PDA

View Full Version : Post Apocalyptic Vehicle, Sigma (3D)

sigma
02-18-2002, 09:55 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/3469/PAV_right2c_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/3469/PAV_right2c.jpg)

Very Early WIP started this weekend. Im taking more of a MadMax approach to my vision of a PA world. I'll let you know more about the engine next update. Just wanted to officially join the challenge. I love seeing the transition from early WIP to finished product. I started late but I think I'll be able to finish.

:)

rendermonkey23
02-18-2002, 10:17 AM
Super cool. And I was thinking the same thing too... MadMax. I really like the tubing.

Rad start brotha. Keep'em comin

Elfe__noire
02-18-2002, 10:51 AM
good star ....i'm hury to see the update....

seig
02-18-2002, 11:19 AM
Yeah, sigma, you got it goin' on man!!!
(guess our sigs are kinda similar huh?...sorry, didn't notice yours when I punched mine in originally... but hey, your a moderator right, so change mine to seigen!!!:D (seriously, I'm game) Lemme know. (people always have called me seig, though)
Love your work sigma!

Leydecker
02-18-2002, 01:22 PM
Hi Sigma

will you add a big bad Gun to it also ? Something like
a Grenadelauncher w/gattling combo on top ?

Nice.

Tim

lildragon
02-18-2002, 03:42 PM
awesome dune buggy Sigma, but don't forget the other two wheels ;) ,keeping an eye on this one

Equinoxx
02-18-2002, 03:49 PM
tagged.

I'm totally lovin it sigma :)

but as lil said, dun forget the other two weels . . .

you're off to a great start.

Totitch
02-18-2002, 03:57 PM
Very very nice!!!

I think it's my favorite vehicle!
Put things on it(Weapons,baggage)! to make it more Apocalyptic!

Very good start... 5! :D

CerberusC
02-18-2002, 05:25 PM
i lie it so much, it's like a mad max vehicle hehe

Piz
02-19-2002, 12:07 AM
.... Very, very beautiful veichle!!!! :D

I like it very much!!! Bravo!!!

Piz
;)

rendermonkey23
02-19-2002, 12:13 AM
4 wheels 4 wheels 4 wheels :) IMO.

Update? :)

Gotta chant that top part to get the full effect ;)

sigma
02-19-2002, 01:53 AM
wow thx for the feedback guys. I'll have another update in a few days.

rendermonkey23: It took me awhile but It finally dawned on me this weekend. Where have I seen PA vehicles before...MADMAX! I still love those movies and they have some great reffrence material. I agree rendermonkey, 4 wheels :D
seig: lol, sry bud i cant change your nik, its really not that similar. No need to change it.
Tim Leydecker: A post apocalyptic world wouldnt be the same without a gun weilding vehicle. The Launcher/Gattling combo sounds interesting. I had plans to add a Grenade Launcher on the right side of the vehicle. More will be revield.
lildragon & Equinoxx: I knew you were gonna catch me on that lol. If you look at the back Wheels you will notice (cant really tell right now) there are two sets of tires on the back. So really there are 3 tires on each side = 6. I'll explain more in the next update.
Totitch: I like the bagage idea, I'll try to add something like that on the side. The vehicle will have lots of alternative materials like cloth and fencing. MadMax styles all the way.

thx so much for all the comments. Im glad you like it so far :)

Equinoxx
02-19-2002, 01:55 AM
ah yes, I see them double rearwheels.

excellent.

lildragon
02-19-2002, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by sigma
lildragon & Equinoxx: I knew you were gonna catch me on that lol. If you look at the back Wheels you will notice (cant really tell right now) there are two sets of tires on the back. So really there are 3 tires on each side = 6.[/B]

very clever ;)

rendermonkey23
02-19-2002, 04:15 AM
HAHAH cool... a duelly. :D

sigma
02-20-2002, 02:58 PM
Heres a small update. Still have LOTS to do. Please excuse the rendered shots :rolleyes: . Just wanted to get some suggestions. Got any ideas?

http://www.cydonian.com/server/wip/PA_vehicle_sigma1.gif
http://www.cydonian.com/server/wip/PA_vehicle_sigma2.gif

Let me know please :p

Michael
02-20-2002, 09:39 PM
Wow
This is my kinda car. Love the shape, ehh "proportions".
Really like this one.
Are u gonna texture it?

