PDA

View Full Version : Some new tools...

Havocgm
06-20-2005, 10:36 PM
I use primarily the humble combination of a wacom tablet, photoshop/illustrator and a sketchbook to do all of my art work. I was thinking of venturing into another program to "enhance" or explore further. I was looking at alias sketchbook and corel painter (obviously) and wondered what the general consensus on these progs are, and some pros and cons if you could spare 'em as well. let me know what you guys think.

Cheers;)

Gord-MacDonald
06-20-2005, 11:29 PM
I have painter 8 - it is a good tool, but I find it doesn't handle large files well (250mg +).

Gord

Nerd_Pack
06-22-2005, 02:08 PM
I tried sketchbook for a while, it was certainly fun, but not too too in depth. The gesture paint picker and tool picker was a blast, you could just drag in directions like in Maya to pick basic colors and tools and stuff. It's really for, well, sketching though, I found it pretty tough to get really detailed and into the painting, but it's great for more basic sketches.

Alias has a 14-day (I think) trial on their website, you can try it out of you want...

peaches
06-22-2005, 07:27 PM
i use about the same as you, +painter. i started with photoshop, but when i tried painter classic out [came with my tablet], i loved the painterly effects it gave. now i rarely use photoshop, because i feel like painter can give me the effects that i really wanted, ie. more traditional looks. the paint mixes well and looks almost real. and now i have Painter 9, and i think its amazing. so many brushes to choose from, so many different styles and settings. i recommend it.
as for alias, i wouldnt know. i'd like to try it out though.

PatternRecognition
06-23-2005, 12:49 PM
I'd suggest Painter - it also has a trial you can download, so I suggest trying it out :)

CGTalk Moderation
06-23-2005, 12:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.