PDA

View Full Version : New PSU. Noisy CPU fan?

anibal187
06-22-2005, 05:27 PM
A week ago I bought a new PSU. It is a Termaltake Purepower Butterfly 480w.
Since then my computer have been noisier than usual. I thought it was the new PSU but then discovered that it was the cpu fan... Is this posible? What I think is that because the old PSU was only 350w, it didn't "pumped" that much electricty to the fan hence making it run slower=more quiet... So, is there a way to slow down the noise/speed of the CPU fan?
My motherboard is an intel d845pesv
The processor is an Pentium 4 at 2.4.
Thanks.

Srek
06-22-2005, 06:34 PM
I don't think the CPU fan can get louder by changing the PSU. What can happen is that if a PC runs for some long time, then you switch it off and later on again that the bearing of the fan gets damaged and will make more noise. Alternatively your old PSU might have been to loud to notice the CPU fan ;)
Cheers
Björn

Jaa
06-22-2005, 07:11 PM
I'm inclined to agree with what Srek said about the new PSU having fans that are quieter than your previous one. If you CPU fan is dying, you'd hear it making odd grinding/clicking noises at first and if you don't replace it soon, you'll then hear the loud vibrating rhythmic whirring noises. If you ignore this -- which I have done -- you'll soon start seeing bluish smoke rising from your computer and a sickly smell of burnt plastic that takes almost a week to rid from your room.

I assume your using the stock CPU fan, in which case, there are no means to adjust the fan speed. I had many ThermalTake CPU heatsink/fans (Volcano 7, 8 and 11) which offer two methods of adjusting the fan speed. One by placing a sensor running from the fan to the underside of the CPU core which adjusts the fan speed depending on CPU usage and/or ambient heat. The other is controlled by a small rheostat (like a volume knob) to adjust the speed manually.

Currently, I have a ThermalTake SilentBoost which has no fan speed adjustment on it, but it has been designed to provide maximum cooling for minimum noise. I've had it for nearly 6 months now and I love it. I was impressed with the Volcanoes that I owned, but they got very noisy when the CPU was at full load. Not only that, but my Athlon 2400+ at full load with the Volcano 11 was 54*C, which isn't bad, but the SilentBoost has never let the temperature reach 38*C and it produces less than half the noise of the Volcano.

I'm not plugging ThermalTake here, I've never really had a chance to explore other cooling options provided by other vendors. But if you're after a quiet and good cooling solution, then you should check out products made by ThermalTake, Zalman and CoolerMaster to name a few.

Best of luck!

anibal187
06-22-2005, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the reply Srek.
This noise is driving me crazy so I placed the computer as far away as the cables allowed me to. Also I ordered a silent fan, the Nexus PHT-3600. It will arrive in like 8 weeks so I'll have to live with this sound 2 more months :banghead:.

anibal187
06-24-2005, 06:42 PM
Thanks Jaa, when I answered Srek your post wasn't there yet... weird.
The fan is just loud, it does not make all the noises you say yours did before passing away, which by the way I suppose it was a sad and expensive moment to get through.
I believe the fan I ordered will solve my problem (Nexus PHT-3600) but thank you for giving you advise on those Thermaltake models.

CGTalk Moderation
06-24-2005, 06:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.