PDA

View Full Version : Who Inspires You the Most?

Sylanya
06-20-2005, 03:23 PM
I don't know if you guys feel the same way, but some of the songs by Kelly Clarkson are just so inspirational for me. My two favorites are "Breakaway" and "Behind These Hazel Eyes". Breakaway has actually inspired a picture idea out of me (that I have yet to paint, but the idea is definitely there). "Behind These Hazel Eyes" is not only a beautiful song, but it also has an awesome music video (which you can check out here (http://www.kellyclarksonweb.com), it's in the news updates or the "media" section), and that music video inspired a story that I will probably paint a picutre to sometime as well.

So, do you guys get just as inspired by Kelly Clarkson's songs, or do you have another singer/writer/artist that inspires you everytime they come out with something new. Of course, another favorite of mine would be Linda Bergkvist, but that's hardly surprising (Linda, you seem to be everyone's favorite artist!).

character
06-20-2005, 04:54 PM
well, first of all, Brom. i get inspired everytime i see his artwork. i draw inspiration from him the most. everytime i see a new piece or something, i am just awestruck and want to continue my road down the art path.

now, my second choice of inspiration might draw a little commentary or critque from some people but i look to video games as another main source of inspiration. take for instance, world of warcraft. every time i play it and i'm looking at the characters and the environments i think to myself, wow, now i wanna go model. i usually end up just playing and then drawing later on, but it gets me motivated. right now i'm playing final fantasy online again and the artwork in that game is beautiful. it always inspires me to do more in my artwork, not only to keep up with the people out there, but because i want to be doing what those folks out there are doing. i currently do 3d and 2d graphics for a small start-up, but a dream of mine is to become a real-time 3d artist. anyhoo, went off subject there. carry on, hehe

peaches
06-20-2005, 07:34 PM
i think a lot of my inspiration comes from music that i listen to, and tahts almost everything. prog, classic rock, metal, classical, soundtrakcs, a bit of new age, well, things that evoke a lot of imagery obviously.
another important source of inspiration is everyone here, all the aweome artists that i aspire to become like. linda for one d:, but so many others too! i dont necessarily want to become professional artist per se, but i'd love to be able to attain a high level in this domain.
books, like tolkien, or lewis caroll's alice in wonderland also help.
thinking about random stuff is good too. or talking to someone, a friend.
i guess mostly i get inspired when i see other people's art. i'm so amazed sometimes, and i'm just like, ok now i want to do something like that.

Zeicon
06-20-2005, 07:49 PM
"Behind These Hazel Eyes" is not only a beautiful song, but it also has an awesome music video (which you can check out here (http://www.kellyclarksonweb.com/)

That was terrible! A superficial pop song with a stereotypical blonde in a wedding dress?! INSPIRATIONAL?!

Oh my...

I have to lay down for a moment...

ushio18
06-20-2005, 08:37 PM
indeed. Linda's paintings are very inspiring. You can keep looking at it for hours and still be amazed. Interesting choice of themes and fine craftsmanship.

Yoshitaka Amano and Gustav Klimt are really inspiring to me. I'm a huge final fantasy fan. (5,6 and 7.. didn't really like the ones that came after). And the music from those particular installments reach out to me more than the latter ones... mainly because they were less "pop song" like... if you guys haven't checked out the music from 6 or 7. highly recommended. especially the orchestrated versions.

character
06-21-2005, 03:28 PM
indeed. Linda's paintings are very inspiring. You can keep looking at it for hours and still be amazed. Interesting choice of themes and fine craftsmanship.

Yoshitaka Amano and Gustav Klimt are really inspiring to me. I'm a huge final fantasy fan. (5,6 and 7.. didn't really like the ones that came after). And the music from those particular installments reach out to me more than the latter ones... mainly because they were less "pop song" like... if you guys haven't checked out the music from 6 or 7. highly recommended. especially the orchestrated versions.

haha, i'm almost always listening to final fantasy music as well. that stuff rocks! go Nobou!

