marc001
06-22-2005, 04:18 AM
Newest version:
http://www.cyborgkatana.com/images/gamemenu08.jpg
An in-game menu.

http://www.cyborgkatana.com/images/gamemenu01.jpg

Blackgeni
06-22-2005, 06:37 AM
In what kind of style is your game supposed to be? Now it looks abit rounded of with not much detail.

Wayne Adams
06-22-2005, 11:06 AM
Can't say much about the apple farm graphic, as for the window itself..it looks real good, gives off a balders gate kinda feel. explain the purposes of the icons and what they are meant to do. It would be neat to see what you have cooked up for such a menu.

AdamAtomic
06-22-2005, 04:27 PM
The drop shadow is overdone, I think, it make the presentation feel rather dark and fuzzy. The marble texture doesn't fit when it is applied to those thin, beveled tabs, it seems very out of place. I would either redesign the tabs to fit the material or come up with a different material to apply to most of your frame. Simple is good; a rather plain background might work better than that busy marble, and you could simply add little highlights like bolts or rivets in the corner. When you're using the bevel layer effect, you may have more success with less extreme shadows and highlights, and I would experiment with tinting the shadow and highlight colors away from pure white and pure black.

Overall I think it is too busy, and too "photoshop".

CodeNothing
06-22-2005, 07:39 PM
fairly terrible. LOL. but there is hope. The placement and organization is good, but everything else is over done, too big, too busy, and too many filters.

First of all the viewing area i assume is the game window is only about 15-20% of the screen. You should push to make your game window as large as possible. People dont want to look at your menus, they want to see the world. Try and limit your menus to about 15-20% of the screen. Hopefully less.

Cut down the size of everything. Your fruit could be 1/5 that size and still be recognisable. Your icons at the bottom could be 1/5 the size as well. The Title at top needs to be made as small as possible if not removed because it seems to be the title of the game and its un-nessisary to remind the player what game they are playing.

as for the style, way over done. Less is more. Your boarders are too thick, they have overpowering shadows (you should just drop the shadows completely) and your gold boarders are too loud.

My best suggestion would be to look at menus from The sims 2. Take a look at how simple and MINIMAL the boarders, and menus are. They have only 2 or 3 colors, very thin linework, and very SMALL icons.

your icons are very good though. I can clearly understand how to play this game just by looking at the buttons. Their just too big. :)

good luck with it!

marc001
06-23-2005, 04:23 AM
Things changed:
1. removed marble
2. tinted shadows blue
3. enlarged illustration window
4. reduced icon size
5. new buttons

In what kind of style is your game supposed to be? Now it looks abit rounded of with not much detail.
A strategy game. The low detail items are just place holders until the finished items are done.
explain the purposes of the icons and what they are meant to do. It would be neat to see what you have cooked up for such a menu.
The fruit icons on the left are for the type of farm. The bottom ones are: farmers, farming tools, and fruit. The x in the upper right corner is for closing the UI.
The drop shadow is overdone, I think, it make the presentation feel rather dark and fuzzy. The marble texture doesn't fit when it is applied to those thin, beveled tabs, it seems very out of place. I would either redesign the tabs to fit the material or come up with a different material to apply to most of your frame. Simple is good; a rather plain background might work better than that busy marble, and you could simply add little highlights like bolts or rivets in the corner. When you're using the bevel layer effect, you may have more success with less extreme shadows and highlights, and I would experiment with tinting the shadow and highlight colors away from pure white and pure black.
Drop shadow distance is reduced to 1 pixel. The tabs are now round buttons, and the folders overlap. Now the selected folder and tab overlap the folders underneath. Overall the opacity for the shadows and highlights have been reduced. The shadows are now blue instead of black.
fairly terrible. LOL. but there is hope. The placement and organization is good, but everything else is over done, too big, too busy, and too many filters.

First of all the viewing area i assume is the game window is only about 15-20% of the screen. You should push to make your game window as large as possible. People dont want to look at your menus, they want to see the world. Try and limit your menus to about 15-20% of the screen. Hopefully less.