Michael

sigma
02-21-2002, 06:51 AM
lmao, mullet king from mullet world haha, thats classic. Whos the guy in your avatar?. Serious mullet! As for texturing, i hope i can get it done in time. Dont know if its required for the challenge but im sure it wouldnt hurt. I'll try to get as much done as possible. Going for a rusty/dirty look. I'll try to have another update by this weekend.

Capt Lightwave
02-21-2002, 12:00 PM
I just love the shape of this vehicle.
Looks like one of those you just can't wait to get your hands on and....YEEHAAAWW, burn some rubber.

Excellent !!!

Bug_Eyed_Earl
02-22-2002, 11:09 AM
I really like the general shape of the model. The details are super cool aswell. I would look into a little bit of organisation within the chaos though. Its looking a little disorganised. I realise thats kinda the point, but it should still have some deliberate nature too

sigma
02-22-2002, 06:10 PM
Helloooo (sigma has sleep depravation :D) Heres a shot of how its lookin so far. Still lots to do. Dont mind the frame shader its just a test. Should i continue with the roof gun? Im still thinking about it. Let me know what you think. Likes, dislikes?

http://www.cydonian.com/server/wip/PA_vehicle_sigma4.gif

:p

Leydecker
02-22-2002, 06:41 PM
I like big guns.

Tim

clifford
02-22-2002, 06:45 PM
Eeaaahheey .. very good !! I like this one
Concerning the roof gun, if it is a 360 degrees rotating gun, it's ok to me ... this buggy must be a scout .. driving behinds hills and dunes, confront enemy first lines and quickly heads back to its lines. While the enemies try to follow, it could use the roof gun, shooting everything behind it.
(Well .. ok .. my english is bad but i'm french ... the worst multilingual population ever :D)

cerreto
02-22-2002, 10:38 PM
awesome SORRY NO CRITS just a pat on the back man

Agent D
02-23-2002, 01:56 AM
Hey! I really like that thing. Good detail.
And if that's also a gun on the right side of the buggy... it might not be a scout... ;)

Look forward to seeing more of it!

sigma
02-24-2002, 04:06 AM
Thx for all the comments :D . The gun on the roof has more of a 180 degree radius and can be operated from the back. The vehicle is a 3 seater more less. Theres the driver and room for 2 in the back. The weapon on the right side is actually a sort of plasma cannon/ EMP gun( EMP=electric-magnetic-pulse ) Still working on the engine.

Everyones PA world will have a different evolution than others. The history behind my vehicle goes a little something like this. The year is 2057, 7 years after the apocalypse, 1 year after the fallout clears. Theres no super powers and no law&order. Tribes/clans are beginning to establish themselfs and start trading needed supplies from city to city. Evil lurks everywhere inbetween.

More soon. :p

sigma
02-25-2002, 03:36 PM
Just started to texture. Still lots to do!, no bump maps yet, still some modeling left, details details. Just wanted to show what direction im taking with the textures. Think of a desert planet, acid rain, sand storms. Next update should be the last. If you have any suggestions please feel free to tell me. Should i get rid of the antenna?

http://www.cydonian.com/server/wip/PA_vehicle_sigma5.gif

http://www.cydonian.com/server/wip/PA_vehicle_sigma6.gif

Bug_Eyed_Earl
02-25-2002, 03:41 PM
I like the idea of the antenna. Just do something with it - put something wound around it - or a tennis ball on it (where does that come from). Maybe make it more obvious where it attatches.

Looking good though.

Totitch
02-25-2002, 03:47 PM
Really great stuff...
It's sure now...My favorit vehicle!

sigma
02-26-2002, 12:48 AM
I see what you mean Earl. In this view you really dont get to see the left side of the vehicle. I still have lots to do. The Antenna is attached to the back of the bumper/frame. The thing im trying to avoid is having the vehicle look too much like a toy or an RC buggy. The Antenna reminds me of my RC buggy days (RC=remote controled). Maybe i will make it more like a TV antenna near the top.

