PDA

View Full Version : 2-MINUTE FILM CLUB! THE BIG CHASE: Ben Allington (ANIMATED)

jammin
06-22-2005, 06:10 AM
a man is sitting in his studio during a rainstorm.

He begins to sketch, then crumples the paper and throws it at the garbage can where it falls amidst many other crumpled wads of paper. Somewhat irked, he tries again but like before, he crumples the paper and throws it away. Getting frustrated, he tries again with no success. Ever the persistent artist, he keeps trying and each time he crumples up the paper he is becoming more and more upset -he is really starting to loose it. Just at the point where he feels he is going insane, he pauses. He finally has a good idea; this is it, the best idea EVER! Excited, he once again puts pencil to paper and begins to sketch. Suddenly, lightning strikes, the power goes out and the man is left sitting in the dark.

well, it seemed funny (or something) at the time -any thoughts?

stepington
06-22-2005, 07:35 AM
Hey man,

Great take on the Chase! Is this 2d or 3d?
My ideas always occure when I'm far far away from my desk - thank goodness for sketchbooks and candles.

jammin
06-22-2005, 08:06 AM
thanks stepington,

it's going to be very simple 3d -not low-poly really, but kinda monochromish with very little texturing...

AWBenson
06-22-2005, 01:08 PM
An interesting idea, one that most people that visit this forum would understand. What programs are you planning on using and is this something you will be working alone or in a small group?

AWBenson

jammin
06-22-2005, 04:41 PM
thanks for the interest AWB,

it'll be just me -i have some previous committments that'd make it very hard for me to work with a group. plus, if i keep it simple enough, i think i should be able to just about finish it in the short time left.

i'll just be using 3ds max, audition, and after effects

Scott Harris
06-23-2005, 04:33 PM
ha, i like the story

how's it going so far?

jammin
06-23-2005, 08:26 PM
pretty slow Scott -i really won't have time to get going full blast on this until after this weekend.

I've just about got the 'boards done and i've been making a very simple animatic as i go, just to help with the timing of shots, pacing, story -you know, all the good stuff.

as it stands right now, the short will be just a little over a minute (+/- 00;01;10) and have about 20 shots.

hope to have these posted by the end of the weekend

ben

jammin
06-27-2005, 03:29 AM
finally some boards!

any comments, suggestions are appreciated

ben

Scott Harris
06-27-2005, 03:12 PM
I like it.
Do you have a character with facial expresions pre-made? or are you going to build one?

when will we see an animatic?

jammin
06-27-2005, 11:24 PM
i'm building the character from scratch (not wise i know, given the time left, but it's something i want to do and he won't be too detailed anyway) and i'm planning on using morph targets, since in one shot, at least, the character's expression changes on-camera

i hope to get an animatic up tonight

thanks for checking out my progress

ben

jammin
07-02-2005, 08:48 AM
i've decided to not post my storyboard animatic -it's pretty boring. when i get one that has a little more 3d in it, i'll put it up.

here is a rough still for the opening scene and a little work i've done on the main character

ZaKKoS
07-16-2005, 07:47 PM
Hey jammin are you still in the challenge? I really hope so! We don't want to lose someone along the way ;)

jammin
07-19-2005, 06:20 AM
thanks ZaKKoS, i sure appreciate your interest but i'm out of this challenge! i'll be finishing the short too, when i get a chance...

for now though, good luck -see ya in the next one!

ben

stepington
07-19-2005, 06:36 AM
Sorry to hear you're dropping out.

me too:sad:.

darn life altering events getting in the way - I've got about a million excuses. . . .

AWBenson
07-19-2005, 01:25 PM
I'm in the same boat and I understand whatever reasons you may have that caused the delay. I had to drop out because work sent me out of state for over a week and I wasn't able to setup the batch rendering before I left. Oh well, this gives me an excuse to refine the quickly made animation and tweek the lighting before rendering it with more options (like motion blur, which would help the running scenes look better but will 3-5x the rendering time for those parts).

So, it's a good and a bad for me. Wish you the best of luck and a speedy completion of your short.

AWBenson

RobertoOrtiz
07-27-2005, 01:30 PM
Just wanted to personally invite you to join:

2-MINUTE FILM CLUB!:Challenge:2 "The fight" (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=261978)

-R

CGTalk Moderation
07-27-2005, 01:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.