Magnemar
06-21-2005, 03:34 PM
Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, Shakespeare, Jesus, Craig Mullins, Jonny Norridge, My Wife, John Berger, Shigeru Miyamoto, Tony Robinson, Feng Zhu, Constable, Reynolds, Salvator Rosa, Turner, Hyung Tae Kim, El Greco, Titian, Tintoretto, Van Gogh, Cezanne, Mondrian, CS Lewis, Tolkien.

Plus others...

:)

Sylanya
06-21-2005, 06:17 PM
That was terrible! A superficial pop song with a stereotypical blonde in a wedding dress?! INSPIRATIONAL?!

Oh my...

I was talking about the story the music video displayed, genius. Besides, this thread is about who inspires you, not your opinions on what inspires me. I did not ask for a critique on my inspiration, thank you very much.

character
06-21-2005, 08:53 PM
Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, Shakespeare, Jesus, Craig Mullins, Jonny Norridge, My Wife, John Berger, Shigeru Miyamoto, Tony Robinson, Feng Zhu, Constable, Reynolds, Salvator Rosa, Turner, Hyung Tae Kim, El Greco, Titian, Tintoretto, Van Gogh, Cezanne, Mondrian, CS Lewis, Tolkien.

Plus others...

hehe, mostly the same here. except your wife of course! my gf takes that slot =)

I was talking about the story the music video displayed, genius. Besides, this thread is about who inspires you, not your opinions on what inspires me. I did not ask for a critique on my inspiration, thank you very much.

PWND! you go sylanya! haha

Ilikesoup
06-21-2005, 08:56 PM

Oh my...

Let him lay down. Maybe he'll be in a better mood when he wakes up. :shrug:

Me, if I could draw like Ray Charles sang. . .:love:
I read a great quote from him. He said that he wouldn't sing a particular song unless he could "stink it up" and make it his own. There was so much power and heart in his songs, and he could make an old standard sound like a totally different piece.

Zeicon
06-21-2005, 10:05 PM
I was talking about the story the music video displayed, genius.

Story?! What story?! Oh, you mean that one with the girl who decides to dump her guy during the wedding ceremony... the runaway-bride-thingie? Very original...

And the lyrics...

Seems like just yesterday, you were a part of me
I used to stand so tall, I used to be so strong
Your arms around me tight, everything it felt so right
Unbreakable, like nothing could go wrong

Alas! These four lines capture the essence of mainstream popular music. So superficial, so devoid of emotion. It pierces my soul and tortures my brain!

Well, maybe I am bit harsh. I mean, if it inspired you... fine... good for you. In fact, it inspired me too...

...to go puke :sad:

erilaz
06-21-2005, 11:52 PM
Zeicon, chill out. We're talking about personal inspiration, not individual tastes. Instead of attacking Sylanya, get back to the topic, and explain your inspiration.

jmBoekestein
06-22-2005, 12:00 AM
or don't...;)

ashakarc
06-22-2005, 12:01 AM
This is a question straight and simple. i.e. not loaded and fully well intended

How is this co-called inspiration translated into action?

If I am moved by something creative, it doesn't mean I am inspired by it, it just means it had a nice tingly feeling to experience. Inspiration, as far as I know, is when you come up with something as a result of something else, could be an idea, technique, move, gesture, etc...

I just don't understand these threads anymore.

jmBoekestein
06-22-2005, 12:08 AM
the point to these threads is I guess a feeling of belonging, and looking for something common to all of us. :)

Needless to say inspiration and such things will remain a mystery for a long time. But I personally do enjoy reading what others use for inspiration, it opens the mind to new possibilities for instance.

These<flippin mah who> that inspire you threads were great though.
All I'm thinking is that I enjoy the stronger individuality in artworks, it's more unique and personal that way. :D

lokki
06-22-2005, 04:24 AM
I can't nail down who or what inspires me, really. It just sort of happens, you know? Sometimes it's an event, or a small scene in real life, a face, a form in nature or technology, a thought...