Im totally shocked at how many entries there are for this months challenge! about 100 character submissions so far! thats incredible. Some great vehicle designs also, but only 2 landscape entries so i might incorporate a little scenic view of my PA world in the next update. Good luck to all the entries, some fantastic work!

comments? suggestions? :p

pFodere
02-28-2002, 08:48 PM
very good vehicle, Sigma !

high nivel for vehicle challenge too !
it' s realist

i' really like the design
one of my favourite !

liquid_tension
03-01-2002, 02:33 AM
hey sigma great job its looking very nice, could you post another picture of non smoothed version?
thanx :)

Bytehawk
03-01-2002, 02:44 AM
You're goin' along nicely. Love the look and texture of your model. Would have loved to add some cloth or similar to mine as well. Just didn't get to it...

Will the cloth or cover be a rough kinda fabric ?

sigma
03-01-2002, 06:03 AM
Thx for the feedback guys! Heres an update..

http://www.cydonian.com/server/wip/PA_vehicle_sigma7.gif

Still working on the cloth texture. Just havnt got it right yet. Also some other areas need tweaking. I'll update before the 8th.

liquid_tension: non smoothed? I'll try to add it in the next update :)
Bytehawk: Im trying to create a sort of worn, damaged, stained kind of look for the cloth.
It should have holes and torn areas when its completed.

thx everyone. more shots on monday :)

liquid_tension
03-01-2002, 09:15 AM
thanx sigma, hey i think i can tell you are using maya right? by looking at your frist posts. are you using all procedural textures??

Hmura
03-01-2002, 10:14 AM
Friggin hell !!!! :)
This is unbeliavable, superb modelling, and the texturing is spot on :D
I would love to see this baby move around the desert and run over ppl he he

Hmura

Adam Klein
03-01-2002, 11:39 AM
Incredible, the surfacing really is impressive, this one I'll look to again, as there is a lot to learn from it, and that is the best compliment I can think of.

Procedurals!! wow, very nice use of 'em

keep it up!

AK:)

pFodere
03-01-2002, 12:11 PM
oulala !! wonderful work of textures, man !!!!!

good job, one more time, mi vote it' s for you
everything with procedurals, ! congratulations,
and i hope the landscape now :D

oozeballz
03-01-2002, 02:05 PM
hey man,

first of all id like say that your mode is really good... it actually looks like it belongs in a PA'ish era.. love the textures and small details.. really like how you put different rims, and 4 wheels on the back wheels.. not too many ppl do that ..

really good work..

hey, i noticed you work in maya.. i do too, maybe we could put my character in your car?.. have a nice little animation maybe?.. just a thought.. of course it all depends if i get my model done by next week.. let me know if your interested

pabbloz
03-01-2002, 02:14 PM
very very good sigma!! I love the firty wheels!
For me it's already perfect.
but I would like see it in a "scene" with velocity feeling, you know. smoke in the wheels, some blur, depth of field,.. a dry terrain... well
Put the vehicle in situtation! :D

Good Luck!

Bytehawk
03-01-2002, 02:32 PM
nice texturing work. procedural or painted ?

sigma
03-01-2002, 09:08 PM
Thanks everyone!
For those wondering (liquid, Adam, patrick, Bytehawk) yes they are procedural textures (Maya). But there are 2 image maps (bumps) on the cloth and EMP gun. I only just started to realize how to properly use procedurals this past weekend. I love them!

patrick: thx for the kind words, I'll try to get the landscape done in time. It wont be too detailed but it should add some atmosphere. ;)
oozeballz: Thats so weird you mentioned that, i actually had a similar idea. Since i never got to finish the last challenge ( Pirate concept (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&goto=lastpost&threadid=755) ) I was thinking about throwing him into the scene after the deadline, maybe do a little animation. There is still room for a gunner so who knows, might be possible. Let you know when its done.
pabbloz: I know exactly what you mean. I would love to animate it speeding through the desert, dust flying. Once the challenge is over I'll work on the Animation.

Thx everyone! I appreciate the responses.

chrom
03-03-2002, 11:43 AM
wow man like it
great detail and textures, perfect

CHEERS
.chrom

haseeb
03-03-2002, 01:20 PM
hi,

i like this most.. from all..

specially aggressive feel and nice propoitons.. put feel in it..
when u animate this. thing.. show us all ..love to see it moving on terrian or environment..

lala

LichiMan
03-03-2002, 03:04 PM
AWESOME!!
WOW!! Look the textures!!
I love the wheels, the textures.... I love all!! 5 stars or more!!