Cut down the size of everything. Your fruit could be 1/5 that size and still be recognisable. Your icons at the bottom could be 1/5 the size as well. The Title at top needs to be made as small as possible if not removed because it seems to be the title of the game and its un-nessisary to remind the player what game they are playing.

as for the style, way over done. Less is more. Your boarders are too thick, they have overpowering shadows (you should just drop the shadows completely) and your gold boarders are too loud.

My best suggestion would be to look at menus from The sims 2. Take a look at how simple and MINIMAL the boarders, and menus are. They have only 2 or 3 colors, very thin linework, and very SMALL icons.

your icons are very good though. I can clearly understand how to play this game just by looking at the buttons. Their just too big. :)

good luck with it!
What appears to be the game window is an illustration window. The illustration window is bigger and everything else smaller. The border thickness is now thinner. The color in the borders is less staturated. Instead of Sims 2, it's more like a menu in Tropico 2, or a similar strategy game. Clicking on a button on the main UI should open another floating UI on top of the game.

http://www.cyborgkatana.com/images/gamemenu02.jpg

marc001
06-30-2005, 10:26 AM
Things changed:
1. Changed images on side buttons
2. Reduced overlap on buttons
3. Colored bottom buttons
4. Added gradient sky to illustration
5. Added grass hills to illustration
5. Modeled and textured new farm.

The side button images are still place holders and will be replaced by 3D rendered versions based on these images.

http://www.cyborgkatana.com/images/gamemenu03.jpg

brian
06-30-2005, 01:12 PM
you need soemthing in the gray area

SpiralFace
06-30-2005, 05:24 PM
The real fruit pictures seem too busy, It's destracting When it comes to the page tab. With the simplistic fruit, you can clearly see what page you are on. But the busyness of the pics with the fruit pictures makes it dificult to make out. Iether change it to a simpler pic, or do something with the realistic ones (like slighty enlarge the tab and pull it more out of line with the other tabs.) to make it more distinguised on what page you are on.

beeglebug
06-30-2005, 05:56 PM
Why not try making the images for the tabs not currently selected black and white, and only the current one in color? Have you also got any plans for rollovers or anything other forms of highlighting? I also agree that some of the gray areas could do with some texture to them, perhaps just a gradient? Finally, I think you should tone down sone of the drop shadows on the fonts, they make it look a little unprofessional.

Hope some of that is useful to you! :)

CodeNothing
06-30-2005, 06:26 PM
Huge Improvement! :)

marc001
07-02-2005, 11:02 AM
http://www.cyborgkatana.com/images/gamemenu04.jpg

Things changed:
1. Changed foreground grass from green to yellow
2. Added windows to farm structure
3. Added apple trees
4. Added a gaussian blurred version of the image on top, and screened it at a lower opacity.
5. Added lens flare

The illustration was falling behind everything else and needed more work.

you need soemthing in the gray area
Agreed. It's on the "to do" list. There will be a faint stone texture in the grey in a future version.

The real fruit pictures seem too busy, It's destracting When it comes to the page tab. With the simplistic fruit, you can clearly see what page you are on. But the busyness of the pics with the fruit pictures makes it dificult to make out. Iether change it to a simpler pic, or do something with the realistic ones (like slighty enlarge the tab and pull it more out of line with the other tabs.) to make it more distinguised on what page you are on.
The buttons in a future version will have a 3D rendered version attached to it's coresponding tree on a gradient background. Also the folder will have more overlap, a half way point between the previous version, and the one before it.

Why not try making the images for the tabs not currently selected black and white, and only the current one in color? Have you also got any plans for rollovers or anything other forms of highlighting? I also agree that some of the gray areas could do with some texture to them, perhaps just a gradient? Finally, I think you should tone down sone of the drop shadows on the fonts, they make it look a little unprofessional.

Hope some of that is useful to you!
The unselected tabs need to be in color. No rollovers or hightlighting for now. In a future update the text will sit on top of a banner. Depending on how it looks, the drop shadow may, or may not need the opacity changed.

