PDA

View Full Version : Coming Soon: The Big Freeze (RULES WILL BE POSTED ON FRIDAY)

RobertoOrtiz
06-21-2005, 03:49 PM
Being the middle of Summer for a big chunk of our audience,
I tought this would be a cool topic.

Think of the movie Day After Tomorrow,
and you get the idea.

Just wanted to give a preview of the next topic.

More details coming soon

-R

jigu
06-21-2005, 04:31 PM
what will it be????????.......hmmmmm it will be very coooooooooool!!! and very challanging!!

sriramatrix
06-22-2005, 09:13 AM
This sound interesting...I might take part in this one:bounce:

anirudha
06-22-2005, 08:00 PM
seems like one has to play with lots of particles and textures.......pretty interesting

waiting for it.............when is this challenge starting.

Laeng
06-23-2005, 11:41 AM
Dream challenge Nr.2!

God, I love that movie, especially the stuff Danielle Plantec created.
Hope I find the time to participate.
Im doing my diploma work on burning surfaces. Would be good to cool them down somehow :cool:

ScottageCheese
07-02-2005, 05:58 PM
So Roberto....

Are there any specifics in this?... is it a freezing Sim?.. something being frozen?... doesnt have to be a city does it?.. it so over played.. the whole "city destruction" thing...

I'm down for this one... maybe i'll finish this time :rolleyes:

RobertoOrtiz
07-03-2005, 11:44 PM
Well i would like to hear the ideas you guys have for this topic.

I am leaning right now in the direction of trying something epic.

-R

ivanisavich
07-04-2005, 03:58 AM
Hows about a live action + cg mix...where you have to animate a person freezing, and then cracking apart.

Or what about a frozen creature climbing out of the snow (de-thawing)?

Or...we have to animate a huge ice-berg breaking apart as it floats in the ocean.

Just some thoughts :)

SuperMax
07-04-2005, 11:53 AM
Hows about a live action + cg mix...where you have to animate a person freezing, and then cracking apart.

Hasta La Vista! BABY!

http://sothis5.com/Terminator/t1000frozen.jpg

krazed
07-04-2005, 02:09 PM
If it were to involve humans/live footage, I think maybe footage could be provided, as some people (like me) may not have the resources to aquire footage themselves. I really like the ice idea though, quite a challenge.

Roux
07-04-2005, 02:26 PM
Speaking of frozen people, we could model my secretary!Seriously, I would love this to be a frozen city scape with a really big appearance using mattes and 3D just like TDAT. Hell might try it anyway with lots of nice aerial shots :) .

ScottageCheese
07-04-2005, 03:54 PM
I think it would be "cool" if we just leave it as, "The Big Freeze" and let everyone do thier own version. I for one, will not be frezzing a city... what a waist of time... I'd rather work on a much smaller scale and focus on the fx... and not just the rendering. This past FXwars was a prime example of that....

Whether it be a human freezing something with super powers... (Sub Zero, Frozone, Iceman)
...the Terminator bit
...Or just a landscape (a cottage in the mountains, Hoth, Krypton?!)

alex.dass
07-06-2005, 12:07 AM
If its called the big freeze, people will probably do cold stuff, just remember there is also that over used matrix effect lol, over used but still good if done correctly;)

jigu
07-06-2005, 03:27 AM
If its called the big freeze, people will probably do cold stuff, just remember there is also that over used matrix effect lol, over used but still good if done correctly;)

ur sentense means to my entry .....well if u have any crits plz give me on my thread it will be very helpful.and did i over use matrix effect? let me know.:)

michaeljr
07-06-2005, 04:42 AM
hmmm, kind of a hard one, so many definitions of what it coud be.

how about the PROCESS of freezing? you have to show something being frozen..... in the process, be it from a great storm or a freeze gun..

then have two, two catagories, EPIC and SMALL SCALE.

EPIC would be a vast city being destroyed like in the movies, SMALL SCALE would be someone freezing someone else with ice powers...