Michael
03-03-2002, 09:05 PM
This vehicle is just incredible. Glad you managed to texture it. I really dig this one.
And my avatar: Dont know if should say this, but it is me...
Ok and a tad photoshop work, at least the face is mine, and I dont have a musatche, thats my eyebrowes rubber stamped in place:)

Michael

Piz
03-03-2002, 11:12 PM
mmm.... Impressive....
Very :cool:

B R A V O !

Bye
Piz
:D

sigma
03-04-2002, 10:50 PM
Thanks for all the comments!
Heres an outdoor test. Im not too good with lighting so if someone has any tips on creating a more realistic feel please let me know. Too much contrast? does it need more ambient light? I think ive been looking at it too long :D. Some modeling still left to do on the left side, also some texture issues. I got 4 days left! I'll post the final on Friday.

Right side shot:
http://www.cydonian.com/server/wip/PA_vehicle_sigma8.gif
Left side shot:
http://www.cydonian.com/server/wip/PA_vehicle_sigma9.gif

lildragon
03-04-2002, 11:05 PM
wow :cool: very very nice, I'm loving the feel of this, now put a character in there :p

I still want that cloth texture :)

also the shadows are really light, there's not to much depth happening there, and it makes the image appear floaty and almost bare :), also smooth those dang mountains will ya!! very very good job man, you got a vote from me

cheers

sigma
03-04-2002, 11:33 PM
haha, yea i see the floatiness also. The landscape needs some SERIOUS work lol. Just trying to get a basic atmosphere for the possible 'PA landscape' entry. I stress the word possible. So your saying darker shadows? thats probably whats been bothering me. All this time i was worried the shadows were too dark on the vehicle. Its messin with my eyes ;) I'll fix it up for Friday.

Thx LD.

texture: we will talk.:cool:
driver: coming soon. pirate from last month :)
your vote: thx bud! :D

pabbloz
03-05-2002, 03:39 AM
sigma, your vehicle is excelent! really good!

but it doesn't fix very well with the environment, and I think it could be for these reasons:
-The vehicle is very textured and the floor very simple.
-The textures have a lot of shadows and in the illumination there is only one light
-It seems to be sticked, why don't you try to add dust in the wheels to disimulate the contact with the floor?.

It's an excelent model but I think you need add rubbish to the environment to complete the scene.

Could I explain it? :( :D

Good luck!

KOryH
03-05-2002, 05:11 AM
Hey sigma,
When in doubt use NO ambient light. and then work up from there. first add big light that covers the veiwable area. this light should be faint, cast no shadows or very blurry, and be the hue you would like your shadows to be. then add your MAIN object light. this will cast the shadows you want. then add a FILL light. this should be comming from the opposite direction of the MAIN light. Make the FILL light about half the intensity of the MAIN light. If needed, add a KICK or RIM light for extra descriptive lighting.
Here is a quick demo...
http://korysdiner.homestead.com/files/TUTORIALS/LD_1.gif

Basic, I know but some times it helps to reiterate some of these concepts. I hope that helps. If not go ahead and slap me.

BTW I really like this design. I wish I had the ability and patience to model like that! Very impressive

psumo
03-05-2002, 06:49 AM
You should also add a bounce light thats the same color as the ground coming from right underneath the object with intensity about half the fill light.

eirenicon
03-05-2002, 06:52 AM
Those lighting tips are, of course, if you're not using GI. Which makes my life about twenty times easier :)

Looks awesome, btw. Great work on the texturing.

sigma
03-06-2002, 10:05 PM
http://www.cydonian.com/server/wip/PA_vehicle_sigma9b.gif

Just wanted to get eveyones opinion on the new lighting setup. This ones Raytraced. Little better than the last setup ;) . I dont think I will enter the Landscape challenge. Too much to do.

Once again, thx for all the feedback and especially the lighting tips.
pabbloz: Thx for those points. I appreciate the response.
KOryH: Thats a great little animated tutorial gif. It helped. I learned the three point lighting system in college but we never really studied Global Illumination techniques. Thx alot for the tips. PS. Your Soul Reaver work is outstanding.
psumo:Thx psumo. The bounce light/kick light issue... I think I might of added to much to my kick/bounce light, or maybe too much ambient.
timothy:Thx Tim. I just wish Maya had a GI system. Im experimenting with a couple plugins like raydiffuse. We will see how it turns out.

Thanks again everyone! Let me know what you think of the latest lighting setup. More shadows? Less ambient light?

