PDA

View Full Version : Interesting lives--->Interesting art!

paperclip
06-21-2005, 09:30 PM
This thread is all about talking how people's lives impact their art-- share stories!

Van Gogh was originally a preacher, but was cast out of the church for being overly zealous. He then became envious of Gauguin and invited him down to his house to stay with him. He painted over 20 paintings immediately before he came. When Gauguin came, the two did not see eye to eye and one night Gauguin went out for a walk, when he met Van Gogh on the street holding a knife. Gauguin ran off but was woken up by police the next day, who told him that Van Gogh had cut off his ear and gone over to a brothel to give it to a prostitute. She then called the police.
After that, Van Gogh went into an insane asylum, where he spent the rest of his days. It's widely known that Van Gogh only sold one painting in his lifetime. I wonder how much of his popularity is due to his life? Even if he didn't have an interesting life, his works would still be cool, but would they resonate as much with the general public?

I always found it interesting when people's lives cross over into their art- Russeau was a customs officer in France, a relatively menial job, but he was famous for painting exotic scenes- his version of daydreaming?

fabianv
06-21-2005, 11:32 PM
Well.. I cant say Im very knowledgeable about other peoples lives but I can say that my own life has had some interesting set of events..

I think its very important for each and every artist to experience life out of his or hers comfort bubble to really understand how life is or how to be an artist.. its different for everyone.

In January I embarked on my journey to Europe.. for the last 6 months ive been spending time in Germany and Bulgaria.. visiting art galleries and meeting other artists. Here in Bulgaria Ive had the oppurtunity to sit down with my gf's step brother and discuss about artistic techniques and basically took in all the knowledge I can that he took 20 years to achieve!

I believe all of this impacted my life as an artist and I cant wait to get back to my studio and paint and to get back to my workstation and do digital paintings and learn 3d. If I didnt go on this voyage to Europe I believe I wouldnt have been able to think out of the box.

Every artist has to have some sort of travelling experience or encounters with the ''real world'' that places meaning and understanding in their lives..

Hope this is not off topic. I didnt cut my ear off or anything.. um.. yet.. :twisted:

jmBoekestein
06-21-2005, 11:37 PM
Good point!

Equally good point to state this in a digital art forum, having the socialites stagnating someplace else while discussing the matter.

I say he did some good stuff, I also say I've seen people do better stuff, by the dozens.

edit: btw, van Gogh had a weird form of epilepsia, it's located in the part where he processed visual information, leading to euforics and what not kinds of images. Fairly complex to explain here, but it might explain a bit of the appeal of his stuff.

peaches
06-22-2005, 12:32 AM
i think i agree with that whole theory, about interesting lives/art. just yesterday my music teacher was tlaking to me about beethoven's life, because i'm currently learning one of his most famous, if not -the- most famous, Sonatas. and its really interesting to see how something becomes clearer when you find out more about the artist's life and background.

btw, have you ever listened to Starry, Starry Night by Don Mclean i think, about van gogh and his works? its beautiful.

paperclip
06-22-2005, 12:55 AM
i think i agree with that whole theory, about interesting lives/art. just yesterday my music teacher was tlaking to me about beethoven's life, because i'm currently learning one of his most famous, if not -the- most famous, Sonatas. and its really interesting to see how something becomes clearer when you find out more about the artist's life and background.

btw, have you ever listened to Starry, Starry Night by Don Mclean i think, about van gogh and his works? its beautiful.

Tell us the story! This is a story/discussion thread, after all.

erilaz
06-22-2005, 01:32 AM
One of my favourite artists, Miyamoto Musashi, had one of the most interesting lives I've ever heard (the real life, not the legend). I'd go into detail, but it's a huge story. To sum it up, he was a self-taught samurai that decided he wanted to become knowledgable in all the arts... so he did. He was a master tea practitioner, well versed in Noh drama, was a strikingly impactful brush artist, a potter, an agriculturalist, poet and master swordsman. He did have a problem with bathing though, and quite often went months without washing or changing clothes.

peaches
06-22-2005, 02:44 AM
Tell us the story! This is a story/discussion thread, after all.

well, basically, beethoven was born in like a normal family, not royalty or anything. but he was phenomenal at playing the piano, so he got invitations to play for all these noble families and high classed people. all the ladies were very impressed, and obviously things happen. but everytime beethoven wanted to get more serious in relationships, the girls would back off because of course, noble ladies couldnt marry normal lower-classed men. now, some people would just move on and accept that life cant be everything you want it to be. but beethoven is the kind to want to try to change and make things better. obviously his attempts never worked, and already at age 27-30 he was losing quite a bit of his hearing. how can a musician function without his hearing? he never told any of his peers, because he was afraid that he'd lose 'clients', if you will. and he was very talented at putting his feelings, especially of depression d:, into his pieces, and made them very powerful. my teacher was telling me that he greatly admired beethoven for his bravery, and often thought about his music when he [teacher] is depressed at time.

once you know what artists have gone through, the more you'll understand how to interpret their work. not only for music, but for art in general.

Cyborgguineapig
06-22-2005, 03:32 AM
well, basically, beethoven was born in like a normal family, not royalty or anything. but he was phenomenal at playing the piano, so he got invitations to play for all these noble families and high classed people. all the ladies were very impressed, and obviously things happen. but everytime beethoven wanted to get more serious in relationships, the girls would back off because of course, noble ladies couldnt marry normal lower-classed men. now, some people would just move on and accept that life cant be everything you want it to be. but beethoven is the kind to want to try to change and make things better. obviously his attempts never worked, and already at age 27-30 he was losing quite a bit of his hearing. how can a musician function without his hearing? he never told any of his peers, because he was afraid that he'd lose 'clients', if you will. and he was very talented at putting his feelings, especially of depression d:, into his pieces, and made them very powerful. my teacher was telling me that he greatly admired beethoven for his bravery, and often thought about his music when he [teacher] is depressed at time.

once you know what artists have gone through, the more you'll understand how to interpret their work. not only for music, but for art in general.

well said:thumbsup:

peaches
06-23-2005, 04:28 PM
well said:thumbsup:

thank you.

anyone else got stories?

Squibbit
06-23-2005, 05:22 PM
well, i've lived all my life on the blade of a helicopter rotor, I
eat bats , pigeons and seagulls.
I only paint when the helicopter isn't in use, cause otherwise
my head is too dizzy.
I think the general dizzyness of it all reflects on my work
cause I'm unable to develop a solid ,cool style and just
do whatever in whatever way ?

TheCleaner
06-23-2005, 08:12 PM
Muybridge had murdered a man who his partner was having an affair with, ok he's not seen by many as an artist but i was still surprised to find it out.. his plates have provided refernce for animators and artists for decades

stepington
06-24-2005, 05:18 AM
post expired in a very natural sort of way

CGTalk Moderation
06-24-2005, 05:18 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.