Gangstashers
07-08-2005, 02:20 PM
Hmm i just taught of a BIG freeze not just... freeze... so BIG as in a large scale of something. Like a city *ahumdayaftertommorowahum* or something as in a big creature? a big building, a big ant :P. I dont know.. it would be ''cool'' if something BIG got freezed but i would love to see some live footage and CG mix as tyson mentioned. Cauze ive not been able to see some good composeting since Zap's volcano.

Sheherryar

RobertoOrtiz
07-08-2005, 02:25 PM
Let me put it this way...

There is a reason why I posted this thread on the 2d art forums..
(and by the way, check it out for a surprise)

[/url][url="http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=256164"]WE WANT YOU! Looking for MATTE ARTISTS For the next FXWARS (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=256164)

-R

WhiteRabbitObj
07-11-2005, 07:45 AM
Roberto, when's the challenge due to start? I saw in some thread you said "in about a week", but I don't know when that was posted and am interested in a date! I need something to work on after work... now that I'm out of school I'm itching to participate in these challenges since I have free time finally.

As a side note, I agree with one of the posted suggestions, that it would be good to have provided footage if it's going to be a live-action + CG challenge, and I think it might also be considered to require all entries to use the same footage, just to see the different takes on things and so the playing field is level. I always enjoy seeing the vastly different takes people come up with on these challenges when left to their own devices, but I think it might also be interesting to see how the entries play out when confined to a certain piece of footage.

Roux
07-11-2005, 12:34 PM
Cool! :rolleyes: (bad humour)

Can't wait to get started.

Matte painting and big city?

anirudha
07-11-2005, 07:13 PM
eager to work on it! since i've entered very late
in fxwars.....carcrash
but i don't know a thing abt matte painting
i think its time to get my hands on to it.
but it would be really nice roberto
if all are provided with live action footage........
waiting for the guidelines.

Gangstashers
07-12-2005, 10:37 AM
YAY! sounds realy intresting rob!

but since this is the Compositing and Visual Effects (http://www.cgtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76) section, i think it would be realy nice to have CG with live footage! I mean Matte painting is realy cool with live footage so :) can't wait!!

Sheherryar

RobertoOrtiz
07-13-2005, 02:43 PM
Ok ill post the rules on Friday....

So feel free to post your ideas and suggestion for the topic, trust me, I am reading them.

-R

google monkey
07-13-2005, 04:19 PM
Something along the lines of a ice field/glacier break up, ie early scene in DAT or the crater formation/snowfield collapse at the end of X-Files: Fight the future.

mustan9
07-13-2005, 06:20 PM
Make sure to brake the rules into clear details of what you can do, and what you can not do so that people like me don't get carried away and go off topic. :)

mattclinch
07-15-2005, 02:44 PM
Patiently waiting! Forgot you would be on American time!

mustan9
07-15-2005, 06:18 PM
Patiently waiting! Forgot you would be on American time!

It's like 2:17pm here, and I'm looking forward to reading the rules. I've drafted up a couple of ideas for different possible rules, and hope one of them will be close.

RobertoOrtiz
07-15-2005, 07:34 PM
I am on US east coast time here....so I have some time people.
And if you have some ideas, please DO post them. I might use them and give you credit.

:)

-R

mustan9
07-15-2005, 07:57 PM
And if you have some ideas, please DO post them.

OK! :)

Animations can be submitted in any format including;

1) Traditional hand drawn cell animation
2) Macromedia Flash (SWF) animation for the Web
3) Video animation file such as AVI or MOV
4) Still photo such as JPG or TGA

Merits of the animations will be based on creativity, originality, inventive use of the software and the animation's ability to communicate ideas. Animations will also be judged according to existing visual effects and entertainment trends.

MOVIE POSTER VERSION OF CONTEST

Those who choose not to enter the animation contest can enter the MOVIE POSTER version of the contest.

The poster must contain a creative title, and be formatted in such as way to look and feel like a real poster for a movie.

ScottageCheese
07-15-2005, 08:09 PM
Mmmmmm naw I'm good... I think I'll stick with an actual CG (CGtalk) creation or FX simulation (FXwars)...

