PDA

View Full Version : Rotating in viewport....

DEINC
06-21-2005, 03:20 AM
I've used Silo, Maya and Modo and have noticed that rotating in the viewport is different in Modo. When I rotate around in Modo I get all lopsided pretty quickly so I was wondering if there's a way to set viewport rotation so it works similar to Maya and Silo? It's the one big drawback for me working in Modo.

DanSilverman
06-21-2005, 06:53 AM
In the second "button" at the top of the viewport (It will say something like Texture, Wireframe, shaded, etc) is an option to turn off "Trackball Rotation". Click this button and go to the second option from the bottom (Trackball Rotation) and click it to uncheck it. Now your viewport will rotate as in other packages.

DEINC
06-21-2005, 02:18 PM
Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for.

seneca
06-22-2005, 12:03 AM
Trackball rotation's actually very awesome..... There are a lot of people that didn't know how trackball rotation works, but once they did, they never went back to the other rotation type.

1) if you rotate near the center of the view, you get trackball rotation.
2) if you rotate near the border of the screen, you "roll" the camera.

It actually makes it so you can very quickly get *any* angle physically possible, whereas normal camera rotations have a ton of gimble lock and so looking at something from above is very annoying.

this gif shows trackball rotation and how you "roll" the camera... (and no, you don't have to be that careful rolling the camera. I should probably redo that gif. It's more intuitive than it looks)
http://www.idsoftware.com/public/seneca/modo/trackball.gif

DanSilverman
06-22-2005, 06:54 AM
Oh, I know how trackball rotation works and, personally, I hate it. But that's me :) .

jbecana
06-30-2005, 06:39 PM
Hey, didn't know that after some years using it, thanks. One question not related to this... how did you do this .gif ?? it's a wonderful way to show simple animations... do you use any capture soft like camtasia? how do you convert the animation to gif format. Sorry I'm kind of ignorant of these web tricks...and looked to me

seneca
07-01-2005, 12:12 AM
Yeah, I bought that Camtasia studio app, so I don't know if there's any difference between the studio version and the free version.... In the studio version, it can write files out to AVIs, GIFs, MOVs, flash, etc..... Is the free version limited?

What I love about animated gifs is that they're normally pretty small files, can be viewed by everyone without them having to download any additional software, and are normally posted directly into the forums so people can see 'em without even clicking on 'em... So much better than having to wait for AVIs to download or whatever.... ....although I have no idea how to get images to show up on cgtalk's forums without making people have to click on 'em... :(

The only problem with 'em is that the longer they get, their playback gets slower and slower, so I try to keep my gifs as short and lowres as possible.

jbecana
07-04-2005, 06:53 PM
I didn't know there was a free version :) OK, so it's the software that exports directly to gif format. I like this format for what you say. Camtasia Studio is 300$, too much for me now, given I don't make tutorials or similar things. I will look into that free version though..
Thanks for your answers,
Javier.

CGTalk Moderation
07-04-2005, 06:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.