PDA

View Full Version : Are There?

Posterboy5k
06-22-2005, 02:32 AM
Any good 2D art jobs out there. If so could you list some and some of their salaries, because Im leaning towards an art career like well so many others I suppose... though I still would like some input on this...

Posterboy5k
06-22-2005, 08:26 AM
Sorry for the double post, but I guess since no reply in well... a pretty nice size forum like this means no.... I have been searching net for dozens of 2D art related jobs.. yet most offer poor salaries and although I really like art I enjoy living "comfortable" aswell. I really do not want to get into the 3D industry as in modeling since I never liked the idea of the sculpturing process or do I think that I would like using that type of idea in a 3D software package like Maya or 3DS Max. Im fully capable of learning any task in any field... yet I really enjoyed 2D illustrations and animation when I was younger and wished to pursue a career in either. Though traditional animation at the moment still isnt that good of a job salary wise and becoming a illustrator is not that much better salary wise. I have searched numerous ideas or forms of art that one could "get-into" in the art industry... though all have failed short to my expectations again... salary wise... Like I said I came here looking for some answers from some people who have experince like yourselves... Im not a newbie as you may call it. Im fully aware of the process of becoming a "good" artist and so on... I feel I could become a great artist ... though the salary isnt good considering the time and effort I would put in such a task.... thanks for reading... and sorry again for double post... :/

Stahlberg
06-22-2005, 08:46 AM
Sorry for the double post, but I guess since no reply in well... a pretty nice size forum like this means no....

Do you really think so?
Most members of the forum are students and hobbyists, with no jobs to offer and usually with very little knowledge of the market. Most of the small percentage of pros we have don't seem to come into the Art Discussion forum much (maybe because they're too busy making art to discuss it), and many of them wouldn't know the overall situation of the 2d job market anyway...
Finally, you're in the US. From the time stamp it seems like you posted in your evening, and checked for replies in the very early morning?? How would a 2d artist from the other side of the world know the job situation where you are?
Suggestions:
1. Search for similar questions, across the whole forum.
2. Search locally, where you live. (In the oldfashioned way, like we did before the internet.)
3. Go to the job search forum here and look around.
4. Have some patience, and maybe someone will reply with what you want (as you can see from my adress I can't help you)

Posterboy5k
06-22-2005, 09:07 AM
It is kinda interesting and basically bad that I cant find a "actual" job or jobs that "actually" have good salaries for 2D artist. I guess that alone answers my question. I have posted in numerous "art" forums and no replys. I guess many there are there for just the hobby.. as you mentioned... Seems like everything has gone 3DS MAX or MAYA and modelers are in somewhat demand by companys... I was looking into conceptart.. though the jobs for these are slim to few and salaries.. again are in the fair range... I was leaning towards traditional animation though the demand for those aren't that good... also we all know the shape that comic book industry are in... so hmmm guess being a illustrator come to mind.. though a fineartist isnt really my cup of tea and being a free-lance/full-time illustrator seems nice but the pay isnt that good... Really didnt find the answers I were looking for but thanks for the reply ... I guess. Maybe I just need to find a new career ... I hear doctors are in high demand.... :/ have nice day and thanks for replying ... like I said ... I guess :/

John Keates
06-22-2005, 09:46 AM
Its a tough world.

JMcWilliams
06-22-2005, 09:50 AM
I work in games, I do a lot of 2D work. Interface design primarily. There is plenty of 2D work out there, but you will have to look around. Texture artist, concept artist...
but that said, you would do well to learn 3D.

Anyway, do some searches... eg. http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&biw=841&q=2d+artist+vacancies&btnG=Search&meta=

ps. Nobody gets rich by just working 9-5. If huge salaries are what you are looking for, then no general art job will provide that for you.

mangual
06-22-2005, 12:49 PM
The only ones I could think of are:

Concept Artists
Texture Artists
Background Painters
Cartoonists
Illustrators

That's just off the top of my head. But as far as paying good salaries, I have no idea. Probably getting involved with the movie or game industry gives you the best shot.

You may want to ask Enayla, she appears to be a pretty good 2D artist (understatement of the week! give me a cookie)

Posterboy5k
06-22-2005, 05:24 PM
You guys/gals are great to help me out. Though the ones you mentioned I have already looked into and was not too impressed as salary wise... again it seems I keep falling to the same spot .... bad wages... compared to the time spent learning all the material. I also heard that most of the time there are "deadly" production deadlines where sometimes you are required to work on something for almost an entire day to complete it..... and the salary is low... come on that ridiculous. I guess I'll just find a new career and do like most here and just "do" art as a hobby, but it really makes me angry that 2D artist do not get paid more, because I know it takes alot of knowledge and time to learn even the art fundamentals let alone spending extra time improving your craft daily. Though I guess I was kind of foolish to think 2D art would be a "high-paying" job since 2D artist are not really in-demand. It would be great to make a passion into a career though thats the way things go... When Im taking care "money-wise" maybe I'll publish my own comic book or become a illustrator and be able to compensate for the low salary.. maybe even open up with a friend a own gaming-company since he is a top-noch programmer and do some 2D games or if it is my company I could be the concept artist and hire 3D artist to do the modeling and animation...who knows what the future.. holds.. Though Im set on becoming a doctor in some field. Kinda funny a career totally different than that I was expecting to study for.... thanks again and um you guys will go far just because you have a good attitude to help somebody looking ahead to better his future... thanks

meats
06-22-2005, 06:28 PM
I also heard that most of the time there are "deadly" production deadlines where sometimes you are required to work on something for almost an entire day to complete it

Wow! An entire day? And the next one, and the next one...then the weekend ones... yes.