But thats just me....

jjstanley
07-15-2005, 08:11 PM
Maybe a fly through ice field scene like in Die Another Day. Or how about an ice palace? You could have a simulation of the building collapsing like in the movie.

Just some ideas.

I'm excited about it no matter how you make the rules, I just want to see just how far I can push my skills!

michaeljr
07-15-2005, 08:28 PM
like I said before, I think all that should be required is to "SHOWN" the process of something freezing.

I think it should be up to the individual artist to interpet that their own way. wheither that means they want to do a matte paiting disaster shot or a super hero freeze shot, they just have to show something FREEZING in process, in camera, upclose, not a mile away with a big whoosh of white puffy stuff...

and 2 months, we should get 2 months to work on it, cause this is going to be hard and very time comsuming to render, especially for those with single computer systems trying to do raytrace ice effects.

maybe break the contest into two areas, real and fantasy, real being giant storm, fantasy being Sub Zero freezing somone.

other than that, anything goes....

WhiteRabbitObj
07-15-2005, 09:26 PM
Don't split the contest, as there aren't all that many entries to begin with normally.

I have to strongly disagree with all the "leave it totally open-ended" comments. I really like to think of these contests as free training to people, and as training, they should be similar to real-world challenges where the artists have strict guidelines to follow. If a director wants a city to be frozen, there's lots of ways to do that, but it's still a city being frozen. Just saying "freeze something" is too wide open, as people said, it could be a super-hero, or a scientific experiment gone wrong, or a natural disaster, or a number of other things.

Anyhow, I think it should be something specific that people can focus on, as if we were all doing look-dev tests to bid on a show. I think that will be a valuable experience for all the folks who are learning what it's like in the industry or have limited industry experience, such as myself.

---------------
---------------
My idea for the contest I just came up with while writing this... I think it leaves a lot of room up to imagination yet also defines a clearly defined goal.

"Deprived of its star's life-giving warmth, a planet dies alone in the frigid emptiness of space."

Rules:
-Show a planet freezing. Personal or impersonal levels (from space or from a person's viewpoint) doesn't matter, but a mix would be best.
-One month to complete.
-No CG-only entries. Must incorporate live-action or matte-painted elements.

What's BIGger than a planet freezing after all? I can think of a ton of different ways to go about this challenge and I would be very interested to see how people approached it.

michaeljr
07-15-2005, 10:12 PM
I don't see it that much as free training....it's more a contest, best man or women wins.... it's not the same as in the tutorial area or in the normal areas, this is a contest... with HUGE big skill level differences....

in the "Real world" you wouldn't have a lot of time to learn, you gotta get up and go.. you got some R&D time and then off to the races.

a month, crazy short man, could take a month just to render out some of these effects....

rendering things like GI, SSS, caustics and refraction on ice and snow, that's going to take time man. how is it fair that some of us, like myself, may have multiple boxes to render on and others may only have one machine?

if it's OPEN, then they can decided if they want to concentrate on something small or something large.

for me I wouldn't care if someone did a Super Hero freeze effect and was against all the world freezes, if they did it better, they will win.

RobertoOrtiz
07-15-2005, 11:09 PM
ok these are the ideas I have so far.
The core of the challenge are two areas:
Composite work, Ice Element simulation. And as a bonus, matte work.

2 months
Team entries are STRONGLY encouraged.
Will require composite work on at least one shot
The shots have to look like deleted scenes from the movie "Day After Tomorrow". This is key, because the art direction of the shots HAS to fit with the look presented on the movie.
As a one time experiment I want to divide the topics on three mayor areas for people to work on. The can choose from:
* Glacier Breakup (moderate
* Flash Freeze (hard as hell) And this is where WhiteRabbit.obj ideas would fit in.
* Frozen city (moderate)
Well I am going to a local restaurant to eat dinner and type up the rules....
I will continue to check up the thread for your input
-R

WhiteRabbitObj
07-15-2005, 11:43 PM
Good plans but I still would suggest having only one category. I certainly don't mind focusing on any of those topics you suggested, though I think a glacier breakup could be boring. But I'll look forward to the write-up, cuz as soon as I finish Harry Potter, it's challenge time with a vengeance. :thumbsup:

ivanisavich
07-16-2005, 03:06 AM
Hmmm...ok I like it :)

And I like the choice of catagory...although I think you should incorporate that into the voting....so there can be a best in each catagory...as well as a best overall.

michaeljr
07-16-2005, 04:11 AM
I agree... if their are catagories to start, please lets keep them in the voting. even if one person enters one alone and they get an autowin is ok with me.