Harder still is knowing how it will manifest. I was a DJ for a long time, so some things cause me to fire up my decks or the computer and start mixing. Other things make me want to take pictures, or do some sketching, maybe some writing, or even building a contraption or application that helps my team at work get their jobs done. Several times in any given day, I am driven to create in some fashion, whether it's artistic or practical or some combination.

What sparks that is entirely up to chance. I guess I've just taught myself to be open to the possibilities, but I have also learned that I can't go looking for inspiration, only more food for thought. Inspiration seems to be random blossom, a fruit that needs fertilizer and room to grow; it comes from the garden one cultivates during a lifetime of turning soil and planting seeds.

nelsig
07-21-2005, 12:34 PM
For me the most inspirational artists are :

HR Giger
Paul Cadmus
Ryden
Brom
Linda Berkvist
Michael Hussard
Edward Gorey

and a lot of others... but those are my beloved :scream:

Nico

paul.yan
07-29-2005, 10:49 PM
Bill Watterson. everytime.

dioxide
07-30-2005, 06:19 AM
Adam Weishaupt.

CCDrkNrgy
07-30-2005, 01:38 PM
As gooey as it sounds, my honeybunch inspires me the most. He is... my muse. :love:

Zephyri
07-31-2005, 10:25 PM
I can't nail down who or what inspires me, really. It just sort of happens, you know? Sometimes it's an event, or a small scene in real life, a face, a form in nature or technology, a thought...

Harder still is knowing how it will manifest. I was a DJ for a long time, so some things cause me to fire up my decks or the computer and start mixing. Other things make me want to take pictures, or do some sketching, maybe some writing, or even building a contraption or application that helps my team at work get their jobs done. Several times in any given day, I am driven to create in some fashion, whether it's artistic or practical or some combination.

What sparks that is entirely up to chance. I guess I've just taught myself to be open to the possibilities, but I have also learned that I can't go looking for inspiration, only more food for thought. Inspiration seems to be random blossom, a fruit that needs fertilizer and room to grow; it comes from the garden one cultivates during a lifetime of turning soil and planting seeds.

Pretty much all of that relates to me too, though it would be writing instead of mixing and DJing. Anything that sparks a vision, be it a glimpse of something I pass in a car, or the way two notes come together in a song, or the words themselves, a scene in a movie, or the way someone wears their clothes. Being a writer, almost any scene I see can spark off a tale, which then spawns pictures in my head.

But in terms of people who inspire me, I'd have to say BROM, most definitely, Dorian Cleavenger for his ability to make the grotesque beautiful, and Amano and Miyazaki for their ability to create whole stories in pictures. CG wise... as corny and slightly brown-nosing as it sounds, this whole site continues to be a boiling pot of idea sparkers and motivation as well as inspiration. CGTalk just rocks. :D

RO
07-31-2005, 10:47 PM
-Aubrey Beardsley
-Salvador Daili
-HR Giger
-M.C. Esher

many more but I am more inspired by a two specfic art eras. Victorian and Art Nouveau

Squibbit
07-31-2005, 11:01 PM
everything

erilaz
07-31-2005, 11:37 PM
I saw a documentary on Studio Ghibli on the weekend... so currently it's them. :D

Zeicon
08-01-2005, 01:06 AM
- Timothy Albee
- Rashad Redic
- Terrence Walker

and many others of course...

PSR
08-05-2005, 02:07 PM
Poetry. Here's one of my favourites:

http://www.bartleby.com/201/1.html

'The Waste Land' by T S Eliot

LadyMedusa
08-05-2005, 03:22 PM
Who inspires me? let see.
Antique masters really inspire me. Spechally Leonardo da Vinci, Bosch, Bottichelli, Tintoretto, Tiepolo and Veronese.

There are some more modern ones aswell that inspire me, Dalí and Bergkvist :)

AlyFell
08-05-2005, 06:36 PM
everything

Too right Squib! The whole kit 'n' kaboodle... (what is a kaboodle?)