Bytehawk
03-07-2002, 02:57 AM
kewl piccy. nothing to criticise. Maybe the background a little more subdivided, but else, great.

pabbloz
03-07-2002, 11:07 PM
really really really really really really really really better illumination
Very good.
now is perfect!
If you are boring and you can add some bump in the floor,... would be greater :D

bentllama
03-08-2002, 12:27 AM
nice work. if you want to animate it, czech dis owt:

http://www.gignews.com/kappmarch02.htm

sigma
03-09-2002, 08:48 AM
Thx guys!
Hey bentllama thats exactly what Ive been looking for. Thanks for the link!

Heres the final last shots for the challenge. So much for the Landscape but there simply wasnt enough time. Its a miracle I got this far in 20 days. It was fun watching it transform into this...thing. The textures still need some tweaks and maybe a little more detail is needed but its basicly done. The Engine runs on a mixture of Nuclear Waste Material (liquids) lmao it could happen:D. Guess you have to use your imagination. Theres also a high density Solar Panel located on the left side of the vehicle (second image on right). The weapon on the right is an Electric Magnetic Pulse Canon (to take out the enemies robotic vehicles. ha). Of course this is all fantasy :D. Hope you like my vehicle. Sorry there isnt more shots, I ran out of render time :(
Next project: Animate a high speed chase!

http://www.cydonian.com/server/wip/PA_vehicle_sigma10.gif

Thanks again for all the feedback these past weeks. It really helped. :)
Good luck to all!

Lonewolf
03-10-2002, 01:18 AM
I know those pics are final but if you ever feel like coming back to it, you can never see the entire wheel when it's on sand, i think if some of those dunes slightly obscured the bottom of those wheels it would be a lot more realistic.

sigma
03-10-2002, 02:21 AM
Very true Lonewolf. I wont be putting it down after this challenge. This was only for the 'vehicle' part of the challenge. I was hoping i could do a landscape but I really didnt have enough time. I will continue working on it in the coming weeks. The textures need work and of course the landscape needs ALOT of work. Its just a basic setting for the model. I just didnt want to render it with the grey ground plane. As far as modeling on the vehicle is concerned, its done. Thx for the feedback wolf.

rendermonkey23
03-10-2002, 04:56 AM
Just wanted to say that this ve-he-cle is pretty darn bad ass. I love the textures and the detail.

Lots of style :)

sigma
03-15-2002, 12:59 AM
Since the challenge is over now, Id thought I share some of the refrence material i used when designing my vehicle. http://www.madmaxmovies.com/cars/madmax3/ You can spot the vehicle that influenced me the most, but in the end they all helped. Thx to all those who gave me feedback and voted for my entry. I'll post an update in the coming weeks with an animation test.

rendermonkey23
03-15-2002, 01:34 AM
sweet, cant wait to see a ani. Which ref. photo was it? j/k

Yours is better anyway :)

Theta-Dot
01-25-2003, 11:31 PM
yes give us an animation!

=ThetaDot=

cuse
01-29-2003, 05:17 PM
oh my god, great work, what a car! :)

hope there will be time in the future to set an animation with this baby :)

cuse

dazrenius
05-30-2003, 02:52 AM
I really like your concept and rendering...must have been a lot of work :thumbsup:

YBdesign
06-05-2003, 03:31 PM
Hi everybody I M new

cool work:applause:

YBdesign
06-05-2003, 03:32 PM
cool:airguitar

hometime
08-29-2003, 12:03 PM
Very nice texturing, modeling and lighting.

homeboyslim
11-28-2004, 12:21 PM
Mabye make some tracks in the desert behind it??
GREAT work man...I am jealous.

psycho1
11-29-2004, 07:47 PM
great work man i love the car but theres only one thing that i dont like your tires have sand all around it i know sand get everywere but its to "perfect" you know what i mean.
keep up the great work.

ROCK ON:twisted: :buttrock:

mexus
01-12-2005, 04:05 PM
Yes, I like it alot too! It does seem like the rear left tire doesn't exist though.. the front one is there. Great job on the texturing and feel. :)

@lias
06-13-2005, 02:59 PM
old is gold

TETRAGRAMMATON
07-20-2005, 11:10 AM
What a solid dune buggy bulldozer,i want it.It is so real and covered of sand grains.

liuchunlei
03-29-2006, 01:23 PM
I love it .the erth was made well.

CGTalk Moderation
03-29-2006, 01:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.