PDA

View Full Version : 2-MINUTE FILM CLUB: The Big Chase- Steve Sherrin

stevesherrin
06-22-2005, 07:24 PM
Alright, I know I am being WAY TOO ambitious about this (as I've never done anything quite like this) but I love a challenge, so I am going to attampt a live action/VFX mix with a real human actor and a digital character. The concept is simple: A girl is sitting on a couch wathcing tv when a block flies up and hits her in the head. Cut to a short troll or goblin(CGI) standing next to tv, taunting girl. camera follows the troll running across the room towards the girl and darting underneath as she reaches down, trying to grab him (but missing). As she sits up, the troll pops up from behind the couch, smacks her in the head, then darts back down. The girl lunges for the troll over the back of the couch, and he pops up in front of the couch and kicks her butt. Girl gets an idea. She turns towards the back of the couch, saying "He must be back there, somewhere" but she lifts one foot off the floor. As she turns towards the back of the couch, the troll starts to come out and she stomps her foot on him. Then she celebrates. The end.

I am posting the first panel of the storyboard here

jammin
06-22-2005, 08:46 PM
hey, we can't learn if we don't try -good luck

stevesherrin
06-22-2005, 11:33 PM
Turns out it is going to be too short. I filmed the live action and edited it together, and it turns out to be only about 45seconds long, so I'll have to add a bit more action.

RobertoOrtiz
06-27-2005, 04:06 PM
45 seconds is great!

Remmeber that the 2minutes timeline is the maximum amount.

-R

AWBenson
06-27-2005, 06:13 PM
I think 45 seconds is a good length (my animation is about that long too) for a 1 month animated short. Just remember that you'll have to render it all before the deadline. Depending on what settings or special effects you want, you may be really limited on what you can do with whatever resources you have. --That's the biggest issue with my project. There is alot I would like to do, but time constraints really press on me to make alot of cut backs to it which wouldl affect the quality of the final output.

Hope everything runs smoothly for you,

AWBenson

stevesherrin
06-28-2005, 02:27 AM
I feel much better about that length now. Rendering will still be an issue, as well, especially since I got a late start and am looking at just over 2 week total time, but it's worth a shot. Good luck to everyone!

stevesherrin
06-28-2005, 12:52 PM
OK, so here's my 2-day model and texture.... Normally I would prefer to spend more time on the model, but since I'm in a rush, I'll just have to leave it at this. I want to focus a good 1-2days on rigging the character right, then still need to animate, render, and composite. Lighting will also be VERY time consuming, as I will have to try to match a live action scene. Never tried that before, so if anyone has any advice on that (or know of any tutorials on the subject), if you would let me know, I'd appreciate it. Anyway, good luck again to all!

stevesherrin
07-13-2005, 01:25 AM
I have finished my entry, however I still have not gotten web hosting for the finished video, so alas, I will not be entering. I had a very good time working on it, however, and my be able to find space on free hosting for a VERY small version of it tommorrow.

sergioKomic
07-13-2005, 08:49 AM
http://dl2.rapidshare.de/

Its free but you cant link directly to the file....

stevesherrin
07-13-2005, 04:27 PM
Here is a link to a rough 320x240 render. The large version will be available for download today as well:

http://webpages.charter.net/sherrinmultimedia/stevesherrin_2-MINUTE%20FILM%20CLUB!(320x240).mov

RobertoOrtiz
07-13-2005, 04:31 PM
Well the voting thread goes up next Monday.

Looking forward to your work.

-R

samh
07-13-2005, 11:18 PM
HI-larious! good work.

-Sam

stevesherrin
07-13-2005, 11:26 PM
Here's a link for a bigger version, although it is download only

http://rapidshare.de/files/3036535/stevesherrin_2-MINUTE_FILM_CLUB__640x480_.mov.html

igorsandman
07-15-2005, 06:11 PM
Hey,
Great work. Pretty good special efects. The pan shot must have been hard to achieve. Congrats.
Best of luck.
-IS-

RobertoOrtiz
07-16-2005, 06:22 PM
First I would like to thank Samuel Kvaalen for coding this voting page and hosting it.

Go >>HERE<< (http://kvaalen.com/cgtalk/2minfilm/enter.php?num=5) and post your infromation if you want your animation to be part of the voting on Monday night.

Just FILL ONE of the entries and press SUBMIT at the end.

-R

ZaKKoS
07-16-2005, 08:24 PM
Loved it.
I think your entry have potential but there is something that brings it down.
I think mainly in the editing and probably the quality of the video (I presume you shot it with a normal 1 ccd minidv camera) because the story is pretty good.
The effects are really good and with more time i'm sure they could be even better (for my skills what you have done is simply amazing!).
Good luck man:thumbsup:

stevesherrin
07-17-2005, 01:08 AM
Thank you very much for your kind words. As you can tell, effects are more my forte, not live action, but I always like a challenge so I went for the hardest method. Unfortunately the footage was shot in one afternoon with a $200 miniDV camera, although even more tough was trying to edit around my 9year old daughter, the star of the film, who broke into laughter on practically every shot. Now I see why directors don't like working with children. About a dozen takes to get 1 halfway usable, and still have to add some rough cuts to hide the lack of acting, but I won't complain. This was a great learning experience for me, especially with the short deadline and $0 budget. I hope everyone enjoyed this challenge as much as I did!

Wolfmonster
07-20-2005, 04:30 PM
It was a good attempt, that's about all I can say. Have you been doing 3D for awhile, or are you somewhat of a newbie? I'm glad you took the initiative to make something, not alot do, and you needed the practice. I'm not trying to be harsh, I just work with alot of professionals here, and thought I would give a professional opinion.

- Your CG character could've used a little more work.
- The animation to the tracking was very well done.
- The timing of your animation was also very well done.

It was a good attempt, but I think there's alot of room for improvement. I look forward to seeing your future work. Good Luck!

stevesherrin
07-20-2005, 04:36 PM
I do appreciate the input, and am heartened to hear that you found the tracking and animation acceptable, as this is the first time I have combined live action and CG and had to match a camera. Although I have worked professionally as a graphic artist, and used Max in that capacity, it was limited mostly to spinning logos and such. Character animation is a hobby I work on here and there when I have time. Anyway, I appreciate the input. Criticism helps us improve!

jammin
07-21-2005, 02:35 AM
i was just wondering how you got the flap on the bottom of the couch to flop up like that?

stevesherrin
07-21-2005, 03:40 PM
Actually, a very simple, non-techincal solution. I saftey-pinned a string to the back side of the flap and ran it out the back of the couch and around to where I was, behind the camera. As Keely (the little girl in the film) reached down, I pulled the string , pulling the flap in, then let go so it swung back into place. then I just had to time the animation to when the flap was open.

jammin
07-21-2005, 08:15 PM
i love it!

stevesherrin
07-21-2005, 08:23 PM
It may sound strange coming from someone so into CG work, but I really feel there are times that simple, traditional effects are best. CG has its place, but is often overdone.

jammin
07-21-2005, 11:44 PM
i hear that -nice work!

CGTalk Moderation
07-21-2005, 11:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.