Kargokultti
06-22-2005, 06:56 PM
Illustration work for technical manuals might well be a nine to five job.

But Posterboy, you won't even get so much as a sniff of a poorly paid arts related job if you're not willing to put in the work. Not to mention a well paid job.

JMcWilliams
06-22-2005, 07:37 PM
You guys/gals are great to help me out. Though the ones you mentioned I have already looked into and was not too impressed as salary wise... again it seems I keep falling to the same spot .... bad wages... compared to the time spent learning all the material. I also heard that most of the time there are "deadly" production deadlines where sometimes you are required to work on something for almost an entire day to complete it..... and the salary is low... come on that ridiculous. I guess I'll just find a new career and do like most here and just "do" art as a hobby, but it really makes me angry that 2D artist do not get paid more, because I know it takes alot of knowledge and time to learn even the art fundamentals let alone spending extra time improving your craft daily. Though I guess I was kind of foolish to think 2D art would be a "high-paying" job since 2D artist are not really in-demand. It would be great to make a passion into a career though thats the way things go... When Im taking care "money-wise" maybe I'll publish my own comic book or become a illustrator and be able to compensate for the low salary.. maybe even open up with a friend a own gaming-company since he is a top-noch programmer and do some 2D games or if it is my company I could be the concept artist and hire 3D artist to do the modeling and animation...who knows what the future.. holds.. Though Im set on becoming a doctor in some field. Kinda funny a career totally different than that I was expecting to study for.... thanks again and um you guys will go far just because you have a good attitude to help somebody looking ahead to better his future... thanks

Like most industries you are not going to go straight into it with a high level wage. You are just a worker, at first. How do you think you will set up a games company without knowing how games are made? ... you learn those things whilst working in games. It may sound simple, but there is a lot to games that you only learn when you work on them. :D

I got into this for the art really, I didn't really think much about salary at first, so of course my priorities are different. That said, the best and most fun art will always be my personal projects, so perhaps keeping it a hobby would suit you well. :D
Only you know the answer to that of course ;)

Good luck.

xmarek
06-22-2005, 07:52 PM
Sorry man, things dont come easy in life. If you are really thinking about money than, yes, maybe you should find another career and work in art as a 'hobby' as you said. But that would make your life a frustration, wouldnt it? Cmon, you spend most of your day working, I did many jobs before starting to work with Animation and I hated to stay 8hs doing something that I considered tedious or 'useless' just waiting to go home. BUt at that time, I needed the money, like anyone else. I couldnt imagine how my life would be doing 9-5 job just to get money and doing art as a hobby. I'd be so frustrated probably, and most of the time, irritable :)

The best thing is 'to get paid to do what you love'. It sounds romantic, it sound silly, but its true. Better getting paid X to make character and 3d animation than getting 5X to be a lawyer to me.:D

AS far as jobs in 2d, there are still lots of them I think. In the studio I work, we have 4 concept artists. Search for concept artists: movies and game industry need lots of them :thumbsup:

erlik
06-23-2005, 12:15 AM
Though I guess I was kind of foolish to think 2D art would be a "high-paying" job since 2D artist are not really in-demand.

Pffft.

Be good and you'll be in demand and highly paid. Take a look at Michael Whelan. I've heard he gets $15000 for a cover. I doubt that people like Jim Burns or Donato Giancola get peanuts for their images, too.

Just like in 3D, the competition in illustration business is very tough.

lol @ meats. :D :D

Lunatique
06-23-2005, 09:51 AM
Remember, everything you see around you in print that's not graphic design or photographs, are done by 2D artists. Then there are the concept art/matte painting/storyboarding jobs in film, animation, and video games.

There's commercial illustration. Pick up a copy of Society of Illustrators or Spectrum.

There's fine arts. Look at galleries.

There's comic books.

There's technical illustration.

There's even pinup art.

Ilikesoup
06-23-2005, 04:32 PM
I hear doctors are in high demand.... :/

Am I the only one concerned that comic book artist is his first choice and doctor is his "fallback"? :curious:

jmBoekestein
06-23-2005, 05:48 PM
Am I the only one concerned that comic book artist is his first choice and doctor is his "fallback"? :curious:

No actually, but I bet the ones who agree aren't posting/pointing him to the jobs...:rolleyes:...

Having said that, some countries don't even pay doctors. Better think of this as a society that values just money, not the fact that they can use it for something 'good'.

Well, that's kind of rude, but I'd say you could get pretty good money for being as good as Sargent. Hé, and when you do, could you please post me a tutorial to get that good. :)

Seriously, art is about passion. It has to convey something. If you don't go for the art, the art won't go for you. Unless you're a designer, I've never seen good 'design' in my life.

On the other hand though, I think you can also approach it rationally, on both accounts. You can think of what to portray, and you approach it with your intellect, sumbolise and metaphorise. And on the second account, ask yourself this: "why would I be so important? What can I do that all those others can't?*brain-click*"

JARhead
06-23-2005, 08:07 PM
[QUOTE=jmBoekestein]
Seriously, art is about passion. QUOTE]

Exactly so.

When it comes to putting food on the table, you need a job. Usally a job means long hours, horried customers, horried co-workers, bad pay, no time for your self, makes you tired, depression, small apartment, rodio clowns for some reason, tension, arthritis, coffee, I could go on but we all get what Im saying. If your going to go threw all this crap, then you might as well do what you love to do. If that dosent work out as well as you thought it was going to than hell, doctor aint that bad of a back up job.

gizmosart
06-25-2005, 04:44 PM
How much, people get paid.... in USA or europe?
by working in 2d art, comic book artist, 3d modeler,???

CGTalk Moderation
06-25-2005, 04:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.