PDA

View Full Version : Character setup problem

ApocX
02-18-2002, 02:58 PM
Finally decided to try some character rigging etc... With Vertex paint, I was quickly able to apply weights to my skelegons / test them out etc... Everything worked great in the Vertex paint simulation. But then I bring the model into layout, and certain bones (the arms) seem to be effecting 2 / 3 vertices from things like the armor / back (it deforms the model and looks terrible). I can't seem to find the points on the weight map, and I've checked the influences over and over and...you get the picture. Is there any way to view weighted points in a weight map? I must have some at 1% or something like that...

ApocX
02-18-2002, 03:30 PM
Ok...found that it's much better to calculate weights first (64 / 128...whatever looks best) and then just edit from there. If you paint your own weight maps, be careful. Figured I'd throw in that warning / suggestion to save some of you a headache. Vertex Paint Rocks! :)

King
02-19-2002, 02:06 AM
How is animating in Lightwave?

I have not touched it for years and I'm interested in checking it all out again.
I have been using Maya for three years.. Before that SoftImage was the tool.

Can anyone make a comparison with Lightwave to Maya. (Animation, Rigging, IK etc.?)

Thanks

King

ApocX
02-19-2002, 04:01 AM
I'm more of a modeler, so animation scares the hell out of me :)

But I have to admit, having never made a character rig before, it was incredibly easy to setup.

Glenn
02-22-2002, 12:58 AM
ApocX, I've been experimenting with bones & weightmaps as well. I've achieved the best (ie, most predictable) results by painting weightmaps in vertex paint, ensuring that normalization is checked on. Then in Layout when I'm associating them with a bone, I make sure "use weightmap only" is checked on -- otherwise it will use a bone's area of influence in addition to the weightmap. This could be what was happening to you before.

ApocX
02-22-2002, 01:46 PM
That might have been it...

Now I just skelegon one side of the char, calculate the weights, tweak them and mirror everything. Seems to work great!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.