Tannerama
08-05-2005, 06:54 PM
Well, I guess my inspirations vary depending on which aspect of my life you are talking about. But, as far as artistically? Jack Kirby, Jim Steranko, Shinichiro Watanabe, Ed McGuinness, Joe Madureira, Jim Lee, Mike Wieringo, Steve McNiven. Yeah, a lot of them are really recent but, all of them make me want to draw so I can gun for their spots on top of the proverbial heap.:D

witchking
08-05-2005, 08:53 PM
For 3D Modeling/Effects: Gray Horsfield (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1402398/)
For 2D Art/Matte Painting: Dylan Cole (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1304499/)

ScottJohnson
08-05-2005, 08:58 PM
Call me crazy, but I've always enjoyed Marc Chagall's work. Also, that "small" movement of art called impressionism is okay too ;)

victim335
08-23-2005, 01:04 PM
-The world around me
-The people I love

Khanh703
08-29-2005, 02:37 PM
Dylan Cole.

Primarily because he painted a lot of the backgrounds in the triology I consider the best movie ever made. His matte paintings are what inspired me to get back into the artsy things instead of the technical web design/programming I've been doing since graduating from the savannah college of art and design.

Bob Ross

John Singer Sargent

And my wife who actually believes I have talent... she's delusional. j/k about last part.

sijen
08-29-2005, 03:12 PM
Jonas Thornqvist
Rolhion Jean-Sebastien
Jonkajtys
H.R.Giger

heythatreallyhurts
08-29-2005, 03:41 PM
Every time I need some inspiration or to get psyched up about drawing, I go to Travis Charest's web site and look through some of his images. They're so beautiful, they make me miss working with traditional media. (If I had the extra money for tons of supplies, I'd do less digital stuff... but I spent all my money on my Wacom and Painter.) He's got this web comic called Space Girl that he does once a week (or did, I don't know if he still does it). According to him, it's just something he does for fun an hour or so a week. Man... if that takes him an hour, I must be stuck in a time warp or something. It would take me at LEAST six or seven hours to do drawings that perfect. (Of course, being at art school for three years has taught me that every artist lies about how long it took him to do a piece.)

heythatreallyhurts
08-29-2005, 03:43 PM
Dylan Cole.

Primarily because he painted a lot of the backgrounds in the triology I consider the best movie ever made. His matte paintings are what inspired me to get back into the artsy things instead of the technical web design/programming I've been doing since graduating from the savannah college of art and design.

Bob Ross

John Singer Sargent

And my wife who actually believes I have talent... she's delusional. j/k about last part.

Hey! SCAD alumnus! I'm in my last quarter there now.

beSigned
08-30-2005, 09:42 PM
everyone in here in the CG Choice galleries inspires me a lot, then a lot of music (doesn't depend on styl, it just has to have something inside - from eminem over rammstein to vivaldi), then love itself of course. sometimes a movie (irréversible, ten minutes older).

in fact everything can inspire me at least to make some ideas in my head.

hauntedspace
08-31-2005, 04:07 PM
Just a few artists who inspire and influence my work: Nicholas Hilliard, Jean Pucelle (any 11th to 15th Century illuminated MS), and of course, one of my favorite historical artists, the prolific "Anonymous".

dinodog-jr
09-01-2005, 02:30 PM
to be Frank, i dun haf a Thourough ARtist who inspired me everything.
i haf a few stages for each artists i admired. Majority are Japanese. Sorry to the western. I seldom like Westerner Hero stuff. Except Tragic Spawn by Todd McFarlene. haha

Human figure - dragonball's Akira Toriyama for my early stage character & f.Compo by Hojo Tsukasa, this artist motivate me to start drawing beautiful adult. But i failed.

Mechanical & Environment Design- Blame! by Nihei Tsutomo. ( This is where is start to draw wildly without proper outline anymore)

Story-structure - Katsuhiro Otomo

2D Animation - Katsuhiro Otomo

Today still under Great influenced by Blade of Immortal & Blame!..guess i can't get this inspiration outta my head so easily.

Any 3D artists ?
Can i say too many of em. Obviously i am still a person who enjoy traditional artwork.

