View Full Version : Vatican.va

opus13
06-23-2005, 03:15 AM
i just stumbled across this and thought others here would be interested:

http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/MV_Musei.html

peaches
06-23-2005, 03:41 AM
niiice.
did you know that in the Creation of Adam, God is like, resting on what resembles a side view of the brain? the passing on of knowledge in a way. and some doctor just discovered that some 30 years ago i think. interesting, no?
yeah i'm pretty sure you all knew that.

DrFx
06-23-2005, 12:04 PM
No, I didn't! But it does not really look much like a brain, except perhaps its profile, and even so, it's rather far fetched.

peaches
06-23-2005, 03:47 PM
No, I didn't! But it does not really look much like a brain, except perhaps its profile, and even so, it's rather far fetched.

how is it farfetched? it is the profile of the brain, hence 'side view of the brain'. have you ever seen a real human brain before? because i havent. artists back then used to dissect dead people to know how they should paint the human body. if you go and get a real brain, cut it in two, and compare it with the one in that painting, it should be about the same shape. i'm not just inventing this, its was a doctor who noticed it.

Velk
06-23-2005, 04:03 PM
Interesting, I'd never heard that before - Popped open a copy of the picture and a "half brain" image from google and there is a passing shape resemblence. What the real meaning is we'll never know, but its an interesting theory.

peaches
06-23-2005, 05:24 PM
Interesting, I'd never heard that before - Popped open a copy of the picture and a "half brain" image from google and there is a passing shape resemblence. What the real meaning is we'll never know, but its an interesting theory.

well, what makes humans different from animals? that we have a conscience and intelligence, right? [k yeah, this is a touchy subject too. but anyways.] and the center core of our conscience/intelligence is the brain, no? so i'm pretty sure it has something to do with that. i havent done any extensive research or antyhing. it just seems like the plausible conclusion to pull.

DrFx
06-23-2005, 05:59 PM
Did they even know the brain was the center of our intelligence and creativity back then? Mind, a number of different organs have been regarded as centers of emotions/thoughts, etc. In ye olde dayse people believed blood travelled back and forth even. Yes, the profile of a brain is similar, but I don't think it was really made like that on purpose, imho.

paperclip
06-23-2005, 06:33 PM
I'm pretty sure they knew. If you think...you can almost feel WHERE you are thinking.

Or maybe that's just me.:argh:

Kargokultti
06-28-2005, 09:33 AM
At one point it was believed that the soul was centered around the heart, and that the brain was only a thing to cool the blood.

CGTalk Moderation
06-28-2005, 09:33 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.