I would have completely gone a different way with the car crash if I had known all enteries were going to end up all together.

RobertoOrtiz
07-16-2005, 05:35 AM
Sorry guys, I am still polishing the idea. Please continue posting your ideas.
Thanks,
-R

michaeljr
07-16-2005, 05:44 AM
Take your time, why not wait and post Sunday night at midnight on Monday morning?

start it the beggining of a week, everyone already knows it has to do with ice so they can spent the weekend messing with techniques for rendering ice and snow.

that way the voting can start on a monday. start it july 18th end it september 12th, that's 8 weeks... 2 months even.

3DEffects
07-16-2005, 11:58 AM
Hi Guys!

I love ur ideas! I would like to participate in this challenge very much! The only problem is that I haven't seen the film (Day After Tomorrow).:sad: Only saw the trailer. Am I still able to participate?:shrug:

Thanks,
3DEffects

mattclinch
07-16-2005, 03:54 PM
Just been having a little think. How about this for a open but quite specific brief?

How about 'THE BIG FREEZE' as a FREEZING RAY. A madmans weapons of choice. - the main visual effects having to be:

1. The RAY - however you decide to manifest it. A cold, powerful beam that freezes on impact and spreads its sub zero temperatures around.

2. The FREEZING EFFECT - the textures icing over with extreme frost, large sweeping shards of ice spreading away from the beam as it freezes the escaping water.

3. The SHATTERING - as the planet, objects, people, animals, water hydants etc are caught mid movement they freeze instantly and shatter to a thousand pieces.

The scale could be dependant on the person.. be it an infantry-esque weapon, a tank sized city destroyer, or a death-star style planet annihilator. Inspiration wise, i was thinking of 'Batman and Robin's Mr Freeze and his weapon, too the kind of beam that you see from the alien ships in Independance Day.

Entries could feature matte paintings, live action footage, all cg elements. Whether or not you wanted to judge as seperate catagories is up to you. I suppose it could still be done in the style of DAT.

Just my two cents. Everyone was voicing there opinion, felt i should at least give mine.

RobertoOrtiz
07-16-2005, 05:15 PM
Just been having a little think. How about this for a open but quite specific brief?

How about 'THE BIG FREEZE' as a FREEZING RAY. A madmans weapons of choice. - the main visual effects having to be:

1. The RAY - however you decide to manifest it. A cold, powerful beam that freezes on impact and spreads its sub zero temperatures around.

2. The FREEZING EFFECT - the textures icing over with extreme frost, large sweeping shards of ice spreading away from the beam as it freezes the escaping water.

3. The SHATTERING - as the planet, objects, people, animals, water hydants etc are caught mid movement they freeze instantly and shatter to a thousand pieces.

The scale could be dependant on the person.. be it an infantry-esque weapon, a tank sized city destroyer, or a death-star style planet annihilator. Inspiration wise, i was thinking of 'Batman and Robin's Mr Freeze and his weapon, too the kind of beam that you see from the alien ships in Independance Day.

Entries could feature matte paintings, live action footage, all cg elements. Whether or not you wanted to judge as seperate catagories is up to you. I suppose it could still be done in the style of DAT.

Just my two cents. Everyone was voicing there opinion, felt i should at least give mine.

Great ideas, but ill do the freeze effect as a different challenge. It would be called the "The Freeze Ray". For this challenge I want to do something related to an enviroment.

-R

mustan9
07-17-2005, 03:52 PM
* Glacier Breakup (moderate)
* Flash Freeze (hard as hell) And this is where WhiteRabbit.obj ideas would fit in.
* Frozen city (moderate)

There is a part in the Day after Tomorrow when some choppers suddenly have their gas lines freeze, and then they crash. The pilots try to climb out and are froozen.