Enayla
09-01-2005, 02:58 PM
Okay, I'm going to go ahead and mention three names since we're talking about people, not 'things'. Don't laugh at me.

Tim Burton -

Always at the top of the list. Anyone who knows me also knows how much I admire his work, and most of all perhaps - what kind of a creative mood it puts me in. I can never watch any of his movies without at least drawing a little afterwards… and generally, I'll be drawing a lot. I don't know what else to say. Just thinking about, for instance, Sleepy Hollow… makes me want to paint.

John Bauer -

My main artistic inspiration since childhood. I was looking through a book with his work as late as last night, and realised that he was probably the first reason for the way I like to draw men: androgynous and beautiful. More than that, though, he painted in a way where I feel at home. The environments, the colours, it feels like he walked through the same woods that I do. I don't care if he was never as technically advanced as, say, another of my favourites - Bouguereau - for me personally, he's had a lot more impact.

Brian Froud -

I saw The Dark Crystal when I was little and fell insanely in love. I lost track of him after that - there was no such thing as 'google' or 'imdb' back then for me to find out more about him through… but when I found him again, through his pressed fairy book and his other work… I fell in love with his way of thinking and his work all over again. The books are quirky, original, fun - the fairies are beautiful the way I always wanted to imagine them to be, often whimsical but sometimes dark.

bonestructure
09-01-2005, 04:01 PM
I'm inspired by Kraaftwerk, Mike Oldfield, Tangerine Dream, Stomu Yamashita, Klause Schultze, Neu,, Steve Hackett. As far as art, most of the pre raphaelites do it for me.

bonestructure
09-01-2005, 04:03 PM
As far as CG, though it's old, I still find the CG work done in the series ROUGHNECKS" STARSHIP TROOPERS CHRONICLES to be some of the best CG I've ever seen.

umbrellasky
09-02-2005, 06:51 PM
hmmm many things inspire me, nature for one :)

I allso like Brian Froud's work, his paintings are so detailed and full of character. I love John howe and Alan Lee's paintings.

Tim Burton's works are so unique and 'weird' I love them too.

Linda Bergkvist, you are an inspiration to me. I think it was you and artists such as Natascha (Kyena) and Linda-Peachysticks that helped me find a way of painting that I am comfortable with and that enables me to learn and grow.

I have recently been looking into a lot of matte painting and concept art. Artists such as: Dylan Cole and Feng Zhu are very inspiring.

I love fantasy art and images that tell a stories :)

Oh and books, lots of books inspire me such as Phillip Pullman's, Dark Materials Trilogy and J.R.R.Tolkiens LOTR series. :D

<edit> heehee keep thinking of things that inspire me :p the old masters inspire me too, like Michaelangelo and Leonardo Da Vinci :)

Spin99
09-02-2005, 07:57 PM
*CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* and umm, *CENSORED*...

3mm
09-02-2005, 11:11 PM
i'm inspired first by father of fantasy art "Frank Frazetta", then some works of Bisley, Brom,Ashlley Wood & .....

in comic :joe Mad,Travis Charest,Adam hughes,Chris Bachalo &....

in 3d :all of Blizzard Film department "BFD",Pixar, and 3d artist:1-pascal b 2-john chalfant 3-Mark Skeleton 4-Ryan Duncan 5-F.Cortina &........

SevenString
09-02-2005, 11:55 PM
musically? Symphony-X, Vanden Plas and ARK are sort my my holy trinity of musical inspirations at the moment. Plus, Russ Allen of Sym-X and Jorn Lande, formerly of ARK, are two of the best rock singers on the planet.

artistically and creatively? gotta go with a previous poster who was talking about Studio Gibli. Most every film out of that studio is chock-full of amazing ideas. Also, G. Lucas back in the day, when he made Star Wars, seemingly out of talent (his and others) and thin air. I'm STILL stunned when I realize that ANH came out nearly 30 years ago, yet the original cut (of which I have the widescreen laserdiscs) still holds up. Dayum!

Robert Rodriquez is another inspiration because he just "does it". Doesn't worry about all the extra BS: he just gets the shots.