Huge Improvement!
Thanks

Wayne Adams
07-02-2005, 11:46 AM
I think those little tabs should break from the border of the menu, like all the gray area, just kill, and let them hang, it would break up the box outline, and thats usually a good thing.

qrt
07-02-2005, 10:13 PM
new ver is beter, .. do anather new :) .

marc001
07-04-2005, 10:26 AM
http://www.cyborgkatana.com/images/gamemenu05.jpg

Things changed:
1. Reduced shadows in foreground grass
2. Added door to farm
3. Added stone texture to folder
4. Fixed tab overlaps
5. Darkened rear tabs
6. Adjusted spacing around illustration, and text windows
7. Added banner to "Fruit Farms" text
8. Color corrected tree trunks from green to brown
9. Darkened apples on the trees
10. Darkened colors of bottom buttons

I think those little tabs should break from the border of the menu, like all the gray area, just kill, and let them hang, it would break up the box outline, and thats usually a good thing.
Added seperation between the buttons and the windows. The plain grey wont be there, so the menu will be a floating UI that the user will pull up during the game.

new ver is beter, .. do anather new
Here's the new one. I aim to make better versions with each update.

marc001
07-06-2005, 09:55 AM
http://www.cyborgkatana.com/images/gamemenu06.jpg

Things changed:
1. New side menu buttons.

The orange, apple, bannana, and pear buttons are done. The lemon, and cherry buttons still need work.

itsallgoode9
07-06-2005, 11:25 AM
Personally, I don't don't think the round, bubbly type of buttons you have go well with the type of stuff they are selecting. All the items, and the farm itself, are all very oranic and naturey objects and settings in real life, yet you have these dimensional buttons that are round and sleek, and feel very sterile and and CG. I don't know how much the design style is up to you, but I think there could be a much better design that fits better with the subject matter.... I think the one with the banner is the better of the examples because it fits with the picture alot better, and even though I don't particuarly like the texture on the menu, the texture and green color does help it's design mesh with its purpose better. Overall it kinda feels like a template menu that you picked from a program and just plugged pictures into it. I guess it just feels generic to me. The one thing I do like, is the bronze border though. It has a nice color and feel that seems to fit in my mind. Of course, everything I commented on is extrememly subjective.

marc001
07-07-2005, 10:18 AM
http://www.cyborgkatana.com/images/gamemenu08.jpg

Things changed:
1. Swaped stone texture for a one with more detail, and color
2. Detailed bronze edges with dirt
3. Added lemon, and cherry buttons
4. Desaturated colors of side buttons
5. Added moss textures to window edges
6. Removed round bubble effect from buttons
7. Textured bottom buttons

Personally, I don't don't think the round, bubbly type of buttons you have go well with the type of stuff they are selecting. All the items, and the farm itself, are all very oranic and naturey objects and settings in real life, yet you have these dimensional buttons that are round and sleek, and feel very sterile and and CG. I don't know how much the design style is up to you, but I think there could be a much better design that fits better with the subject matter.... I think the one with the banner is the better of the examples because it fits with the picture alot better, and even though I don't particuarly like the texture on the menu, the texture and green color does help it's design mesh with its purpose better. Overall it kinda feels like a template menu that you picked from a program and just plugged pictures into it. I guess it just feels generic to me. The one thing I do like, is the bronze border though. It has a nice color and feel that seems to fit in my mind. Of course, everything I commented on is extrememly subjective.
The buttons no longer have the round bubble effect. The menu's texture is currently more detailed and colored. Added moss growing around the window's edges for an organic, natural look.

itsallgoode9
07-07-2005, 07:29 PM
Hey, I think that's starting looking alot better. To me it feels like the menu fits with the subject matter much better.:thumbsup:

marc001
07-14-2005, 01:01 AM

PetterSundnes
07-14-2005, 12:53 PM
Nice to see some interface work here too. Its a definate improvement in the visuals you have there. :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
07-14-2005, 12:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.