I'd like to do a scene like that. Would this qualify as a valid entry?

Would anyone like to work together on this with me?

ivanisavich
07-17-2005, 04:31 PM
I don't see why that wouldn't fit under "flash freeze" :)

3DEffects
07-17-2005, 05:05 PM
Like ur idea mustan9! I haven't seen the film (only the trailer) and I would like to point out two scenes that may be good to make:

SCENE 1:**I have my doubts about this but...i'll try just the same**
A big tidal wave flowing over and flooding a whole city?

SCENE 2:
Big Storms of snow turn city building, bit by bit into frozen structures?

SCENE 3:**may be abit difficult and long to do**
Combine the two scenes together:
A giant wave floods the city whilst snow storms occur above it?

What do u think?

Thanks,
3DEffects

mustan9
07-17-2005, 05:27 PM
SCENE 1:**I have my doubts about this but...i'll try just the same**
A big tidal wave flowing over and flooding a whole city?

I've always had a hard time creating realistic looking foam on the surface of water. The dynamics of the water motion around objects will be very hard to do without some type of water simulator like RealFlow.

If you watch the movie, then you'll see that they do shots like this from very limited perspectives. For example; From high above, or looking straight down a street. The angles that give a perspective of the city are the hartest to do, since you can see the motion of the water much clearer.

If you do most of your water effects from a "straight down the street" perspect and straight above the city, then they might be do able. I'd personally do some test renders before I commit myself to a project like that.

SCENE 2: Big Storms of snow turn city building, bit by bit into frozen structures?

Lots and lots of particle simulations. That's the problem with snow! It has to flow in the air and look natural and smooth. Also requires a lot of motion blur passes, and nice looking snow shaders.

You could do the build up of snow on the surface of objects by changes camera angles, and showing an increase that way.

In real life snow does not build up quickly. Anything lite enough to float around in the air is too lite to land and build up, and anything heavy enough would not blow around but fall straight down. (I know cuase I live in Canada!) :)

SCENE 3:**may be abit difficult and long to do** Combine the two scenes together: A giant wave floods the city whilst snow storms occur above it?

How about something like this.

The city is already frozen, and an ice braker is working it's way down main street!

3DEffects
07-17-2005, 05:44 PM
Wow mustan9! I love it! Thanks! Thanks for ur opinions about my suggestions.:D I had my doubts about them aswell. I like ur idea u gave me! I'll try and c if I am able to do something like that and hope maybe to find a partner or team to work with!:D

Thanks,
3DEffects

alex.dass
07-17-2005, 08:20 PM
I no this has probably been said, so im sorry in advance, but does it have to be like a scene from the day after tomorrow and does have to be ice, i have some ideas of like everything stopping in mid air (spider man 1 before he gets hit) kinda thing, or someone freezing then breaking, it would cover all the rules other than that it isnt a scene from day after tomorrow.

ta-arts
07-17-2005, 08:58 PM
i agree with alex.dass ... i have few other visions about the scene, and they are not even close to the DayAfterTomorrow style ... but i'll guess we just have to wait for the rules ...

-T-

Jozvex
07-18-2005, 12:24 AM
Anyone can really do whatever they like, just don't expect to be judged and voted on against the people who stay within the breif I suppose.

How would people compare a bullet-time effect to a house freezing over? They're radically different shots apart from that you can use the word 'freeze' to describe parts of them both.

Saying it has to be "Day After Tomorrow" style is a pretty broad spectrum of freezing effects, there should be plenty of effects for people to come up with.

RobertoOrtiz
07-18-2005, 12:32 AM
Chill(pun intended)

the rules will be very specifc.
After all it is a COMPOSITE challenge.

-R

RobertoOrtiz
07-18-2005, 05:51 AM
CgTalk:FXWars! The Big Freeze/Blizzard Challenge:7 (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=259629)

Jozvex
07-18-2005, 07:25 AM
Yay cool!

I might pretend I have time and work up an idea.

CGTalk Moderation
07-18-2005, 07:25 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.