Finally, in that same spirit, people like Terrence Walker, Tim Albee, Jason Wen, and Makoto Shinkai are cool inspirations because they're taking advantage of modern technology to create their "one-man-show" visions. I'm especially impressed with Makoto Shinkai because "Voices of a Distant Star" comes across as more of a full production, even though it was just one guy on a mac. However, anyone who tackles, and completes a full CG production on their own has my utmost respect and admiration.

Squibbit
09-03-2005, 07:41 AM
Too right Squib! The whole kit 'n' kaboodle... (what is a kaboodle?)

kaboodle? who cares, ain't it cool it's there, tho !

:bounce:

heythatreallyhurts
09-03-2005, 09:12 AM
musically? Symphony-X ... Russ Allen of Sym-X and Jorn Lande, formerly of ARK, are two of the best rock singers on the planet.

Awesome. Symphony X is one of my favorite bands. I always have them blasting while drawing or just sitting around. I actually drove four hours to Atlanta last month to see them play at Gigantour, and when I got there I found out their bus driver had gotten sick and they weren't playing. I've never been so pissed.

umbrellasky
09-03-2005, 09:12 AM
Another one, music :D I listen to a lot of music, mostly classical artists such as: Bond, Maksim, Duel, Bach. I'm a sort of all round girl when it comes to music I like a bit of everything, if I like a song I like it no matter what genre it comes from, but classical is favourite of mine.

I like a lot of film sound tracks. I loved the Collateral soundtrack, Mounlin Rogue, LotR

other music: John Mayer, james blunt, some of the latest oasis, a little bit of Jennifer Lopez, Keane, Foo fighters, Muse, Red Hot Chillie peppers.

SOE digital
09-04-2005, 08:22 AM
Hmmm. It has most definately got tobe music that inspires me. Not so much on the visual art side of things, but about 75% of scripts I've written have been based off lyrics to music.

Run Away -by The Corrs for example. Was listening to that and I started thinking about writing a story in Northern Ireland about a couple fleeing the 'war', all inspired by the title and chorus of the song.

fuss
09-05-2005, 02:57 AM
Well, I think this site inspires me the most :) . Each time I am lacking motivation to practice (I'm still a newbie :) ) I just need to load the start page of this forum in my browser and a quick glance at the thumbnails at the top is usually enough to get my lazy ass up. If I had to give you some names of artists... There are many of them, but since my main interest lies in concept art I would say it's people like Craig Mullins, Ryan Church, Feng Zhu, Scott Robertson...

And Music... Music does not really inspire me in doing art (or my doodlings, I would not call the stuff I am creating right now "art", not yet anyway :D ), but it sometimes helps me to reach a certain state of mind that really helps when drawing/practicing. Well, not quite true, music DOES sometimes inspire me, but mainly in my own songwriting, but it's a complete different topic. Anyway, I like to listen to bands like Charon, Sentenced, Poisonblack, For My Pain when doodling...

Okay, I'm going to go ahead and mention three names since we're talking about people, not 'things'. Don't laugh at me.

Tim Burton -

Always at the top of the list. Anyone who knows me also knows how much I admire his work, and most of all perhaps - what kind of a creative mood it puts me in. I can never watch any of his movies without at least drawing a little afterwards… and generally, I'll be drawing a lot. I don't know what else to say. Just thinking about, for instance, Sleepy Hollow… makes me want to paint.

(...)

Not sure why anybody should laugh about it? I had the pleasure to meet Mr. Burton and his wife personally a couple of weeks ago (they are both sooo, soo damn nice...) and I actually had a chance to talk to both of them, and you know what... I had an absolute blackout, so after some short "it's so nice to meet you blablabla" I had no idea what to talk about... They were both hanging around for quite a while at the place where I was working so I had THE chance to talk to them in an informal atmosphere and all I could do was staying there with a stupid smile on my face without being able to say a single smart sentence... I think this missed opportunity will be one of the things one regrets till his last days... But going off topic here, so I am just shutting up again.

CGTalk Moderation
09-05-2005, 02:57 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.