. How long does one vellum rendering usually take?

3. Can you explain the process of doing a vellum sketch, such as the ones you did on your mazda sponsered project?

4. I feel that many of your designs stresses the importance of form and styling. What is more important: The form or the Functionality?

5. Before you entered into Coventry and ACCD, Did you have any prior art lessons in car design for preparing your portfolio?

7. If you live in the LA area, Is it possible to give drawing lessons? :)

Thanks.

nick pugh
06-30-2005, 12:51 AM
hi nick,

I'm a really big fan of your work. Its so incredible. The free form and spontenuity of it is incredible and ingenius.
I have a couple questions:

1. I'm still in high school, but I would like to know of how you undergo those large vellum renderings you did, such as the one in the xeno concepts.

2. How long does one vellum rendering usually take?

3. Can you explain the process of doing a vellum sketch, such as the ones you did on your mazda sponsered project?

4. I feel that many of your designs stresses the importance of form and styling. What is more important: The form or the Functionality?

5. Before you entered into Coventry and ACCD, Did you have any prior art lessons in car design for preparing your portfolio?

7. If you live in the LA area, Is it possible to give drawing lessons? :)

Thanks.

1. it would be pretty hard to explain how i do this type of work in text form in this context. it is really quite complex and has many layers. in the simplest terms i would say sketch your design and render at the same time to keep it fresh, dont touch the surface too much(use a sheet of paper to rest your hand on to avoid smudges), make use of both sides of the paper for transparency reflections, work light to dark and add hilites at the end.

2. they range from 15 minutes for a quick sketch to a few days for a version with a full BG and collage elements

3. above

4. in the early state of the process it seems to me to be most important to establish an iconic direction. as the design is realized ever closer to reality the functional elemnts become critical to its complete success. i would say, in the best case, that they are a yin yang neither being dominant.

5. not in car design but alot in art in general

7. i will be teaching a class 'originality in design' this fall at art center and have a series of dvds related to that subject from the gnomon workshop. private lessons are not something i have done but i would consider looking at your portfolio and give you some feedback on it.

nick pugh
06-30-2005, 01:00 AM
Hey Nick, great work!,

Im a studnt in England studying Computer Animation at portsmouth uni, i find that nature inspires me alot, and helps me to think and develop ideas, for example walking in the countryside, although im in a city now at university so dont have alot of that around me.

Q. Is there anything that you do specificaly to help inspire you, or anything that generaly helps you think about your work? Sight, sound, etc

Q. Is there anything that you think from your life, or other artists work that you admire, which is influencial to you, that translates alot into your own work at all?

Thanks alot :)

Chris Bolton

i agree, nature is a great inspiration. my dvd series from the gnomon workshop directly addresses the subject of inspiration and originality and would be the best way for me to explain the methods i use in detail. it is a very involved subject and i could not do it justice in a simple answer here. as far as what i admire in other artists work, i guess i am most moved when i get a glimpse of something totally original, executed with brilliant technique in a peice of work. this is rare and therefore i am most often neutral.

nick pugh
06-30-2005, 02:05 AM
what project you are in now??

Do you outsource some of your work to R&H India? If so, What kind of work??

i have just been working on a few pitch features that have yet to be greenlit, developing a couple of new books, a commercial etc. i do not personally outsource any work to R&H india but i am sure things i have worked on have been.

mindgame
06-30-2005, 06:32 AM
Hi nick,

I have another question:

http://www.nickpugh.com/nicks_content/nickpugh/design_evolution/timeline_images/02.jpg

How long did this rendering take?

nick pugh
06-30-2005, 05:16 PM
Hi nick,

I have another question:

http://www.nickpugh.com/nicks_content/nickpugh/design_evolution/timeline_images/02.jpg

How long did this rendering take?

probably a few hours, it was a long time ago and i cant say exactly

leigh
07-01-2005, 03:50 PM
Hi everyone,

I'd like to take this chance to thank Nick for participating in this session, and for answering so many questions! This session will now be closed.